Stored canned goods in oven, accidentally pre-heated - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 15 03-08-2017 04:41 AM

Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 PM

Question Stored canned goods in oven, accidentally pre-heated

Advertise Here

We had a small storage space problem when Hurricane Matthew came through back in Sept & I placed some added canned items in the big oven until I could get them put away in a more appropriate place. These are all tin-can store bought items.

So, hubby forgot I was using the oven for storage & started a pre-heat for a casserole..... my best guess is it was on for about 20 minutes & got to about 260º before he realized what he'd done.

So, what do you think the safety of the canned goods might be? I expect the fruit should be tossed, but what about the beans & franks or the condensed soups etc..... None of the cans are bulging or anything & we let them cool down slowly.

Just a note, we have the "big" oven which has a normal sized oven & then we have the nice couples sized oven that it the one we use most often. That's why I chose to store extra stuff there & why hubby didn't think to remember to check it was empty, we just rarely use that one much anymore.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,384 Posts

Yes, it's likely compromised the length of time the food will keep and the can will remain stable. Is it an immediate problem? i'd say no, these things were heat canned in the first place. Don't throw out anything if the can is still intact: no dents, sharp dings, bulges or leaks. Don't throw any away without opening and checking it out. Short term (next few months) it's my opinion all should be well (even the fruit). It's not the same as cans kept in the garage for month after month of high temps. This was a quick shot and now it's all good again.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Resident Plinker

Just cook and eat the stuff over the next couple of weeks and spend the money you would've spent on your meals on more canned stuff to put up. It'll be fine, it just might effect the long term life. So if you're worried, eat it sooner

Old 12-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Grim Reaper

Reminds me of a news story I heard several years ago. It was in Pennsylvania. On the 4th of July these boys had fired off a bunch of illegal fireworks from the balcony of their apartment. They had some left and decided to hide them in the oven. Later after drinking... they got hungry, and decided to cook a frozen pizza they had. So they preheated the oven...burned down the entire apartment building.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,843 Times in 3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfone View Post
...So, what do you think the safety of the canned goods might be? I expect the fruit should be tossed, but what about the beans & franks or the condensed soups etc..... None of the cans are bulging or anything & we let them cool down slowly.
As far as safety is concerned, they're no more/less safe than than before they got heated -- assuming there were no leaks followed by sitting around at room temp for a few days. You said they didn't even bulge, so leaks seem unlikely (and they probably never got half as hot as you guessed). They were probably packed at around that temp.

The seals may be minimally compromised, so their shelf life in that regard has probably been shortened by some slight amount. The only thing that really happened to them was some slight degradation of the texture and some vitamin content, if they actually got hot.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Threadkiller

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,090 Posts

If it takes twenty minutes to get to 260 you may need a new oven.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigmund For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 09:33 PM

Default Stored canned goods in oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
If it takes twenty minutes to get to 260 you may need a new oven.
Yep - that's part of the reason it's no longer the primary oven. When it does get up to cooking temp it stays there & cooks even. As it is. we use less electricity using the smaller oven
& it doesn.t heat up the entire kitchen. It's a toaster oven/rotisserie so it is a great size for just the 2 of us. Holds a nice size whole chicken, our most often used pair of casserole dishes, 2 loaf pans if I want to bake bread........

I'm keeping my eye on craigslist for another oven, simply because it does need to be replaced eventually. We've had really good success there, especially since I have the time to pass on the not so great ones. It would be a different story if we regularly had to cook bigger meals, but the small one & the stove top for skillet or pressure cooker works for us & of course the crock pot.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 11:55 PM
Paratrooper X

Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,195 Posts

My concern would be a compromised lining in the can; Which, if the lining is compromised, you wont know it till you open it. I would put all the cans on the menu over the next couple of weeks
The Following User Says Thank You to rc508abn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 03:14 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc508abn View Post
My concern would be a compromised lining in the can; Which, if the lining is compromised, you wont know it till you open it. I would put all the cans on the menu over the next couple of weeks
Ditto. And next time, put them under the bed or something. Never store anything inside an oven that will be a problem heated to oven temp--someone will always forget, sooner or later, that the oven isn't empty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Min View Post
Ditto. And next time, put them under the bed or something. Never store anything inside an oven that will be a problem heated to oven temp--someone will always forget, sooner or later, that the oven isn't empty.
My wife likes to store the iron skillets in the oven and every time I go to use it I forget and have two hot skillets to deal with. Yes we all forget, even if we know better.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsmith8881 For This Useful Post: