U.S. Air Travel Survival Kit? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US Abstains in UN Vote Against Israel PeterEnergy Political News and Discussion 568 02-13-2017 11:47 AM
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 12-20-2016 02:37 PM
Bush Pilot Survival Kit AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-24-2016 04:30 PM
Smith & Wesson Fire Striker With Survival Kit (SWFS1) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-21-2016 10:14 AM

Old 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Pen

Advertise Here

I carry one of these Smith & Wesson tacticool Pens every week - have never been stopped or questioned. For the price of a decent meal its a good investment.

http://amzn.to/2jwv1K1
Old 01-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Prepared

Thanked 7,044 Times in 241 Posts
Default Wallet kit

This past year, I have done a lot of air travel for business. I took survival items, not just in the event of a plane crash, or even if stuck on the plane, but to have while (wherever it was I had to go).

You can't bring knives, so if I was going to be on the ground for more than a day or so, I'd find a walmart and buy a cheap folding blade just to have one. No big deal to leave the $2 knife behind.

I always travel with my carry-on containing at least a change of clothes and many of the items already noted. (water bottle filled inside security line, cordage, mylar blankets, $1 poncho, etc.)

I've also taken to carrying my "survival wallet" which contains:
a lighter
6' of paracord
coffee filters,
AquaPure tablets
a miniAltoids tin of basic meds, bandaids, packet of antiseptic, etc.
button compass,
coin-sized LED light
a mini ferro-rod
and an X-acto blade in a cardboard sleeve (no handle)
Granted, I'll never be baton-ing firewood with a little blade like that, but it's great for cutting cordage, or just getting into those impossible-to-open packs the $2 knives come in.

I've been through Security many times with my survival wallet. It goes on the X-ray belt, of course. Out of a dozen trips, not once did TSA want me to open it.

They gave me trouble over having a loose Altoid in my shirt pocket or that my belt was too metallic, but never the wallet.

There's more gear in the carry on bag, but the wallet is a nice always-on-me collection.

-- Mic Roland
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NightOwl265 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:37 PM

SOG makes a nice little knife that looks like a key on your keychain. I usually have a tactical pen or a Zebra F 701 pen handy. Always some type of LED lamp. Something to read, headphones for the phone and a ball cap. International travel is a breeze. The rest goes in check in luggage. Domestic travel I agree with the post on shipping what you need to your destination. Been there and done that many times. Just let your hote a package will be delivered prior to checknin and you will be covered
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosicrucian For This Useful Post:

Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Prepared

I always carry a cell phone and one softsided gym bag.

Gym bag contains: 1 each - under pants, t-shirt, socks, wrangler jeans; personal hygiene bag with all meds, tooth brush, disposable razor, daily hygiene stuff;
Maxpedition Fat boy with - light first aid kit, compass, 2 flashlights, extra AA, AAA batteries, extra phone battery, extra alergy meds, extra blood pressure meds, Yaesu Ft60r, extra battery for Ft60, ARRL Repeater guide, 550 cord, Tums, granola bars, leather gloves, mechanics gloves, box of Hot Tamale candy.

Every item has a history for why it's in there. Even though I am traveling from one home to another, extra clothes are with me because somehow I am always soaked with Coke Cola if I don't. Other stuff because of not wanting to be stuck in middle of nowhere without light, communication, and meds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FortunateSon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 04:07 PM

I keep some items in carry on and a few more in checked baggage. On board kit includes primarily items for comfort in case of long airport delay, including a couple of mylar blankets and inflatable pillow, hygiene items, full change of clothes, food items and flashlights (and a Black diamond mini-lantern). I also often carry one or two golf balls (think about it). Checked bag kit adds stuff that you can't or don't need to carry on, like a pocket knife, butt pack, an MRE or two, etc. I buy a lighter upon arrival. Most of the check-bag items are listed above.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGremlin View Post
Does anyone have any information on what is the longest it has ever taken to reach a crash site of a plane flying within the continental U.S.

Frankly I would say a survival kit for any flight inside the US (excluding maybe Alaska, Hawaii etc.) makes little sense. If the plane goes down in water nothing short of a life raft will help you much, if it goes down on dry land rescue would most likely come within hours.

I would say best option is to make sure to buy a bottle or two of water in the airport to take onboard, then stop worrying and hope for the best. Maybe one of those space blankets in your carry-on as a bonus if it is cold where you "land".

Flying is just one of those situations where you mostly have to assume the risk and hope the airline has done the precautions for you.
I walked 1 mile in the desert with a broken back to reach some dirt bike riders for my rescue. That was 3 hours after my helicopter crashed 3 miles North of Deer Valley airport 25 years ago. Only my wife and last student of the day were looking for me. No flight plan filed in local area of operation.

I became an Amateur Radio operator after that. I can now afford a cell phone but I can reach a repeater anywhere in the US. Not so with cell phone.

A commercial aircraft crash in the Rockies may take a full day for help to start arriving, with good weather.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FortunateSon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 40,764 Times in 24,244 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

During a round trip to Thailand last summer (including 4 stops in China and 2 in Japan) I carried an old club card that had one corner and one edge sharpened. It stayed in my wallet and was neverc questioned customs or security in all 4 countries.

20 feet of paracord, small first aid kit (China asked about it one time and I told him it was in case I cut myself shaving and he waived me through) basic medications, small drinking purification straw, snack and the usual "stuff"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM

I would travel more by train if they'd clean up the stations (many seem to be in rough ghetto neighborhoods) and lower the prices....Amtrak is too expensive.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
I guess my question is.....what do you need a survival kit on the plane for ?
What is the purpose? Plane crash on the open sea?
As far as I know, there is no open sea in the United States
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM

A few have mentioned ferro rods. Are these allowed while flying?
The Following User Says Thank You to DontPanic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Your worst nightmare.....

Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPanic View Post
And as far as I know.... why would someone have to make a survival kit to carry onto an airliner
Putting a survival kit in your checked bag to have at your destination....that I can see....
That would be more helpful..you can pack it better....and include more useable things...like a knife.
Just my 2 cents and my experience.....and having flown on over 70 flights last year....in the US....and across ocean to my home outside the US.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
They are allowed.....but I d rather use a bic to burn a loose string on my clothing.....works better
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,428 Times in 12,656 Posts

Quote:
Try flying Houston to Miami.

Or just land at LAX sometime.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,562 Times in 5,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosicrucian View Post
SOG makes a nice little knife that looks like a key on your keychain.
Trying to get a key knife through TSA is a BAD BAD idea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
And as far as I know.... why would someone have to make a survival kit to carry onto an airliner
Putting a survival kit in your checked bag to have at your destination....that I can see....
That would be more helpful..you can pack it better....and include more useable things...like a knife.
Just my 2 cents and my experience.....and having flown on over 70 flights last year....in the US....and across ocean to my home outside the US.....
I never mentioned flying out to sea and I surely didn't say I was going to take it in my carry on. I asking what items are allowed on a plane flying across the U.S. thanks for your two cents.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Quote:
Try flying Houston to Miami.

Or just land at LAX sometime.
Very True
Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
They are allowed.....but I d rather use a bic to burn a loose string on my clothing.....works better
thanks. Yeah definitely. But still good to know.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I never mentioned flying out to sea and I surely didn't say I was going to take it in my carry on. I asking what items are allowed on a plane flying across the U.S. thanks for your two cents.
Well you do know there are a dozen websites out there to get that info from....including tsa.gov.
Asking random people on a forum.....especially those people who have zero experience flying can be hazardous to you.
One member even went as far to post a picture of a train ticket..... seems clueless
Your original post was pretty uninformative ..... didn't specify carry on or checked bag. I notice most people were responding with information on carry on bag.

Another 2 cents
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 PM
"Everbody has a plan . ."

Thanked 2,490 Times in 936 Posts

At the constant risk of being labeled a Troll for daring to not blindly following the majority, I also wonder about the practical uses of ferro rods on a freaking airplane??????
First aid kits, flashlight, water bottle, etc.
Definitely ! ! !
But what IS this weird obsession with building fires?????
Even in Mexico, virtually every airport I've been in has been in a fairly populated area. If I was in the Military & deploying to a FOB in some far off hades hole, then yeah, I could see "survival" gear being a good common sense idea, but really, is there anyone here who's flown commercially into or out of any location where you really need junk to make a fire????
The Following User Says Thank You to 6471 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well you do know there are a dozen websites out there to get that info from....including tsa.gov.
Asking random people on a forum.....especially those people who have zero experience flying can be hazardous to you.
One member even went as far to post a picture of a train ticket..... seems clueless
Your original post was pretty uninformative ..... didn't specify carry on or checked bag. I notice most people were responding with information on carry on bag.

Another 2 cents
actually this is the perfect place to ask. The average joe won't be taking a ferro rod on a plane. And zero experience? I obviously found you who's boasting about all our flying miles.