Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 07:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 08:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 08:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 07:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 02:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 09:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 09:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 10:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 10:56 PM

Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Concerned Survivalist

Advertise Here

I so want to live a simpler lifestyle such as this. What I mean is, live the way I want to live. Unfortunatley right now I am a slave to the system. Just got a promotion at work and more money. Bummer huh? I'm thinkin two more years of it.

I guess in times like this, I should be thankful. I'm being told I earned it, don't be thankful. But very humbled.

Maybe this will help me achieve my dream or get me a little closer to being COMPLETELY off the grid.

Mike I will thank again, and again, love to hear what you got to say.

Last edited by Backwoods860; 11-24-2009 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods860 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 19,780 Times in 4,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods860 View Post
I so want to live a simpler lifestyle such as this. What I mean is, live the way I want to live. Unfortunatley right now I am a slave to the system. Just got a promotion at work and more money. Bummer huh? I'm thinkin two more years of it.
For the past ten years especially I have tried to live a simpler lifestyle although most would think I have always lived a simple life and that I have always lived the way I want to live. Not completely true for it has been a slow process in trying to do what I want and need to do. I know of No one who truly does Everything they want to do. Even some rich people who seem to do about any and everything still do not seem satisfied and those I have met and even heard about seem to be constantly worried about losing everything.

Myself, I just try to live on as little money as possible which is not especially easy but for me anyway, it is more difficult working for others and having a boss and feeling trapped in a job.

I feel the Most free while on my mtn place. Up there I am King of the mountain while in the city I am just another worker ant, hurrying and scurrying around trying to make money, trying to not spend too much money in the money sucking city and also in the city mostly doing what I do not want to do.

Quote:
I guess in times like this, I should be thankful. I'm being told I earned it, don't be thankful. But very humbled.

Maybe this will help me achieve my dream or get me a little closer to being COMPLETELY off the grid.
You should be thankful if that is how you want to live, as part of the system and society. But if people do not own land then they must save up, try to find a good place that is not already taken and buy it before it is too late!

Quote:
Mike I will thank again, and again, love to hear what you got to say.
Thanks for the good words and I have posted a lot in 3 different pic threads now But I do have a Lot more I could say, if I get the motivation and nerve to say it all.

And I would like to explain and even tell more experiences about the bear, actually two bothersome bears over the past two years and many other experiences also. Probably later....
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2009, 03:29 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Hope a few see the first post on this page 3 about wishing a safe and Happy Thanksgiving - many call it just Turkey Day anymore.

I am going thru the river and over the woods to my grandma's bunker for Thanksgiving. Which is now my uncle's bunker - mainly a wheat farm near Stoneham, Colorado.

There Is a Stoneham pop. maybe 50. Could be and it has for many years, been a fairly good survival retreat area. Quite a few homesteaders got their start around there a hundred or so years ago. The ones who survived the Dust bowl days of the dirty thirties have nice wheat farms now. Not so many left today...

Almost forgot > Almost killed a Turkey today > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=85004

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-26-2009 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: added link
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:

Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Enjoyed all your latest pictures. If I manage to get back up there next summer , do you think Lady and the bear would get along with each other? I don't think so as Lady is very jealous. Then too she would be scared to death as she is afraid of her own shadow. Really a brave one, EH?, Keep up the good work and God Bless
Jack
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tinacci For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacci View Post
Enjoyed all your latest pictures. If I manage to get back up there next summer , do you think Lady and the bear would get along with each other? I don't think so as Lady is very jealous. Then too she would be scared to death as she is afraid of her own shadow. Really a brave one, EH?, Keep up the good work and God Bless
Jack
Hi Jack,

Glad to see you around again.

If anyone likes to see mtn place pics I know you do. Although you have your own homestead in the middle of Tennessee, I think it is 100 acres with fields and hills.

If no one has guessed, Jack's Lady is a golden retriever. Similar to his beloved Ginger who he had for many years.

To anyone who might care and who might read this, Jack is a retired Navy man. He retired the year I was born - 1958! He was at Pearl Harbor a year or so before it was attacked. Not sure if he was there during the attack. Maybe ol Jack will come back and tell us some true stories...

He is 93 and has been a survivalist long before the term was invented in the 1970's. He used mules to farm with when he was young, has been a trucker and I don't know what all.

Jack has probably forgotten more survival knowledge and experience than most will ever have.

Here is his first post if any are interested > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...530133=post#34
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Not new

Maybe here, Mtnman Mike?

I don't know where I saw that request about harnessing a stream for power.

Alternative Energy Engineering, Redway, CA 95560 knows all that. They have stainless steel peltier-systems, that rely on having a captured (in a pipe) distance of fall. They have a stainless steel torpedo-looking generator for a reasonably fast flowing stream.

They also have hi-lifter water pumps, if the water is down in a ravine.

I know about Alternative Energy Engineering because I got my solar panels there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ConnieD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieD View Post
Maybe here, Mtnman Mike?

I don't know where I saw that request about harnessing a stream for power.

Alternative Energy Engineering, Redway, CA 95560 knows all that. They have stainless steel peltier-systems, that rely on having a captured (in a pipe) distance of fall. They have a stainless steel torpedo-looking generator for a reasonably fast flowing stream.
I think I have seen posts about harnessing streams for power. Not enough time to look it all up now. But here is where it was discussed a little on my 2nd pic thread > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...page=2=post#28 and a tiny bit in the next post #29 also.

IF anyone has links etc. to give about using generators etc. to make electricity from streams, creeks etc. please post them.

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-30-2009 at 06:06 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Hiker

Mike, this is a very good thread you have here. Funny, I'm a Ragnar fan too but don't have that book. I'll have to pick it up soon.

That was an excellent checklist and I made sure the others of our little group got to see it as well. I'm happy to report that most of the questions that were applicable I could answer "yes" to. The few that I couldn't give me food for thought or projects to start.

One question I have is say things go bad during winter, how do you plan to get to your area or do you plan to try to wait until the thaw? This is something that bothers me around this time every year as I have less than a month here then forget it until late April. I do have a solution for me and mine but am curious about how you've solved it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fishbread For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbread View Post
Mike, this is a very good thread you have here. Funny, I'm a Ragnar fan too but don't have that book. I'll have to pick it up soon.

Ragnar Benson's book "The Survival Retreat" was one of the very first survival books that I read - in 1983. - said MM Mike

That was an excellent checklist and I made sure the others of our little group got to see it as well. I'm happy to report that most of the questions that were applicable I could answer "yes" to. The few that I couldn't give me food for thought or projects to start.

Hope some will print out that checklist for the future and even pass it around. I guess it was 2 hours of my time that it took to type out, well spent. Early next year I should make a new thread specifically about survival retreats and include that retreat checklist. Next year I plan to post even more seriously, during this "holiday" season people possibly are not as interested but January is a good month to get started and get serious again. - said MM Mike

One question I have is say things go bad during winter, how do you plan to get to your area or do you plan to try to wait until the thaw? This is something that bothers me around this time every year as I have less than a month here then forget it until late April. I do have a solution for me and mine but am curious about how you've solved it.
Good question and I wish more would ask me any kind of questions even criticize & ridicule my survival retreat If that is possible.

I Hope to not have to get to my mtn place in the winter But if necessary I can get up there. I have went up there a few times in Jan. March and April as seen in some of my snowiest pics.

It is about a four hour drive since I am in Greeley, CO for the winter, well usually until mid June then back up to paradise = my mtn place.
I know 7 different routes to get there with variations on each route.

The paved state highway a mile from my land is closed with a locked gate six miles below my land and is turned into a snowmobile trail until early June. Well, no snowmobiles usually after April but the road does not open until early or mid June.
Which is extremely good security for my mtn retreat since so far, I am not up there much in the winter until June.

I have used a snowmobile a little but mainly I use snowshoes. It is not easy but almost nothing is easy to do up there even in the summer. The harder it is to get to then the more secure a retreat etc. is. With so much powdery snow even snowmobiles have a real hard time getting down the private road for a mile to my mtn place. I have seen a snowmobile stuck in a drift when they got off the groomed trail and onto the private road. One more reason snowshoes and cross country skis are better than snow machines, at least for those in good physical condition.

I have quite a bit of food stored such as canned food and wheat, beans etc. in the two 55 gallon sealed steel drums plus a Lot of firewood which I plan to fill the large woodshed also.

I Hope that the SHTF etc. will happen when I am on my mtn survival place from mid June to Nov. like I have been for the past ten years. But IF things go bad in winter or spring when I am in the stinkin city, then I can try to stay in the city as long as possible but IF necessary I have plans to be able to get to my remote mtn place also which I hope I explained well enough to show how I would get up there.

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 12-01-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Old 12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Back of beyond!

Location: the high country, n. Arizona. Just recently bought a house off the grid, & had solar pwr installed.
Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,727 Posts

Mike, how do I create a photo album here?? I can't see a link to upload pictures. Any help will be appreciated!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to desert wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert wanderer View Post
Mike, how do I create a photo album here?? I can't see a link to upload pictures. Any help will be appreciated!
Glad you asked and I think quite a few do not know how to post pics. My first pic thread in the NBC forum I used angelfire and made a website but I learned from someone I think in March how to post thumbnails which I like best.

To add pics directly from your computer go to the reply area and click "go advanced" then below that click "manage attachments" then click choose or browse and upload your pics. Up to ten pics at a time.

I use thumbnails for they are easier, more private and seem to last Much longer than photobucket, and people can just click on the ones they wish to look at by reading the captions.

Everyone now has no excuse to put up some pics either in this thread or your own.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Hiker

How do you take care of your hot water needs, such as for showering?

We use those black solar showers that roll up.

Thanks, Mike.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ducttape For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,580 Times in 1,844 Posts
Awards Showcase

Mike, I understand you have a lot of food stored in your barrels. My question is, do you think you can sustain without outside help?

I know you have elk, (great story about your encounter too) deer, bear and such. Your growing season, and land is really limited though. Not being able to raise chickens or other animals could really hamper long term too.

While it seems like an ideal location to defend, and avoid people, it seems like you would have difficulties in the long run.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swwjeff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Not new

Those links and posts were the ones I saw. That is why I mentioned stainless steel.

The waterfall is why I mentioned "distance of fall".

Quote:
They have stainless steel peltier-systems, that rely on having a captured (in a pipe) distance of fall. They have a stainless steel torpedo-looking generator for a reasonably fast flowing stream.
Alternative Energy Engineering information link
"
The are wholesale to the trade. However, they accept "walk-in".

That is what I did. I walked in the door.

Because they are a first-class outfit, they attend the shows, and so, after a show they have great stuff at great prices, if you are a walk-in. They had stuff marked down just sitting on the floor and over 40 panels I wanted, leaning against the wall.

I got 4 Kyocera solar panels in the model optimized for cold and able to withstand hail, at a reduced price. The solar panels had a hole for the ground wire, because they had been used in the show.

Here is their online presence, however to the trade.

I have been snowed in months at a time. I stock up fresh frozen food and canned food. I can food. I have dried food. I have packaged food. I perfect recipes. I have internet and amateur radio and short wave listening. I take magazines. I have books on tape. I get DVD's.

Are you 6 miles showshoe, between April and June? I am a half mile or more snowshoe. If 6 miles, stock up to remain inside that two months, plus a little more to be on the side of safety.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ConnieD For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieD View Post
Are you 6 miles showshoe, between April and June? I am a half mile or more snowshoe. If 6 miles, stock up to remain inside that two months, plus a little more to be on the side of safety.
Glad to see some questions. But I only have time right now to answer the easiest one which is Connie's. swwJeff's question is the most difficult and will take me much longer to explain, probably in detail which is just the way I explain things, hope it does not bother some. I may not even answer Jeff's post too soon. I do have a little bit of a life outside the internet and I think I have been posting a little too much as I have been reprimanded by someone who seems upset about my postings > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...page=2=post#24

They thus made me a little angry but I suppose I better not post or "advertise" or even tell about this thread so that Many can see it. People would not like it if I am angry or hungry = a quote from a ridiculous movie... which begins with H--k

The state of Wyoming closes the state highway that runs about a mile from my mtn place, around mid November. They close it with a locked gate and there is a large parking area mainly for snowmobilers and snowshoers and even cross country skiers to park by the locked gate. This locked gate is six miles from my mtn place so if I go up there in the winter and/or spring then I would have to park there and snowshoe six miles from mid Nov. to June. They open the gate and road around mid June when they plow the road open. In May and June the snow is melting fairly fast and the highway is exposed within two miles of my mtn place. Which I have ridden a mtn bike from the locked gate to where the snow begins then snowshoe or even hike in the snow up to my land.

Hope this makes sense. In short I would have to snowshoe and/or hike from the locked gate from mid Nov. to about mid June. I do have much stored food such as in the two 55 gallon steel drums so I think I have quite a few months worth. If and or when I ever move up there permanently I would have much more food stored as well as much more firewood etc.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducttape View Post
How do you take care of your hot water needs, such as for showering?

We use those black solar showers that roll up.

Thanks, Mike.
And I thank you Ducttape for asking.

I do use the black plastic bags - solar shower, that is when I take a shower up there. Since I am by myself about all the time and since I have many more important things to do than heat water and take so much time and energy taking a shower, I sometimes go 2 weeks or so without showering. I shower much more when in the city of course.

My mom and dad said they took baths only on Saturday nights which was around 60 years ago. And many people do not bathe or shower every day, especially in the past and I have heard the French may go a week. Some anyway?

I can also use a cloth and keep fairly clean. It is not too easy to heat water on my cool shady mtn place except on my sunny hillside which is high and dry and a little too far from the water being about fifty feet higher in elevation than my two springs.

I have to work more on getting hot water but for now as I have for years now, I just mainly heat, boil water in pots over a fire using wood stoves and Coleman gas stoves.

I would like to make a heated shower using a barrel etc. But it is a low priority compared to the thousand other things I have to do. Such as I have begun to build a new small cabin into the hillside which maybe next year I will take pics of my progress in building that new and difficult project.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,167 Times in 3,028 Posts

I have a couple of questions, Mtnman Mike, if you have time. How do you keep the canned food you keep up there from freezing when winter sets in so early? Also, in one picture, it shows that the bear chewed through a container of anti-freeze...not that it matters much (except maybe to the bear), but would that poison him? Again, thanks for all the helpful insight.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
How do you keep the canned food you keep up there from freezing when winter sets in so early? Also, in one picture, it shows that the bear chewed through a container of anti-freeze...not that it matters much (except maybe to the bear), but would that poison him? Again, thanks for all the helpful insight.
Good questions grandma, thanks for asking. Someday I will get to Jeff's question but it is difficult and will take preparation, quite a bit of time and energy to answer. I do have an answer but have to try to make a perfect answer and he said for me to take my time in a message to me. Also I think I answered a bit of his question in my answer to Action Jackson on page one.

But grandma, I have not even tried to keep the canned food from freezing. This past October when I was up there it got colder a little earlier than usual and most of my water also froze solid. Even some water in an insulated jug. The water in plastic containers inside my truck and where I slept did not get frozen.

I do not have much canned food that is more than 2 years old but this past summer I did eat quite a bit of the "old" canned food that had been frozen. It was like it was freeze dried when I opened the cans but I added water and cooked-boiled the canned food such as ravioli etc.

Hopefully someday soon I will have an even better place to store things, such as to make a root cellar and even deeper and better fallout shelter in the back of my bunker. A root cellar way in the back that I can seal also so that it should not freeze and probably not get below fifty degrees Fahrenheit even if it is below zero outside.

I had accidentally left the anti-freeze out by my pickup truck and the bear got it one night. In the future I must keep it and other things locked up better such as in the large tool box on my truck. Probably the same night he got much of my garden. Although he seemed to come to the garden over a few nights and I believe during the blizzard also. I believe the bear drank or licked up most of the anti-freeze but it did not kill him. It was a half and half - half anti-freeze and half-water mix. Also I don't think companies are making anti-freeze/coolant poisonous like they used to, possibly someone knows more about this?

I have heard it is not real easy to poison a bear. And I have read that near Hudson Bay Canada that polar bears drink anti-freeze with no ill effects. Not sure if any here know about this first hand?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Whew, I am a little worn out from trying to keep up with the Many private messages, emails and now posts in some threads. Here is the latest thread that truly is related to this pic thread and I tried to answer the best I could. But if any read this post then hope they will also be interested in this thread about OpSec and about posting too much > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=86598

Any comments in this thread or in the above link will be nice to see.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Here is a post that is very relevant to this survival retreat pic thread and all 3 of my threads. Not sure why? and I wonder who he might be talking about? It is a poetic post and one of the best posts I have seen and just thought some who read here would like to see it >

Faith in the kindness of others of like mind
I once had a dream that someone I met had a secure home away from a world full of dangers.

This kind and helpful man hinted that he might welcome a very few people as company if they were respectful and willing to learn.

No way would I mistake his meekness for weakness.

This man shares his woods with a bear.
The bear shares his woods with the man.
Between the two of them they worked it out.

I have such respect for that kind of man that my life is richer just for having known that this kind of man still exists in this world.

I sincerely hope the world is never so entirely paranoid that nobody with a pound of security would ever share an ounce with anyone else.

Wheel

The above post can be found on page 3 of this thread > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=86598