Home Invasion, likely how it might go down - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Home Constr these days surprises me (poor quality) partndn General Discussion 110 01-08-2017 04:50 PM
How to make a secure home for bugging in? David Bevis Urban Survival 45 01-08-2017 08:51 AM
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 91 01-04-2017 07:13 PM
Just put ol' Dad in a home, and is he ****ed! BabyBlue General Discussion 70 11-17-2016 09:30 PM
Bugging in and home security in a mobile home. jppaul16441 Urban Survival 25 11-07-2016 09:16 PM

Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,005 Times in 393 Posts
Default Home Invasion, likely how it might go down

Advertise Here

Home Invasions are rare. Most criminals want to break in when you are not home, to take your TV, guns or whatever. So what would motivate someone to conduct a home invasion, why do they happen and when are they most likely to happen?

From my experience there is a scenario I have seen happen over and over again and it is scary. It starts with a person running from the cops, usually in a vehicle. The chase might have started with the driver having committed a serious felony like armed robbery, felony assault, or even a felony assault on a law enforcement officer. They are probably a two time felon with nothing to lose, potentially armed. They do not want to be taken into custody, are already facing serious prison time and have nothing to lose.

They end up wrecking the vehicle and law enforcement sets up a perimeter. The suspect is hiding in the woods, and tries to make it out but keeps seeing red and blue lights/spot lights form patrol vehicles. Dogs are deployed, helicopter over head. He's already cold, wet and tired from running, he's looking for an easy way out.

He desperately looks into a couple vehicles but quickly comes to the conclusion that nobody leaves their keys in their car anymore. The solution is to break into someones house, and use his gun, knife, or screw driver to take someone's car keys by force. Then drive out, because cops can't do road blocks like the use to.

This is likely to take place at night, but from what I have seen it always happens in the early morning hours. Think about this, you wake up and because of the size of the perimeter, you have no idea the cops are in the area looking for someone. It seems like a normal peaceful day. Then just like that someone enters your house, gun drawn, demanding keys.

This isn't a hypothetical, I have seen this several times. In one case the home owner shot the suspect dead with a .12 gauge shotgun. One of the rare solid home defense cases I have worked. It happens just like I'm saying more often than you would imagine. He's not interested in the stuff in your house, just your car.

But here is the thing you have to understand. This person is likely more worried about what he has already done, possibly having committed a crime up to a murder, prior to breaking into your home. He is likely in a panic, desperate, and willing to do anything at that moment. He might have already killed someone and killing you wouldn't put him in any more trouble.

I think we imagine most criminals that would enter your house people who do not want a confrontation. But that isn't always the case. They might enter intent on making contact with you, knowing you are home, to get your keys. And killing you might be part of the get away plan. Just a threat analysis. A scenario you might not have thought about before.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,091 Times in 822 Posts

National Crime Victimization Survey

Home invasion" has been used widely to describe an array of
victimizations

"Home invasion" has been used broadly to describe any crime
committed by an individual unlawfully entering a residence
while someone is home. More narrowly, home invasion has been
used to describe a situation where an offender forcibly enters
an occupied residence with the specific intent of robbing or
violently harming those inside.

The limited numbers of states incorporating the term "home
invasion" into their state statutes include the intent on the
part of the offender in their definition. In part, these
statutes have defined intent as--

*A person enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling with the
intent of committing a violent crime;

*A person knowingly enters the dwelling place of another with
the knowledge or expectation that someone (one or more persons)
is present;

*The unauthorized entering of any inhabited dwelling or other
structure belonging to another with the intent to use force or
violence upon the person of another.

Public perception and media reports of home invasion do not
necessarily include intent

Public perception and media reports of home invasion do not
necessarily include intent on the part of the offender.
Situations reported by the media as home invasion include--

*An offender forcibly enters a home to rob the household of
specific items, including cash, drugs, or other items--
specific households or residents may become a target either to
"settle a score" or because residents are perceived as
vulnerable, such as persons with disabilities and the elderly.

*An offender enters a residence falsely believing no one is
home and a confrontation occurs between the resident and the
offender.

*A household member returns home while a burglary is in
progress and a confrontation occurs between the household
member and the offender.

National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) estimates of
nonfatal crimes and the consequences to victims do not include
offender motivation

The NCVS provides estimates of nonfatal violent and property
crime and the consequences to victims. If a victim suffers
violence during a burglary, NCVS classification rules
categorize the victimization as a personal rather than a
property crime. Some of these burglaries measured by the survey
may fall under the broad definition of home invasion.

Between 2003 and 2007--

*A household member was home in 28% of the 3.7 million average
annual burglaries that occurred between 2003 and 2007 (table
1).

*In nonviolent burglaries, household members knew the offender
in 30% of the burglaries taking place while someone was home;
the offender was a stranger in 24%. The identity of the
offender was unknown in 46% of burglaries.

*On average, household members became victims of violent crimes
in about 266,560 burglaries annually. Offenders known to their
victims accounted for 65% of these burglaries; strangers
accounted for 28%.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gotjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 01:16 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 22,646 Times in 7,586 Posts

Quite a number of home invasions involve drug dealers hitting a house of either a user or low level dealer who owes them lots of money for past received drugs. We had a number of such home invasions in my area. Occasionally the drug dealers will hit the wrong house and that is where the trouble happens and innocent people get hurt or killed. This especially true with the gangsta groups. For some reason, in the are where I live, the gangsta groups are not the smartest bunch of drug suppliers. They will give a low level dealer thousands and thousands of dollars worth of drugs and then one night try to collect only to find out that the low level dealer moved or gave them a bad address.

If or when things turn bad, make sure to carry some kind of firearm on your person. A good handgun is something that is easy to conceal and carry at the same time. If you hear anything suspicious all you have to do is draw your handgun and brace yourself without having to try to worry about making it to get your rifle or other gun in another room. In other words, as soon as the pants go on the next thing should be your gun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Jack of Deplorable Trades

Thanked 5,879 Times in 2,191 Posts

Just remembering the reports I read, violent home invasions seem usually to involve more than one perp plus a getaway driver, and are deliberate targeting, not some scared individual trying to escape. Those do happen, sure, but I don't think they're in the majority.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,198 Posts

I watch a lot of Criminal Minds...they have a lot of home invasion/murder situations on that show. It might not all be real or accurate but it does provide ideas, insight and suggestions. One thing I took to heart on that show is keeping all my doors locked, all the time...and keeping my bedroom door locked while I'm sleeping.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Thanked 60,226 Times in 20,226 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Making your home a harder target than your neighbors will ensure this does not happen.

In the even they still target you, reinforced (and locked) doors will buy you time, which matters.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Trapper

I have also seen a tendency for them to lay low in the bushes and car jack you in the morning on your way out of the house. Keep in mind he doesn't care if he enters or not, he just wants the car. Often waiting until he sees someone out by the car can prove less risky.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Trapper

I bring this up because I was recently on a perimeter involving probably forty officers, if that give you an idea on how bad we wanted this guy. It was a large perimeter and we were throwing everything at it to find him. I knew he was going to hit a house, but of course my job was just to sit behind my car and watch a little area(team effort).

But it was an odd feeling knowing people were waking up, having no idea they were surrounded by cops and news crews looking for someone in their AO. If you would have told them someone was likely to break in and take their keys at gun point, they wouldn't have believed you. It must have seemed like a normal morning. But it wasn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Situational Awareness
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:04 AM
"Everbody has a plan . ."

Thanked 2,471 Times in 934 Posts

Why can't Cops do roadblocks?????
The Following User Says Thank You to 6471 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,137 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I bring this up because I was recently on a perimeter involving probably forty officers, if that give you an idea on how bad we wanted this guy. It was a large perimeter and we were throwing everything at it to find him. I knew he was going to hit a house, but of course my job was just to sit behind my car and watch a little area(team effort).

But it was an odd feeling knowing people were waking up, having no idea they were surrounded by cops and news crews looking for someone in their AO. If you would have told them someone was likely to break in and take their keys at gun point, they wouldn't have believed you. It must have seemed like a normal morning. But it wasn't.
Come on man !!!! did you get him ?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 7,986 Times in 2,278 Posts

My state has a classification for it and I have noticed many of those convicted were high at the time and didn't realize the house was occupied. Once confronted they panic and either surrender, run or attack the occupants. Many of these guys have had no violent record prior to this.

The OP's scenario does occasionally happen and it is the worst case scenario because the invaders are.planning a violent act. They have already made the decision to hurt you and the likelihood they will surrender or run is pretty low.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper6Niner View Post
The OP's scenario does occasionally happen and it is the worst case scenario because the invaders are.planning a violent act. They have already made the decision to hurt you and the likelihood they will surrender or run is pretty low.
Just shooting the intruder seems to be the universal solution here.
The Following User Says Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,924 Times in 2,904 Posts

Thanks! I didn't know that. You said cops can't set up road blacks anymore. Why not? Where I lived on the Gulf Coast there are a hand full of prisons and occasionally one of the inmates escapes. I've run into the State Trooper road blocks on more than one occasion and there's obviously a need. What changed?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Remove Kebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
Just shooting the intruder seems to be the universal solution here.
It is. Their intentions are irrelevant. We should assume the worst.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Remove Kebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Thanks! I didn't know that. You said cops can't set up road blacks anymore. Why not? Where I lived on the Gulf Coast there are a hand full of prisons and occasionally one of the inmates escapes. I've run into the State Trooper road blocks on more than one occasion and there's obviously a need. What changed?
They aren't "road blocks" anymore. They are "escape posts". Semantics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,440 Times in 2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
Situational Awareness
also don't live in or around the city, lol

that sort of thing happens out here like once in a generation, it's mostly meth heads hitting peoples homes while they are gone to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Immer Im Einsatz

Thanked 2,057 Times in 943 Posts

Sounds like no one here has dogs.

Anyone trying to get in here wont be doing it without us knowing. The dogs usually go off before the perimeter alarms go off. And when the perimeter alarms go off, they go even more nuts.

If they are serious at that point (I can hear the dogs carrying on down by the road, and Im about half deaf), and they still want to boot the door, they will get to deal with about 250 pounds of ****ed off Rotties that just got new chew toys.

All I really have to do at that point is watch the show and call for the Troopers and an "am ba lance".

Quote:
If or when things turn bad, make sure to carry some kind of firearm on your person. A good handgun is something that is easy to conceal and carry at the same time. If you hear anything suspicious all you have to do is draw your handgun and brace yourself without having to try to worry about making it to get your rifle or other gun in another room. In other words, as soon as the pants go on the next thing should be your gun.
This is what Ive been doing for the last 40 years or so.

If you dont have a gun "on you", you dont have a gun. Things like this emphasize that 200%
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki81 View Post
also don't live in or around the city, lol

that sort of thing happens out here like once in a generation, it's mostly meth heads hitting peoples homes while they are gone to work.
There is that, but I am a proponent of making my security better than my neighbors in the hope they pass me by and go after them.

It has worked too, unfortunately for my neighbors. Motion lights, camera, 'Beware Of Dog' signs . . . last time they passed my house and went after the neighbor who didn't have any exterior lights, no cameras, no dog and an open gate. I felt bad for them, but it is what it is, we cannot protect everyone, just ours we have to.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juskom95 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 02:45 PM

22 years on a large department, running the worst neighborhood we have, and I have never seen a home invasion for car keys.

Home invasions over dope? All the time.

Home invasions over a burglar thinking he was hitting an empty house? A few.

But over car keys? Never. Must be a regional thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post: