You should have an RV to bougout with in an emergency - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Survival Acronyms kev New Member Introduction 1001 02-08-2017 03:50 PM
Emergency Power dbonds Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 12-19-2016 05:39 PM
Emergency sleeping bag David T. Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 12-14-2016 01:00 PM
Emergency Water Packets AprilChick Food and water 4 10-16-2016 04:56 AM
Advice for RV planning volfan45 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 10-10-2016 11:01 AM

Old 01-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Living the dream:-)

Thanked 2,111 Times in 939 Posts

Advertise Here

Thank you. Just Jeff. Sorry I forgot to quote you. .. This was well said and I think it goes to show that it is something you have personally used in a localized disasters. I think depending on the disasters these or any additional carrying or sleeping capacity would be a benefit. Having an earthquake, massive flooding, and mud slides could stop these, but in the same aspect will be stopping 99% of other vehicles. I think depending on the disasters that are local plan by that. Currently I am sitting here in a few inches of snow and can go very far because my jeep needs a battery and my Daily driver is horrible in the snow. I can make it works but nothing like the jeep for getting around in this mess. Just goes to show you sometimes you won't have the gear you need. Thankfully I don't need it but it would be nice to have.

Last edited by Gva; 01-07-2017 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: More info
The Following User Says Thank You to Gva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 5,399 Times in 1,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
anyone have this? seems like a good alternative, especially if one is on a limited budget.
They're better for gas mileage than roof racks or rooftop luggage bags. They're easier to access too, which is both good and bad depending on who's accessing it. Depending on how your vehicle and how you load it, you might block access to the tailgate/hatchback.

I wouldn't exceed the hitch's tongue weight rating on one of them, though. The tongue weight for a Class III hitch (most common) is 500 lbs.

You can also put them on front and still pull a trailer.

I'm getting these receivers that attach to the tow hook mounts on my Ram. A side benefit is that I'll be able to fab up a front-mounted storage rack supported at two locations.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,416 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
anyone have this? seems like a good alternative, especially if one is on a limited budget.
always good to be able to carry more...a small light 4x4.jeep etc, with a rack will get you a long way.

my big 3500 duramax 4x4 gives me the truck bed I need for quick grab and go...but I do have a reese hit luggage rack for it, or our van and also had a reese hitch welded to the reinforced rear of my travel trailer...had 2 different companies/welders look at it to make sure the rig could handle my intended loads (small trail bike) or couple hundred lbs in that storage rack..

Old 01-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
My brother buys and sells used campers and RVs so I highly recommend them to everyone. He's even sold the same one 4 times as people upgrade or got out of them due to time and financial constraints.

They do take some work if they've been neglected. I can't store one at the house so I'm not very interested. I could however fit a small enclosed trailer in the 3rd car garage spot to tow stuff behind in an emergency. The nice thing is I could have it packed with a lot of tent camping and walking gear that I store in the garage anyway, and toss in additional things in a hurry without careful packing. Like extra propane, gas cans, water, and larger tents then you would carry.

My bike rack has a tow extension on it so I can pull my current open trailer with 4 bicycles loaded on the car. The current trailer is used for general work hauling and 4wd or motorcycle toy hauling with mountain bikes added for extra fun. I can haul a couple thousand extra pounds of stuff easily with it. An enclosed trailer would keep people guessing as to what's inside, so I like what's been shown in this thread and might consider switching to one in the future.

Use what you have, bring what you can. But I'm certain an RV isn't on my current list. It would need to be something small.
What dealership does your brother work at . I bought our 36ft camper from ac nelson.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
They're better for gas mileage than roof racks or rooftop luggage bags. They're easier to access too, which is both good and bad depending on who's accessing it. Depending on how your vehicle and how you load it, you might block access to the tailgate/hatchback.

I wouldn't exceed the hitch's tongue weight rating on one of them, though. The tongue weight for a Class III hitch (most common) is 500 lbs.

You can also put them on front and still pull a trailer.

I'm getting these receivers that attach to the tow hook mounts on my Ram. A side benefit is that I'll be able to fab up a front-mounted storage rack supported at two locations.

My buddy actually just upgraded his bumpers on his jeep wrangler and he's ordering these next so he can have a bit of carrying space, since the Wrangler trunk is the size of a shoe box. He can literally fit his BOB and a few tools behind his seat. I have thought about it for my Cherokee with a pitched up hitch so I have better ground clearance. I would still use the roof rack but only a few things up top, fuel, and recovery equipment on the platform on the hitch. Have it covered with a tarp. Only issue I see for front mounted is blocking the cooling system, having a bunch of stuff in front of the grill will reduce air flow, add in carrying more weight and slow speeds could definitely cause some heat issues. Just some thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 5,399 Times in 1,488 Posts

Can also block headlights, and cause extra wear on the front end components with extra weight out past the axle. All manageable obviously, but worth remembering.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM

You can get a camper for your truck as low as $500.00 (and yesh I was considering this a viable "RV" option). They are more flexible, I don't own a pickup myself. Trying to buy the whole package of a used pickup and an RV both is more than just a used motorhome (which can be had for as low as $1,000.00 on cragislist.

They come in handy for guests to sleep in, for storeage, as an add-on to your home (like an extra bedroom, just run a drop chord). For camping also.

Having said that; you can get a used trailer or camper as low as $500, and a used small motorhome about $1,000-$1,500

It's mainly for shelter and storeage, not worried about storing tons of water (although some), or propane. In fact I would gut out the stove and fridge and use them for storeage (assuming you bought an old used RV in this lower price range).

SO if there is a local emergency that requires leaving, you already have shleter. You don't have to go out in the woods, you can just park at a rest area (and then move it daily), really you can park it anywhere and just move it a little each day.

We are not going to go directly into instant Apocalypse anyway, the breakdown will be progressive, not all at once. Sure it will build up to a "all hell breaking lose" scenario, but that will take time. So there is no need to go live in the woods as "the survivalist" immediately, but if you want to do that, more power to ya! Go get em Rambo, please report back to us in 3 months let us know how it went

I am 3-4 hours away from the better bugout locations (driving), so that would be better to drive than to walk 300 miles, correct me if I am wrong, so keep a tank of gas in your bugout rig (whether it is your dily driver or not), and make sure to get tabs for it.

If things get really bad you can just leave your mobile shelter...abandon it when needed. It should serve at getting you closer to your final bugout location, you could also hide it.

Myself personally, I think the truck with the camper is the best way to go, but again I don't own a truck, just a car. So for people like me on limited budget ($500-$1,500), a small motorhome made more sense. Sad thing though is if it breaks down I have to abandon it, but then again we are expecting so type or progressive decline into anarchy anyway, right? We know gas, propane, etc. will at some point not be available as well. SO it won't last me forever, but I can put off having to live in a tent or bugging out in the woods as long as possible.

I am not planning on stopping the New World Order, I am not planning to take part in a civil war (that I know is coming), I am just trying to avoid conflict of all kinds, and get out of emergency situation such as a blackout that causes nuclear poer plant near where I live to overheat and release radiation. I don't need to walk 300 miles with a backpack for thi.

If you have no budget than this thread is not for you. If you don't think you can get together $500-$1,500 for a bugout rig, that is not my fault. No, I can't pay for yours, I can barely afford it myself. Again; not my fault. If you have family that you would bugout with, tell them idea and see if you guys want to save up for it. If it is not within your means, then ignore this thread and move on; not my fault.

People can spend hundreds on a knife but can't spend $1,000 on a mobile shelter with an engine that can keep them dry and store months worth of food and water? Then don't worry about it, this won't work with your budget oh well.

Heck you could probably find someone willing to trade for some labor. Again if you can't do it, don't complain just move on. You could even find a beater for free; an old camper that is just sitting there and they want it gone, etc.

Free campers (fixer uppers, no complaining if you don't want to do it)

http://olympic.craigslist.org/zip/5942673280.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/zip/5937705866.html

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/zip/5898535691.html

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/zip/5936136028.html

Travel trailer $250
https://scranton.craigslist.org/rvs/5909300020.html

Here is a 20 ft motorhome that sold for $1,000

In conclusion, an RV/Camper can be had for pretty cheap, I could come in real handy if you need to leave your home due to some type of a local emergency. You could bugout into your final location from the RV.

Let me add this; you may never get out of town, there could be road blocks, weapons checks, DUI checkpoint, whatever excuse they want to use, they can do it, and I can't stop that. I already KNOW that I may not be able to use an RV because of that, but it does give me more options.
Attached Thumbnails
15662959206_7312124862_b.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cannabiscuredcancer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 PM

If the calamity is such that everyone that says they're bugging out ... bugs out ... those with a bicycle are a whole lot better off that those tying to turn around on I-90 due to gridlock. Not only do you loose mobility, but you loose in the consideration department from those in (lets say) a pickup.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:08 PM
What would Mal do

ok..with everything..goods n bads obviously.

most recent examples:

like some friends who are still living on the coast.. if our primary house was that one we own down there, when hurricane matthew was bearding down...we'd just load up well in advance and make reservations up in the Ga/Carolina mountains to simply enjoy a week's impromptu vacation...no gridlock, no zombies,..just get out ahead of the mess.

normal times...the wife and i have enjoyed many a short notice weekend or a cross country run (carolinas to Arkansas...you do the math)...planned fun stops and activities along the way that included a couple of camp grounds, and some over nights at Pilot truck stop parking lots and even some off-grid on private property/mine sights etc (with permission).
basically fuel and a couple inexpensive state campgounds...and no matter where we were, we had out own toilet, our own kitchen, our own bed... love it

look...bad day could happen and a quick evac might catch us on the interstate parking lot.. i get that...at some point you might have to offload the camper a bit, unhitch and bid it farewell..toss the 3500 into 4x4 and chew up some grass...and when that fails, you grab your backpack, toss your wife on the back of the honda and try to get past the hoards of trapped car dwellers before the 300ft wave washes in from the comet impact..and climb the hill through the woods til you get to that lake where you auto-inflate your 2 man liferaft and paddle out to the middle of the lake cause the aliens that were hiding in the comet don't like water....

whew! ok. i think I've got it all covered now...

look..ya want a camper...get one..enjoy it..enjoy life...might be a great resource at some point too...the end.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:12 PM

I also like the idea of a small trailer that's loaded with your stuff, might even be able to sleep in it. You know, like a uhaul type trailer, or something similar. Even make your own trailer if you want, maybe find one on craigslist that needs a little work for cheap.

A conversion van or camper van is also a good investment IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cannabiscuredcancer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Hiker

I have owned a motorhome since 2010. I'm selling it. Yes, it is fully self contained, generator, heat, air, water, bathroom, fridge, TV, etc.. But, it's expensive to maintain unless you use it regularly to justify the cost. If we used it a lot I'd totally say a motorhome is the best option. But, we use it twice a year. The rest of the year I maintain it..oil changes, roof repairs, tires, insurance, gas, etc.. We spent two weeks in it over Christmas/New Years and it was great. But, as soon as I get it cleaned out it's for sale. Someone will get a decent motorhome at a decent price soon..

Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
I work on RV's for a living and I have no interest in owning one for any reason. Maybe I'm biased, but I've seen how flimsy they are and how shoddy their construction is. They're plagued with electrical problems and fire hazards, they're extremely prone to leaks (like, leaks are almost guaranteed at some point) and leaks lead to rot. Also, it takes very little impact force to cause a lot of damage. I can give additional details, but suffice it to say I wouldn't take an RV as a BOV for most situations.
Having owned several RVs I have to agree. Leaks are something you never get to rest from. I am always on the lookout for a bloody leak. I get on the roof every few months and spend some time up there. Now I recoat my roof every fall to get ahead of the leaks. The biggest killer of motorhomes is leaks, not anything related to the chassis. The storage facility where I store mine has quite a few neglected RVs that are going to seed due to leaks. People spend big bucks for an RV and then neglect the crap out of it. Makes no sense to me. Mine is old but, it doesn't leak and everything works.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabiscuredcancer View Post
I also like the idea of a small trailer that's loaded with your stuff, might even be able to sleep in it. You know, like a uhaul type trailer, or something similar. Even make your own trailer if you want, maybe find one on craigslist that needs a little work for cheap.

A conversion van or camper van is also a good investment IMHO.
This is basically what I'm looking into building. Figuire me and the lady can road trip with it. Not a ton of money. And put a small lift so I can take trails. Eventually put a solar set up. This thread actually got me thinking about it again. Something simple. Practical and easy on the budget.http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64393

Last edited by Gva; 01-12-2017 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Add link
Old 01-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,704 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post
Having owned several RVs I have to agree. Leaks are something you never get to rest from. I am always on the lookout for a bloody leak. I get on the roof every few months and spend some time up there. Now I recoat my roof every fall to get ahead of the leaks. The biggest killer of motorhomes is leaks, not anything related to the chassis. The storage facility where I store mine has quite a few neglected RVs that are going to seed due to leaks. People spend big bucks for an RV and then neglect the crap out of it. Makes no sense to me. Mine is old but, it doesn't leak and everything works.
I wouldn't exactly call a 2010 vehicle old. My fifth wheel is 2007 and in pretty good shape, including the roof. I am resealing it this year. I do think once a year is excessive, but every five years would be prudent for preventative maintenance which is what I'm doing. My roof doesn't leak now and I plan to keep it that way. I also added new silicone to all the windows, doors and roof seams recently.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 AM
ISIS causes Global Warmin

Thanked 5,498 Times in 1,859 Posts

Leaks? Maintenance? Tires? Oil Changes?

I know not of these things. My boat is a 97. NO LEAKS... 6k for a carport to cover a 40 footer... 40$ for a 14x48 Billboard tarp to cover a 40 footer. If your only using it 1-2 times a year... TARP IT and fo get it.

Our Boat goes out at LEAST 20 times a year and I STILL dont put over 3K miles on it a year. Drain the water, Winterize, Change Oil. EZ PZ.

If an RV feels like WORK... you are doing it wrong.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,704 Times in 2,233 Posts

Boats with leaks aren't boats for very long...they're ocean/lake bottom debris
Old 01-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,154 Times in 947 Posts

Some stuff has a life expectancy regardless of whether you use it or not. Our RV had new tires put on in 2009. Despite their not having traveled but maybe 5,000 miles, they're done. They're really no longer safe to carry that 15,000 pound RV down the road. Would they make a short trip? Maybe. I wouldn't trust them to go all that far. Not that they weren't good tires. They were excellent tires. It's just that tires have a lifespan, used or not.

Other things besides tires have lifespans, too.

Not suggesting having an RV is a bad thing or that it's too expensive. All of that is relative to your own personal situation. Thinking that an RV that's been sitting since 1978 with nothing done can be roadworthy simply by checking the air in the tires, that would make me very nervous.

Just saying...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellyman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2017, 04:12 PM
What would Mal do

had to come back around to this thread one more time..cause it's RV show season and the wife drags me around to a couple of em...that gets her cranked and then she wants to go to the actual dealer lots etc...

yes, we've found a couple we'd love to upgrade to...but here's the one big thing for me on a camper...regardless of the format...motorhome, travel trailer, etc.... I like the one i have most cause it's paid for!!

if bad times befall me personally and the rest of the world is still humming along..enjoying the daily commute to their office... i know i will not be homeless...ihave a decent working travel trailer...not as new, or large, or fancy as I'd like..but it's mine!

if you're new at this camping stuff...start out smaller, start out with a rig that doesn't toss you deep in debt...see if you like it, see if you'll really use it...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Prepared

This subject has been weighing on me for some time. The Class A is my hearts choice but my brain is voting 3/4 - one ton van and less than 25' trailer.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:02 PM
ISIS causes Global Warmin

Thanked 5,498 Times in 1,859 Posts

Go with your heart
Your significant other may have other ideas of "roughing it" and YOU will thank me later
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post: