Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
truck gun christopher126 Canada 53 11-25-2016 03:10 PM
Glock 43 - Perfection in a new, smaller size zengunfighter Pistol and Revolver Forum 35 05-27-2015 11:26 PM
Pickup truck / RV / truck camper idea - need help Proyas Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 38 01-26-2015 05:05 PM
Full timing in an RV 1st step taken! TRUCK PIC ADDED usmc0341 General Discussion 18 08-30-2013 09:17 AM
Started painting my truck $450 truck germantrader10 Vehicles & Transportation 61 07-20-2012 08:03 AM
What MPG are you getting out of your truck/ suv? Domindart Vehicles & Transportation 77 08-31-2011 09:09 AM
Stolen Truck Full of Coffee Creamer - Illinois Newsfeed General Discussion 9 10-15-2008 04:25 PM

Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 AM

Default Which is better a full size truck/suv or a smaller truck

Advertise Here

i was wondering what would be a better choice for for BOV. A full truck/suv like a f-250 with a diesel- full sive blazer or bronco. Or something like a old cj7 or smaller pickup that gets good gas milage like a toyota tacomma 4 cly.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

I've had a few small pickups (2 Nissan, 1 Toyota) and a full-sized Ram. Of those I think the small pickups were every bit as capable off-road as the Ram and got almost 2x the gas mileage. I used to follow bulldozers in TX as a geologist. We even pulled stumps one time with one of the Nissan's.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,177 Posts

If you aren't planning to drive a lot, a full-size 4X4 SUV could be your best bargain.
When fuel prices go up, SUV prices go down.
Get one that you can find plenty of used parts for, and possibly get a parts vehicle.
Also get one that a shade tree mechanic can work on.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,344 Times in 6,979 Posts

that is your smaller vehicle?

Look the toyota land cruiser is pretty much bullet proof. I am sure the tacoma is comparable.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,344 Times in 6,979 Posts

by the way some camper options.
http://www.outbackcrossing.com.au/To..._Touring.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR6GbD_ypyE
Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,736 Times in 977 Posts

If you scrape branches on both sides of the smaller truck at the same time on some of your trails, don't buy a bigger one.

IMO, a BOV needs to be big enough to carry all your gear, but no larger.
And if you're needing a larger rig, consider either pulling a trailer or caching some of your gear at the BOL.

I'm sticking with my Ford Ranger or the wife's Honda Pilot.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,739 Posts

Depends on what you will haul.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Apprentice Geezer

Thanked 1,926 Times in 1,149 Posts

I tend to view BOVs as being used for immediate (no time to pack) travel; as such pretty much any vehicle will do, in nice weather and perfect conditions.
Since the chances of needing to actually bug out are slim, in my estimation, I would say get what you like to drive and will actually use (that will easily fit in a standard parking space).
If like some you think that you will have time, and intend to load a moving van; get one of those.

My vehicles in order of preference ; well setup, for off road use, Jeep CJ-7 (used to be daily driver now weekend toy), Jeep Cherokee XJ (your basic street SUV, not quite helpless on moderate trails/bad conditions), Ford ranger 2wd pickup (gets used so little the gas is in danger of going bad).

Enjoy!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,138 Posts

20 years ago when you could get a small 4x4 truck with a manual transmission then small trucks had the advantage. My little s10 got almost 30mpg with nearly 200k on the odometer. Problem is you can't buy small trucks like that anymore, no matter who makes them.
Now a days small trucks have to have AC and air bags and all the fancy stuff like a full size truck and all that extra stuff just adds weight, your lucky to get 25mpg from a small truck and the equivalent full size trucks are getting 23 mpg. Your only advantage is a few inches narrower.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
•--• • •- -•-• •

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,179 Posts

When I think of "Bug Out Vehicle", I don't think long term driver. That said, I wouldn't want anything smaller than an F-150 size. In my mind, it's to bug out with so I want it to carry as much of my preps as possible. My F-150 SC 4X4 with 6' bed can haul a heck of a lot of my stuff to wherever I want to go. Gas mileage sucks though so hauling fuel is necessary. What would be great would be a big truck to get to where you're going and a 4 banger 4X4 Datsun or some other small rice burner waiting for ya when you get there LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to webfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Trapper

i have to have a full size to pull the horse trailer. if that goes south, i have back up transportation as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 10,137 Times in 2,848 Posts

First thing... go big, or go home.

OK, really... Depends. How far you going? What kind of load will you be taking? What's the terrain like? (I say terrain... can't depend on roads being not blocked)

Here is my way of thinking. Your situation may differ...

Our plan is to bug in, make it through, and help rebuild. We've no BOL to go to other than family and friends homes. VERY few of them have even started prepping. Only a couple really live anywhere we would want to go anyway. We live in a small rural town with good people, farms, and are safe from most natural disasters except fire or tornado. That means if we left, we would have to be self sufficient, at least for a period of time. (longer than a day or so of travel)

I have a Family of 4, plus 3 dogs, plus gear, food, ammo, other supplies... We would need a lot of payload capability, and I can't stand not having off road capability. Just happens my daily driver is a big 4x4 diesel truck. (see above) It can carry all of us plus a substantial load through just about any terrain it will fit. Guess what we will use. If it is an emergency, tree branch pin striping will not be a concern. Hell, I go off roading with it anyway, as a hobby. Big fun.

IMHO, go big.

If I could afford a stocked BOL, a small fuel sipping Jeep or side-by-side would be there as one of the preps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,269 Times in 1,916 Posts

i'm driving a 1983 Ford Ranger, v6, 5 spd, 4wd. i have modified it a fair amount. 2" body lift, 16" wheels/tires, upgraded the ignition system negating the smog equipment, rear locker, suspension, etc.
most importantly, i added 27 gal of gas. i found an aluminum gas tank from a boat that fit exactly in the front of the bed. plumbed it into the main fuel line with a manual valve to switch from stock to aux tank. gives me about 43 gal of gas now with a decent range of about 700 miles loaded and pulling a 4x8 trailer.
i would not hesitate to find and drive an older small pickup. Mazda, Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Chevy, etc. 4 cyl or v6 with a manual tranny is a great combination, imho. whatever won't fit into the bed you can trailer. i've hauled 4x8 sheets of plywood and other big, bulky items using the trailer. it is so much easier to load and unload it really. the only thing i wish my little pu had is the extended cab. everything else about it is great.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,406 Times in 857 Posts

I had a small ranger 2wd v6 that was great for light hauling and commuting but had the worst traction ever. A little wet grass would stop me going up a minor hill. With good tires even. I couldn't believe I could use it in a carpool, extended cab with 4 men. The rear jump seats were really ment for kids. Small kids. And unless you got a towing package forget it. The radiator was actually stamped no towing. And they weren't kidding. Despite the bumper hitch. I once towed my brothers small type accord a little over a mile and the temperature almost went into the red. Very reliable, only problem was exhaust rusted out and replaced maybe three times.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 PM

12 or 24 valve 2nd gen or 3rd gen dodge CUMMINS. Period. Multiple fuel sources, more then enough power/ torque to load, haul, push pull anything your heart desires. Like all those vehicles blocking the route to your BOL, just push through em. Think about every household that burns heating oil. Thats the exact same thing as diesel fuel at the pump. So thats many hundreds of gallons of readily available fuel when theres no one left to occupy those houses. And I can get easy 20mpg with my 8000lb truck that can tow around 26,000lbs and haul close to 6000lbs in the bed. Just my opinion though.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 PM

I'd say it depends on your priority. Easy travel through smaller roads or being able to haul a boatload of junk around. I've already decided that if I have to bug out, Its going to somewhere fairly remote which involves avoiding as many paved roads as possible which will take me through a lot of roads that are very very narrow and difficult to turn around in, in case you come across something that makes the road impassible. Jeeps usually have no issue at all. Smaller trucks and short bed regular cab trucks a little more difficult but not impossible. Once you get beyond that into the larger quad cab trucks I feel this would be an issue.

It all depends on your priority. If my priority was, at the first sign of trouble, relocating my family to the Rockies from the Appalachians, I'd probably set up something more along the lines of a large diesel truck and tow a camper full of what I needed to go with me along for the ride but it isn't my priority.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 PM

Oh forgot to mention I would be towing one or both of my jeeps for just that situation.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:34 PM

trump3006 has got it right, my truck of choice for any type of long term SHTF is a '95-'98 mechanical injection 12v Dodge diesel(some '98 models are the 24v, they changed mid year I think). Diesel is especially good if you are towing anything, the MPG is consistent regardless of the load, and fuel is in abundant supply if you are willing to do a little research on what you can use (biodiesel, oils, etc..). Maintenance is comparatively easy and simple, with a huge amount of aftermarket parts available for performance and durability upgrades, 300k+ miles is not a big deal when these trucks are taken care of. Plus, they are just cool trucks. Regardless, most any Toyota truck is good, you'll certainly get your money's worth.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,462 Times in 470 Posts

We have a Ford expedition XL with a trailer hitch.
We plan to bug in but just in case we had to leave for some reason we would fill the van with the absolute necessaries and as much as we can in the trailer. It only gets 18 MPG but we would carry a lot of extra treated gas.
We would sleep in the van and put all of the other stuff in tents when we got there.
I cannot stand the idea of sleeping in a tent (even though we used to camp a lot when we were young) snakes, fire aunts, wild animals scare me now as well as severe thunder storms. I bought a very large screen and battery fans from Sportsman's Guide to leave the windows partially open during hot weather and several 100 hour candles to keep from freezing during the cold.
Battery operated motion sensors, yard solar lights, solar motion detector lights, and rope with pebbles in cans will go along the outer perimeter.
Even thought about rigging a couple of shot guns up to a trip wire but then again we would probably forget them and blow our old, fool selves up!!!!!!

PS: If you use the battery operated motion sensors you have to put them in zip lock bags to keep the wind from setting them off.
We live on a farm and use the battery/electric motion sensors around the house at present (from the number of beeps we know the direction). If it goes off I get up and turn on all of the outside lights, that way if it is a person, they know, we know, they are in our yard.
Then we turn off the lights and use the night vision, I know we have scarred off at least 2 so far but most of the time it is only deer or dogs!! (Many homes and out buildings in our area, have been broken into lately).

Have a blessed day
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyNurse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,665 Times in 6,170 Posts

It all depends on the circumstances, that is one reason we have more than one BOV. The '74 Power Wagon for maximum cargo capacity, in case of mandatory evacuation, '95 Jeep ZJ for a less severe bug out, and my '92 Geo Tracker min-BOV for tight quarters bug out route. Or any combination as we see fit in any given circumstance. I'm working on getting the Tracker well equipped for a quick bug out. I might even go as far as keeping the camping cook box in it. Went to buy another 81mm mortar box for it yesterday and they were out.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post: