Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vehicle breakdown survival kit CaminoDelViento Vehicles & Transportation 25 06-07-2014 10:23 PM
vehicle emergency kit? lilred06 Vehicles & Transportation 14 03-05-2013 06:04 PM
The best way to store your vehicle emergency kit? AmmoRx Vehicles & Transportation 24 09-07-2012 09:22 PM
Vehicle Emergency Kits gwynn1975 Urban Survival 1 02-05-2012 04:02 PM
Emergency food in vehicle TrafficGuy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 05-10-2011 09:29 PM
Having your vehicle prepared for any emergency! SurvivalCacheScott Vehicles & Transportation 3 01-27-2011 09:07 PM
Winter Vehicle Emergency Kit Philusion Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 12-21-2010 05:40 PM
My New Emergency Back Up Vehicle Yehudi Vehicles & Transportation 10 09-18-2010 06:22 PM
Please Evaluate my vehicle emergency survival kit SPY-1 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 05-31-2009 08:54 PM
Emergency Breakdown Kit azcfi Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 03-12-2009 02:20 PM

Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Advertise Here

60" Hi-Lift Jack (also serves as wrench)

I have a Hi-lift jack the travels in my Landrover. How would you use it as a wrench ??? Not being funny, just curious as i've seen it used for many jobs but stuck as to how you could use it as a wrench.

Thanks in advance.

atb
Mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamNinja For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNinja View Post

I have a Hi-lift jack the travels in my Landrover. How would you use it as a wrench ??? Not being funny, just curious as i've seen it used for many jobs but stuck as to how you could use it as a wrench.

Thanks in advance.

atb
Mark.
Pretty sure he meant winch.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Right Handed

I live on an island. You should be able to get anywhere friendly in a day or two if need be. But just incase of being stuck or incapacitated i always carry on my truck the following behing the seats and in a large rubbermade box...

Rope.
Cell phone and charger.
Battery Jump pack (charged!) w/ built in air compressor.
Jumper cables.
Tool kit from costco with the most common tools plus my add ons.
First aid kit and hand wipes.
MRE'S/canned goods/water. (add more if im going off road!)
Rain coat, jackets, blanket and wool cap.
Foldable shovel.
Headlamp, flashlight, scanner, and radio with extra batteries. Light sticks.
Tarp.
Extra change of clothes.
Plus extras i.e. matches, multi tool, whistle/mirror/compass etc.
Good knife.
Fix a flat.

Add more as i see fit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii Guy For This Useful Post:

Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNinja View Post

Thanks in advance.

atb
Mark.
Yep, meant to say Winch....put I've used the handle many times as a cheater bar on a wrench or ratchet.

Base can be used as a BFH as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinR For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM

multi fuel camp stove
hatchet
camp saw
first aid kit
4 season sleeping bag
tarp
para cord
cat litter (the clay kind) our area is prone to standing water if the tires get stuck you poor the cat litter around the tire and it soaks up most of the water and gives great traction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcangle90 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Alot of stuff in this thread I never thought of putting in a breakdown kit. Thanks for the info
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM

I have a box of survival items in my car. The only problem is that I hate leaving it in the car. I own a Subaru Outback wagon and people can see what's in the trunk. It's a pain but I have to take it in the house whenever the car is parked. I don't have a garage. This is what I have to deal with living in NYC. Eventhough I live in a fairly safe neighborhood, once in a while I see cars broken into. So I have to play it safe.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Asian Newbie

Apart from some of the already listed items, I carry lots of water, 2 x 5L aluminium canister of vehicle fuel, a steel rope strong enough to tow/recover the vehicle.

Planning to carry a foldable mountain bike in the BOV too (currently the price of the MTB is beyond my budget).

For your kind consideration.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Trapper

What is everyone's thoughts on a container to keep the breakdown kit together?

I use a 50 cal. ammo box. I can sit on it, stand on it, scoup water with it (when empty), melt snow in it with the popcan stove I carry, cook in it if I really needed too. Now that I'm thinking more about this, I think I will put some reflective tape on the sides so I can carry it a little ways back from the car at night for safety.

For Christmas, I am planning on putting a kit together for my girlfriend. I'm trying to decide on using an ammo box or something soft-sided, like one of the Craftsman tool bags you can buy at Sears for $15. I'm pretty sure she won't be so keen on an ammo can bouncing around in her trunk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,000 Times in 1,093 Posts

In addition to the collapsible shovel, I recommend an entrenching tool in case you need to break through ice or encrusted snow.

I just added a Wonder bar as suggested in another thread. Also a hack saw.

Also:
polypropylene long johns,
balacava
gloves
insulated boots
wool socks
inner liner to outer wind/water proof shell (if not worn)

I carry a jug of sand but haven't needed it since I went to 4WD.

I used to carry a full (run flat) spare tire but now I don't as I now have more confidence in my run flats and if I carried a spare there would be no room for stuff that's more important. It's hard to believe someone would design a car without a spare tire well

Last edited by TANSTAF1; 11-17-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on a container to keep the breakdown kit together?

I use a 50 cal. ammo box. I can sit on it, stand on it, scoup water with it (when empty), melt snow in it with the popcan stove I carry, cook in it if I really needed too. Now that I'm thinking more about this, I think I will put some reflective tape on the sides so I can carry it a little ways back from the car at night for safety.

For Christmas, I am planning on putting a kit together for my girlfriend. I'm trying to decide on using an ammo box or something soft-sided, like one of the Craftsman tool bags you can buy at Sears for $15. I'm pretty sure she won't be so keen on an ammo can bouncing around in her trunk.
Try putting a couple strips of Velcro on the bottom of the can. I bet her trunk has carpeting and the velcro will stop the can from sliding / bumping around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wygoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard View Post
Wow, I can tell I'm really going to like this site, so many great ideas, I think I will definitely add a tent to my emergency supplies in my car, I bought a 3day preparedness kit off a website but to be truthful, I found it lacking.

Looking forward to reading more on this thread and putting together a truly comprehensive car survival kit.
Sounds like me and you are pretty much exactly on the same page .

For my car, I have a basic roadside emergency kit I bought online, a black ALICE pack, some clothes, and a little 72 hour online kit in it, but I find it lacking as well. Just joined this site a few days ago and my favorite thing to do now is read through the ridiculously awesome amount of articles here.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Hiker

A good maint man. for the veh. and a fire exh. is a good start . If you change you belts and hoses . Keep the orig. as a emer. spare. A small piece of pipe (same as incide dia. as heater hose) and 2 hoses clamps . Can be used to patch a heated hose. And a tow rope .
Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Pretty good kit as far as I can tell but seems that all that stuff is a bit much if you have to abandon the rig,still though,seems like a pretty good kit.
I'm not that fortunate to be so prepared unless my job takes me out of town for long streches and I have my camper with me.
I've always got mylar blankets,first-aid kit,bear stopper mace,a 950K volt stun gun and a water filtering cup plus a good three days supply of non-perishable food in my Honda not to mention tools to fix the Honda,it's old and cantancerous,but it doesn't have any of those fancy electronis modules either.
Anyways,Thanks for the list.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 AM

I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee with a 9" bastard lift, 37x12.5R15 IROK's, 8.25 & Dana 30 w/ ARB's, Terra 4:1, TnT Y-Link & sliders & stiffeners, Safari snorkel, Gobi Ranger roof rack, F&R Hanson bumpers, Smittybilt XRC10 winch. I carry a 60" Hi-Lift Jack, Pul-Pal, an axe, shovel, Masterpul recovery kit (pulleys, clevis', tow rope, tree strap, winch cable extender), pick axe when necessary, spare front L/R axles, spare hub, two air compressors, air tools, two sets of standard and metric wrenches, a Metwrench tool set, 5 ton & 12 ton bottle jacks, blunt trauma medical kit (Tourniquets, chest seal, chest tubes, curlex, etc), a folding saw, road flares, pen flares, matches, lighters, flint & steel, survival blanket, tarps (5'x8' & 12'x14'), jack stand w/ 2"x12" wooden base, 20' rolls of electrical wire (10ga, 12ga & 14ga), solder iron w/ acc, several fuses, assort nuts & bolts, several screwdrivers, prybars, 3" sledge, jumper cables, full-size star tire iron star wrench, burn blanket, fire extinguishers, head lamps, & fluids (WD40, PB Blaster, starting fluid, lighter fluid, 2 qts brake fluid, 6 qts of oil, 1 qt ATF, 1 qt power steering fluid, hand cleaner, 1 gal premix anti-freeze) and of course bailing wire and duct tape! Where does it all go? Here:

I don't carry spare food, because I figure I could go a couple weeks without eating and be none worse for the wear. When I go wheeling in the winter I add a backpack with a sleeping bag, JetBoil, snivel gear, poncho-hooch, sleeping pad, & gaiters and toss it in the back seat with my snowshoes and treking poles. When I go into the mountains and out of cell reception I borrow an Iridum sat-phone from the office. Of course I always have my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx in the center console with spare batteries. And I have a CB to talk to other folks within earshot of it. I', studying for a HAM technician license and plan to get a HAMradio in the rig with a couple months. Anyway, these are the things that can be found in or on the Jeep at any given time.

Last edited by longtab; 01-15-2010 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: added content
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longtab For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM

german first aid bag
3 1gallon jugs of water
Wool blanket
1 30 bottle case of water
3 MRE's
first aid kit
metal cup
toilet paper roll
matches

Last edited by dt49863; 02-06-2010 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Wow - is there room to ride in the cars?
The Following User Says Thank You to callinmon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt49863 View Post
german first aid bag
3 1gallon jugs of water
Wool blanket
1 30 bottle case of water
3 MRE's
first aid kit
metal cup
toilet paper roll
matches
That is a lot of water with only 3 mre's. If you think an extended time in your car is a possibility, I'd throw in some more mre's or some other sources of food.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 8,566 Times in 3,489 Posts

I skimmed through the thread, but I didn't see these mentioned:

Walking shoes of some sort. Personally, I have a pair of hiking boots. Heavy insulated ones in the winter, light waterproof ones for the summer. Maybe gaitors. You are not always going to be wearing footwear appropriate for walking in inclement conditions while driving.

An insulated hat of some sort for the winter (Filson tin hat in my car).

Gloves. Work gloves for putting on chains. Latex gloves for working on the car. Warm gloves for walking

Skiing goggles - ever try to walk in driving snow or freezing rain?

For the winter I carry a snow shovel, insulated canvas coveralls for working on the car or walking away from it and an insulated gore-tex coat with hood.

I don't have a 4x4 anymore (I sold the one I had quite a while ago), my car is not something I care to work on (a modern Bimmer coupe) - I am not even sure where the battery is - somewhere in the trunk I think, and it is easily stuck in the snow (too low to the ground). So most likely, if I can't get it unstuck, I will be walking away from it. I have stuck or broken very competent 4x4s too and had to walk, so be prepared to hoof it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Heretic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Hunter

I carry a basic tools no need for a manual on how to fix it.
Some Vac lines and rubber hoses can make a quick fix when needed.
some clamps and a few extra bolts and nuts zip ties are a must.

durning winter i have a few blankets added to the pack some seal able containters.
no need to have a gun in the kit... i can just take mine from my go bag and run with that. I have a knife typically somewhere in the car.

Truck will have the same CB maybe one day.
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post: