Easy Open lids on canned food not as good? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starting from scratch--what CANNED food should I store? craezie Food and water 64 01-18-2017 06:41 PM
Pocket Knives That are Easy to Open AND Close wolf_of_hearts Knives, Swords & Axes 43 10-21-2016 12:36 AM

Old 10-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,298 Posts
Default Easy Open lids on canned food not as good?

Advertise Here

Whenever possible, when purchasing canned food for LTS, I try to purchase canned goods with easy open lids.

Recently a SB member commented that she read somewhere that easy open cans should be avoided as they do not store as long.

Having never heard this before, and having seen no claims along this line posted in this forum, I searched SB threads for related info, but to no avail.

My only personal experience on this topic is that I'm eating canned soups with easy open lids that are 2-3 years past their date. If anyone has any documentation/thoughts/insights regarding this claim I'd like to check it out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,204 Times in 3,201 Posts

Those cans have been well tested and should be as good as the can opener type. If they weren't, they wouldn't be on the market. I've read comments here several times that they aren't as good, but I don't buy it. All cans will potentially leak and a lot of it depends on what's in them. I have a lot of them in my LTS and I'm not worried at all..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 02:25 PM

I have the pull top cans stored. Some products give you no choice, it's takem or don't have that product. I've worried about longevity vs. solid lids. I've accidentally dropped one can onto the other and had the pull top lid break seal. Just have to be a little more careful with them maybe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Threeleggeddog05 For This Useful Post:

Old 10-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Manipulator of Destiny

Thanked 22,898 Times in 8,361 Posts

Personally not a fan of them. I will use side cutters to open rather than deal with trying to get the pull lid off. I also wonder about the potential for loss of seal since the lid is thinner at the break apart lines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeleggeddog05 View Post
I've accidentally dropped one can onto the other and had the pull top lid break seal.
Seems like that would be somewhat easy to test... dropping one on top of the other repeatedly to see if there is any seal damage. Since the lids are manufactured to be pulled in an upward direction, I would think they would not be inclined to break inward. Maybe I'll try a hammer and tap on them to see what effect there is.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Target Shooter

I've had numerous cans with easy open lids fail on me. Most were name brands (like Campbell's Minestrone soup, Del Monte fruit, etc), but a few were store brands like ShurFresh, Shur Fine, Sams Club, etc. I do NOT like them and do NOT trust them. I've had several break open simply from being on the bottom shelf of a base kitchen cabinet and rolling onto the floor (4" maybe). Also had 2 that spontaneously popped opened in the bag with other canned goods on the back seat of my pickup.
I go out of my way to find, and often are forced to pay more, for the regular old canned goods in non-easy open cans. I just don't trust the thin metal tops to last for LTS.

Last edited by onlythestrongsurvive; 10-13-2016 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Typo
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onlythestrongsurvive For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 02:52 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Those cans have been well tested and should be as good as the can opener type. If they weren't, they wouldn't be on the market. I've read comments here several times that they aren't as good, but I don't buy it. All cans will potentially leak and a lot of it depends on what's in them. I have a lot of them in my LTS and I'm not worried at all..
I concur, but only to the extent that I am unaware of any problem. If I learn that there is, I'll change my view!
The Following User Says Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlythestrongsurvive View Post
I've had numerous cans with easy open lids fail on me. Most were name brands (like Campbell's Minestrone soup, Del Monte fruit, etc), but a few were store brands like ShurFresh, Shur Fine, Sams Club, etc. I do NOT like them and do NOT trust them. I've had several break open simply from being on the bottom shelf of a base kitchen cabinet into the floor (4" maybe). Also had 2 that spontaneously opened in the bag with other canned goods on the back seat of my pickup.
I go out of my way to find, and often are forced to pay more, for the regular old canned goods in non-easy open cans. I just don't trust the thin metal tops to last for LTS.
So altogether, how many easy open lids have failed for you? A dozen?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:01 PM
Target Shooter

In the past 3 months, I'd say 8 out of 35 (just an estimate). That's why I stick to non-easy open if at all possible. Too me, it's just too high of a percentage to risk for LTS. Now if the guys take fruit, veggies, canned ravioli etc as an emergency back up (in case of blizzard) while elk hunting, it's not a big deal. But I certainly wouldn't personally trust them not to fail in LTS. Money is just way too tight to risk possibly up to 25% of the food spoiling due to container failure.
JMHO of course
The Following User Says Thank You to onlythestrongsurvive For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 03:37 PM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 5,743 Times in 2,245 Posts

I have never had a problem with these cans. I have a selection of different cans, easy open and regular, and haven't a single can burst, of either type in four years. I keep them in a dark, cool place though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Of course, if you drop them the seal is slightly weaker because of its inherent design to make it easy to open...so just don't drop them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 9,307 Times in 3,331 Posts

We have some pop top canned goods in the kitchen cupboards & home pantry.
Which we use on a regular short term basis.

We don't store those type pop top cans medium or longer term.
Simply because they are not as sound at regular canned goods.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
Of course, if you drop them the seal is slightly weaker because of its inherent design to make it easy to open...so just don't drop them.
Except you can't quantify how they've been handled and transported before you bought them.

I'd be interested in some comparison testing between the old vs new style lids
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atomic Inc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
In the past 3 months, I'd say 8 out of 35 (just an estimate). That's why I stick to non-easy open if at all possible. Too me, it's just too high of a percentage to risk for LTS. Now if the guys take fruit, veggies, canned ravioli etc as an emergency back up (in case of blizzard) while elk hunting, it's not a big deal. But I certainly wouldn't personally trust them not to fail in LTS. Money is just way too tight to risk possibly up to 25% of the food spoiling due to container failure.
JMHO of course
I checked our LTS for easy open canned goods. We have a current total of 203, with dates going back to 2012. The number is probably higher as we have some unopened cases that I didn't check for lids. Never had a single problem with any of them.

But that just what's on hand in LTS. Then there is what we have consumed. Conservatively speaking, I'll say we open 3 of these type of cans per week for personal use. That's 150 per year. Just going back 5 years, it's fair to say that counting LTS, about 1000 easy open cans have passed through our household. No broken, popping, leaking, damaged or compromised seals.

But you've had 8 in the last 35 you've purchased. Amazing disparity, if you ask me. I'd have to guess that either I am very lucky, you are very unlucky, or something else is happening here.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,048 Times in 5,280 Posts

IMO, they are not as good. You must be more careful storing them. The lids will leak if you get too many cans stacked on top of each other. This may not be a problem if you live in a sticks and bricks home, but if you live in a small RV it is something to keep in mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,204 Times in 3,201 Posts

Quote:
JMHO of course
Are you doing anything unusual to/with them; storage, handeling...? I've had them on the shelf for years and have only had one leak. It was a can of peaches and from the looks of it the lid had buldged before it leaked. I've had the same thing happen with the standard cans too, so I've not seen any real difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmuerte View Post
IMO, they are not as good. You must be more careful storing them. The lids will leak if you get too many cans stacked on top of each other. This may not be a problem if you live in a sticks and bricks home, but if you live in a small RV it is something to keep in mind.
This is what I am interested in learning about, Darthmuerte. You have had lids leak from stacking too many on top of each other? Like how many is too many? How high were they stacked when they leaked?
Old 10-13-2016, 05:14 PM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,048 Times in 5,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision View Post
This is what I am interested in learning about, Darthmuerte. You have had lids leak from stacking too many on top of each other? Like how many is too many? How high were they stacked when they leaked?
I want to say it was the bottom corner of a stack of 10 high by 7 wide. Chef Boyardee Beefaroni if that matters. It was awhile ago and I changed my practices since then. I use a smaller stack and a FIFO rotation system now.

ETA: Another consideration is that the stacks were in the back of what is basically a 17' long van. SO, the bouncing and shaking probably did not help matters. That being said, the regular lid cans did not leak under the same conditions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 05:18 PM
Target Shooter

I treat all my cans with care. I try not to drop them and do not buy dented cans of any type. If a can pops it's top after rolling out of the very bottom of a base cabinet and drops maybe 4" to the floor ON ITS SIDE (continuing to roll), then I'd say they aren't as sturdy as regular cans. We live pretty rural, and I don't know how the cans were treated prior to my purchase, but I personally don't find the metal on the easy to open cans as thick as the "regular" ones. I can honestly say I've dropped regular ones accidentally onto a concrete pantry floor while standing on the top step of a 3-step stool and NEVER had one come open in any way, vs ones that have literally opened themselves up while sitting on the nice soft bench seat of my pickup. For this reason, I personally steer clear if at all possible of the "new" can opener-less ones. In my 62 yrs, I've found that Just because something is newer, doesn't mean it's better. I think it's just a matter of $$$. If the manufacturers can get away making a thinner product, it saves them and their purchasers $$$. I don't think they care in the least if the item stores for any length of time at all. That isn't their concern.
So it's up to everyone what they're comfortable using, but I'm not going to risk my (hard to afford in the first place) preps on an items that have failed me in the past.

Last edited by onlythestrongsurvive; 10-13-2016 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Forgot a couple of words
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onlythestrongsurvive For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmuerte View Post
I want to say it was the bottom corner of a stack of 10 high by 7 wide. Chef Boyardee Beefaroni if that matters. It was awhile ago and I changed my practices since then. I use a smaller stack and a FIFO rotation system now.
A 17' long bouncing and shaking van stacked 10 high with Chef Boyardee Beefaroni sounds like an industry-grade torture test if ever there was one!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:37 PM
Target Shooter

Just had a thought -- if anyone has any digital calipers handy, it'd be easy to open one of each type of can and measure the thickness of the lids (and the sidewalls) to see if there is a difference.
Unfortunately, I loaned out my calipers and they haven't been returned yet

Last edited by onlythestrongsurvive; 10-13-2016 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Added word for clarity