Do store bought glass items save as well as Canned? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting from scratch--what CANNED food should I store? craezie Food and water 64 01-18-2017 06:41 PM

Old 12-19-2016, 10:39 PM

Default Do store bought glass items save as well as Canned?

Advertise Here

After the death of my father in law, my wife and I have been put in charge of his doomsday collection since we have the best basement for it temperature/humidity wise.

But some of it is very old, and there is a LOT of it.

Do glass products such as juice, apple sauce, pasta sauce, have the same (fairly) unlimited storage ability as canned goods? My plan was to keep all the canned food no matter the expiration date and eat all the glass and pop top (mostly soups) foods that have expired already and replace them with straight up sealed canned food.

But if it's all the same I'd just assume keep my father in law's stuff for obvious sentimental reasons. So this is a pop top soup question as well.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:01 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,602 Times in 12,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
After the death of my father in law, my wife and I have been put in charge of his doomsday collection since we have the best basement for it temperature/humidity wise.

But some of it is very old, and there is a LOT of it.

Do glass products such as juice, apple sauce, pasta sauce, have the same (fairly) unlimited storage ability as canned goods? My plan was to keep all the canned food no matter the expiration date and eat all the glass and pop top (mostly soups) foods that have expired already and replace them with straight up sealed canned food.

But if it's all the same I'd just assume keep my father in law's stuff for obvious sentimental reasons. So this is a pop top soup question as well.
Forget the sentimental reasons. Like life, food is transient in nature. Use it or lose it.

Not all factory jarred food is processed like proper pressure canned food is. Worse is the glass lets in light, which destroys food. Nothing is as secure as low acid factory metal pressure canned food is. Every other kind of "canning", even home pressure canned can't beat those low acid foods in metal cans. That said, some can still be rather long lasting, especially if the glass jarred food is high sugar or high acid.

Pop tops are a deliberate weakness added to the can and therefore a risk for the sake of convenience.

Use up any low acid/sugar jarred food and pop top cans in a timely manner.

Use up those juices too. They weren't pressure canned/jarred.

Another smart move is to rotate. If you had planned to eat a can of green beans then buy a new one from the store and go swap it out with a can out of storage.

Leave the sentimentality for photos, videos, and scrapbooks. If your FIL was smart about prepping food for emergencies then he would tell you to be smart about the same food after he died. Use it and replace it with new goods, especially items that are less secure.

He put up the food as a security to keep his family alive and healthy, not as a monument to remember him.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 11:07 PM

thanks, I kind of figured that but I couldn't find any break down of glass vs canned online so I came here.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,041 Posts

I agree with IamZeke. Food pressure canned in glass jars will keep as well as food pressure canned in metal as long as you keep the jars completely away from light, bright or dim, constant or occasional. Otherwise, it will degrade faster. Acid foods kept away from light may even last better than acid food in cans because the glass, unlike metal, is impervious to acid. However, some things are just stuck in glass jars or only pasteurized, not pressure-sterilized in them, which isn't the same. My impression is that most of those things (as well as a lot of things that used to be canned in jars) come in plastic jars these days, though. Any food in a plastic container has a max shelf life of just a year or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 04:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,487 Times in 893 Posts

While some guys have stories of ancient c rats I have had some poor quality home canned goods ten years old. So I would open some and see what it looks like then taste. Toss if bad tasting, its not like food is hard to come by now. Even if OK how much longer are you going to keep it? Storage space is valuable.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 143,898 Times in 42,419 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

One thing I've discovered about jarred foods is that over time, the lids lose their seal. I've had this happen with red peppers, curry paste, etc.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,361 Times in 3,258 Posts

Yep, it's ok to reuse food jars from the market (after a thourough cleaning) as a temporary storage container IF you keep it refrigerated. The safeness of non-refrigerated storage is dependent on the lid and once you open a new food container/jar the lid is done. That's why you're supposed to use new lids on canning jars..