Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 257 03-13-2017 08:51 AM
Wilderness Survival Vs. Going Camping plantguy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 03-29-2016 10:43 AM
Guidelines for the Wilderness survival, hiking and camping section kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 123 02-16-2016 02:46 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items - NOT MADE IN CHINA p0opstlnksal0t Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 60 09-06-2015 11:57 AM
Wilderness Camping/Hiking with a disability Medic73 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 02-26-2015 03:59 PM
The Wilderness Survival/Camping/Hiking Gear-Swap Thread! twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 131 01-18-2014 11:25 PM
Wilderness Survival/Hiking/Camping Rules Reminder Potantsuem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 12-27-2012 01:35 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 12:25 PM
hiking and wilderness survival BSAScouter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 01-06-2011 11:11 PM

Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,822 Times in 827 Posts

Advertise Here

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Survival%20Kit.htm
Here a cool link I found if somebody doesn't know what something is.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to shawn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2007, 09:42 PM
I love this forum

Location: North Woods; but not the REAL north woods; not the northwoods that has icebergs
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 1

Because of the area I live in I carry my basic survival items on me, fire, multi-tool, knife, watch (compass) sportsmans saw, twine. My most basic and valuable survival tool is my brain, and despite what my wife says, it is my best asset! If lost in the woods I can start a good fire, even in the rain, with just a knife and a match because I know to look for pitch wood in rotten pine stumps or limbs. I can construct a primitive shelter in an hour because the wilderness is not 'wild' to me, I am always looking at my enviroment, looking for food and shelter like a hawk. All of nature's resources are familiar and pop-out like the neon sign above a convienence store, if you just know what you need and what to look for. I keep my needs in the forefront of my mind.
In my PU I have a day pack, the basic load changes from summer to fall due to weather conditions. It now carries a weeks worth of food, cook gear, a tarp, flashlight, space blankets, orange vest, knives, big compass, more fire, warm gloves and wool socks/watchcap.
In the truck is a chainsaw, fuel, shovels, chain, tools, water, blanket, clothes, first aid box, heat packs, etc. There may be a firearm in the truck, usually is. Radio and cellphone is mostly useless in this country, so I don't have one. I have had to walk-out to the county road several times due to break-downs and such, usually at night in a storm, I never get stuck in good weather. I have found that high energy snacks and the ability to stay dry/warm is a big help when pushing through that last 3 miles to the paved road at 2AM. This is my basic load, just for me.
When I go out with the intent to stay in the sticks I generaly fill the truck with gear, I really over do the packing. I have gone through the backpacking phase where every ounce counts, thats great fer the young-uns, but at my age I want my comfort! I figure I have a 1 ton truck, and weather I pack 30 pounds of gear or 300 pounds it will not cost me a penny more in fuel to carry it into the sticks.

Last edited by Kenno; 10-03-2007 at 10:19 PM..
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 PM

this is what i take evety time i go out in the woods gps,compass,cotton balls coverd in vasaline in a mil green match tube the kind with flint in the bottom ,a little thin cigar tin with hooks, line, split shots,and lures,space blanket,poncho,signal mirror (dual purpose for signals and pin point sun light to make fire) pencil and paper (just in case get lost good way to write thoughts and take inventory just to keep mind busy) magnisum and flint fire starter, leather man, and mag lite with led bulb,spare batts,(gps and mag use AA) water bottle with built in filter and pur tabs,tp, a spool of ultra thin ultra strong twine (only way i can descibe) good for snares and make shift shelter with poncho,a couple of power bars,hard candy,travel size han sanitizer,(good for starting fires also and taking care of cuts) a small first aid kit,signal whistle,straight blade knife and pocket knife all in a neat little camo fany size pouch:D fire arm always in hand or on the side
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to familyfirst For This Useful Post:

Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Hunter

This is a kit that I carry just about anytime I leave a vehicle and take off on foot reguardless of how long I plan to hunt, fish or hike. Here is a partial list of items that are carried in the day hip pack that weighs in just under 8 lbs. not including a 2 quart canteen of water. I aways carry some way to start a fire along with a knife in a pants pocket so it would not get seperated.
Items in the pack include:

Various Flints, strike matches,tinder packs, small tube petroleum jelly, cottonballs,AA minimag lite, headlamp led version ,spare batteries and bulbs f
Snakebite kit (only use the 3 suction cups to remove venom in order to minimize soft tissue damage.) Victornox Multipurpose Knife
Pencil, paper , min sharpener & Military p-38 can opener
Multi steel cup,Deepwoods off and deet repel ,mosquito headnet
Roll of military trip wire,numerious ways to start fire, hurricane candles
skittles, a couple of individual waterpackets, A couple of MRE's,with sugar,salt & pepper packs,Disposable hand warmers ,Orange tape, couple of lightsticks, Survival water straw and water treatment kit,50' multicord
fillet knife & hone,couple squares HD aluminum foil ,Craftsman lockback utility knife with extra blades,Toiliet Paper (Alot of bulk but worth it IMO)
Fish & Snare trap kit,Various first aid items and antibiotics
Ripstop lightweight rain tarp (Temp. Shelter )
Space Blanket,Self Contained mini pelican box which includes
Starflash Mirror, Blast match, signal whistle, tinder packs & chain saw
Survival Playing Cards (good set of cards to pass the time with and has different survival tips on each card) and somewhere in that picture is a compass , maps if not familar with the area. Thinks like the bug lotion during the winter may seem odd but due to our location we can have low wind chills one day and 70's the next. And when the insects come out in winter they really live up to the term pest.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to texasok63 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2007, 01:16 PM
veldskoen no socks

Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,431 Posts

My basics would have to be my fixed blade and multitool also means to start a fire, if its basic survival, anything added to this is for comfort out there so I would include something to sleep in and something to sleep under.For longer times in the wild pretty much the same as all the guys have mentioned in this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to the hog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Survivorman

Awards Showcase
Outstanding video 
Total Awards: 1

Magnesium fire starter
Somthing to boil water in
knowledge of edible plants
poncho
good knife
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to armyranger10a For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,879 Times in 3,581 Posts

i have found on hunting trips two ponchos make tent,carry 6x8 6mil plastic sheet,ground cloth and emergency water still.wire saw&snare wire in DVD case,snare wire will quietly get game.canteen cups are good to purify water need 2 to ariate water & cool it. i can fit everything into a tac vest and rifle vest.incl first aid kit w sutures iodine and snake bite kit.carry matches in bottle,metal match,small magnif glass,2-surv blkts,hat mosq net(in the south).lthr man(2),swiss army knife,folding knife,fishin/sewin kit line works as thread,rawhide string(repair & as boot laces).whet stone cleaning kit wpn, rag ,oil,binoculars ,lens paper,extra glasses,rep kit,50' 3/8 nylon,2-d's,small pulley(like to sleep in trees),1 1/2 lb hand axe(not hatchet),small file,AA LED 6 batt,AAA minimag,2 bulb,6 AAA,,3 black trash bags,2-compass,pens,pencil,3x5 notepad,3x5 notecards,topo maps of my area of choice,metal mirror,12-homemade food bars(oatmeal,cinnimon,sugar,protien powder),M7 bayonet in sheath,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mongoose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Crazy Canadian Bushman

Thumbs up

I see a lot of people that make use of the same gear, good stuff, shows that's its field tested!

I'm what you can call a weekend warrior, this is my kit and it stays in the trunk of my car, unless there's maintenance to be done on my gear.

- Alice medium rucksack (no frame) very robust sack
- Basha/Hootchie ( very lightweight tarp and robust, I recommend to everyone, and its not very expensive.)
- 50m 550 paracord (the 7 strain type)
- firesteel (lights fire even if wet)
- fixed blade knife (carbon steel or 01 tool steel)
  • I have a custom knife I made from 01 tool steel, it's extremely robust, keeps a great edge and easy to sharpen
  • Coldsteel Master Hunter (VG-1 SAN MAI III)
- Leatherman Wave multitool
- laplander folding saw
- diamond steel sharpener
- GPS Garmin Legend HCx (spare AA batteries in sealed ziplock)
- compass
- 1L Nato flask with crusaders cup
- portable tackle box with fish hooks/lures
- 50m Brass wire
- MSR Sweetwater portable filter with MSR purifying agent. (very nice taste to it, unlike iodine that leaves your throat raw after using it a couple times)
- 4 heavy duty garbage bags, (use as a poncho, shelter, sleeping bag, mattress)
- LED head lamp
- 1KG empty tin can of ground coffee with LID (great for storing gruel, soups and add-water type food, hot chocolate, tea, also extremely useful for boiling water)
- waterproof first aid kit. (+ tylenol, thumbs and gravol)
- Spare wool socks, gloves, neck warmer, tuque,

The reason I don't cary a small forest axe, is mainly because of another piece I didn't mention;
Coldsteel GI Tanto (I use it for batonning, I've put it through hell and still holds the stress!) great for splitting! maybe also for use of a spear?)

I have a problem, I'm a knife fanatic, and I'm always struggling on deciding which to pick! to avoid this dilema, I bring them all!!! LOL of course I have different use for each one, as the value of certain blades change as well as the stress they can handle.

This pretty much sums up my gear! I've added lots to it over the years, including replacing many items, for various reasons, but I can proudly say today, any mods to this kit in the future will probably be replacing items for the same ones. I've searched and perfected my kit to my needs, and In my opinion, there's no way in hell I'll remove it from the trunk of my car.

Also I have watched Kev's video on youtube about layering your clothes!!!
A must when traveling outdoors, I live in upper Quebec, in canada, where the weather conditions fluctuates endlessly. and the last thing I'd want is to head into the night with sweat dripping from my corpse!

Last edited by cuphead; 01-05-2008 at 11:11 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cuphead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Thomas Hawk

two books on edible plants one area specific to the northwest are very important as well as my blowgun
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dak_jeremy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Target Shooter

The kitchen sink. Everytime I take my wife camping that's the only thing she leaves behind so I might as well bring it along.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak_jeremy View Post
two books on edible plants one area specific to the northwest are very important as well as my blowgun
What books are those, if I may ask?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8bit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I'll Rescue You

My Search and Rescue Vest and Pack contain my survival kit needed in the field. Here's my winter SAR pack checklist which is pretty current for the most part. For warmer weather the checklist remains the same for the most part with the exception of packing cold weather clothing:

Winter SAR PAck Checklist
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MtnRescue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2008, 01:00 AM

Interesting thread, lots of honest stuff amidst the BS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lefty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 PM

My pocket day hike first aid/survival kit:
2-butane lighters, waterproof matches,
Signal mirror
3-betadine pads
Small Vaseline foil pak
3in. ceramic knife sharper
Swiss Army Knife
Travel Tooth Brush
50ft. Berkley Fireline 30# fishing line (also used for snares)
3-#10 hooks
5-assorted dry flies
2- 5X tippets
HD aluminum foil 12"x24" folded to size of signal mirror
Mylar sheet
3" candle
AA LED light
Small plastic pill bottle w/ 6 ea, Motrin, Benadryl, Vicodin, aspirin.
K&R Alpin PRO Baseplate Sighting Compass
Water purification tablets.

REI Half Dome day pack:
2- Nalgene water bottles ( two or three wraps of duct tape on each)
Metal cup (fits over water bottle)
2- 1200 cal Mainstay food bars (in one of the water bottles)
Toilet paper (small backpacking roll)
Sierra saw
Case Sodbuster or Cold Steel Recon 1 Folder
Fallkniven A1
S&W Bulls Eye light weight hatchet
100ft 550 paracord
2-carabiners
25ft. Kermantle
2-Mylar sheets
Pocket Hammock (beside sleeping, can be used as fishing net or trap game, birds etc.)
Small roll black electrical tape
Adventure Medical space blanket (cloth type)
4” .357 mag. and holster
50-rounds ammo (20-.357mag., 20-.38spcl, 10-.38 shot shells)
1-can Vienna sausage wrapped in duct tape (they have a shelf-life equal to half-life of plutonium)
1-bag beef jerky
2-K-Cups
2-HD quart Ziploc bags (in water bottle with food bars)
First Need water purification pump (I like drinking from spings, streams and mountain lakes but had Guardia once. I never want to get it AGAIN.)
Sierra Stove (fits in cook pot)
Mosquito net head covering (I hate when stuff crawls on my face WHILE I’M SLEEPING)
2-Large trash bags
HH breathable rain gear

Everything fits in or on the day pack.

You will note there is no sleeping bag or tent included in list. If I intend to camp more than 2-3 days, I use a larger pack (72 liter cap) and carry 2 man dome tent (I’ve found it helps to keep gear inside and dry if you get caught in a monsoon) and sleeping bag (mummy for cold, reg. open top for warm), extra clothes and mountain house meals, self-inflating sleeping pad, Ratak.

Tracker

Last edited by Bear Tracker; 03-16-2008 at 07:15 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bear Tracker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Young Adult

lock blade
fixed blade
half gallon canteen
compass
map of area im in
lighter
magnesium flint bar
granola bars
small mess kit
foil
pocho/space blanket(shelter)
first aid supplies

Last edited by Wildernessguy1; 03-19-2008 at 07:42 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildernessguy1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
SURVIVOR

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 2
Talking

fixed blade Mora and backup knife and throwing knives
small multitool
hatchet
flint and steel
7 in 1... whistle,compass,thermometer,magnifine glass,red LED,signal mirror
first aid kit
headlamp
vas soaked cottonballs
candles
flattened duraflame log
visine bottle with lamp oil
paracord
climbing rop
masonline
tarp
tent
mess kit and alchohal stove
scout book
poncho and trashbag
rat trap
2 glowsticks
saftey blanket
flashlight
small LED backup
fishing kit
canteen
2 lighters
emery board
small dry tinder tin
char cloth
extra socks,underwear,pants and fleece
harmonica
small hotel soap
electric toothbrush head
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AAPEXX For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 PM

swimming trunks?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metze For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2008, 02:10 AM

AAPEXX
Like the idea of the "rat trap". Hope that Visine bottle is adequately marked. :-)
Bear Tracker
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bear Tracker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 PM

For a B.O.B. what would you guys recommend for water purification?

There seems to be a variety of products out there.... From tablets to expensive filters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,215 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew89 View Post
For a B.O.B. what would you guys recommend for water purification?

There seems to be a variety of products out there.... From tablets to expensive filters.
I would go with a compact pump/filter set up, like Katadyn or MSR, for about $70-90. I would get one that filters as many parasites as possible, but especially giardia (I had giardia several times--no fun & you can get really dehydrated).

I don't really trust tablets or the filter systems that only trap the larger organisms.

HippieSurvivalist
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HippieSurvivalist For This Useful Post: