Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 07:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 08:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 08:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 07:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 02:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 09:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 09:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 10:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 10:56 PM

Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,412 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
I am not absolutely certain but I don't think that most if any are seeing the optical illusion in pics 12 and 12.1 so I drew a red line around them and hope that now people can see them. Looks like an ET or gollum does it Not??

One guy messaged me and said he thought I maybe went crazy and am now seeing things....
I am not saying I believe in ET = extra terrestrials but the pic is very interesting.

Plz tell me I am Not the Only one to see the ET in this pic. I did Not create this pic only took it and then noticed it when the film was developed.

In the 2nd pic everyone Should be able to see it with the red line drawn around its head. See the nose, eye or eyes and half a grin??
I thought it was that little rabbit looking thing off to the right corner, so I didn't see what you were talking about at first.

Hey we got another GSD. This summer you missed all the action, but we got a GSpuppy around July and named him Jackson. He died the same week of Michael Jackson. UGH.

So now we have another....Troy. He's much bigger now, but I haven't taken any recent pix. I need to do that this week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squeak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
I thought it was that little rabbit looking thing off to the right corner, so I didn't see what you were talking about at first.

Hey we got another GSD. This summer you missed all the action, but we got a GSpuppy around July and named him Jackson. He died the same week of Michael Jackson. UGH.

So now we have another....Troy. He's much bigger now, but I haven't taken any recent pix. I need to do that this week.
Well crap I didn't wait for the upload process!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0965.JPG   DSCN0967.jpg   DSCN0969.jpg  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to squeak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2009, 03:45 PM
V

Thanked 34,601 Times in 13,895 Posts

Great pic's MM thankyou so much for sharing, some points though if I may? lol I'm asking but gunna anyway

1: Yes I see ET
2: You forgot the guest room........... where am I gonna sle........... wotcha mean I aint invited ?

Seriously though always enjoy the pics of your place
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smudge For This Useful Post:

Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 19,778 Times in 4,043 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
Great pic's MM thankyou so much for sharing, some points though if I may? lol I'm asking but gunna anyway

1: Yes I see ET
2: You forgot the guest room........... where am I gonna sle........... wotcha mean I aint invited ?
But you are invited if they will let you into the US.

You could sleep in the bear's den, I showed one pic of it toward the end of the pics. In the summer he is probably not there.

And I could always use more help such as a good smudger - which I had to look up > from the Urban Dictionary:
smudger
the nickname for a person named Smith
"there goes Smudger again, always after 'is 'oggins"
by theWestHamfan Oct 22, 2003

A universal (curse)word. Can be used for anything.
You're such a smudger.
smudge smudged smudgerr smuj smudg
by Jacoboo Jan 22, 2009

Person, male or female, who uses and frozen poo
Did you see in Bob's freezer he must be a smudger with all that frozen poo.

A trd that once layed requires almost a whole roll of toilet paper to clean up after.
"When you go to the shops get some more TP, ive just done a smudger and used the last roll".

buy smudger mugs, tshirts and hoodies

photographer
Yeah, he's a smudger (Photographer)

If any cannot tell, I am just kidding the Smudge.

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-23-2009 at 12:52 AM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Squeak and elkhound thanks for all the good pics. Post more if you have em.

Elkhound I think that bears have become a much worse problem for everyone who lives in Their territory anyway.
Especially over the past 2 or 3 years. Over the past five years I have heard that up to 90% of the lodgpole pine forest has been killed by pine beetles. I read over 6 million acres in the USA and over 35 million acres of pine forest in Canada has been killed.

And that makes for less live forest for bears and other wildlife. I never saw bears in the daytime until 2 years ago. This past summer - actually Sept. to late Oct. the bear hung around my mtn place and a large area around it. I think he visited every cabin within a 2 mile radius. Which would be about 30 cabins up there. Hope he goes into another area next summer for I think someone might shoot that bear next year.

The bear killed all of your chickens? Looks like he did quite a bit of damage. You probably felt like shooting him but would you have?

I felt like shooting that bear especially after he destroyed two of my tents. I actually had 4 tents up but my sleeping tent he just tore a small area because it was surrounded by a heavy wire fence and the tent with my Big Berkey water filter was torn but it looked like the bear took a knife down the side and then he knocked over the filter and water containers which was all there was inside.
My supply tents with much canned food, clothes etc. the bear completely tore apart. I think he must have done it during the blizzard which was the only time I was not out and about. He chewed holes into about 10 cans and bit into bags of clothes, even pulling out a couple sleeping bags which were extras.

When I saw the torn apart tents I got pretty angry and then saw that bear less than a hundred yards away. I just grabbed the nearest board which had a few nails on the end and ran towards the bear yelling. He took off up the mountain side. I kept chasing him but it was a fairly steep hillside so it was not too fast a chase.

He ran fifty feet or so then looked back. I kept chasing and yelling at him and he ran on up again. He could move pretty fast for such a fat bear. I have read and heard and experienced with other bears that it is best to show no fear. With mtn lions and bears etc. never run away. It can trigger their attack response. Especially mtn lions will chase. But these black bears are usually always timid and will run away. The Only time I ever heard of a black bear killing someone was in Colorado about ten years ago when a guy shot a bear. Which just made the bear mad and it killed the guy. That guy was by his camper trailer! He could have just went inside and even just shot over the bear's head like some do.

After I followed my bear for more than a thousand feet I came to a lot of tracks. And I saw a large wood pile that over fifty years ago was a site for a saw mill. There were fox dens in the large pile of wood but the bear took over a fox den and enlarged it for his own. First time I have seen a bear's den. I could and would have killed the bear IF he would have attacked me or even ran at me. But like all bears that I have encountered he ran away. Especially with my yelling and running at him....
I believe that people who live in mtn and wilderness areas, in territories of very wild animals such as bears etc. then people should not be surprised and should not want to so readily Kill bears etc. just because the animals are looking for food and just because they might do some damage. Only kill an animal if it attacks you, which is pretty rare with almost all animals that I have ever known or heard about, in the lower 48 states anyway. I love wildlife and will not kill Unless absolutely necessary.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods860 View Post
Hi Mike my name is Ed and you don't know me or owe me anything. You don't even have to answer my questions.

How long does the snow hang around up there? It looks like tough livin.

How many square feet in the place???

Is it built into the side of a hill?

How long is your grow season?

Why did you have to guard a snow machine trailer and camper? Was it not on your property?

That was fresh snow from this month? Today is the 21st WOW!!!!!

Why did you have to sleep in your truck? I am confused on that.

Do you have a snow machine for winter travel?

Just some questions from a fellow survivalist. Thanks again.
Thanks for the questions Ed. Unlike many people I like answering questions especially about my survival retreat. I do Not talk too much at all about my retreat, bunker etc. in "real" life. Most "real" people are not interested for they are too busy talking about sports, their jobs etc. etc.

Some years it does not snow until mid or late October on my mtn place. But This year the first snow was mid August when there was an inch of wet snow. Then some in Sept. Then Sept. 30th it started raining which turned to snow Oct. 1st. There was snow on the ground everyday in October. The first time I have seen that since I bought my land in 1987.

And snow does make everything harder. Even just a couple inches of snow makes it slippery especially on my steep hillside. From Nov. to June there is from 3 to 12 feet of snowpack up there. This is hard snowpack which accumulates over the winter. As seen in my first pics in this thread there was still snow on my mtn place in mid June and it did not completely melt until mid July. In the most shady areas by the springs there was patches of snow until July 20th this year which is about two weeks longer than most years.

My land is 3 and 1/2 acres which is surrounded by a million plus acre national forest with much private land mixed in also. But the square feet of my underground shelter/bunker is at least 140 sq. ft. It is 20 feet long by 7 feet wide. Any wider and the bunker is weaker as I got the plans from this free book > www.oism.org/nwss

If people look at all of my pics, which are on 3 different threads now, I hope maybe they can see my bunker is built into a hill - mountainside - the side of the Continental Divide actually. The top of the Divide is about a mile from my land, uphill at Battle pass. Less if you go straight up thru the forest.

My growing season might be longer If I ever move permanently up there for I would have a greenhouse to extend the growing from May to maybe Nov. Without a greenhouse and with so much snow still around until July then my growing season is best from July 1st to Oct. 1st. Which I showed in the pics that broccoli, spinach, lettuce, radishes, carrots and any cool weather veggies are best up there. Carrots take longer and I usually get the carrots the 2nd year. Carrots and spinach etc. live well under the deep snow and come up and grow faster the 2nd year.

The last pics which show the camper trailer and dark colored snow mobile trailer were parked about 30 feet from the paved state highway that is a mile up the dirt road from my place. With the heavy deep snows it was best to park everything by the highway which is plowed into Nov. until the hunting season is over.

I guarded the snowmobile trailer especially for there were 3 nice snowmobiles and a fairly new atv inside it. It was locked but anyone could have backed up, hooked it up and drove off with it. Neighbors left it up there for they had a heavy load of firewood and tools that they had loaded on their pickup and did not want to also haul the trailer to their place near Laramie, WY which is about 100 miles to the east.

All of the pics I have posted show fresh snow. As I said it started snowing the most heavily Oct. 1st and so there has been snow covering the ground ever since and will not melt until next June and not completely melt until next July.

I did not Have to sleep in my large pickup truck but I felt it was best. I started sleeping a day or so before the biggest blizzard which was Oct. 9 and kept snowing off and on until Oct. 14th. Mainly I slept inside the truck because of the bear. I knew this was not an average bear for this one bit into cans. I have seen a lot of bears but this is the first to bite into cans and bags of clothes etc. Usually they just get into garbage if any is around and not cans for they cannot smell the food inside cans. I just felt more comfortable inside the truck and I had about all my most valuable stuff inside the truck also for I thought I might have to leave early. But I decided to stay thru the blizzard. And I wanted to see how easy it was to survive inside a vehicle even though it got down to 20 degrees F. outside and a foot and more of snow. There were 2 and 3 foot drifts by mid Oct.

I told about this near the end of my last pic thread which is here > http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ge=24=post#353

IF I ever permanently move to my mtn place then maybe I will get a snowmobile but for now I have good snow shoes - Canadian military ones with cables and metal frame - and cross country skis. Most people up there snow mobile but they are the ones who also use atvs etc. They seem to never hike or get off their machines.

A few of us up there do hike, snow shoe etc. and try to stay in shape. And we do not like the noisy etc. machines. I did operate a snowmobile with my closest neighbor who has a large cabin at least 1/4 of a mile down the hill. He wanted to go hunting and did not want to go alone. Since the road was covered in at least a foot of snow we took his machines. We went about a mile plus down to Nellie Creek, where we had to stop. Then we hiked around for another mile. It was almost dark when we got back. This was elk hunting and we did see some good tracks. I was just as glad he did not get an elk that day for I would have had to help him haul it out and we probably would have worked far into the night. And I doubt I would have gotten paid, as cheap as they are maybe I would have gotten a couple pounds of elk for helping.
This 73 year old guy and his friends did get two elk last year though.

Well, Ed, I probably answered your questions more than you wanted but that is how I usually answer. If you or anyone have anymore questions please just ask. Thanks....
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 AM
Rockhound

Mike, cool thread as usual! I love reading about your slice of life and seeing the photos of what it looks like up there. Those bears are ruffians.

You should consider some stonework/cement for a more permanent home there. I know it would be a ton of work to haul stone up there, but river rocks are basically free in our part of the country and you could cement em together to make walls, or foundation etc. That's my dream to do someday.

Keep living your dream!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheUndert0ker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndert0ker View Post
You should consider some stonework/cement for a more permanent home there. I know it would be a ton of work to haul stone up there, but river rocks are basically free in our part of the country and you could cement em together to make walls, or foundation etc. That's my dream to do someday.

Keep living your dream!
Thanks for the comments. But possibly you missed my first pic post where I told and showed some pics about my underground shelter/bunker? I have 3 pic threads now which If any look at all the pics they should get a very good idea of what I have done and built.
Here is the first pic thread > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=42447

In that thread I told about using Many - 250 or more eighty pound bags of concrete - which those alone were a ton of work hauling them up the mtnside. And I think there are too many rocks to count that I used such as around the back trap door, the walls which I have not shown all of the walls and an 8 foot tall pillar made out of various rocks especially quartz. So many things I could and maybe will take pics of someday.

I do plan to build a fancier cabin with a couple picture windows looking out to the Snowy Range that is to the east. It will also be built on and into the sunny hillside with the front part above ground. I showed the hole I am beginning to dig just below the solar panels.

But I think my underground shelter/cabin/bunker is pretty permanent. Possibly will last a couple hundred years, hopefully. I know how strong I built it with many rocks, much concrete, some steel beams, steel doors etc...

I know that for many it is difficult to understand everything I do or have built. But I have tried to explain it in 3 pic threads and I will gladly answer anymore questions, thanks.

I could put up more pics but I have in the other threads. Some pics I have shown the rock walls. But the one pic below shows some of the rock wall to the left and the 3 foot thick concrete roof which also has rocks built into it. It should be adequate that even if someone were to throw grenades onto it, they would not do much damage. The dead tree on top is for more camo but despite the snow hope people can see how strong this is. The 2nd pic shows some of the concrete and rocks around my back trap door which also is very strong and hopefully very permanent >
Attached Thumbnails
Foot of snow & stovepipe outside bunker & 3 ft concrete on roof.jpg   back trap door to bunker.JPG  

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-23-2009 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: added pic
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

I don't Need a lot of thanks and in real life I seldom get any thanks. It is nice but the main reason I like people thanking, such as joes, Undertoker, and Backwoods just did is that I Know that they read my post. That is one reason I give thanks to others in posts to let them know I read their post, that I liked and/or agreed with their posts and to show thanks which I do not do tooo much in "real" life.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

This year has went terribly fast, faster than usual. Summers and autumn go extremely fast, especially when I am on my mtn place doing what I want and Need to do and LIVING the way I have always wanted to Live!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Just want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhound View Post
glad you had a great time living it up in the high country.i too had bear troubles this year.especially in late spring time.guess they were extra hungry for some reason.heres a few pic's.

my small chicken tractor before and after pic's.
before

after

bear got in the 300 gallon stock tank and even pulled my 12volt pump from its moutning bucket.he broke riser pipe off and let most of water out and you can see the small catfsih are about to run out of water from damage.

and then he made his way to wellhouse.popped a electrical outlet from the wall.

and he loves my ATV...glad i ddint leave keys in it...roflmao...he likes to take a bite from the seat also and has bit about all my plastic buckets.

two questions:
1-Why do people from USA call chickens tractors? one is a 2-legged animal, the other is a machine meant for hard pulling. In Canada we just call them chickens and tractors are called tractors.

2-Why don't you shoot the bear? Where I come from, if you see a bear, you shoot it, long before it can cause any damage. You and mountain-man seem to put up with the bears destroying everything you own. Is it illegal to shoot bears in USA?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to survivor-guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 11,304 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor-guy View Post
two questions:
1-Why do people from USA call chickens tractors? one is a 2-legged animal, the other is a machine meant for hard pulling. In Canada we just call them chickens and tractors are called tractors.

2-Why don't you shoot the bear? Where I come from, if you see a bear, you shoot it, long before it can cause any damage. You and mountain-man seem to put up with the bears destroying everything you own. Is it illegal to shoot bears in USA?
I'm from the US and I've never heard them called 'tractors'. Until I saw your post, I had NO idea what in the heck he was talking about.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,433 Times in 822 Posts

Impressive as always and Happy Thanksgiving to You.

I did want to comment on the pic titled abandoned cabin. I am amazed at the load bearing capacity of that roof. Can I assume you went with an "A" frame to offset weight issues with snow?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Biltong For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biltong View Post
Impressive as always and Happy Thanksgiving to You.

I did want to comment on the pic titled abandoned cabin. I am amazed at the load bearing capacity of that roof. Can I assume you went with an "A" frame to offset weight issues with snow?
I did build my first building in 1990 as an A-frame shed for I knew that there were heavy ( up to 12 foot snowpack ) in the winter.

The cabin was abandoned a couple years ago when I took the pic. But since a guy and his family bought it with 4 acres. He built a nice shower in it and wants to build a deck. A deck will be harder for it will be exposed to the heavy snow. The roof of that cabin had to be reinforced long ago because it was starting to crack from the snows. That cabin was built around 1980.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor-guy View Post
them chickens and tractors are called tractors.

Hope elkhound will answer your chicken tractor question. I doubt he meant the way it sounded and I have never heard of a chicken tractor. I think he meant chicken coop or cage.

About bears is hope elkhound will also answer about that.

In some other post i I believe I answered about bears. But again I just want to say that I believe people who live in wilderness areas where there are Wild animals such as bears, lions, etc. should not be surprised or even should not call the authorities just because those wild animals are around.

I believe in shooting only in self defense. The last two bears I have seen since 2007 have come around in the daytime which is what I have never seen before up there and they rummaged thru trash also a little unusual from my experience up there.

I have heard that the US forest service might arrest or at least fine people if they shoot a bear or mtn lion without good reason. Trashing a cabin and a bear even breaking into a cabin is good enough reason especially if one fears for their life.

I have not ever been afraid of any bears that I have encountered. While this bear was bothersome and did quite a bit damage to my bags of clothes, a couple cheap tents and a few cans of food I just did not feel the need to shoot and kill the bear.

It was a beautiful cinnamon brown Black bear which is the first I had ever seen. And IF I would have shot and killed it I would have had to skin it, use the meat etc. Maybe someday I will do that but I had a lot of other more important things to do on my mtn land. I have told what I do and this past summer went especially fast with working for others cutting trees and trying to do my own work also.

I have heard of bears getting killed simply for breaking into cabins especially in fancy Aspen, Colorado and I am Not like any of those sissy people. I have also heard of hundreds of bears getting killed every year in Canada simply for being a nuisance. I could maybe look up the exact numbers but hundreds seems an awful lot. In Canada bears might be as numerous as deer, which I doubt, but in areas I have seen they are not especially numerous.

With overdevelopment, millions of acres of forest killed by the pine beetles etc. etc. bears have a hard enough time finding food. I like to live and let live and I like seeing bears and all kinds of animals. Makes me think of maybe there still are a few wild places left!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,225 Times in 4,126 Posts

Me either, until I came to this forum. There have been many threads and posts about "chicken tractors" in this forum over the last year or more. Just search that phrase and you'll see everything that you need to know about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbern View Post
I'm from the US and I've never heard them called 'tractors'. Until I saw your post, I had NO idea what in the heck he was talking about.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pixelguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,722 Times in 1,420 Posts

Mtn. Man Mike, so glad you made it back to the low country safely. Been a drought here since you left, we miss your great posts and your adventures up there.
As for the bear, I believe that if a bear is just passing through I let it go. However, as you say, if the bear threatens me or mine, then I have no choice but to take action to stop it's threat. I know a guy who camps regularly in the high country in CAlif., where they have lots of bears. their camp was raided by a bear several times, and they finally saw the bear on a subsequent raid. The bear was wearing ear tags and a collar, indicating it had already been trapped and relocated as a "problem" bear. One night it got to be a much bigger problem, and my friend had no choice but to shoot it. I think that in a remote location as your retreat is in, and the great distance and difficulty of going to "town" for more provisions, if a bear eats my garden and gets into my pantry then he's a threat and I'll have no choice but to take care of the problem permanently. I wonder if you have not let the bear become even more of a problem in future years by not being more pro-active in chasing it off more often and farther. A 20-ga. shell full of rock salt will create a lasting impression on a bear that his presence is not appreciated.
A question brought on by the photo of the "back door" to your bunker. Is that door usable in winter when covered in heavy snow?
Anyway, good to see you're back safe.
Thanks again for the great pics and report on your doings at the mtn. hideaway.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Thanks Ed.
I did chase and yell at the bear several times. I did chase it quite a ways uphill towards Battle pass. But I had a lot of other things to do besides chasing bears. He always ran away but I guess I told about that already.

I heard some neighbor shot over its head but seemed to just chase it up to my place. The bear got half a turkey and some other food out of a neighbors ice chest which was better than any food that bear got from me.

I followed his tracks to his den. I was hoping he would stay in the den but hopefully he is hibernating now.

About the back trap door to my bunker is that it is covered in deep heavy snow and is better than any padlock in the winter. Although I have it bolted shut also when I am not up there.

I could open it If I live up there in the winter. I have to make another door on top. The inside metal door which can be seen in the pic opens into the shelter so any snow would drop down and if there is snow pack I could open the door down and then dig up into the snowpack and get out.

I should maybe go over almost every pic and explain better for some, not you Ed or some others, but to some I know who don't know what I am showing and what my purpose and lifestyle is up there.

Maybe later. I will gladly answer Any questions and even If people want to criticize anything I have done then that will be welcomed and answered also.

Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 11-24-2009 at 06:40 PM..
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,155 Times in 414 Posts

chicken tractors..pig tractors are sjut term used for something portable wer ethy can graze the grass or root up stones and add manure to small sections of ground and moved daily or weekly or what ever you decide the scedule should be.i was jsut trying to let small chicks get some grass and fresh air.but bear has other ideas....lol..also there was no chic food in cage.he jsut wanted ot be troubles to me.

bears.....its a complicated story about bears ad it all depends on what sate you live in.there are official channels to go threw and get permits to kill etc or they come and remove him in a trap.the truth is this is not one bear it is several bear at differnt times....the reason is because of how remote i am.plus in dry times i have only water for about 4 miles....soo..every beast comes ot drink from my pond.my yard is only 20ft wide and surrounded by 1000's of acres of wilderness and deer,turkey and bear pop out of woods right into yard .so if eevrytime i had wildlife going on's i called it would get old.so i have to try and outsmart them critters.electric wire is about only thing knocks them back and keeps them back.you should see what they do to orchard....a 400# bear in a 12ft semi dewarf tree bends it to the ground easy.the bears in 2008 walked up and down the driveway wanting peaches but would not cross the hotwire....lol ...you just have ot be aware at all times and be ready for them.this particular bear might get aggessive abd hurt you ...for awhile i packed pistol doing chores becasue he ahs no fear becasue he is old and a predatory adult male.....he also likes to kill dogs.most people never get to experince or see what a adult male bear with predatory behavior does.only the msot mature bears do this.their habits are difffernt than most bears.its jsut life in the wilderness for me.

in spring/summer i always pack a pistol because of bears being around.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to elkhound For This Useful Post: