Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creepy stories from the indoors scosmo451 General Discussion 397 03-14-2017 07:55 AM
Creepy stories not from the outdoors itslikethatross Urban Survival 89 05-13-2016 03:52 AM
Funny Stories From The Outdoors AK_guy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 04-18-2016 09:02 AM
Creepy/Scary Campfire Stories JJohnsonMtMan Site Information & Suggestion Box 2 04-01-2015 02:50 PM
Creepy Red*Lion General Discussion 0 01-23-2014 08:27 PM
Can Anybody Say, Creepy?.......... MountainRecluse Controversial News and Alternative Politics 10 09-08-2010 07:12 PM
WOW, this is CREEPY Dirt Fisher General Discussion 1 11-02-2009 11:54 PM

Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Sorry About Your Feelings

Thanked 29,490 Times in 12,099 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

I had an experience like that yesterday...

I had been at my aunts house for the weekend helping her clean her house (late spring cleaning... fuuuuunnnn ).

They got a new dog recently, and I kinda wanted to see him.
He is a rare mix of Chihuahua, Dingo, and Basenji (an ancient Egyptian breed).
Go figure on the mix, but he ended up looking exactly like the Taco Bell dog.

Anyways... it was around 5PM (EST), and we decided we would go walk the dog down the road again. We had done it twice before during the course of the day without anything weird happening.

Now, this story would not make sense without me describing their neighborhood to you, its kinda strange for this area.

The entire road is on several hills that resemble something out of the Northwest or Los Angeles.

Our usual route is to walk down the road and get to the bottom where a creek has run for probably hundreds of years, wearing away what is now a kind of valley with a dense canopy of trees blocking out most sunlight... then we would walk back up the other side to the end of the cul-de-sac and then back home. Nothing complicated.

Here is a Google Street View picture of the portion I am talking about...

There have been rare sightings of coyotes down there, but it has been a very long time since one has been seen.

As I said it was about 5 in the afternoon, the forecast called for thunderstorms, and the skies were looking a bit ominous by then.
Our plan was to walk to the end of the cul-de-sac and back, it wasn't a big deal and would probably take 10 mins top.

As we were walking down the hill, everything was normal, and being the weather geek that I am, I was looking at the clouds and occasional lightning which I later found out was moving away from us.

We reached the bottom and stopped to let the dog 'go', and suddenly I got hit with this feeling of being watched by more than one set of non-human eyes.

We felt it at EXACTLY the same time, because we looked at each other with a "what the hell is happening here" look.
I said; "something is about to happen here... we need to get back in".
The dog felt it too, because he would normally fight us to go the other way, but he was practically pulling us back up the hill towards home.

I believe that all of us have certain animal instinct/abilities that we never get to use in our concrete city worlds and lives.

------
Regards

Last edited by The Dark One; 05-17-2009 at 04:15 PM..
Old 05-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Sorry About Your Feelings

Thanked 29,490 Times in 12,099 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Wow this has turned out to be a great thread!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Dark One For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
very very tired!

It certainly is !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamond lil For This Useful Post:

Old 05-17-2009, 06:27 PM
left coast survivalist

You guys haven't heard creepy until you heard the legend of the Stick Indians.
There is a legend of the Cascade Mountains of Washington State that people in the forest have heard sounds like children laughing and playing. This is in remote areas, no campgrounds, or resorts or anything nearby. When they go to investigate the source of the laughing children, they are never heard from again!
Don't ever let your child wander off in the woods or he may vanish and be turned into a Stick Indian himself!

Another Indian legend here is the coastal Indians of the Olympic Peninsula. There are old growth trees that have faces in them. The Indians believe these were people that went walking out in the forest at night and the trees grabbed them and they can never get out. They are now part of the tree.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 PM

it is stories like the first one that remind me why a dog is mans best friend. Thinking something is out there but having a sleeping dog next to you will put you at ease as fast as most anything.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 PM
This is a great survival forum

one time i was out at my local creek and i had the urge to take a leek, so i walked up to the creek and started taking care of buisness and while i was, i was looking around and about a foot away from where i was standing a 3 foot cottonmouth was coiled up looking at me. after a brief moment of cussing I zipped myself back up.and it swam away.
that sucked.

dont tread on me
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 PM

I've got a couple little stories that stand out in my mind.

First one took place when I was about 14 or 15 when I lived in Arizona. My mom had taken my best buddy and I night fishing, like we did almost every weekend. We got to our usual spot, my mom pops the trunk for us to get our gear and we both stop and just look around the area. He got a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach and was saying we should probably go to one of our other usual spots. I shrugged it off, grabbed my gear and got about ten feet from the car when I got a feeling like I was punched in the gut. I looked back, he was still by the car and agreed we needed to go elsewhere.

So we get to our other spot, everything feels fine, and we had an awesome summer night of fishing. Until about midnight. We were out on this dock, probably 100-120' from shore and out of nowhere a monsoon kicks up. Literally out of nowhere. One minute it's nice and calm, no wind, no nothing. The next there's debris and dirt and all kinds of crap flyin through the air and the rain and lightning kick on. We throw crap in our boxes, cut our lines and sprint up to the car. On the half hour drive home we had about 30 feet of visibility and at least 60mph winds. If we stayed at our first place, we would have been hit harder as it was at the mouth of this little canyon and we would have been down a 15-20' hill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same buddy as before except I was night fishing with his stepdad and two brothers. When we got to this cove we saw a couple police cars a few coves over, but didn't really pay it any mind. We go down and start fishin, but soon we're seeing a ton of boats going up and down the river in front of our cove, then a helicopter joins the search. It hovers about 50' the water's surface and is spotlighting everywhere. We come to the assumption that someone drowned, or got thrown from a boat earlier in the day. The boats and chopper are still doing their thing and we see something floating out in the middle of our cove, we all start getting on edge and just know it's who they're lookin for and the current is carrying him straight to us. Turns out it was a plastic grocery bag, but it had us spooked. Turned out that the cove we saw the cop cars at was the site of a drowning. Divers found the guy in a 10' hole in the bottom of the lake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 hunting season up here in Montana we went down by the Weiss River to try somewhere new since my little hunting party had all or opening week off. We get there, set up camp and there's still a few hours before the sun goes down. Everybody wants to stay in camp and BS and have a few beers, but I head out to get a feel for the area. Everything's fine and dandy, seeing a lot of elk and deer sign and think we have a darn good area. Then I find a couple logs that were quite obviously on the business end of a Grizzly's claws recently. My alertness goes up and I start to head back to camp, but I have this nagging feeling. I stop about every 10' and look around. Nothing's there but I can't shake the feeling. I finally push it to the back of my mind and just trudge onwards. Well, as I come around this little mound of dead fall there's this insane racket and movement right in front of me. Well, it was no grizzly, but 4 grouse that had been sitting on the end of the dead fall. The stupid birds got cursed and needless to say when I got back to camp I had to change my pants. lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004 I came up to visit my mom and stepdad. They picked me up in Billings, we swung down through Little Bighorn and into Wyoming and camped for the night. Next day we did a quickie through Yellowstone and planned to camp somewhere outside of it and drive back to Helena the next day. They like to camp with nobody around, so we exit the park, and find this little road to go down. We wind around in the trees for ages on this road barely wide enough for a compact car(we're in an F250) and come to this little hill. we follow the curve to go up it, but there's a truck parked in the middle of the road on the hill and it has tree limbs and brush stacked around it.

It's decided that we need to boogie out of the area as a really bad feeling washes over the thee of us. We back down until we can get the truck turned around and get out of there a lot quicker than we got in. Well, on our way out, this little red geo metro like car comes speeding up behind us and stays right on our bumper. Now we're all really on edge. We turn to go back out to the main road, but he follows, never slowing down. We turned the wrong way on the road and we came to the end of the pavement, but it continued in dirt and went down to a ratty mobile home. We pulled tot he side of the road, step dad grabbed his pistol, and the car flew past us, went behind the house, came around the other side to face us and turned his lights off and just sat there.

We turned around and floored it back the right direction and got back on the main road. We went down it a couple more miles before we pulled off on another dirt road and found a place to sleep. We weren't there for 5 minutes and that nervous feeling was still in all three of us, when we saw a flashlight moving back and forth through the woods beyond where we were parked. Once more we got the hell out of the area as fast as we could and ended up just driving through the night back to Helena. We never did find out what it was all about, but we're sure it was either poaching or meth related.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,580 Times in 1,844 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivalDude93 View Post
one time i was out at my local creek and i had the urge to take a leek, so i walked up to the creek and started taking care of buisness and while i was, i was looking around and about a foot away from where i was standing a 3 foot cottonmouth was coiled up looking at me. after a brief moment of cussing I zipped myself back up.and it swam away.
that sucked.

dont tread on me
That was natures way of reminding you not to polute water sources.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swwjeff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
MT Patriot:
I have had feelings like that before in the wilderness. I think it happens when a predator is in the vicinity.
Most people, living in urban areas, may no longer have, or may no longer pay attention to, that feeling you get when every cell in your body is screaming "DANGER!". We *evolved* ourselves out of it.
Good that you paid attention and heeded it.
I ignored my instinct ones something in my head said no don’t go into that field behind the bush and I was like I’m going there to see if I can see the red fox that has a den over there with the cubs.. So I walk around and sure enough there was a mountain lion like 2 ft in front of me I was like o crap that thing could kill me with out even trying... i was 8 at the time it saw me I saw it I backed away looking at it slowly and went back inside.. Apparently that was a young cat that came down from the mountain and ended up attacking on of the neighbors in the garden and his wife ended up shooting it...

The way I look at it now if I feel that way and its happend to me even in the city something said I shouldnt walk down that side walk so I changed the side of the street I was walking on and half way down It a car crashed into a pole that was were I would of been if I was walking down the street i was like dam That could of been me

Trust your instincts even if they are wrong better safe then sorry
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to haha49 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Hiker

I get those feelings in the city more than in the backwoods. Like one night when I was working down near Madison, WI I went out to eat with some co-workers. We parked in a parking ramp and when we were going back to the car I got a very uneasy feeling as we stepped into the ramp entrance. The feeling grew as we walked up the stairs to our level. At our level I couldn't get the keys out fast enough to get the car unlocked and then I couldn't get the car out of there fast enough. I was shaking by the time I pulled out on the street. I don't know what it was, but it did give me the heebies.

As for things in the woods. One night I was camping near where an old river dam had been. I pulled the canoe in late so I just draped the tarp over the canoe and crawled in underneath it and fell asleep. In the middle of the night I woke up to the sound of roaring water. I crawled up out from under the tarp and the sound stopped. I thought I must have been imagining it or it was the wind through the trees or something. I crawled back under the tarp and the sound started again. This time when I crawled out it didn't stop. The sound got louder and louder. I realized that it sounded like water ripping through the woods. Even the dogs had their hair on end. I quick pulled the tarp off the canoe and dragged it up to the top of a ridge and waited to see what was making that noise. Then I heard the voices, men yelling and a dulling thumping noise. I huddled down next to the boat, pulled the dogs close and waited for the sun to come up to find out what was happening. Morning came and there was nothing to see. To this day I don't know what that was but I have my ideas. I will not camp there ever again. I've come up on the spot as the sun was setting and I just hurry by and camp far away. I was told that the land remembers and that's fine, I just don't need to be there when it's remembering.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I travel light

Thanked 1,082 Times in 460 Posts

There are things into the wild, all over the world, that the white man won´t understand completely...I´ve been alone, awake, for hours in the middle of the night, in the jungle, just with my hamaca (hammock), my knife, my amuleto (and a bottle of rum ) just feeling the things (tangible and untangible) that fill the darkness...incredible experience.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Default First Wolf

(2) friends and I were riding our dirt bikes up and around a mountain trail that we knew well in BC in early spring. Dusk was coming in and with the tight trails it seemed darker then it actually was. To add to this there was about 12-14" of snow on this old forest trail. My bike had a headlight and the best rear tire to make a trail in the snow, so I led. I was riding ahead of them and stopped to wait for few minutes. I could hear them coming from further away then I thought, so I just sat on the bike and waited. Then the feeling of being watched came over me, it was not a fearful or in danger type of feeling, just that something was there nearby. It was undeinable, you just know. (As living beings we are energy, depending on the individual you may be sensitive to other energies and know that something is there). I removed my helmet and was scanning the area. There about 20' away on the edge of the trail was one of the most magnificent sites I have seen - it was a Gray Wolf just watching me. It showed no fear or aggression, just watching me with this poise and strength. I did not fear it, but I certainly sensed it. This happened about 20 years ago and I remember it as vivid as if it was yesterday. I then understood how aboriginals can sometimes state that a certain animal may be a reincarnation of a deceased tribe member. This wolf had this poise and look of experience, as if it had been there before and was just letting me know it was there.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Permaculturist

I was camped out in western maryland on a hilltop with a buddy of mine and we heard a very strange chirping, whistling, whining, grunt sound around 2am. The fire was reduced to coals and we were pretty tired at the time. But this alerted both of us. It sounded like a cross between an animal and a human, but all of the noises happened at once and ended with a whistle. The sound came from the bottom of the hill and I'd estimate it was around 800-1000 yards away. So we stood around for a couple more minutes before deciding to call it a night. 15 minutes later I heard the same noise 40-50 feet away from my tent. It was loud and scared the hell out of me. I got out with the spotlight but saw nothing and heard nothing. My friend stumbled out of his tent 10 minutes later with his single shot rifle and asked, "Did you heard that?" I said, "Yeah, great response time with the rifle by the way".

Last edited by composter; 05-18-2009 at 11:29 AM..
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to composter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Permaculturist

I've also talked to a few old Indians in the area and they've told me some pretty frightening stories about coachwhip snakes in the swamps. They said that there are parts of swamps they won't go into because "the coachwhip stands up and looks like a tree, they walk instead of crawl, and can whip a cow to death". This one guy was telling me about how he was plowing a field with his tractor, came upon a coachwhip snake standing up like a corn stalk, and the damned thing started running after his tractor, almost keeping up.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to composter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Take me out to the black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by composter View Post
I've also talked to a few old Indians in the area and they've told me some pretty frightening stories about coachwhip snakes in the swamps. They said that there are parts of swamps they won't go into because "the coachwhip stands up and looks like a tree, they walk instead of crawl, and can whip a cow to death". This one guy was telling me about how he was plowing a field with his tractor, came upon a coachwhip snake standing up like a corn stalk, and the damned thing started running after his tractor, almost keeping up.
Was he plowing his peyote field? lol
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM
very very tired!

Indian humour sounds like us up here with the english tourists !
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamond lil For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Prepared

Two stories, both from my mother when she was a young teenager:

First, she and a friend were walking down a back road in WVa. They heard some men and horses coming up the road and they hid in a ditch. She said it was very loud and they could hear the men's voices very clearly yelling at the horses, as if they were running a herd. She said the ground shook as the horses passed by them a few yards away. The girls were laughing because no one knew they were there and they were, after all, teenage girls. After the horses had passed, they looked out of the ditch down the road, and there were no horses, no men, no dust clouds and no footprints. Nothing either up or down the road.

Second, my mother and her sister were walking back from the store at night. It was pitch black down the road to home. It was a clear night. Out of nowhere, a column of bright light lit them both up. It came straight down on them. She said it was not a flashlight, but a very pronounced, precise and intense beam of light (think Close Encounters..). They dropped one of their shopping bags, picked it up and ran. They stopped running and got lit up again. They then ran all the way home. This was in the 1930's.

Weird stuff.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MMII For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Just fed up.

Thanked 1,305 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Indian humour sounds like us up here with the english tourists !
Cheeky monkey!!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chops249 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Prepared

I have a few ghost stories. None really outdoor related but I will share one with you guys.

My wife's family is Native American. They have from time to time "sweats" this is a form of prayer and cleansing. During the sweat you go inside a teepee shaped tent, usually a frame of wood covered by leather or tarps. In the center of the tent they dig a whole in the ground. They heat up big rocks in a fire until they are red hot then they put the rocks in the hole, everyone participating in the sweat sits inside encircling the rocks. Then they close up the tent and begin to throw water on the rocks. Steam forms in the tent and it gets very hot, a lot hotter than a sauna.

The second sweat I attended (in New Mexico in my father in laws house) was really the first one I got proper instruction on the do's and don't. I won't go into details because the thread will be super long, but something my wife (girlfriend at the time) told me was not to lean back or try to avoid the heat. From what I gathered it was disrespectful to do so.

So we get in the seat lodge and they throw in 6 or 7 rocks inside the hole and the last rock they throw in kinda bounces out of the hole and partially lands outside of the hole right in front of me. I could already feel the heat from the rock near my leg. The sweat begins and as they pour water I can feel that extreme heat going up my body. I remembered what my wife had told me, but I felt like I was going to faint (not uncommon for that to happen in there). So I moved my back as far as I could, leaning it on the tent wall and I looked up trying to avoid the heat as much as possible.

About a a minute or so after I did this. I feel a push on my back like if someone was standing outside pushing on my back. It wasn't hard and at first I thought maybe I was imagining it. So i stayed there and a few seconds later I felt another push, this time a little rougher. I was so startled I almost jumped in the hole with the rocks. This was in my father in laws house in New Mexico and he owns a big property, there is no way there was anyone outside doing that to me. We were there alone.

I later told my wife what had happened and she said it was most likely spirits telling me to do it right. The whole thing startled me, but not really in a bad way.

Here is another story:

I was at home here in Miami, FL one day. Alone with my dog. My dog is very calm and she hardly ever barks. Maybe if she sees a cat she will whine, but never really bark.

So I am at home alone with my dog and all of a sudden I hear my dog start to bark. I had never heard her bark in this way. The kind of bark you get when you walk in front of a house that has a mean dog and you know if the dog were to get out it would tear you to pieces.

So I get a little startled and go see what shes doing.

I find her in a room where my wife had left an old briefcase where she keeps things they use in Native American ceremonies. My dog was standing right in front of the briefcase, which was standing up with the handle up and she was scratching at the floor right in front of it. She kept barking and barking. That really startled me. I had to pull her by the collar and kinda slap her around to stop. I told my father in law about that and he said spirits are attracted to that stuff because that's what they use in the ceremonies.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to exodus125 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2009, 03:04 PM

FWIW - Researchers believe that Bigfoot has the ability to produce vocalizations in the sub-sonic (low frequency) range. This is a PROVEN capability in numerous animals - i.e. elephants and tigers. For instance, tigers produce an inaudible "roar" right before they attack a deer - this is thought to "stun" the deer. This low frequency capability is even documented to some extent in large apes.

Most bigfoot researchers note an extremely high coincidence of this "uneasy" feeling of dred that many of you mentioned. It is thought they use this ability to warn you out of thier territory. Also to allow them to seemingly vanish as your senses are temporarily incapacitated. These exact same groupings of low frequency have been documented by the military for use in non-lethal forms of weapons. These frequencies cause nausau and panic... Sound familiar.

After reading all the reports (yes the bfro.net is great) and many books - I'm convinced...