A few pics from my BOL in East Texas. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from Texas; originally from Norfolk, UK Plants of the UK New Member Introduction 23 12-06-2016 12:00 PM
My BOL setxfireman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 10-16-2016 05:26 PM
BOL is neary finished seawolf101 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 10-11-2016 10:58 AM
Secession peacefully DVader General Discussion 240 10-10-2016 11:08 PM
Choosing a BOL with water and food resources in terms of population chuck duster Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 10-08-2016 06:45 PM

Old 12-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,917 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3rd View Post
Teneha, Timpson, Bobo and Blair
That goes WAY back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t76Hw_Gip8U

http://www.texasescapes.com/DEPARTME...rTx1AMD101.htm

Last edited by Ankylus; 12-08-2016 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Add the link. Hope it works.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:55 PM

Thanked 2,310 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
That goes WAY back.
LOL I go a ways back myself, my mother was born in Gary in 1929, I've lived in E TX since 1960, part of that time in Gary.
My mother grew up with Tex Ritter.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
LOL I go a ways back myself, my mother was born in Gary in 1929, I've lived in E TX since 1960, part of that time in Gary.
My father is from Houston County, so not quite so deep into East Texas. He used to sing that song around us frequently, and he had several Tex Ritter albums he used to play when we were growing up.

Anybody knows that phrase, it's a pretty strong indicator they are from or got roots in East Texas.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Warning! Old Fart...

Thanked 21,466 Times in 5,373 Posts

Quote:
Panola County, Carthage is the county seat. Delivered propane all over that county for seven years. Not many places there I haven't been to at least once.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
Panola County, Carthage is the county seat. Delivered propane all over that county for seven years. Not many places there I haven't been to at least once.
My g'parents have been gone for a long time but if you're familiar with Gary their house was on the corner where you turn to go down to the old school. The Gary City Water well is at what was the back of their home place (they donated the land). LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
My Grandfather was born in Choice and Garndmother in Possum Trot any idea were that is????
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
Carthage just won the state championship today
The Following User Says Thank You to setxfireman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:30 AM
Strength and Honor

That place is awesome! Can't wait to work hard over many years and build up a place like that some day.
The Following User Says Thank You to TangoEcho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setxfireman View Post
My Grandfather was born in Choice and Garndmother in Possum Trot any idea were that is????
IIRC Possum Trot's over around Round Rock, seems like I saw a sign during a MC Rally awhile back. Choice, TX., can't say I've heard of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 01:27 AM
Totally grumpin'

Thanked 50,809 Times in 11,943 Posts

Great camp y'all have, Setxfireman, thanks for sharing pics of it. That much acreage should give you a good buffer zone around the place for peace and quiet and to give you some good hunting.

If you want to plant wildlife foods, native persimmon seed germinates very easily. You can probably still gather the fruit now, clean the seeds and plant them in pots set out on your porch over the winter. In late spring or early summer, they'll sprout and grow quickly. Same with any native plum. Various hawthornes are also good for wildlife, the parsley hawthorne is particularly nice for birds and the mayhaw is good for everything, including people. All of the hawthorns sprout readily from seed.

Your citrus should do very well. I'm north of you and I have quite a few trees of various kinds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 19,778 Times in 4,043 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I love this thread and most threads with pics of people's BOL's, homesteads, camps etc.
And land is most valuable and not getting any cheaper. I thought I had a good deal for being able to find and buy 3 and 1/2 acres with many trees and good water for $8,000 which is some are trying to get $10,000 and more per acre today. I have read even one Million dollars per acre such as in Vail and Aspen, CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
Your grandfather had excellent fore sight. As Samuel Clemmons said, "Buy land, they`re not making it anymore."

That old travel trailer in the middle of nowhere will look like heaven to someone trapped in a metro area while the natives loot and burn everything.

All you`ll hear is crickets....
Not sure how old the trailer is but it looks good to me. And if it is comfortable and able to live in it then it is better than most. I had a small trailer I got for only $350 and had a cover over it but it still got crushed by snowpack. As I have seen at least 3 trailers etc. get crushed and two cabins also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Wow, most excellent. I would put the trees on gravity fed drip irrigation system. Water tank on a stand you can pump or haul water up to.

I would look at some kind of root cellar camo in to the land scape. Great place to hid all kinds of things until you need the free cool storage.

Out along the perimeter plant stuff game animals like. Perhaps add some quail or birds that can fend for themselves.
Root / storm shelter - cellars are great and a necessity from all that I have read and even done since 1982. A root cellar can be called a storage - storm shelter and could save you and your families life someday from a tornado or such. I am sure your area as well as many areas in the USA have the potential for tornadoes? And a root cellar / storm shelter does Not have to cost much as I have posted in quite a few threads. Hope people can find those threads and If not then send me a message and I will gladly tell where to get info.

And I am sure even on survival forums, that too many think they Must spend lot of dollars to have a homestead, a cabin, a bunker - root cellar or whatever. I for one, know from much experience that is not true. Even if - when I inherit much hopefully within a year or less I am not going to spend too much. Maybe $10,000 or so on a newer, bigger, more powerful pickup truck but not too much on a cabin etc. etc.
So much I could tell about but I just hope that many are not simply dreaming about what they would do IF they win the lotto or whatever.... And just Do it such as is shown in this pic thread and many others on the net.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2016, 02:55 PM
Nurse4life

I live in e tex, I have a few fruit trees and muskeedime's. Any questions on trees hit me up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loftis78 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftis78 View Post
I live in e tex, I have a few fruit trees and muskeedime's. Any questions on trees hit me up.
Come to think of it I have not seen any muscidimes on this land. Thats a great Idea. Ill gerab some in the spring and tranplant them
Old 01-01-2017, 01:19 PM

I grow them at home in setx and transplant them in the spring. I was up this weekend it looks like my citrus will survive the winter so far
Old 01-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
My father is from Houston County, so not quite so deep into East Texas. He used to sing that song around us frequently, and he had several Tex Ritter albums he used to play when we were growing up.

Anybody knows that phrase, it's a pretty strong indicator they are from or got roots in East Texas.
My cousin (and his father) were both born in Houston County; his mother was born in Panola County; his grandmother mother was a Ritter from Panola County and a cousin of Tex.
The Following User Says Thank You to jpo_tx113 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpo_tx113 View Post
My cousin (and his father) were both born in Houston County; his mother was born in Panola County; his grandmother mother was a Ritter from Panola County and a cousin of Tex.
Went by Tex Ritters grave the other day