Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dangerous creatures you know of? Fira777 General Discussion 28 05-25-2015 10:39 PM
North United States of America dangerous spiders questions Fira777 Health, Fitness and First Aid 16 03-10-2014 07:26 PM
The Fighters' Discussion Thread junglecrawler Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 96 04-27-2013 08:44 AM
Bitcoin discussion, Q&A... come here to learn, ask questions and discuss jaycrew Financial Forum 66 04-25-2013 10:40 PM
The who knows vaccines are dangerous thread JerseyPatriot Polls and Surveys 93 02-26-2013 11:13 PM
Survival Questions for Family Discussion AmericanPatriot121 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-21-2011 12:47 PM
grey water discussion questions meredith Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 09-30-2010 01:44 PM
Aus/NZ Hunting & Fishing Discussion (BS) thread Te Hopo Australia and New Zealand 67 02-10-2010 06:41 AM

Old 10-12-2014, 04:24 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 10,125 Times in 3,824 Posts
Default 'Questions and Discussion for Dangerous Creatures Thread'

Advertise Here

Here is the place to ask questions about the "Dangerous Creatures thread".
Looking forward to the comments.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,645 Times in 3,107 Posts

We have a few nasty examples of Hymenoptera you might want to explore. Most are anaphylaxis threats and some, like Africanized honeybees, can kill you with numbers, even without any particular sensitivity.

And there are jellyfish off the coasts and you definitely don't want to get bit by a shrew.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 07:22 PM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
We have a few nasty examples of Hymenoptera you might want to explore. Most are anaphylaxis threats and some, like Africanized honeybees, can kill you with numbers, even without any particular sensitivity.

And there are jellyfish off the coasts and you definitely don't want to get bit by a shrew.
All true, but most people are aware of Hymenoptra and jellyfish, and tend to avoid them. Shrews, yes, they bite, but 1, they look like mice, and 2, they STINK! Most people won't tend towards handling them.

The focus was on animals that people either don't know much about, and are likely to come across. That said, I thought about covering the fire ant (Solenopsis invicta), and the yellow harvester ant (Pogonomyrmex maricopa), but most people don't like ants and avoid them. The Yellow harvester ant is one of the most dangerously venomous insects in the world, but they don't live around people much. Basically, deep desert dwellers. I also will include a pic of the Velvet ant (Dasymutilla occidentalis). They aren't ants, but flightless wasps, and they HURT when they sting!

Thanks for the heads up!

Velvet ant pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VA1.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	91819   Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Velvet_Ant_(Mutillidae),_Dasymutilla,_Albuquerque.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	91820  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:

Old 10-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Survivor

I see lots of velvet ants. Not all are red. I've seen yellow and white and some that don't look velvety at all.

Africanized honeybee problem is getting really serious. Not the "Oh !@#$%^! the cow just stepped on a yellow jacket nest and I'm right behind her." variety. Rather the "I am being attacked by thousands of bees and I might not make it to see another day" variety.

I have been told and have read a couple places that the sting of the Tarantula Hawk is the most painful insect sting in the world. First aid was described as "Fall to the ground and writhe in agony for an hour and then you'll be okay." Fortunately they are not at all aggressive and most stings come from idiots who mess with them. Beneficial insects who sip nectar and can take out a tarantula in stinger to fang combat. As such I think it deserves an honorable mention in these hallowed halls of data.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,064 Times in 668 Posts

Thank GOD, I only have bears to be OPSEC about. OK, I have a "LOT" of bears to be paying close attention to their behavior, especially when they are in the back yard.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 PM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
I see lots of velvet ants. Not all are red. I've seen yellow and white and some that don't look velvety at all.

Africanized honeybee problem is getting really serious. Not the "Oh !@#$%^! the cow just stepped on a yellow jacket nest and I'm right behind her." variety. Rather the "I am being attacked by thousands of bees and I might not make it to see another day" variety.

I have been told and have read a couple places that the sting of the Tarantula Hawk is the most painful insect sting in the world. First aid was described as "Fall to the ground and writhe in agony for an hour and then you'll be okay." Fortunately they are not at all aggressive and most stings come from idiots who mess with them. Beneficial insects who sip nectar and can take out a tarantula in stinger to fang combat. As such I think it deserves an honorable mention in these hallowed halls of data.

Agreed! I've Been stung by the Pepsis wasp (Tarantula hawk), a bullet ant, AND a yellow harvester ant ON PURPOSE (The latter, I wish I wouldn'tve done!)! The harvester ant was the WORST!! Seems like it went right to my stomach. I threw up for a couple days, and my toe was throbbing the whole time! Bullet ant was extremely painful, but short in duration. The Tarantula hawk, was as painful as the Harvester ant, minus the nausea, and duration. I don't know why I don't follow my own advice. I can't not touch! I have allowed myself to be stung by ants, hornets, scorpions, and water beetles....... On purpose, mind you.

Why?

1) I'm curious.

2) I'm an idiot.

Name it, I've probably been stung by it! The Hognose snake was the scariest envenomation I've ever had!.

One of these days, I'll list what I've been stung by (Pretty long list!), and rate them by stupidity level.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Survivor

Pogonomyrmex maricopa? For overall toxicity I believe it is the worst. Contains an alkaloid poison. One sting can kill a mouse. It bites you with very powerful mandibles and hangs on while stinging multiple times. This releases a pheromone telling every other ant in the neighborhood to come and sting you. Very bad juju, that.

Yes. You are a very curious idiot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 AM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Pogonomyrmex maricopa? For overall toxicity I believe it is the worst. Contains an alkaloid poison. One sting can kill a mouse. It bites you with very powerful mandibles and hangs on while stinging multiple times. This releases a pheromone telling every other ant in the neighborhood to come and sting you. Very bad juju, that.

Yes. You are a very curious idiot.
YUP! Very bad! My stings have all been under controlled laboratory conditions (except one). The harvester ant was in hemostats, and placed on my big toe. I didn't want it stinging my hand. Within 10 minutes, I started projectile vomiting, blurry (slightly) vision. I thought I was going to vomit my guts out. I couldn't smell anything, or taste anything for a couple days, my kidneys hurt. my toe felt like it was being squeezed in a red-hot vice for two days. The feeling was really sickening. That one, I wish I hadn't done.

I allowed an Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia) to sting me once. I let it crawl around on my hand for an hour. Very docile creature. I had to literally, press it pretty hard on my thigh, to get it to sting, but not hard enough to hurt it. It was bad, but not nearly as bad as P, maricopa, and much like P. grossa, without the "electric shock" effect. I don't think it gave me a real bad sting.

After an hour, when I stopped screaming like a little girl, I picked up the same wasp, and it was as docile as ever.

The Bullet ant is supposed to have the most painful sting..... I disagree. The pain from P. maricopa, was just as painful, if not a bit more so, but with an added "sickening" feeling, longer duration, and a lot more swelling.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:46 AM

Question from Oklahoma here. We have WDB rattlers where I live. They have several "rattlesnake festivals" in the early spring around the state where they ultimately kill all snakes that they catch.

I have heard that because of these massive hunts, they are starting to find a larger number of WDB's that either do not have a rattler, or do not rattle. Somewhat of an evolution that the snakes that have mutated to not have a rattler, do not get caught, thus are able to reproduce.

Have you heard anything similar to this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLemonadeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 AM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLemonadeMan View Post
Question from Oklahoma here. We have WDB rattlers where I live. They have several "rattlesnake festivals" in the early spring around the state where they ultimately kill all snakes that they catch.

I have heard that because of these massive hunts, they are starting to find a larger number of WDB's that either do not have a rattler, or do not rattle. Somewhat of an evolution that the snakes that have mutated to not have a rattler, do not get caught, thus are able to reproduce.

Have you heard anything similar to this?
There are Island rattlers off the coast of CA. that have no rattles.

And yes, I'm starting to run into more and more rattlers that won't give you a warning.

Adaptation maybe? Probably.

Copperheads, Timber rattlers, Southern Pacific rattlers, all developing more dangerous venom. Adaption for the same reason, probably.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Survivor

And some of them lose their rattle along the way, like this guy. Very much alive and well but unable to make that loud warning rattle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Survivor

My understanding is that there are several different subspecies of the Mojave and that they have differing venoms. Some are more neurotoxic and some are more hemotoxic.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
My understanding is that there are several different subspecies of the Mojave and that they have differing venoms. Some are more neurotoxic and some are more hemotoxic.
Type A and type B. Type A makes up around 85% of Mojaves, they're the ones with the most toxic venom (Neurotoxin). Type B has both types of venom, found mostly in So.Cal. Type B is STILL more dangerous than any rattler besides the type A.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:30 PM
TEXAS!!!

Quote:
And some of them lose their rattle along the way, like this guy. Very much alive and well but unable to make that loud warning rattle.

Looks like he may suffer from "Rattle-envy".
Old 11-01-2014, 01:23 AM
TEXAS!!!

Just an example of how quickly you can get into trouble with a venomous creature, Miss "V" (Daughter) was playing hide and seek yesterday, she hid under a truck........ She put her arm right on a fire ant nest. Now her left arm looks like it has smallpox! I'm just glad she's not allergic.

I guess the stings aren't bothering her that much (Looks nasty though). She seems more concerned about kids at school, seeing her arm full of "zits".

I sprayed her arm (more like doused it) with Windex after she got home, and today, the blisters seem to be shriveling up.

I heard from someone that Windex, or ammonia, will dry the blisters up. Seems to be working. I'm just glad she didn't lay on a bigger nest, or lay down on it with her body!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:00 PM

I recall get stung by something looking much like this as a child and it really, really hurt.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 PM

I'm sorry, the quote didn't get picked up. I got stung by a velvet ant or something looking very much like it.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,994 Posts

The most dangerous creatures i find in the bush, is man!
I love practicing & teaching Swamp survival. Yes, there are dangerous animals, gators, snakes....but water and food is so easily accessible...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427119906640.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	97138  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carney For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,911 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:

Kill IT! Kill it with fire!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,994 Posts

There debating if Rattlers have adapted to "not rattle" because it actually brings more attention to them