Bug-out-vehicle for heavy snow? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 209 12-25-2016 07:12 PM
Snow plow or snow blower? After years of plowing I am going blower this time. Mountain General Discussion 20 12-23-2016 08:17 PM
Snow Shoes For Deep Snow Travel Video Vectorwoman DIY - Do It Yourself 4 12-23-2016 01:53 PM
Snow gear, snow clothes, snow wear Plugger Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 02-26-2015 12:13 PM
Is vehicle RANGE important to you in your BUG OUT vehicle? bozar Vehicles & Transportation 64 10-28-2013 11:02 PM
Man survives in snow-buried vehicle for 2 months EagleRiverDee Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 03-23-2012 03:31 PM
Inuit Snow Goggles and Fighting Snow Blindness ThoughtfulWolf Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 03-22-2012 03:38 AM

Old 08-05-2014, 12:03 PM
In the woods

Advertise Here

Go with the Taco it's an excellent vehicle. Not my first choice for a BOV because it doesn't have lockers up front, but I have yet to get stuck in the mud. That said I keep a pair of snowshoes in the rig just in case. Deep snow will disable any vehicle with 4 wheels.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:17 PM

Jeep Wrangler 4x4, with a slight investment into off-road capability will go anywhere. My 93 Wrangler has a 4.5 inch lift and off-road tires and I've never had any issues in the snow, mud or anything for that matter..... yet. Here's hoping I don't jinx myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to teotwawki-jeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM

studded snow tires are great. put em on a 4wd and you're golden. ill drive my truck around in 2' of snow, on ice, 30degree incline, etc. no problem
The Following User Says Thank You to riverratt For This Useful Post:

Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,175 Posts

Looks like a crucial issue is your maximum snow depth.
Your vehicle body needs to clear that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,801 Times in 3,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
Looks like a crucial issue is your maximum snow depth.
Your vehicle body needs to clear that.
Only three options:
Pack it down,
Push it out of the way or
Stay on top of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,179 Times in 1,567 Posts

little story,, true,, make what you will of it
few years ago,, we had a helluva snow storm here,, people stranded on the interstate and the local roads.. all of our FD units were out clearing or taping off and lighting up storm downed road blocking trees,, power lines,, trees thru houses,

My engine was called by State Police telling us an elderly woman was in as car teetering back and forth suspended 1/2 over a cliff edge. on the interstate..

we had to go 5 miles to get to the interstate , the last stretch a 1/2 mile steep hill, the kind where you take your foot off the gas before the top and hit 70 mph before you get level.

1/2 way up the hill in the solid bumper to bumper line, going slowly up hill, alongside the same thing going rapidly and nearly out of control down hill ..anyway someone in front of us did something stupid, and we had to stop

there was about 2 foot of snow down on top of an inch of ice... and we could not get moving again,, despite the 8 tons of water in the tanks of the engine, itself very heavy, and diesel power to 4 of the 8 massive rear tires

we two firefighters got out of the cab,, each took a shovel and cut down thru the snow and ice behind the rear wheels,, the driver backed into the bare pavement we had cleared and would get a start again, only to go 10 feet and have another car spin out in front of him,, we would walk up hill, push that car off the road (boy did people get mad) and walk back & repeat the process of digging down to pavement....

getting nowhere fast, when a Silverado Pickup cut between the lanes , pulled in front of us and got out 2 heavy snatch straps,, I thanked him but said,, just go on man,, you are not going to pull that rig up this hill..

he hooked up anyway,, and there it went, a pickup pulling a full size, fully loaded pumper twice his length, twice his height , wide,, 10 big tires on the ground, and many times heavier UP hill in 2 foot of snow over ice,, .. all the way to the top .

I would not have believed it if I had not seen it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,801 Times in 3,828 Posts

Yep, used a Suburban in over a foot of snow to pull a school bus full of kids out of a ditch in Northern Idaho back in the 90's. Shocked me!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,305 Times in 625 Posts

Not a huge chevy fan except the old stuff but i would take full size suv or pickup anytime. A jeep wrangler or xterra is a a good bet to.

Not the soccer mone stuff like the escalades and hondas
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 74,767 Times in 29,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuyversurvivor View Post
little story,, true,, make what you will of it .
Ditto

Last snow here -- I went to "Homey Despot" -- for stuff -- they clear the main parking lot by moving all the snow into one section -- piles of 3' to 5' mounds --

"I have a Jeep -- I can go anywhere"

Made a turn into the lot at about 20 MPH --- came out the other side -- no problem

Went in --- got my stuff came out --- "Do it again"

1/2 way up the same first mound -- "Stop for a hero pic"

1 hour later - Wifey arrived and gave me a yank

Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 4,179 Times in 1,567 Posts

Ricekila ,,

HOoo HOOO ---- funny I never before now thought of you as what my Dear departed Dad would call a "chucklehead"

nonetheless,, I admire a man, who , like myself, is confident enough in himself to laugh at his owns elf .

I have always enjoyed playing the lead role in any comedy of errors..

One thing about New Yorkers, we are better at laughing at ourselves than other people are at laughing at ourselves,, and most other people cannot laugh at their own selves at all...
The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 10:09 PM

Location: in a large Canadian city, with a rural SHTF retreat property in Nova Scotia

I now think the Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel is the best all-round choice for long distance driving with a trailer going up and down hills and across dirt roads. Also, three people can sleep in that vehicle.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Amat victoria curam

Thanked 1,094 Times in 484 Posts

If it's more than our 2500 4x4 ram can handle I get the Unimog out if it's ever enough that it and chains can't get thru I'll keep my happy butt in place and get out a hot toddy.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.

Pulk sled and skis. A dog to help pull sled. When your LRP-CW rations run out you can eat the dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Trapper

https://youtu.be/RmVi_FPlU1c

My vote is a Toyota with big Iroks.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:11 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 11,173 Times in 2,773 Posts

Wife had a Jeep Rubicon, bone stock (but it came with lockers front and rear) it would literally go through any snow, 3-4 feet deep, even without using the lockers.

Those other Jeeps, the little SUVs, they are horrible from what I've heard. All jeeps are not the same. Right now I'm driving a lifted 04 Gran Cherokee I got in a bank repo auction. I'm thinking it will do great once I get those tires I want - Wrangler Duratracs. The tires it has now are too fat. For snow I like narrower tires with big lugs, to cut deep and get traction. I'm not into the "floating on top of the snow" theory, although some seem to like it.

That said, even a 2WD pickup can go almost anywhere if you have weight in the back and put chains on. But then you're limited to 5-10MPH.

Last edited by sarco2000; 12-03-2016 at 05:56 PM..
Old 12-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,409 Times in 1,704 Posts

The Eskimos have like a hundred different words for snow for a reason. Generally, there is a big difference between driving on ICE vs SNOW. There are conditions where 1" of wet dense snow that has frozen into ice that can stop most vehicles without the assistance of heavy duty traction chains. There are also snow conditions where you can air down into the low single digits and float on top without even dragging the diffs. Also, there are the other 98 kinds of snow in-between mixed in with all the different 'road' conditions like grade and off camber conditions.....

Become familiar with the conditions in your area.

Personally. I feel the best all around performance comes from the large radial tire about 40-42" in diameter with a fairly open tread pattern aired down into the 1-3 psi range on a vehicle that has a front weight bias with as low as practical overall weight. Very deep overall gearing can let you do some amazing thing along with lots of patience and fuel capacity. Don't forget all the 'normal' off road stuff like locking differentials, on-board air, axles strong enough to support the power and tire size, good belly clearance, low stance for stability, etc, etc.

I'd love to play around with studs in large diameter tires at low pressures, but typically they do not have the required molded holes. Chains generally don't work well on aired down tires in my experience. Chains are also generally harder on the drivetrain vs airing down.

Short version. Chains are for ice, airing down for deep snow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,090 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by show-n-go View Post
Subaru forester or outback. Both have good ground clearance and the best awd system on the market hands down. There's a reason it is the number one vehicle in Colorado and New England. Don't trust me, google the videos of it
They are both trendy 4x4s for old hippies, yuppies, environmentalists and liberals......all of which you will find in large numbers......where.....Colorado and New England. SUVs are Sport Utility Vehicles right? Get a work vehicle.....get a 4x4 truck of your favorite make and it will go in very deep snow with chains.

I live in the Lake Erie snow belt......not unusual for 140 inches in a winter. I concur on the snowmobile.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 11,173 Times in 2,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdNiM View Post
They are both trendy 4x4s for old hippies, yuppies, environmentalists and liberals......all of which you will find in large numbers......where.....Colorado and New England. SUVs are Sport Utility Vehicles right? Get a work vehicle.....get a 4x4 truck of your favorite make and it will go in very deep snow with chains.

I live in the Lake Erie snow belt......not unusual for 140 inches in a winter. I concur on the snowmobile.
I grew up where you live now, so I know what you're talking about. Believe it or not, living in Montana I don't get as much snow as I did when I lived in the Snow Belt.

I'd have no problem owning a Subaru, either here in MT or back in OH. My son has an old 86 Subaru wagon. It's great in the snow. Basically, Subarus rock. I don't know why liberals love them so much, but I guess they are right about some things. Plus, you can fit just about anything in a Subaru if you fold the seat down, LOL.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,041 Times in 1,355 Posts

Had an old wrangler living in NH with big 32" tires and nearly a foot wide...my daily driver now is a newer wrangler with 31" tires that are much more narrow.

I prefer the narrower tire, floating on top of the snow is much more harrowing than I'd like.

Between wranglers I drove a corolla through a few winters....if I planned my route carefully, I could drive it in about six or seven inches of snow....again, not because I wanted to, but because I had to.

Capability is a balance between machine, tires and most importantly the driver.

During the first major snow, before there's any amount of salt on the road, I see a lot of four wheel drives in the ditch, too many people overestimate their capability just because it says 4x4 on the side
The Following User Says Thank You to sojurn87 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 11:15 PM
Prepared

Thanked 2,933 Times in 214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
The Eskimos have like a hundred different words for snow for a reason. Generally, there is a big difference between driving on ICE vs SNOW. There are conditions where 1" of wet dense snow that has frozen into ice that can stop most vehicles without the assistance of heavy duty traction chains. There are also snow conditions where you can air down into the low single digits and float on top without even dragging the diffs. Also, there are the other 98 kinds of snow in-between mixed in with all the different 'road' conditions like grade and off camber conditions.....

Become familiar with the conditions in your area.

Personally. I feel the best all around performance comes from the large radial tire about 40-42" in diameter with a fairly open tread pattern aired down into the 1-3 psi range on a vehicle that has a front weight bias with as low as practical overall weight. Very deep overall gearing can let you do some amazing thing along with lots of patience and fuel capacity. Don't forget all the 'normal' off road stuff like locking differentials, on-board air, axles strong enough to support the power and tire size, good belly clearance, low stance for stability, etc, etc.

I'd love to play around with studs in large diameter tires at low pressures, but typically they do not have the required molded holes. Chains generally don't work well on aired down tires in my experience. Chains are also generally harder on the drivetrain vs airing down.

Short version. Chains are for ice, airing down for deep snow.
Having spent 30 years in Maine, been through a few Nor'Easters. Made it through a few ice storms as well. As my Dad told me, being able to go isn't as important as being able to stop. Hard packed snow can be slick. Slush is just plain nasty to drive in as hydroplaning and drag come into play. Even powdery snow when deep enough can build up underneath and actually lift the vehicle causing loss of traction.

Side tracking slightly; the really scary stuff is black ice; as you think the road is just wet until you turn the steering wheel and nothing happens. Upon hitting the brakes with nothing happening again, your sphincter tightens up and then the rest of your major muscles tense up as well as your nervous system goes into overdrive (pun intended).
The Following User Says Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post: