Ozone Generator(DIY) - Pics - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lister Generator or Natural Gas generator? NewYorkNewbie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 07-18-2016 11:07 PM
Got my new propane generator today on sale, it runs great. (Pics) Rockyriver Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 10-16-2013 07:54 AM
Inverter Generator or Standard Generator? ActionJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 08-09-2012 10:40 PM
When your backup generator is to big for continuous use,get a smaller one also(Pics) Rockyriver Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 08-19-2011 02:42 AM
arctic ozone no grid Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 04-22-2011 01:11 AM
Beats the ozone holes speedofl33t Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 06-14-2009 12:33 AM
E100 generator? (100% ethanol generator) Exists? nattylite General Discussion 3 12-07-2008 05:34 PM
The Use of Ozone in Medicine catdaddy Health, Fitness and First Aid 0 09-24-2007 03:09 AM

Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Just a little more.

Default Ozone Generator(DIY) - Pics

Advertise Here

While researching ways to get rid of surface mold and odors inside an unoccupied house, a leaking roof allowed rain to soak a few localized areas, several articles suggested that using ozone generators for shock treatment combined with cleaning and continued HEPA air filtration may be the best way to go.

Weigh the pros and cons of using ozone as a possible anti-mold tool and then decide for yourself if you would use it.

This thread is only intended to show ya’ll the unit I am working on and hopefully get some ideas for improvements or observations of potential flaws I have missed. Let's see how long that lasts...

After doing some price checking it became obvious the ozone units at $200 and up were much too expensive to just go out and buy one and while the units can be rented, well, it just isn't as much fun as building one.

So after purchasing and receiving a 12kV 30mA neon sign power supply for $75, shipping included,

several days were wasted on different experiments.

My favorite was a Jacob’s ladder with varying ladder designs, for example, a helix that was a pain in the ass to get right and a single spiral threaded around a center post. One of the more visually impressive setups was where the antennas were run parallel to each other and bent horizontally with a 4ft fluorescent bulb slid over the antennas. After some tweaking the electrical ark would run between the antennas inside the tube, it looked very similar to a warp core from star trek, and when compressed air was fed into the intake the increased air flow would cause the tube to fill half way with purple “plasma fire.” Surprisingly, when I fed oxygen from a cutting rig it produced disappointing results.

Anyway, the first thing to do was to make a test plate for the ozone generator. It consisted of a 6” x 8” window pane with two 4” x 6” steel screens centered on the glass with the leads attached, one screen per side of the window pane, and using silicone to hold the screens in place. After hooking it up for a test run the ozone was quickly noticeable when downwind of the unit.

After the successful test run it was time to build a plate housing. Scrap wood, some peg board and other misc material was used. A 2x4 was used to hold the window panes by making shallow cuts with a table saw and then sliding the panes in place. Luckily the table saw blade was exactly the width needed for the window panes. Below is the housing with six ozone plates installed, there are enough slots for 12 plates.

This is obviously a minimal version 1.0 and there are several upgrades and design changes planned in the near future. Some of the additions will be:

Two voltage distribution buss plates added on top of the frame to help clean up the wiring.

Improved electrical insulation.

A built in timer and on/off switch for power supply.

Plexus glass cover for top and bottom.

The feed lines for the generator will be spark plug wires and hardwired/terminated to connect to the transformer.

Possibly adding an open air spark gap for over voltage.

A dedicated fan installed onto the housing.

Non-conductive safety covering for both open sides so the plates can’t be accessed.

Here is another pic of the ozone generator at roughly the same perspective but with the lights turned off. While it is hard to see in the pic there is a low purple glow coming from the plates. The plasma is emitting energy in the ultraviolet spectrum and makes a surprisingly effective “black light”.

One problem to consider is that since the ultraviolet “light” being emitted is unfiltered it is possibly covering a wide range of the spectrum. ……UVA, UVB , UVC.(Looking into this now.)

Between being able to see the “black light” effects and the sheer volume of insects that swarmed it after the overhead lights were turned off it certainly shows that at least some of the NUV spectrum is being projected, certainly UVA.

As a bonus it makes for a GODLY strong bug zapper. We are talking Zeus in a rage and possibly able to handle Mothra. The first bug that was zapped had me in full retreat and convinced that an imminent catastrophic failure was near or at the minimum the generator was attempting to self-destruct.

So, anyway there it is and hopefully some more pics will be forth coming as the project progresses.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way as yet to figure out how much ozone the generator is actually producing but with 6 plates there is no doubt it is far, FAR, in excess of what could be considered safe. My plan right now is to use it for ozone shock treatments in closed rooms.

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements or observations of something I may have missed let me know!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I don't wanna talk about

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, get one of their digital timers. You can set it to only do an OFF cycle. That is really convenient.

I use an ozone generator in houses. I can turn it on on Friday and show up on Monday and the unit is off. It avoids having to try to get the house aired out and the unavoidable sore chest from huffing ozone.

Do you find your unit to be loud? I built one using two metal screens with a glass insulator between and a new neon transformer. It was too loud for my use.
The Following User Says Thank You to dgr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 06:49 PM
human

Thanked 4,281 Times in 2,057 Posts

Just food for thought..

We have a Air cleaner that uses a High Voltage (dc) filtration system.

It produces plenty of ozone, enough that it takes it about two weeks to cause the rubber surrounds in my speaker woofers to rot out.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6556 For This Useful Post:

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 PM

We used ozone generators back in the day on houses after fires. Clears smoke odor. Also back in the day when everyone smoked, we would pull out these smoke machines and cig smoke was gone like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rickity Plumber For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Target Shooter

I have one of these, though it is an older design (mainly just the way the panels are poistioned)

It does what its supposed to do, but have been afraid to try it in my car, have heard ozone can damage plastics/vinyls/ etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to TheReplay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 12:50 AM
Just a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, get one of their digital timers. You can set it to only do an OFF cycle. That is really convenient.

I use an ozone generator in houses. I can turn it on on Friday and show up on Monday and the unit is off. It avoids having to try to get the house aired out and the unavoidable sore chest from huffing ozone.

Do you find your unit to be loud? I built one using two metal screens with a glass insulator between and a new neon transformer. It was too loud for my use.
The digital timer is a good idea.

I went a little lower tech and picked up an indoor timer switch, it is the kind you turn up to 60 min and it runs until it reaches 0 min. The switch is now installed inline about 4 ft from the male end of an extension cord which leaves me about 25ft to the female end. The plan is to plug the fan and ozone generator into a power strip and then plug the power strip into the extension cord. I will be able to run the cord to outside the room and seal the room, plug it in and then set the timer. We are working around the house so we will be near by in case something unfortunate happens.

Since my generator is homemade I don't really trust it to be left unattended.

This unit is definitely noisy. It sounds like a bucket of ****ed off bees. Luckily it is only for my personal use so the noise isn't a factor.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:02 AM
Just a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReplay View Post
I have one of these, though it is an older design (mainly just the way the panels are poistioned)

Amazon.com - Foreverozone 7000 mg/h Shock Treatment Ozone Generator - Ionizer Air Purifiers

It does what its supposed to do, but have been afraid to try it in my car, have heard ozone can damage plastics/vinyls/ etc...
That was one of the units that was considered once I got over looking at the supposedly higher end units.

What do you use it for normally? Rooms? Houses? Fire damage odor? Mold?How long do you let it run?

As far as using it in your car, not sure. Some descriptions of ozone generators say it will damage materials in short order and others state that it worked great in their car.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:31 AM
I don't wanna talk about

I think your wind up timer is a great solution. For my needs, I need the machine to run for a couple of days in a whole house
The Following User Says Thank You to dgr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Just a little more.

We started replacing a water tank and piping on a well last night after work so I didn't get much done.

Found some plug wires and got them set up. I'm hoping the plug wires will work out.

Added a couple of distribution blocks that will be mounted on top of the housing and if time allows the wiring will be sorted out this evening.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 75,169 Times in 29,840 Posts

Love the ozone -- once a year I go to the beach and take a deep breath --
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Trapper

Since my wife has asthma and quite a few allergies, I use the ozone generator to "clean" out rooms. It works very well- and here in Florida with everything grows anywhere its nice to have a way to clean out a room. I also use it to clean out the A/C ducts and unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to kscmac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2015, 12:55 AM
human

If your project is suppose to serve dual purposes, a ozone generator AND a electrostatic air cleaner you skipped one important step.

Electrostatic air filters need a high DC voltage. The idea is to "charge" one large surface area plate which passes it's charge to the air (and suspended Impurities) and draw those charged Impurities to a filter that is connected to the other HV lead.

While using a High Voltage AC supply you may charge the suspended particles, but chances are that they are being drawn to random items in your room, such as walls, ceilings, doors, electric equipment, fans and elsewhere. The only way you can control where the "charged" dust collects is you supply those charged particles a large surface area with the negative charge that they will be attracted to.

Remember how the dust would collect on the face of the old TV picture tubes? The inside of the Tube was being charged with +15k up to 40,000 (positive).

If you have a 12000ACV transformer you might use 13 1kv diodes wired in series. a large bank of High voltage caps might be used to help with the filtering the the DC

This type of project IS NOT for anyone not familiar with High voltage!!!

don't put your lips on it!
The Following User Says Thank You to 6556 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Trapper

It is a little harder to find 15KV diodes now, back in the 70's when I built my laser power supply- any tv repair shop had them to sell. Now you might have to make your own diode string(with balancing resistors). If you have not been around high voltage- don't do a project like this!- find someone who is experienced to build it.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,664 Times in 4,123 Posts

Ozone generators: top two items in the pic linked below

https://ebth-14fa.kxcdn.com/media/W1...Q/DSC_9022.JPG
The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Darwath For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Just a little more.

Out of six plates two have shorted through the glass, both had one tiny hole and the screens short out. One plate failed after 10 minutes of run time and the second failed after approximately 15 minutes. Completing the setup has been put on hold until I get this sorted out.

The glass panes are from an old window. 30 yrs old minimum?
Steel mesh window screen. (New)
The screen is adhered to the glass using marine silicone.

Anyone have any ideas as to the cause?

Possible quality control in cheap glass allowing impurities?

Steel window screen vibration causing glass failure?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Just a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6556 View Post
If your project is suppose to serve dual purposes, a ozone generator AND a electrostatic air cleaner you skipped one important step.

Electrostatic air filters need a high DC voltage. The idea is to "charge" one large surface area plate which passes it's charge to the air (and suspended Impurities) and draw those charged Impurities to a filter that is connected to the other HV lead.

While using a High Voltage AC supply you may charge the suspended particles, but chances are that they are being drawn to random items in your room, such as walls, ceilings, doors, electric equipment, fans and elsewhere. The only way you can control where the "charged" dust collects is you supply those charged particles a large surface area with the negative charge that they will be attracted to.

Remember how the dust would collect on the face of the old TV picture tubes? The inside of the Tube was being charged with +15k up to 40,000 (positive).

If you have a 12000ACV transformer you might use 13 1kv diodes wired in series. a large bank of High voltage caps might be used to help with the filtering the the DC

This type of project IS NOT for anyone not familiar with High voltage!!!

don't put your lips on it!
Electrostatic air filters is a great idea that I never considered! oh well, perhaps in a future version.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Trapper

Are you running ac or dc high voltage? If its ac it can burn through the glass.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Just a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscmac View Post
Yes, I'm running 12kVAC.

Added the distribution blocks last night and wired the plates to them. Also swapped the feed wires out and started using spark plug wires.

After a couple of test runs last night, one at 15 min and another at 30 min, no more plates burned out. So I don't know. Longer tests this evening with the addition of more plates.

Perhaps it was just those two plates?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 AM
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscmac View Post
Never heard of such a thing!

Why would this be true?

A voltage arc is a function of Voltage (potential) and resistance between the two electrodes. Maintaining the arc then continues to be voltage (potential) and the current (amperage) the power supply can deliver/pass thru the arc's path. The resistance of the arc's path changes/drops as soon as the electrons jump and creates the "arc".

Whether the ARC is AC or DC does not change the Voltage/resistance/amperage.

Or am I missing something?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Idiot Savant x Infinity

Why would you want to create an Ozone environment in your home that is known to cause lung damage, reduce lung capacity and cause numerous other health issues. Safe levels of Ozone will NOT kill bacteria, mold or remove dust or pollen from the air. The ppm levels needed (Over Hazardous smog alert levels) to do so WILL Cause lung damage. Ozone is very harmful to the lungs and can lead to permanent lung damage. I've spent 1000's of hours wearing full Hazmat gear inside a Nuclear Plant. Health Safety Inspector.

Purifying water with an Ozone generator would work but never introduce ozone into your air supply!

I've built Ozone generators when I was younger. This was for testing rubber and elastomer's resistance to ozone degradation. Stick some rubber bands that are stretched out inside one of your ozone generators that's sealed off. Then watch the rubber bands quickly disintegrate. This is also true for 100's of items in your home that you can destroy with Ozone levels high enough to clean the air. Example: "Destroying your speaker surrounds on your woofers."

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/ozone.htm

http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/enviro...fact_sheet.pdf

################################################## #######

QUOTE:

Ozone is a toxic gas. However, it can be used safely when deployed by specialized generators under proper considerations. The odor of ozone is detectable by most people at a level of 0.003 - 0.015 ppm and becomes intolerable to most people at 0.15 ppm. The general consensus is that when you can smell ozone gas, it's time to evacuate the area of life forms.

Conclusions:

Whether in its pure form or mixed with other chemicals, ozone can be harmful to health.

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts of ozone can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and, throat irritation. It may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma as well as compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.

Some studies show that ozone concentrations produced by ozone generators can exceed health standards even when one follows manufacturer’s instructions.

Many factors affect ozone concentrations including the amount of ozone produced by the machine(s), the size of the indoor space, the amount of material in the room with which ozone reacts, the outdoor ozone concentration, and the amount of ventilation. These factors make it difficult to control the ozone concentration in all circumstances.

Available scientific evidence shows that, at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is generally ineffective in controlling indoor air pollution.

The concentration of ozone would have to greatly exceed health standards to be effective in removing most indoor air contaminants. In the process of reacting with chemicals indoors, ozone can produce other chemicals that themselves can be irritating and corrosive.
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Technologist For This Useful Post: