Guilty pleasure canned goods - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 15 03-08-2017 04:41 AM
starting from scratch--what CANNED food should I store? craezie Food and water 64 01-18-2017 06:41 PM
Stored canned goods in oven, accidentally pre-heated jfone Food and water 9 12-29-2016 12:48 PM
Do store bought glass items save as well as Canned? ltrain Food and water 6 12-22-2016 02:17 PM
Easy Open lids on canned food not as good? Revision Food and water 25 10-18-2016 05:10 PM

Old 01-04-2017, 12:02 AM
Bazinga!

Thanked 1,875 Times in 772 Posts

Advertise Here

Canned tamales to kill food fatigue (add it to rice or beans)
Chili the same way - prefer Wolf brand myself.
Don't know how long the shelf life is but various chow mien / oriental canned meals with the 2nd can of 'dry' noodles attached to the top of the first can - can be nasty but I like em
Mini Ravioli (add hot pepper sauce)
Vienna sausages (when the mood strikes me)
Canned chicken (w/mayo goes better on crackers than bread)
Campbells bean w bacon soup
canned pineapple (open the can, drink the juice, let the rest sit in the can and freeze it - flavor is doubled)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad-max For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 53,901 Times in 7,398 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I much prefer canned roast beef hash to corned beef hash.

And I will finally admit that I keep a couple cans of roast beef spread around, too, rather than the corned beef spread. Cannot for the life of me remember the brand name, but it has a red devil on the label.

Also keep canned whole peeled tomates (or dices) (NOT stewed tomatoes), and Ranch Style brand canned beans. They are what I use in my chili. And that chili is one of my main comfort foods.

And since I am rambling, I will say that I make what I refer to as 10 Can prepper Beef Soup (obviously a play on 'tin can') that is also a comfort food, though it is not anywhere near as good as my homemade Beef Soup made with my homemade stock using oxtails. The 10 Can Soup uses canned items and makes about 6-quarts in just a couple of hours. Decent tasting, filling, and not all that expensive, even though I do use premium canned goods for it.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Hiker

So could you share, or is it in one of your stories?
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:

Old 01-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Preparing

Thanked 10,747 Times in 7,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stloutdoorsman View Post
What brand? Don't know much about canned bread, but it sounds like a good item to add to my stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Haven't bought it in a while since I'm not supposed to eat bread but used to get canned Dromedary brand brown date bread at Kroger (seasonally) and on-line at Vermont Country Store (over-priced).

Canned B & M brand Brown Bread & canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins I used to order on-line from Wal-Mart.

Toasted with melted butter or softened cream cheese . . . . . oh, boy, I miss the good old days LOL

Last edited by LindaLou; 01-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot: sometimes HEB carries it, too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 10:48 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 9,321 Times in 3,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
Haven't bought it in a while since I'm not supposed to eat bread but used to get canned Dromedary brand brown date bread at Kroger (seasonally) and on-line at Vermont Country Store (over-priced).

Canned B & M brand Brown Bread & canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins I used to order on-line from Wal-Mart.

Toasted with melted butter or softened cream cheese . . . . . oh, boy, I miss the good old days LOL
B&M Canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins doesn't last long around here.
Gets eaten rather quickly.

Like it enough, since reading this:

Elizabeth says:

In 1999 I made a batch of banana bread in a jar for Y2K! I used the same recipe as this:
http://breadrecipe.com/recipes from Allrecipes.com. I made it exactly as the recipe directed, and it turned out perfectly. It has been kept in our root cellar with my other canned goods – no special treatment, and around 45F year round. The last time we had one was about 2 years ago, and I have 3 left …….This thread prompted me to look at them so I might help answer the questions. The bread has not dried out and is still quite moist, but more so in the lower half of the jar. In future, I will turn the jars upside down once a year to help with this. …….If the jars and lids are sterile and all is done correctly, I would not hesitate to say this will last 10+ years! Hope this helps.

This is the actual recipe:

Banana bread baked in a jar

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7024/ba...aked-in-a-jar/

I make about 2 dozen per batch. None have lasted longer than 2 years, as they get eaten before that.

But, this I know, they last AT LEAST 18 months, in a cool clean dry root cellar.

Last edited by bunkerbuster; 01-05-2017 at 12:00 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,410 Times in 859 Posts

I like canned pumpkin over fresh, its not watery or fibrous.

Sweet potato pie is even better though I have not made one myself.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:40 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 32,109 Times in 12,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
I like canned pumpkin over fresh, its not watery or fibrous.
Seems like most pumpkin cans these days say squash on the ingredients list. I know pumpkin is a squash but that distinction leads me to believe a lot of factory canned pumpkin isn't all truly pumpkin anymore. Just guessing, but that wording has me wondering why they picked that word instead of simply pumpkin like the front of the can says.

In any case, this is the time to buy it. Holidays are over. Bargain bins are filled with pumpkin this and pumpkin spice that, from hot beverage mixes, to muffin mixes, to all kinds of crazy stuff. It's crazy that every darn year the stores overbuy the hell out of this stuff, but they do. You see the first markdowns after Thanksgiving, but by January they have that stuff hacked down to pennies on the dollar for the odd assorted leftovers. January is the poor man's Thanksgiving if you are patient and find the last markdown stashes in the stores. You can even BS store managers for a bigger markdown if you promise to clean all the rest of it out. They just want it gone and the space freed up. It may be odd tasting junk food but it's hard to complain about 25 cent pumpkin cupcake mixes.
To search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all the normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 05:22 AM
Grim Reaper

I like baked beans. Bush's brand beans are my favorite. I usually add bacon, green peppers and onions. We couldn't have won the West if it wasn't for beans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Yes, I keep cans. They are too useful as packaged. But I still prefer fresh in every form.

But I only wanted to make that one point, not start a diatribe against canned goods to derail this thread.

If you like a certain canned food a lot then I'm not going to tell you to stop eating it unless it is unhealthy.

Enjoy your Dinty Moore.

Just razzin you. Wasn't trying to sound like a smart a**.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,917 Times in 909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Seems like most pumpkin cans these days say squash on the ingredients list. I know pumpkin is a squash but that distinction leads me to believe a lot of factory canned pumpkin isn't all truly pumpkin anymore. Just guessing, but that wording has me wondering why they picked that word instead of simply pumpkin like the front of the can says.
Winter squash is what's in most pumpkin cans, and it's always been that way--there isn't that clear-cut a distinction, and squash tends to be sweeter and less stringy than pumpkin. Libby does grow a strain of ****inson pumpkins for its canned pumpkin. However, although technically a pumpkin, that's not much like the pumpkins sold for jack o' lanterns at Halloween, being much closer to a butternut squash in flavor and texture.

Personally, I say make a sweet potato pie instead, which gives you a really smooth, flavorful, sweet pie.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,917 Times in 909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
In 1999 I made a batch of banana bread in a jar for Y2K! I used the same recipe as this:
http://breadrecipe.com/recipes from Allrecipes.com. I made it exactly as the recipe directed, and it turned out perfectly. It has been kept in our root cellar with my other canned goods – no special treatment, and around 45F year round. The last time we had one was about 2 years ago, and I have 3 left …….This thread prompted me to look at them so I might help answer the questions. The bread has not dried out and is still quite moist, but more so in the lower half of the jar. In future, I will turn the jars upside down once a year to help with this. …….If the jars and lids are sterile and all is done correctly, I would not hesitate to say this will last 10+ years! Hope this helps.
[/I]
If this stuff is moist enough that you need to turn the jar to keep the moisture distributed, it's most likely moist enough to support the growth of botulism. It may last in the jars, but it doesn't sound safe to can--which is undoubtedly why the linked recipe calls for keeping it refrigerated.

I only know of one canned bread recipe ever tested safe for home canning, and that's a pumpkin bread.

For canned bread, I keep some B&M and a lot of German rye and pumpernickel in cans (which I had to order from Germany last time, but it was worth it). I've had German canned bread 5+ years old that was just beginning to dry out a little in the can. It keeps very well on the shelf at unclimate-controlled room temps.

https://www.dauerbrot.de/dosenbrot/b...rote/index.php

https://shop.conserva.de/de/88-dosenbrot

There are canned cakes as well:
https://www.dauerbrot.de/index.php/dosenkuchen.html
https://shop.conserva.de/de/89-dosenkuchen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,747 Times in 2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke
Do they even sell 100% canned pumpkin?

I know that you can't home can pumpkin puree, only cubes in water. And those a lot of so-called pumpkin cans are actually some other kind of squash instead of risky pumpkin.
http://www.snopes.com/canned-pumpkin...ually-pumpkin/ (Snopes isn't always the most reliable source)

***WHAT'S TRUE: As much of 90 percent of pumpkin sold in the U.S. (and 85 percent worldwide) is a proprietary cultivar known as a ****inson pumpkin, which are less photogenic than the type of pumpkins commonly used for display purposes.

WHAT'S FALSE: The majority of canned pumpkin is not a blend of butternut and other winter squashes.

Origin:On 23 September 2016, Facebook users began sharing an article which claimed that the pumpkin typically used in pumpkin pie is in fact a multi-squash blend containing little to no pumpkin***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
I much prefer canned roast beef hash to corned beef hash.

And I will finally admit that I keep a couple cans of roast beef spread around, too, rather than the corned beef spread. Cannot for the life of me remember the brand name, but it has a red devil on the label.
Just my opinion.
Underwood deviled?
Attached Thumbnails
underwood-roast-beef-spread-425-ounce-cans-pack-of-24-886.jpg  

Last edited by Sailorsam; 01-05-2017 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: add kewl content
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,694 Times in 6,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Min View Post
Winter squash is what's in most pumpkin cans, and it's always been that way--there isn't that clear-cut a distinction, and squash tends to be sweeter and less stringy than pumpkin. Libby does grow a strain of ****inson pumpkins for its canned pumpkin. However, although technically a pumpkin, that's not much like the pumpkins sold for jack o' lanterns at Halloween, being much closer to a butternut squash in flavor and texture.

Personally, I say make a sweet potato pie instead, which gives you a really smooth, flavorful, sweet pie.
The best "pumpkin" pie I ever made was from Blue Hubbard squash from my garden.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,156 Times in 590 Posts

Jackfruit, Lychee,and Mangosteen if you can find it.

Always loved condensed milk as well, just spoonfuls straight out of the can.
The Following User Says Thank You to ilgar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,410 Times in 859 Posts

I just ate at a Chinese buffet lunch. I had some canned lychee and Logan fruit, it wasn't very good, maybe some off brand. Fresh lychee is very good.

I'm on the corned beef hash side over roast beef.

My uncle was a boy scout leader, late 1950s, and used to mix up different cans to make soup or such. Sadly I can't remember what he used. He used to also start fires with steel wool and batteries. On which thought home depot has aa and AAA batteries, 24 for $5.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Another vote for canned tamales. These days we only eat fresh homemade foods when we're at home. But the tamales go with me during my camping trips, and I keep a supply in my emergency pantry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dingo Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Deplorable and Proud

smoked vienna sausages, love the smoky salty protein pick-me-up
The Following User Says Thank You to iowaguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
B&M Canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins doesn't last long around here.
Gets eaten rather quickly.

Like it enough, since reading this:

Elizabeth says:

This is the actual recipe:

Banana bread baked in a jar

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7024/ba...aked-in-a-jar/

I make about 2 dozen per batch. None have lasted longer than 2 years, as they get eaten before that.

But, this I know, they last AT LEAST 18 months, in a cool clean dry root cellar.

I am going to have to try this this weekend Sounds great
ZRT
The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie response team For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 04:48 PM
New Sheriff In Town, Run

Thanked 8,015 Times in 3,116 Posts

Canned fruits.
Hominy.
Pickles.

Chili.
Brands vary, so test a can first, then a case so you get what you like.

Don't store Snow's clam chowder, trust me on this one...
The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stloutdoorsman View Post
What are some of your guilty pleasure canned items?

Mine were ravioli, spaghetti with meatballs, smoked trout, and anything Spam. Recently, I discovered the canned Indian food at Trader Joe's, and it's top notch (brings me back to my childhood, not Indian, but my uncle was.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Guilty pleasure in a can = Bud
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post: