'Questions and Discussion for Dangerous Creatures Thread' - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dangerous creatures you know of? Fira777 General Discussion 28 05-25-2015 10:39 PM
North United States of America dangerous spiders questions Fira777 Health, Fitness and First Aid 16 03-10-2014 07:26 PM
The Fighters' Discussion Thread junglecrawler Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 96 04-27-2013 08:44 AM
Bitcoin discussion, Q&A... come here to learn, ask questions and discuss jaycrew Financial Forum 66 04-25-2013 10:40 PM
The who knows vaccines are dangerous thread JerseyPatriot Polls and Surveys 93 02-26-2013 11:13 PM
Survival Questions for Family Discussion AmericanPatriot121 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 11 11-21-2011 12:47 PM
grey water discussion questions meredith Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 09-30-2010 01:44 PM
Aus/NZ Hunting & Fishing Discussion (BS) thread Te Hopo Australia and New Zealand 67 02-10-2010 06:41 AM

Old 08-09-2015, 11:26 PM

Advertise Here

Black widows, funnel webs, brown recluse
Rattle snakes, scorpions and mountain lions.. even little poisonous caterpillars...

Give me all that and please take away the ticks, sand fleas, killer bees and mosquitos.. that's all I care about
The Following User Says Thank You to HeyLow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
This is a great thread and I appreciate the knowledge many of you have. I've been learning a lot.

Here's a question one of you may be able to answer. I live in So Cal and while out hiking I have been seeing more lizards than I have ever seen (all sizes). Is this because the snake population is low? I know they have many predators but I have wondered why there are so many this year.
The answer could be in the water shortage rather than snake population. Most reptiles do well in desert conditions with few predators around. Predators like wild cats and even birds could have moved on to places that still have water, leaving lizards to multiply freely where water is less abundant
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeyLow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2015, 07:08 PM

When I was a kid, my cousin and I climbed a tree to drop fire crackers on a Red Ant mound. The ants climbed the tree and overcame us so we had to drop from the limb onto the huge Red Ant mound.

Later in life I was bitten my a Coral Snake and did not die (obviously). My arm felt like it was in a fire for 24 hours. I did not go to the hospital because I didn't want the other nurses to know what an idiot I was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elk Wallow For This Useful Post:

Old 09-16-2015, 12:07 AM
Target Shooter

My husband killed a snake behind our new house in 2000. We live in northern North Carolina, about 10 miles from the Martinsville Speedway, Martinsville, Virginia. I do not have a picture but I did write down the description when I saw it. It was about 3 feet long, 6-8 inches around, triangular head, dark brown with burgundy ovals all over it's body. The ovals were different sizes. It was striking at a tire that hubby had grabbed to keep the snake away from him after he almost stepped on it. He used that tire to kill it. He said it was shaking it's tail and rattling. I contacted the Greensboro Science Center and the "reptile person" said it could be someone's pet that escaped, but he couldn't identify it.I have been trying to identify it since then, but the closest I have come to an identity is a picture from the web of an Asian/African species. I hope someone can put a name to this snake. (It's skin texture wasn't "rough" looking like a rattler, but "smoother" looking like a garter. I hope this makes sense.)

Last edited by hunnibeez; 09-16-2015 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: additional description
Old 09-16-2015, 02:03 AM
Target Shooter

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...AR7RuFv6m5geCg

these buggers hurt, very common. When I was a young soldier, we were learning de bussing APC,s. The APC (M113) ran over the nest just as they lowered the ramp, I de bussed, and dived onto the grond, a few seconds later, I was stung over 20 times, and had attracted the attention of everyone else there, they thought Id been shot!
The Following User Says Thank You to Barratrooper1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2015, 04:30 PM

Very cool thread, great reference. Here in AZ, we see the bark scorpions all the time, frequently in the house. They are quite hard to control sometimes. My best approach is to wait till after dark, with a blacklight and a hammer...
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdnutz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 AM

I see a lot of annoying painful insects and 1 dangerous animal but does anyone know more about larger animals like cyotes,wolves,bears,moose,ect like how likely you are to encounter them or how to avoid them and what to do if you run into them ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Nobody For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2016, 10:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
I see a lot of annoying painful insects and 1 dangerous animal but does anyone know more about larger animals like cyotes,wolves,bears,moose,ect like how likely you are to encounter them or how to avoid them and what to do if you run into them ?
I use to coyote hunt a lot, cause these woods are Full of them, and the deer hunters claim their dwindling our Large Buck population. You have to stay downwind of them, which is hard because they hunt in a circular motion, to pick up your scent. It's funny, sometimes you are likely to just Run in to one walking. They usually run. One night, years ago, my oldest son and his buddy's walked off in the woods and were suppose to be back before dark. When they weren't, I went looking for them(they were just getting home on another foreland when I went looking. Two miles out, I decided to get home, and get my truck to see if they were at one of their friends house. I had about 10 coyotes circling me and howling, the entire time. They never came into the road where I could see them, but they got within 5 yards of me. All I had was my knife. But I'm not easily scared, you have to be the Predator, and they sense it. You can't be afraid. Come get me, I'm gonna take you out one by one attitude....in a few minutes they had a rabbit screaming like a baby and I was home were my Son had been for over an hour. We have bears here but few. They say the danger of a bear, is you can be watching him from a scope at 100 yds, just walking along, but he's already on your trail.. Gators are tricky to, but I'll stick with them, and let y'all have the Bears..by the way, I knife hunt, the Bear may get me, but He will know it he had a fight ...I'm an adrenalin junky on my knife hunting, so I Have to stay out of Big Bear country, cause I would have to try. Only live once right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Carney For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2016, 05:36 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 10,092 Times in 3,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnibeez View Post
My husband killed a snake behind our new house in 2000. We live in northern North Carolina, about 10 miles from the Martinsville Speedway, Martinsville, Virginia. I do not have a picture but I did write down the description when I saw it. It was about 3 feet long, 6-8 inches around, triangular head, dark brown with burgundy ovals all over it's body. The ovals were different sizes. It was striking at a tire that hubby had grabbed to keep the snake away from him after he almost stepped on it. He used that tire to kill it. He said it was shaking it's tail and rattling. I contacted the Greensboro Science Center and the "reptile person" said it could be someone's pet that escaped, but he couldn't identify it.I have been trying to identify it since then, but the closest I have come to an identity is a picture from the web of an Asian/African species. I hope someone can put a name to this snake. (It's skin texture wasn't "rough" looking like a rattler, but "smoother" looking like a garter. I hope this makes sense.)
If you had or have a good pic, I could definitely identify it for you. foreign snake or not.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Survivor

Were the ovals more like V's? May have been a fresh shed Timber Rattler
Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Survivor

Where the designs similar to this just different colored?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:20 PM

My brother dared me to pick one up once. A painful decision.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:41 PM
MHAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnutz View Post
Very cool thread, great reference. Here in AZ, we see the bark scorpions all the time, frequently in the house. They are quite hard to control sometimes. My best approach is to wait till after dark, with a blacklight and a hammer...
you beat me to it, when I lived in Key West FL I was stung on the neck in the middle of the night, lost function of the left side of my face for 23 hrs. If I was allergic I would have been a dead man.

Also I have seen Red Fire ants cover a kid in a matter of min's. they move fast and are hard to get off.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Not sure if Aussies posted yet but for guys looking to visit or train here, the list off the top of my head with minimal googling.

Our deadly species, require immediate intervention.
Box jellyfish, Cone Shell( fires a barb if you pick up its shell), blue ringed octopus, funnel web spider, Inland Taipan and another ten snakes included in the worlds most venomous -Coastal taipan, mulga snake, Death Adder, Eastern Brown, Western brown, Black Snake, Tiger Snake

Potentially fatal or high risk.
About another 20 types of snake similar to rattler level poison. Redback spider(similar to black widow), stingray, another dozen smaller jellyfish species, Shellback paralysis tick.

Low risk but painful.
Creek Stonefish, Giant Centipede, Scorpions, large hunting spiders/tarantulids,White tail spider-( necrotizing wounds and flesh loss)Variety of stinging ants/bull ants/ inch ants as we call them, being over an inch long,Rainforest stinging tree. (hairs on leaves inject nuerotoxin, pain and symptoms lasting to 3 months), fire vine, other stinging nettle type plants.

Most are avoidable as many exist in the wild and basic common sense and keeping your eyes open is usually all you need.

Well its a terrible list but at least we don't have bears and rabies :D