I found a hole in my food preps. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 81 02-20-2017 09:58 PM
The skein of your life was woven long ago. Chapter 1 MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 164 02-20-2017 09:16 PM
How long until everyone finally dies from starvation, if...? Common-Sense Urban Survival 263 02-10-2017 07:42 PM
Hiding/storing food, weapon and ammo caches nameless_warrior Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-13-2017 07:14 PM
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 12-20-2016 03:37 PM

Old 01-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule4 View Post
I was looking in my freezer this morning and realized I have completely overlooked long term storage of my frozen food supply in the event of a grid down power outage. If the grid were to go down I'd eventually loose quite a lot of perishable and frozen food. Like most of us I'm sure we all have quite a large amount of food in the freezer.

I imagine the best way to preserve my frozen food in the event of a grid down incident would be to cook and can it before it thaws and spoils. I have a few cases of mason jars for canning but come early autumn most of my canning jars are filled from the garden. This time of year (early winter) I have maybe a dozen empty jars left... not enough.
I too have thought about this possible situation. My solution is 2 turkey fryers to can meat as it thaws. Last summer I gave it a test run and the amount of propane the fryers use is minimal. I would not like to see it go but I would sacrifice vegetables to save the meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to S Roche For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossA View Post
So where do you buy non-ethanol gasoline? All of the pumps I see say up to 10% ethanol.

Try looking at gas stations near lake marinas or any place that sells gas to boaters. They usually have non-ethanol fuel. In my area, Valero often sells gas without ethanol.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 PM

Hmmm... I thought you were talking about a mouse hole.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM
accipere rubrum pilula

Thanked 2,330 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacash View Post
This exactly. I bought a generator that will run my freezers all simultaneously, provided I space out when I plug them in so they aren't all surging simultaneously. I figure running them 3 or 4 hours per day will keep them all cold enough. I also have a couple rolls of fiberglass batt insulation that I would probably wrap them in to prevent as much cold loss or heat gain as possible.
I did something similar. At Home Depot they sell foam insulation (pink) that's folded like an accordion. It's about 3/8's of an inch and easy to work with.

What I did was make a box that fitted over the freezer whenever the electricity was off. That along with some u-haul moving blankets keeps the freezer ice cold for a long time.

When you make the box, just use gorilla tape, regular duct tape is ok, but not as good for long life. Also leave an airspace of an inch or so around the freezer, it helps with the insulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to papabob56 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:20 PM

In the dead of winter put your frozen stuff outside
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juskom95 View Post
1) A freezer will stay cold for a long time, days even if you are careful about when you open it
The more full a freezer is, the longer it will stay cold. If your freezer normally isn't full, make and store blocks of ice to fill up the empty space and discard them as necessary when you have more food to put in the freezerl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xaunloc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder03 View Post
Try looking at gas stations near lake marinas or any place that sells gas to boaters. They usually have non-ethanol fuel. In my area, Valero often sells gas without ethanol.
Don't count on gas not having ethanol in it just because it doesn't have a label saying "May contain up to 10% ethanol" on the pump.

The marking isn't legally required everywhere, and the simple fact is that some places cheat.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM

A freezer should not be running much at all even without additional insulation, I keep a smallish freezer that is hooked up to a 2200watt inverter just two 27 series batteries and I have somewhere, two 100 watt solar panels with charge controller. Freezer burns 8amps while running. Solar cells keep battery running I I have 12volt pump for well and can charge my rechargeable batteries and run some 12volt led lights. Plan on mounting panels a bit hidden ( although I never did trial run) if it's long term I'll save gas for chain saw etc
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So where do you buy non-ethanol gasoline? All of the pumps I see say up to 10% ethanol.
If you have Sphinx stations where you live, they all sell no-ethenol fuel (I call it "boat gas")...where I live, they're everywhere...kerosene is the big problem, ifyou can find it at all.....nearly $4 a gallon but it comes in handy sometimes and stores well.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfan45 View Post
If you have Sphinx stations where you live, they all sell no-ethenol fuel (I call it "boat gas")...where I live, they're everywhere...kerosene is the big problem, ifyou can find it at all.....nearly $4 a gallon but it comes in handy sometimes and stores well.
Also, most Publix stores have at least some "dry ice".
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 PM

I lived in NW Florida and experience the same 3 hurricanes. We lost power for 9 days. We couldn't run the freezer and lost much of what was frozen. Since then, I don't keep much in the freezer. I prefer to can or dehydrate foods rather than freeze them and preserve them while they are fresh.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Branch Manager View Post
Not saying all freezers will, but I tried this and had a severe icing problem. My theory is it was holding the heat from the compressor. I didn't try to solve the problem, I just took it off. I am in southern Louisiana, so the humidity may be a factor. Just my experience with what I thought was a great idea at the time.
Not exactly. All refrigeration, including air conditioning, is a process of removing heat - absorbed by the endothermic reaction of a liquid refrigerant expanding into a gas - and moving that heat to a location outside the conditioned space. By wrapping the condenser process, you trap the heat where it cannot be radiated to the environment. This keeps the gas temperature high, causing the compressor to overwork to reduce it back to a liquid. Eventually (skipping over a lot of physics), this results in frosting and freezing of the system, similar to the effect of low refrigerant.

Uncover the compressor and condenser coil. Allow the heat to be released and the system will operate as anticipated. You only want to add the insulation to increase the thermal resistivity (R-value) the storage box, to lessen the heat absorption from the ambient environment (as most retail appliances don't utilize the most efficient insulation due to production costs; investigate the variety of insulation products available for commercial walk-in unit panels if you're still interested at this point).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Watcher- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,529 Times in 2,217 Posts

It's winter, put the freezer outside, unless you live in Florida
Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,357 Times in 828 Posts

http://www.pure-gas.org

For non ethanol gas stations.

Separating ethanol out of gas will lower octane.also
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Could get a small chest freezer that runs on propane(RV/camper) and use it as a back up. Batteries/solar or even wind turbine as well. Unless you need to use the freezer stay out of it and (if you filled empty space with water bottles and such) should stay frozen/cold for a few days
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 PM

A few years back here in Virginia, we were without commercial power for eleven days, i had a 5000 watt generator that I ran two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening, kept my 26 cu/ft chest freezer and a refrigerator working fine, also decided to throw an extension cord over the fence so our elderly neighbors could keep their fridge cold also. At the time I had 35 gallons of gasoline on hand, everything went as planned, just needed to be prudent on opening the fridge when removing/replacing items. I also made it a habit (and still do) to keep half-gallon milk containers, rinse them well, and fill in the empty spaces in both freezer and refrigerator.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 PM

I picked up a 30KW generator (should be big enough...LOL) that runs on natural gas. I am now building a gasifier to run it on wood. I have done a lot of research and started gathering the needed materials and hope to begin construction soon.

I also have 2 wind turbine generators and several solar panels as long as an EMP doesn't take them out. The generator is a 1973 and doesn't have any "fine electronics" in it so an EMP shouldn't affect it (I hope). This should solve the problem for me.

Not sure how an EMP would affect the freezers?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cboggs2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 PM
never tell me the odds

Thanked 1,389 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboggs2 View Post

Not sure how an EMP would affect the freezers?
This is my concern. My generator and fuel supply could keep my freezer running for a long time but what if an emp or cme takes out the generator of freezer. This is why I want canning as plan B
Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,294 Times in 751 Posts

Rather than opening the freezer to check the temp, you can get battery operated thermometers that report your temp to a monitor. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which works really well.

Also, keep in mind that meat takes time to thaw, so even if your freezer isn't -10, as long as it's still under 40F, that's refrigerator temps, and if the meat still has ice-crystals in it, you can re-freeze it.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,763 Times in 570 Posts

Quote:
Airport is one place. Some have mogas and most have 100LL.