Bug Out Trailer - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug Out Trailer(BOT) spacelarry Vehicles & Transportation 11 11-15-2015 11:39 PM
Bug out trailer iVuo Vehicles & Transportation 41 10-30-2015 01:21 PM
Anyone need a trailer ? Ricekila Vehicles & Transportation 23 11-03-2014 08:10 AM
The new Mad Max trailer METALHEAD1 Books, Movies & Stories 21 07-30-2014 07:59 PM
Car Trailer Kalifornia Guy General Discussion 8 07-19-2014 10:00 AM
Bug out trailer/ off-road trailer Rob86 Polls and Surveys 5 01-05-2014 06:54 AM
Trailer for trailer trade WWYD? Plagued707 Vehicles & Transportation 7 04-29-2013 06:22 PM
Trailer VS Bed Cap radshooter Vehicles & Transportation 9 11-12-2012 10:30 PM
used Bugout Trailer Company cargo trailer powertrip For Sale 9 07-12-2012 09:49 AM
New BOV and BO Trailer kx250kev Vehicles & Transportation 5 07-25-2011 02:37 PM

Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Your worst nightmare.....

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,780 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Ah HA! I knew I was missing something! These are what I was looking for.
Now that is a sweet little rig. And thanks for the info on the Honeywell generator. I've wondered about those.
PS, is that a Corian counter top?
The Honeywell generators had terrible reviews. But mine has been great. I think people fail to follow instructions...plainly says ...fill up tank prior to every start. It's a gravity feed system. I do it...and mine starts in 3 pulls or less.

Not sure about the counter top. Got it on clearance at Lowes. That and the cabinets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle71 View Post
Im curious as to which is a wiser choice, building a small trailer "RV" or is it better to simply have something packed to the gills with supplies?
The way I would look at it is in pre-SHTF you have a nice little camping trailer that can be used like any camper in normal situations. If SHTF, you can still pack it pretty full with supplies and use it as a load carrying trailer until you get to your BOL. You give up a little space, but probably not enough to mean the difference between life or death compared to other factors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fenrell For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrell View Post
The way I would look at it is in pre-SHTF you have a nice little camping trailer that can be used like any camper in normal situations. If SHTF, you can still pack it pretty full with supplies and use it as a load carrying trailer until you get to your BOL. You give up a little space, but probably not enough to mean the difference between life or death compared to other factors.
Agree
And you can customize the way you like it.
Mine is better insulated than commercial travel trailers. And all repairs can be done by making a trip to Lowes...instead of the RV service center.

I will be taking mine out this summer while I am in the US....gonna do some trout fishing in the mountains
I keep it stocked and ready to go. Clothes..supplies...etc. hook up and drive off.
My batteries will charge while going down the road.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Retired, Uncommon Drunk

Thanked 4,482 Times in 1,157 Posts

EXCELLENT stealth build, Goodwrench708! I'm gonna be doing this EXACT build later this year myself!

I've always been one that strives for "dual-purpose" preps, and THIS trailer is the QUINTESSENTIAL dual-purpose prep! Great for hunting/camping, keep it well-stocked and ready, and in a crisis, can bug-out at a moment's notice, without the chaos of trying to pack in 5 minutes, and forgetting something essential!

DocZeus
AKA
The Envious One....For Now.
The Following User Says Thank You to doczeus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doczeus View Post
EXCELLENT stealth build, Goodwrench708! I'm gonna be doing this EXACT build later this year myself!

I've always been one that strives for "dual-purpose" preps, and THIS trailer is the QUINTESSENTIAL dual-purpose prep! Great for hunting/camping, keep it well-stocked and ready, and in a crisis, can bug-out at a moment's notice, without the chaos of trying to pack in 5 minutes, and forgetting something essential!

DocZeus
AKA
The Envious One....For Now.
You ll love it. And the best thing is you can build it anyway you like.
My best advice is

Insulate it good. I used Dow 1/2 inch insulation board..fits between the ribs and then just install the panels

While you have it gutted...rewire all exterior lighting with good wiring ( factory wiring sucks). Install ground wires to each exterior light instead of grounding on lamp mount. Once you wire it good...install insulation and wall panels. You will never have to worry about exterior light wiring again

Install a 10g feed from your trailer connector on a 30/40 amp circuit to your trailer to charge your trailer batteries from your tow vehicle

Install a 10g feed for ground on the trailer connector to feed all grounds on trailer.

Re seal roof with mobile home roof patch sealant

Most of all....have fun.
Message me with any questions you have.

Kevin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
You ll love it. And the best thing is you can build it anyway you like.
My best advice is

Insulate it good. I used Dow 1/2 inch insulation board..fits between the ribs and then just install the panels

While you have it gutted...rewire all exterior lighting with good wiring ( factory wiring sucks). Install ground wires to each exterior light instead of grounding on lamp mount. Once you wire it good...install insulation and wall panels. You will never have to worry about exterior light wiring again

Install a 10g feed from your trailer connector on a 30/40 amp circuit to your trailer to charge your trailer batteries from your tow vehicle

Install a 10g feed for ground on the trailer connector to feed all grounds on trailer.

Re seal roof with mobile home roof patch sealant

Most of all....have fun.
Message me with any questions you have.

Kevin
All good info thanks. I have a little 10 ft trailer that I plan on eventually doing the same thing with. I had planned on insulating, but hadn't thought about the wiring. I will take your advice when I get to it.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,113 Times in 510 Posts

The interior paneling in my trailer is held by big staples. Were the interior panels had to pry off? And did they get damaged? I'd like to insulate it but am concerned about that.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
The interior paneling in my trailer is held by big staples. Were the interior panels had to pry off? And did they get damaged? I'd like to insulate it but am concerned about that.
what is the staple attaching to?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Washington was right....

Thanked 13,132 Times in 4,284 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Hiker

you have a good idea

though you do require a 15 amp mains fuse box with rated inlet..

as it is configured at present it would considered against your electrical safety code
Old 12-11-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
you have a good idea

though you do require a 15 amp mains fuse box with rated inlet..

as it is configured at present it would considered against your electrical safety code
what are you referring to ?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Hiker

breaker box inside the living space with the correct inlet plug, what should be in use is a 15 amp inlet plug and 15 amp rated connection cable, similar to what you find on caravans/camper trailers..

using a power board with a trip switch isn't a solution to be used as a mains breaker for internal power to anything you convert into a living space, you will likely be in violation local, state and federal electrical safety laws doing do...
Old 12-11-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
breaker box inside the living space with the correct inlet plug, what should be in use is a 15 amp inlet plug and 15 amp rated connection cable, similar to what you find on caravans/camper trailers..

using a power board with a trip switch isn't a solution to be used as a mains breaker for internal power to anything you convert into a living space, you will likely be in violation local, state and federal electrical safety laws doing do...
Works for me....up to my code.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:25 AM
styer sniper

I like it I built something like it before.i eventually traded it off. It was a little small for our family of four. I did buy a five horse horse trailer with living quarters a while back. I had to gut the living quarters to suit my needs, but it got me to thinking how nice a bot it would have made. It had a king bed kitchenette and a couch with a faldaway bed. If I find another cheap on I'm gonna grab it up wouldnt mind one slightly smaller.