'Questions and Discussion for Dangerous Creatures Thread' - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dangerous creatures you know of? Fira777 General Discussion 28 05-25-2015 10:39 PM
North United States of America dangerous spiders questions Fira777 Health, Fitness and First Aid 16 03-10-2014 07:26 PM
The Fighters' Discussion Thread junglecrawler Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 96 04-27-2013 08:44 AM
Bitcoin discussion, Q&A... come here to learn, ask questions and discuss jaycrew Financial Forum 66 04-25-2013 10:40 PM
The who knows vaccines are dangerous thread JerseyPatriot Polls and Surveys 93 02-26-2013 11:13 PM
Survival Questions for Family Discussion AmericanPatriot121 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-21-2011 12:47 PM
grey water discussion questions meredith Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 09-30-2010 01:44 PM
Aus/NZ Hunting & Fishing Discussion (BS) thread Te Hopo Australia and New Zealand 67 02-10-2010 06:41 AM

Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,994 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
All true, but most people are aware of Hymenoptra and jellyfish, and tend to avoid them. Shrews, yes, they bite, but 1, they look like mice, and 2, they STINK! Most people won't tend towards handling them.

The focus was on animals that people either don't know much about, and are likely to come across. That said, I thought about covering the fire ant (Solenopsis invicta), and the yellow harvester ant (Pogonomyrmex maricopa), but most people don't like ants and avoid them. The Yellow harvester ant is one of the most dangerously venomous insects in the world, but they don't live around people much. Basically, deep desert dwellers. I also will include a pic of the Velvet ant (Dasymutilla occidentalis). They aren't ants, but flightless wasps, and they HURT when they sting!

Thanks for the heads up!

Velvet ant pics below.
We call those Cow Ants in Mississippi . You can crush one in the ground with a boot heel,& he keeps going. Hurts almost as bad as Stinging Worms. I have had them roll down my shirt, picking Okra,& hurt as bad as a small Copperhead bite
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,861 Times in 1,319 Posts

I got bitten on the finger once, got know idear what it was but I suspect a red back spider, (this is Australia, I think red backs are the same or similar to a black widow spider?). Happened about 10am got a little raised lump with a hole in the middle just above the fingurenail on the left index fingure, thought it might have been a thistle so I started to give it a bit of a dig with my pocket knife, that brought on massive burning sting sensation that wouldn't let up.

I thought, "well I'll be alright," so went back to work. By dinner time I was feeling real sic and couldn't eat anything. Sufering cold shivers and sweats whist watching TV I got up to go to bed about 10.30pm (so about 12hrs later) and could hardly stand up room was spinning and speech was slurred, literally had to hang onto the walls to stop from falling. My brother in his infanat wisdom reconed I would be right, gave me a asprin and set me to stagger off to bed. I remember thinking as I was drifting off to sleep that there was a very real chance I might not wake up, but feeling to sic to do anything about it( had some really strong words to say to my brother later).

Awoke next morning felling ok but really drained. The fingure that got bit and the one beside it were both real painful and swollen to the size of thick sausages and I was swollen in the gland under the armpit. A nasty raised blister at the bite sight came up and adventually burst a few days later causeing a lot of pain and exposing the flesh not just the lower layer of the skin like a regular blister.

All the skin adventually flacked of the 2 fingures and what grew undernear was brown papery and wrinkled like a old man( I was 18 at the time). 30yrs later if I look hard I can still see a difference in the skin on that fingure as opposed to the corisponding fingure on the right hand. Never did go to the doctor and never did find out what bit me. Another suspect was the funnelweb spider, that used to regularly kill people till a antivenean was developed. I was a big fit tough 18yr old at the time and obviously took a lot of killing.

Moral to the story, go to the doctor and don't trust your brother.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dillin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 12:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,622 Times in 3,100 Posts

And then there's this beauty. From the top looks like just another brown house spider. The underside tells the tale.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:

Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Nice thing about living in Michigan is there is no problem with snakes and other animals there are in the southern states.
The Following User Says Thank You to garkam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garkam View Post
Nice thing about living in Michigan is there is no problem with snakes and other animals there are in the southern states.
Amen to that. I'll put up with the crazy weather and cold winters as long as I don't have to constantly look in my boots for something that could send me to the ER.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,337 Times in 3,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
And then there's this beauty. From the top looks like just another brown house spider. The underside tells the tale.

Is that the brown recluse (sp?).
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
Is that the brown recluse (sp?).
hourglass marking indicates a Black widow but since it is brown, this is a brown widow spider, little bit less toxic then its well known cousin but is coming up more and more in Cali. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0..._1646835.html?
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike2004 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,426 Posts

I've seen several brown widows here and black or two ,lots of ground spiders but with a good healthy bird population the only places t be weary of are dark out of the way, under things .
Even then, with a good population of lizards that's been dealt with too.
I use to see rattlers here but with the ongoing construction and new wineries going in even they are not being seen much any more.
The coyotes and hawks and owls are devouring all the rabbits , I've only seen one now in the last year where before I had at least a dozen or so , some actually not afraid of me.
Having chickens attracts trouble and seems to be chasing off the wild birds to some degree .
I'll have to move wild bird feeders to another part of the place.
When i lived in the mountains (Big Bear Lake) we saw a much broader range of critters
even the thistle down wasp, but that one was very rare.
What was fun is finding critters that aren't in any of the books you own . in those day there was no internet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2004 View Post
hourglass marking indicates a Black widow but since it is brown, this is a brown widow spider, little bit less toxic then its well known cousin but is coming up more and more in Cali. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0..._1646835.html?
In South Mississippi we have Black.Widows , everywhere. My property has a lot of trees & shade, so you pick up a cinder block without checking. I killed a small male today and showed my kids what to watch for. It was about seven years ago i was installing an A/C and under the house, there where at least 100 large Brown Widows. I don't know how i didn't get bit. I told the homeowners they better get a pest control man quick . I figured it was some cross breed . So a Brown Widow is a species of its own , right? Not a mixed breed? i have never saw one till then, & i never see them on.my property ...just a lot of Black Widows
The Following User Says Thank You to Carney For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carney View Post
In South Mississippi we have Black.Widows , everywhere. My property has a lot of trees & shade, so you pick up a cinder block without checking. I killed a small male today and showed my kids what to watch for. It was about seven years ago i was installing an A/C and under the house, there where at least 100 large Brown Widows. I don't know how i didn't get bit. I told the homeowners they better get a pest control man quick . I figured it was some cross breed . So a Brown Widow is a species of its own , right? Not a mixed breed? i have never saw one till then, & i never see them on.my property ...just a lot of Black Widows
Right as far as what read shows it is a completely different species vs the black widow. Which could be why they are more predominate in some locations and pushing the black widows out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike2004 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Survivor

I am seeing more and more Timber Rattlers in Mississippi that when provoked, will coil up and strike, with never rattling. Adaptation to stay alive
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 AM
Target Shooter

The brown widow is interesting.
We dont get many red backs here, (tropical climate) but we do get a lot of spiders very similar to brown widow in that picture. They have a different egg sack to a red back, spikey white balls. Will take a pic tomorrow in day light. They love out door furnature here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barratrooper1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 02:17 AM
Survivor

I saw a rattler this weekend while hiking that was the biggest I have ever seen. The thing was at least as big as my arm around and had to be 5-6ft. The rattle was a good 5 inches as well. I wish I could've got a picture of it but it was up in the brush on a hill side.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 10,118 Times in 3,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garkam View Post
You have the Massassauga rattlesnake in your bogs and swamps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Damn dirty ape

When I camp I LOVE to fish in the swamps. Places where most people won't go makes for great fishing, it also makes for giant gators and water moccasins. So when fishing offshore in the swamp I tend to stand with a tree between me and the water, so a gator can't explode at me from the water. Water moccasins can be a bit trickier. Keeping an eye pealed is the best bet. I was charged by a five footer last time out. they are known for their reflexes and temper, So am I. and that's why he's hangin on my wall ��
The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Ape For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Damn dirty ape

Another concern that people tend to overlook are the wild boars. Now they won't activly seek a fight with you, but they will charge if startled and cornered. I have luckily never had to dispatch one in the heat of the moment but I have come very close. I have come around the bend of a trail on more than one occasion and been within feet of a mean wild pig, good thing for me it was never a sow with her piglets.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
When I camp I LOVE to fish in the swamps. Places where most people won't go makes for great fishing, it also makes for giant gators and water moccasins. So when fishing offshore in the swamp I tend to stand with a tree between me and the water, so a gator can't explode at me from the water. Water moccasins can be a bit trickier. Keeping an eye pealed is the best bet. I was charged by a five footer last time out. they are known for their reflexes and temper, So am I. and that's why he's hangin on my wall 😵
Cottonmouths are the most aggressive, territorial, venomous snake I have met. They will not try to escape if you wind up in there territory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428979122082.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	97991  
Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,622 Times in 3,100 Posts

Speaking of velvet ants... they aren't always brightly colored.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Survivor

This is a great thread and I appreciate the knowledge many of you have. I've been learning a lot.

Here's a question one of you may be able to answer. I live in So Cal and while out hiking I have been seeing more lizards than I have ever seen (all sizes). Is this because the snake population is low? I know they have many predators but I have wondered why there are so many this year.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Prepared

About half of our timber rattlers no longer rattle. Oh they can, they just don't! The reason? Russian boar that promptly eat the ones that rattle! Even a rattle snake can learn to STFU! Wish my ex could have mastered that Of course I still miss her, but my aim is getting better!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post: