Buying a compass - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compass Needle Hitting the "Roof" of Compass tarkofsky Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 10-30-2016 09:52 AM
Q: Eton Digital compass disagreeing with regular compass woolly Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 08-11-2013 05:12 PM
Please help with compass RedNine Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 07-03-2013 03:26 AM
Compass REM Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 48 08-25-2012 07:14 PM
Compass ID Help? alergyfree Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 04-23-2012 08:27 PM
Buying food or buying a firearm kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 02-05-2012 12:37 PM
the buying oppertunity for buying cheap gold and silver will soon be over Cryptkeeper Financial Forum 10 11-14-2011 08:48 PM
Map and compass BOBtheBUTCHER Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 26 09-08-2009 12:59 AM
Wall Street traders are urging you to keep buying stocks, but they are buying guns Declan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 01-16-2009 12:24 AM
The sun compass Trogdor Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 09-22-2008 11:42 AM

Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
what is yerr 2010 plan?

Lightbulb Buying a compass

Advertise Here

Okay well I did a few searches and couldn't find a thread about buying a compass.
I think this is a basic yet important part of survival. So what do you look for? What makes a good compass for navigating with a map? what kind of compass is good for just finding out which way you are going? What do you try to avoid in a compass? What are some good brands to look for? Also some of us either forgot or never knew how to use a compass with a map. I personally haven't done it since being a boyscout when I was a kid so if anyone can point me to a website or recommend a book on navigating with a map and compass it would be great so I can refresh my memory. Also what kind of map is best for the outdoors man? I bet a road map is good if your in a city but what about in the middle of the bush? How do you know what kind of map to take along. Some of us are either new to the whole idea of being prepared (partially me) or just haven't used these skills in a while to remember for when the time comes.
GPS has come a long way but technology can fail

roof_top_eagle aka Frazer
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Good Bye

Thanked 1,401 Times in 669 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

If... IF I had the money to buy a compass that would be a good one for me, I would buy a Lensatic compass with Tritium inserts in the Pointer, and slip ring for night time movement w/o flashlights. once you set your azimuth up correctly on your compass, all you have to do is align the glowing dots, and walk.

something like This one. The military compass is an aluminum housing, with od paint, and it's very tough. It handles a wide variety of temps, and has a liquid dampening center.

Since I'm on the el cheapo budget, I have a the 15$ version w/ plastic housing, and photoluminescent slip ring and pointer.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
what is yerr 2010 plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigMund View Post
something like This one. The military compass is an aluminum housing, with od paint, and it's very tough. It handles a wide variety of temps, and has a liquid dampening center.

Since I'm on the el cheapo budget, I have a the 15$ version w/ plastic housing, and photoluminescent slip ring and pointer.
Yeah I was thinking military type. I like the one you mentioned because it comes with a case, I might get one. See I believe in saving for quality instead of buying cheapo right off the bat:D

Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 36,116 Times in 7,277 Posts

For a map compass I like a basic, simple model. The three map compasses I own are made by silvia.

I do not care for liquid filled compasses. The one liquid filled compass I own started leaking and developed an air bubble. Now that compass is useless.

Short little video showing a close up of my map compass. This video is part 2 of a 3 part navigation series.

All three of the videos are posted here - http://www.survivalistboards.com/for...er=desc&page=2

This navigation series was one of the very first videos I ever made, so the quality is not that good.

Sorry to kinda highjack the thread, but you can see my map compass in action instead of just typing about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Good Bye

Thanked 1,401 Times in 669 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

I bet that compass is much easier to calculate an azimuth right from the map, without having to use a protractor.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,587 Times in 657 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I use this
http://www.thecompassstore.com/guideorange.html
this is what I want
http://www.thecompassstore.com/8099pro.html
and this is the best
http://www.thecompassstore.com/5010geo.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Beaterar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Adaptable.

Thanked 1,871 Times in 673 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Instructional Post Outstanding Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 3

I have a number of compasses. I have a military lensatic which is my primary carry, stays in the pack unless I'm trekking then it is around my neck. My Fiance's compass stays in my truck, it's a fold down plastic map compass with a mirror for mascera. (If you can't shoot a back-azimuth without a mirror, your in sad shape.) I also have a transparent map compass with magnifier with all the markings worn off, yup, was dad's old prospecting compass) it stays at home with my maps, more a keepsake than a tool at this point.

There are some great books out there on map reading, for a simple overview and lots of extraneous information, I have Neil Wilson's SAS Tracking and Navigation handbook. Easy to read and offers a refresher whenever I expect to have to teach somebody map reading, as it is almost an intuitive process for me now, making it difficult to explain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guerrilla For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
28 Days Later

Thanked 1,137 Times in 593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
For a map compass I like a basic, simple model. The three map compasses I own are made by silvia.

I do not care for liquid filled compasses. The one liquid filled compass I own started leaking and developed an air bubble. Now that compass is useless.
+1 on this, liquid filled compasses are nothing but trouble, i always got air bubbles in mine, i use both a basic model and a digital one on my GPS.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Trapper

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 

Silvia are about the best name brand available. Militaries from all over the world are issued Silvia compasses.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 AM

Why don't you give a look to the RECTA compasses, are swiss made and the precision is, of course, very good. It's light and versatile.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 AM
veldskoen no socks

Thanked 2,572 Times in 1,431 Posts

Yes, Kev is correct. A silvia type compass is the easiest to use for sure, I have one and they are easy to learn to use.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh

I too have not done any navigation since I was in the Army cadets, I really enjoyed it, but too much water has passed under this particular bridge.
However since joining this forum it has been re-surfacing on my mind and have arranged to go Orienteering with the owner of our local camping store to get some hands on experience.
So if you don't hear from me, you may know why LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Passes Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Transplant

I have one of the military lenstatic compasses... and one of the silvia compasses... and another small globe-type compass. They are all attached in some way to my LBE in case I have to leave my pack behind. ONE COMPASS does not do you any good if you lose it, get a backup. Those silvia models are freakin' great, and they don't cost an arm and a leg like the lenstatic ones. We used the silvia models in the boy scouts, and we used the lenstatic ones in the military... I like the silvia better, much easier to use. Not as many moving parts, either. The thing I like the best is the magnifying glass on it though, never know when you need a magnifying glass...
Old 10-21-2016, 01:33 PM

Lensatic compasses are used almost exclusively in the military, and for various reasons are not recommended for civilian use.
Get a good quality baseplate like the Suunto M3, on Amazon for about $30.
Make sure it has adjustable declination, this will make your life a lot easier.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 11,304 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phast-phred View Post
Lensatic compasses are used almost exclusively in the military, and for various reasons are not recommended for civilian use.
Get a good quality baseplate like the Suunto M3, on Amazon for about $30.
Make sure it has adjustable declination, this will make your life a lot easier.
Could you expound on the 'various reasons '? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Sheepdog

Thanked 1,667 Times in 421 Posts

I use a Silva Ranger compass! Sighting mirror is great for cross country navigation, has scales to work with 1:24000, 1:25000, and 1:50000 scale maps. Adjustable declination, inclometer, and tritium sights and arrows! Easy to hold in a gloved hand and easy to use! I've had mine for about 10 years and it hasn't failed me yet!
Attached Thumbnails
20161021_135833.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayclimber For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,652 Posts

Silva
http://tech4o.shptron.com/p/ranger-cl-hi-vis

Cammenga
http://www.thecompassstore.com/military3h.html

Brunton
http://www.thecompassstore.com/m2.html the brands/modela i recomend from least to most expensive
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 8,753 Times in 3,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by богдан View Post

Silva

Cammenga

Brunton
Those 3 brands are exactly what I have/carry/use.
Plus a few others acquired over the years.

It just depends on your intended use.

There are some pretty fair plastic knock-offs of Bruntons selling cheap on ebay.
I bought 5, just to teach the novices & youngsters how one is used.

Give me a Brunton, a spotting scope & a rangefinder.
I can lay down or direct fire on anything in line of sight.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:39 PM

I never had a military land nav course. I use a cheap plate compass, I am not navigating across the alps, just looking to align terrain features when the trees are thick.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Homesteader

Silva that is good enough for geocaching.