Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 Day Trip - Canoeing in Arkansas 40cal Arkansas 11 01-04-2017 11:54 PM
New dude from Arkansas! Kerberos1776 New Member Introduction 19 11-21-2016 12:28 PM
FBI releases the Vince Foster files!!! 13ella Political News and Discussion 20 11-03-2016 03:26 PM
Hello from Arkansas! Ballinsworth New Member Introduction 19 10-31-2016 02:39 PM

Old 11-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,118 Times in 5,289 Posts
Default Tell Me About Arkansas

Advertise Here

Looking for a piece of dirt for myself and my soon to be wife. We have found some sites we like in NE Arkansas, but I want to know about the state and the area from like minded individuals. How are the gun laws? Taxes? Race Relations? The last is very important as we will be a mixed race couple. If Arkansas is a very racist area, we need to consider somewhere else. Aside from that, if you current residents had just moved to the state, what would you have wanted to know that you didn't when you got there? Our general health is good for both of us. There will be no children involved except for occasional summer time visits and the like. My future wife is retiring and will receive a nice pension, and we have a significant amount of cash to invest in the right property.
How are the laws in regard to off-grid living? Is solar a viable power source? or do I need to consider other sources? How about water? especially wells?
Thanks in advance for any help/information/advice.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Deplorable & Proud of it

Thanked 14,379 Times in 6,693 Posts

Northern part of the state is better for water than the south. If you stay north of Little Rock, you're in good country. Western part of the state along the Oklahoma line has some centers of white separatist types that you'd have to keep an eye on. Not so bad elsewhere. Off-grid is not a problem most places so long as you're out in the county. Some of the towns can be downright nosy.... With solar as one of a 'rule of threes' power triad, you'd be in a good place here in Arkansas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 02:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Thanked 25,867 Times in 6,334 Posts

Land prices are reasonable, property taxes are low, (mine are under $200 for nearly 8 acres and a one bedroom house). NE Arkansas is in the Ozarks so I'd imagine water will be plentiful, gun laws are very friendly. Some areas will not be friendly to mixed relationships, the Fayetteville area is probably more friendly toward that due to the University of Arkansas located there. WalMart HQ is in that area also, Bentonville I believe.

There are a number of members in Arkansas who can, and probably will, add more information and specifics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:

Old 11-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Deplorable & Proud of it

And again the black sheep are among the first to comment....
Old 11-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Deplorable and 3%

The main area we are looking at would be north east closer to Missouri than Tennessee.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:01 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
And again the black sheep are among the first to comment....
Are you and I STILL the only members?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 03:15 PM
You talkin' to me?

Shoot a PM at "Hicks Industries", he's just over the line in NW OK. Since he's there on the ground he my have insights valuable to you.

I'm still a part time resident and for only three years at that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Prepared

[QUOTE=Darthmuerte;12569113]Looking for a piece of dirt for myself and my soon to be wife. We have found some sites we like in NE Arkansas, but I want to know about the state and the area from like minded individuals.

To be honest, I would get on YouTube and look up Viking Preparedness. It's the site of Pastor Joe Fox, an formerSpecial Forces officer and security contracter. He moved there 10 years ago with his wife from a suburb onto raw land that they have developed. Theynd can give you lots of on the ground advice at this point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 PM
The Darkside Cometh

Arkansas - remember - Bill and Killery are from there and likely to return.......
The Following User Says Thank You to druid189 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 07:59 PM
straight shooter

Thanked 5,065 Times in 1,570 Posts

I'm probably biased having lived in Little Rock while Billy was governor. I've got no love for the Clintons nor the Waltons so I wouldn't want to live in their state.

Before anyone brings up Cruz, Perry and the Bush family, I'm well aware that Texas has it's own corruption but at least we've got lots of space and aren't landlocked. Oh, ice storms in Arkansas really suck, more so than here.
The Following User Says Thank You to OKCorral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 08:39 PM
The Darkside Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCorral View Post
I'm probably biased having lived in Little Rock while Billy was governor. I've got no love for the Clintons nor the Waltons so I wouldn't want to live in their state.

Before anyone brings up Cruz, Perry and the Bush family, I'm well aware that Texas has it's own corruption but at least we've got lots of space and aren't landlocked. Oh, ice storms in Arkansas really suck, more so than here.
I have nothing against either State [Tx or Ak] but if Bill or Killery were former governors of PA [where I live] I'd be setting to move out the moment I thought they would try for the governor's office again. I mean we got our own idiot right now [Gov. Tom Wolf (D)] but I got to give him one thumbs-up/Credit where due....he signed into law, a Bill proposed to lift the historically long ban on using semiauto rifles for big game. The language lifts the ban but gives our Game Commission the authority to regulate their use. THAT'S probably going to take a few years though.....
Old 11-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Deplorable & Proud of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid189 View Post
Arkansas - remember - Bill and Killery are from there and likely to return.......
Not likely at all. There's too much past waiting on Bill in this state, and Hillary don't like it at all....
Old 11-29-2016, 02:00 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 20,521 Times in 6,785 Posts

You can get some damn good properties on the north/northeast portion of the state. Just make sure you have retirement, independently wealthy or a job laid out because there isn't much there. If money isn't an issue, I would do it in a heartbeat since the cost of land is very affordable there.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 02:01 PM
LEGAL citizen

FYI, Arkansas doesn't like the Clintons. It was after all Red this time around... and for reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
You can get some damn good properties on the north/northeast portion of the state. Just make sure you have retirement, independently wealthy or a job laid out because there isn't much there. If money isn't an issue, I would do it in a heartbeat since the cost of land is very affordable there.
My wife will have a very nice pension, and land/building costs up to 250k we will be paying cash.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:21 PM
LEGAL citizen

Personally, I would do it. If your wife will go nuts because of the lack of amenities, you could consider moving north of Hot Springs around Lake Ouachita. You can still get some pretty good properties around there and keep remote.. but be within 30 minutes of Hot Springs which has all the shopping she'll ever want. Personally, I would stay away from the Fayetteville area. Great job market, but it's getting packed up there. Plus, Fort Smith is right there.

My 1st choice would be where you are looking. Lots of affordable properties with running creeks...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Personally, I would do it. If your wife will go nuts because of the lack of amenities, you could consider moving north of Hot Springs around Lake Ouachita. You can still get some pretty good properties around there and keep remote.. but be within 30 minutes of Hot Springs which has all the shopping she'll ever want. Personally, I would stay away from the Fayetteville area. Great job market, but it's getting packed up there. Plus, Fort Smith is right there.

My 1st choice would be where you are looking. Lots of affordable properties with running creeks...
What do you know about race relations out there? That is her main concern, and to a lesser degree mine as well. She is a black female and I am seen as a white male.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 02:44 PM
LEGAL citizen

You'll find that Arkansas has a lot of people that tend to stick to themselves in the remote areas. A lot are retirees or couples, that like us, want to be left the hell alone. I wouldn't worry about it too much, however, racism is everywhere... you know that. My parents have white, black (mixed race marriage) and Hispanic in the area. They all look out for each other, but also leave each other alone. They wave in passing and may stop to talk if someone is walking. Other than that, you wouldn't even know people were around.

The key is to talk to your immediate neighbors and let them know who you are. Let them know you tend to stick to yourselves, but if they ever need some neighborly help, to let you know. You may even want to offer an exchange of phone numbers... up to you really. NEVER EVER walk onto someones property armed unless you really know them. That is not neighborly at all...

Common belief is that "country folk" is a race in itself. Color doesn't matter as much as it does in the cities or larger towns where there is "segregation". I'm sure there are some specific towns still living in the 1900's, but they are getting very scarce now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 03:35 PM
AKA Kerberos

FWIW racism isn't as bad in NE as it is in NCentral ARK.

From a lifelong NE AR resident.

If I were in your position I'd be looking for something on the ridge. (Crowley's Ridge).

Google it for details.

The land around here is crazy fertile so gardens will produce with abundance.

I only mention land on the ridge or close to it for the wildlife and timber.

Good mix of terrain all around here.

Feel free to ask any questions; I'll sub this thread.

Feel free to PM as well.

Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerberos1776 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2016, 03:38 PM
AKA Kerberos

America's Patriot is dead on with his comments IMHO.

Hot Springs area some of the most beautiful land in the state.

We visit that area as much as possible (for hiking, camping, etc.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerberos1776 For This Useful Post: