Bug-out-vehicle for heavy snow? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 209 12-25-2016 07:12 PM
Snow plow or snow blower? After years of plowing I am going blower this time. Mountain General Discussion 20 12-23-2016 08:17 PM
Snow Shoes For Deep Snow Travel Video Vectorwoman DIY - Do It Yourself 4 12-23-2016 01:53 PM
Snow gear, snow clothes, snow wear Plugger Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 02-26-2015 12:13 PM
Is vehicle RANGE important to you in your BUG OUT vehicle? bozar Vehicles & Transportation 64 10-28-2013 11:02 PM
Man survives in snow-buried vehicle for 2 months EagleRiverDee Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 03-23-2012 03:31 PM
Inuit Snow Goggles and Fighting Snow Blindness ThoughtfulWolf Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 9 03-22-2012 03:38 AM

Old 08-02-2014, 07:11 PM

Location: in a large Canadian city, with a rural SHTF retreat property in Nova Scotia
Default Bug-out-vehicle for heavy snow?

Advertise Here

What is generally recommended as a BOV if your BOL is in an area of heavy snow, where roads sure won't get plowed in SHTF? Off-road isn't important to me, but dealing with snow is, as is meaningful payload to bring along lots of extra gas. Which precludes, say the Honda CRV.

How about the Jeep Compass 4x4? Based on the JEEP site and related info, the ground clearance is 8.1" and the 2.4L "Sport" 4x4 version has 1350 lb payload.

Thanks for all answers!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Did someone say Rogaine?

Thanked 1,805 Times in 533 Posts

If you know you have that much snow, it may be worth investing in a snowmobile. What is your definition of "heavy snow"?

Even 4x4 vehicles in 12"+ of snow can have trouble making it down the road if it's completely covered and not plowed. A snowmobile is at least small and agile enough, it could make it through city streets and stranded vehicles that undoubtedly would be littering most highways. And you can hook sleds up behind them to carry additional people or supplies.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt Hair For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 PM

Location: in a large Canadian city, with a rural SHTF retreat property in Nova Scotia

I should have said the car should give me a good chance to get from home to my BOL, which is a considerable distance. Heavy snow would be anything above 20cm on the ground.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:45 PM

A 4x4 Jeep or Truck with Tracks may be a good solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-cs7B6Aj9Y
Old 08-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Prepared

Last winter had around 20 inches of snow and drove wifes Dodge Durango 2001 with Firestone Destination LE2 tires(street). No problem at all an it scraped/dragged on the road at the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to tooltime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 74,767 Times in 29,542 Posts

Compass

Its a crossover -- just because it has 4W drive ---- a forester is 4W drive -- wanna put your family in that --- a Dodge Durango for instance -- is real --

It also comes down to actually knowing how to drive in heavy snow and what your vehicle can and can not do -- I've seen metro-sexual's in their brand new 2013 "whatevers" - w/ 4 wheel drive who cant even get 100 yards down their own street -- being pasted by grannies in their 1984 Dodge Aries with just front wheel drive --
Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,185 Times in 362 Posts

I've rented a compass for a while with that little popcorn popper under the hood.

I didn't even like driving it on damp Tennessee roads, I can't imagine taking it in the snow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lbox88 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 AM

If the roads are not getting plowed and there's 6 inches or more of snow, a snowmobile is going to be your best bet.

Understand that the roads will be clogged with everyone that attempts to drive but gets stuck. You could have the biggest, baddest 4X4 truck but it won't mean squat if the road is littered with stuck drivers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pook the prepper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Washington was right....

Thanked 13,142 Times in 4,286 Posts

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 AM

Subaru forester or outback. Both have good ground clearance and the best awd system on the market hands down. There's a reason it is the number one vehicle in Colorado and New England. Don't trust me, google the videos of it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to show-n-go For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Last Frontiersman

Thanked 3,350 Times in 1,059 Posts

I drive a pickup truck and it has no problem even on dirt roads with a foot-2 feet of snow on the ground. And it has no lift kit, no big tires, nothing.

That said, I would be hesitant to try any off roading in the snow with it at those depths. A snowmachine is definitely your best choice, or possibly a four wheeler with a track conversion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backwoods Alaskan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,305 Times in 625 Posts

A conpass isnt gonna do it if it has electronic 4wd or traction control. There was a guy on her saying he couldnt get up a hill with one with like 6" or so. 8" of ground clearance mike work in low spots but you will be high centered with 12" uncompacted snow in a very short time. If your are going to be in that kinda climate better ti have real four wheel drive. With some ground clearence. J momy opinion search chicago thinder snow and look. At lake shore drive: you will see what happens with traffic and deep snow.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,305 Times in 625 Posts
Default Bug-out-vehicle for heavy snow?

http://youtu.be/lLl6avm9oMsdont think a forester or compass will tackle that. Hell not even sure my pro 4x xterra would get through that.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Semper Vigilans

Thanked 11,801 Times in 3,828 Posts

Where we live we often see 2-3 feet of snow.

In deep snow ground clearance and traction are key.
If you sit too low you'll get stuck because you will get high centered or bogged down trying to push too much snow.

All our vehicles are lifted about 4" and have siped mud/snow tires that we also air down to about 6-10psi to get the grip we need. Anything under 3' we can usually crawl through without any problems.

If it's your GHV then I would also ensure you have a good set of chains for all 4 wheels in case the 4x4 and ground clearance aren't enough.

Be Prepared,
OBW
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OldBlackWater For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,581 Times in 2,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlackWater View Post
Where we live we often see 2-3 feet of snow.

In deep snow ground clearance and traction are key.
If you sit too low you'll get stuck because you will get high centered or bogged down trying to push too much snow.

All our vehicles are lifted about 4" and have siped mud/snow tires that we also air down to about 6-10psi to get the grip we need. Anything under 3' we can usually crawl through without any problems.

If it's your GHV then I would also ensure you have a good set of chains for all 4 wheels in case the 4x4 and ground clearance aren't enough.

Be Prepared,
OBW
You got it right... other than snowmobile. Warm and cozy in the heated cab of a 4x4 truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 AM
2nd Amendment supporter

Last winter, we had 6-8 inches of constant snow in the country with higher drifts everywhere. County was in a state of emergency a few times with travel restrictions. I have a 99 Super Duty (gas) with no lift and factory-size Michelin AT tires (and weight in the bed). I just locked it in 4x4, drove slow with caution and purpose and went everywhere I needed to go.

No matter what vehicle you have, carry communications (phone and/or CB) just in case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joey-T For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 PM

After more research I am leaning towards the Toyota Tacoma 4x4. Has 240 mm clearance, a payload of about 550kg and highway fuel efficiency of better than 9l/100km. This video of deep snow performance looks convincing, the vehicle moves reasonably well at half a metre of snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eex-QUTW0Q
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canadabis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Have you ever considered buying a small plow for your pickup or jeep? I have one on my diesel pickup and can anywhere I need to. The plow adds weight to the front and I usually have a 100 gal transfer tank in the back with fuel. At times I have to carve away at drifts which takes a bit. If the snow gets really bad I have a 4 wheel drive tractor with a v-plow.
But I see people with toyotas and jeeps all the time with those little 6 ft plows attached to them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michande For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadabis View Post
After more research I am leaning towards the Toyota Tacoma 4x4. Has 240 mm clearance, a payload of about 550kg and highway fuel efficiency of better than 9l/100km. This video of deep snow performance looks convincing, the vehicle moves reasonably well at half a metre of snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eex-QUTW0Q

that should do nicely, not sure about that year but some came with e-lockers in the rear end, if you want to turn your off road capability up to 11 throw another locker in the front, follow old blackwater's advice and go anywhere you will ever want to go..

also if you notice the video dual winches isn't a bad idea either, one on the front and one on the back with nice bumpers will allow you get out if you get stuck and be able to remove trees, broken down cars and whatever else that may be blocking the path...

i personally think you're on the right track here...
The Following User Says Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,094 Times in 5,964 Posts

There are many different types of snow, and vehicle requirements vary as to conditions. But to simplify matters, there are two main types of dealing with snow, extra PSI on the ground for better bite on packed snow, as most road driving usually is. The caveat is that by digging down for extra traction, you will eventually exceed ground clearance and get high-centered.

The other option is less weight per square inch on the ground (floatation) which is achieved by using wider tires and lower air pressure, not the best option on icy or packed snow, but it will work. With both, limited slip or locking differentials help immensely.

Around here, for street driving, our Jeep ZJ does just great in up to a foot and a half or so, but if the roads don't get plowed for days, we have the Power Wagon with 38X15.5's gets called into play. I have had it on 12+ feet of snow in the high Sierras, running about 5 PSI in the tires. I haven't had a chance to try out my tracker yet with the new Winterforce tires, but it should work well for what I need it for.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post: