Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bushcraft cup sgtmcboom DIY - Do It Yourself 5 09-24-2014 08:24 PM
How did you get into Bushcraft? UrbanGopher Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 13 07-04-2014 10:56 PM
What does 'bushcraft' actually mean? Shunryu Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 21 04-08-2014 02:30 PM
Bushcraft toddster Book Reviews 1 04-27-2013 04:41 AM
bushcraft knife question Guardian16 Knives, Swords & Axes 9 01-08-2013 03:15 PM
A bit of bushcraft... PapaWhiskyBravo Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 12-31-2011 03:53 PM
Midwest School of Bushcraft Advance Bushcraft Course skab0311 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 11-17-2010 03:44 PM
BUshcraft sixpack110 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 11 09-01-2008 09:58 AM
Bushcraft AAPEXX Knives, Swords & Axes 2 02-23-2008 09:05 PM
bushcraft shawn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 08-14-2007 08:34 PM

Old 09-09-2015, 11:54 AM
LEGALIZE FREEDOM!KC5UUS

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
Just go to your search engine of choice under images and look for mullein plants and leaves. I am pretty sure they exist in many parts of OK and TX.
i looked em up, yea they r around
Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgestanley032 View Post
When using a real fire-steel and a piece of flint, what part actually breaks off to create the sparks?

We provide the best Building Design in Adelaide

The spark is a small piece of the carbon steel from the striker that is burning. That is why you can't get sparks reliably from stainless steel when used in the traditional "flint and steel" technique. It is also noteworthy that the rock used does not have to be flint, but it has to be harder than the steel striker and sharp enough to bite into the steel to create the spark. Such as quartz or chert.
The Following User Says Thank You to K3400xp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 PM

Does anyone have any advice on camping in the winter. The coldest I've been is about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I backpack so I don't want to carry a heater. Usually build a shelter and keep a fire going I also take along hand warmers to sleep with in my bag but still get cold.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Everything in moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
Does anyone have any advice on camping in the winter. The coldest I've been is about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I backpack so I don't want to carry a heater. Usually build a shelter and keep a fire going I also take along hand warmers to sleep with in my bag but still get cold.
It's all about layers and insulation from the ground. Check out the Mors super shelter on you tube, very lightweight.
The Following User Says Thank You to bocephus223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2015, 07:38 PM

Where can I practice bushcraft in the state of Kansas?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 AM

Best way to make tea out of black birch??
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55 AM

Best bushcraft knife under $50??
Old 05-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Forester

Thanked 9,572 Times in 4,719 Posts

Lean to with a fire in front is as old as the hills.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Default bushcraft tanning?

which tanning method would you use for very thin (bird) hides?
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 PM

Mora bushcraft black, Condor Bushlore, Condor basic bushcraft 5", Mora robust, Mora companion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnolen View Post
Old 07-20-2016, 10:24 AM

Default Preferred method of starting a fire? Flint n-Steel, Rod, Bow etc...

I prefer the flint and steel method myself. Something about striking a piece of steel against a rock to me is gratifying. Just curious what others prefer?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 AM
LEGALIZE FREEDOM!KC5UUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
ill check out shugs shelter too, but i saw cody lundine, (hope i spelled name right), he made a kind of a green house in front of a fire, with a simple clear painters tarp, they say it works well. id build a long fire, i wanna try it myself
Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 AM
LEGALIZE FREEDOM!KC5UUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabernicola View Post
Where can I practice bushcraft in the state of Kansas?
not sure. but right off top of my head, i think id go to the American Discovery Trail and hike out on it some, it runs through Kansas and all the way across America
Old 07-21-2016, 03:35 PM

Some tips for winter camping:

A. Don't dress too warm during the day and wear breathable clothes to prevent buildup of moisture.

B. Have a spare set of clothes (especially baselayers!) to change in to once you have set up camp. Moisture is a big reason for being cold.

C. Get off the ground when you sleep. Sleeping pads are crucial, you lose a lot more heat through conduction to the ground than to the air around you. Also, sleeping bags get compressed and don't insulate as well underneath you.

D. Get warm BEFORE going to bed. Go for a short walk or do a few sit-ups in your sleeping bag so that your body is generating some heat and warms up the inside of the bag. Sleeping bags don't generate heat, they retain some of what your body generates. Too many people sit around the campfire just before going to bed and their body never warms the bag sufficiently.

E. Eat right before going to bed by having some protein and fats with dinner. This will take longer to digest and your body will generate heat more consistently through the night. For really cold nights have a snack nearby to nibble if you wake up during the night which will bump up your body's heat generation.

F. If you are camping for several days try to dry out your sleeping bag by turning it inside out and hanging it in the sun if possible. Your body releases some moisture into the bag which accumulates and reduces how well it insulates.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnolen View Post
Condor Bushlore. May require a bit more work as they don't always come out of the box with a great edge. But once sharpened correctly they can go toe to toe with much more expensive knives. Probably the best adaption of Mors Kochanski's bushcraft knife under $100. The continuous curved cutting edge is superior work working most woods. Which after all is what a bushcraft knife is primarily used for.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Lean to with a fire in front is as old as the hills.
A long fire with a properly place reflector would be best.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:25 PM
LEGALIZE FREEDOM!KC5UUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellybeanJones View Post
Some tips for winter camping:

A. Don't dress too warm during the day and wear breathable clothes to prevent buildup of moisture.

B. Have a spare set of clothes (especially baselayers!) to change in to once you have set up camp. Moisture is a big reason for being cold.

C. Get off the ground when you sleep. Sleeping pads are crucial, you lose a lot more heat through conduction to the ground than to the air around you. Also, sleeping bags get compressed and don't insulate as well underneath you.

D. Get warm BEFORE going to bed. Go for a short walk or do a few sit-ups in your sleeping bag so that your body is generating some heat and warms up the inside of the bag. Sleeping bags don't generate heat, they retain some of what your body generates. Too many people sit around the campfire just before going to bed and their body never warms the bag sufficiently.

E. Eat right before going to bed by having some protein and fats with dinner. This will take longer to digest and your body will generate heat more consistently through the night. For really cold nights have a snack nearby to nibble if you wake up during the night which will bump up your body's heat generation.

F. If you are camping for several days try to dry out your sleeping bag by turning it inside out and hanging it in the sun if possible. Your body releases some moisture into the bag which accumulates and reduces how well it insulates.
And i will add G. Empty bladder in to a bottle while staying warm in sleeping bag,so your body doesnt have rhe pee in rhe bladder to warm!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:58 PM

Sammich asked about what to wipe with and vicdotcom recommended sand. I live in the desert and can say with confidence DO NOT USE SAND. It does not work like snow because it does not melt so will turn your cheeks into two sanding blocks. Your best bet would be if you can find smooth (and I mean really smooth) rocks like the kind you might skip on a pond. Also the softer leafier parts of creosote, sage, cheesebrush, etc. can be clumped together and used. Last resort, I would use my hand and then use sand to clean the hand because it is much more callused than my button If you are in the desert then you should have enough water to rinse your sand-washed hand. Also, because you cannot rely on finding wood in the desert, so you probably have gas or alcohol which you can then sanitize your hand. But(t), even without the water and sanitizer I would still prefer to use my hand to wipe vs. using sand on my rear.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:46 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynamo View Post
I prefer the flint and steel method myself. Something about striking a piece of steel against a rock to me is gratifying. Just curious what others prefer?
A full size BIC lighter with a Survival Lighter Cap attachment.
Inexpensive, small, lightweight, weatherproof, reliable & long lasting.

Following that a ½ by 5 inch telescoping handled Ferro rod & carbide striker.

Combine the above with a knife & high magnitude fire starter tinder.
You have a kit that will start a fire in very adverse circumstances.

Shave off a little piece of tinder & ignite with the lighter or Ferro rod sparks, add kindling & you have FIRE.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:55 AM

Thanks fot the video