lights for bicycle - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top 5 around the house/vehicle flash lights? Reason Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 29 12-29-2016 01:56 PM
I love these little lights, product review streamlight John_Auberry Rifle Forum 1 12-26-2016 01:34 PM
Infrared flashlight filters, the small ones, for the 1 &1/8 bezel lights Goblin X Military Weapons Forum 12 12-04-2016 12:51 AM
Sweden Bans Christmas Lights Watchingtheweasels Religious Discussion 0 10-26-2016 07:07 AM
Streamlight Rail Mounted "Scout" lights, a short review Unobtanium Military Weapons Forum 14 10-19-2016 11:22 PM

Old 01-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,981 Times in 828 Posts
Default lights for bicycle

Advertise Here

I haven;t even searched yet,want some opinions first.
Just started riding again,mainly in the day,but a few evening times,recreationally.
I see bikes with flashing lights,blue,white..etc.

What do you consider a good set-up?

Basic white in front,red in back.Solid or strobe,led or other.Rechargeable or regular battery.Pressure or manuel swith?

Cheaper is always better for me,just want some suggestions on what to search for.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Target Shooter

Strobe lights last longer than solids battery wise.

Strobing light is sometimes hard to figure out where it is going and how fast, so I would prefer cyclists to have solid lights if they use same lane as I do in my car. Hitting them will hurt them more than me anyways.

I'd put not that strong lights in bicycle itself, their point is just to make you visible to others. They don't need to blind other people.

Instead get a headlamp, fix it in your helmet or whatever hat you are using. Use it as a flood light when offroading or whatever. Something that is easy to turn on/off while riding.

Whatever you do, avoid using flashing lights that color match police or rescue vehicles. Nothing is more annoying at night :P
Old 01-02-2017, 06:14 PM
In a rifted Pangea...

Thanked 2,768 Times in 811 Posts

I've got a 2 NiteRider forward lights- a 300 lumen on my handlebar and a 600 on my helmet. I really like this set up and have plenty of light for non-road riding. Having something just on the bars wasn't enough for me personally, adding the helmet helped me be more aware of my surroundings.

And a red cheaply blinker in back.

― Mark Twain
Old 01-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Hunter

Thanks for the replies
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,224 Times in 525 Posts

I go way back w/ bikes. Remember installing the old generator lights. They were cantankerous

Now for the rear I use small battery powered rear red lights w/ flash or steady mode, are real cheap, less than $5, work well. I use it on a simple flash mode.

And I use for front light just a plain old mag lite, 2 AA battery model. Attach with simply rubber bands looped under h-bars. (A bit of padding under the light if needed). Bright enough for me to see road condition with fresh batteries, and the light is multi-use. It's a good set up also in that I can move it around easy to see objects of interest. A good cheap arrangement. There are brighter lights certainly, but this works for me. I've also used this rubber band set up w/ a cheap LED China light w/o problems.

I've bought also a little clip on hat light, and I use that too for a bit extra security.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Hunter

Ever forget to turn off the lights?A wonder if they make any with a pressure switch that can be mounted on the seat or handgrip?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,224 Times in 525 Posts

I go way back w/ bikes. Remember installing the old generator lights. They were cantankerous

Now for the rear I use small battery powered rear red lights w/ flash or steady mode, are real cheap, less than $5, work well.

And I use for front light just a plain old mag lite, 2 AA battery model. Attach with simply rubber bands looped under h-bars. (A bit of padding under the light if needed). Bright enough for me to see road condition with fresh batteries, and the light is multi-use. It's a good set up also in that I can move it around easy to see objects of interest. A good cheap arrangement.

I've bought also a little clip on hat light, and I use that too for a bit extra security.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 18,758 Times in 6,168 Posts

Most lights for bikes now are LED and use very little battery. I just have a red flashing for the back (under the seat) and a standard LED headlight. However, The whole point to lights in my opinion are visibility to the drivers. The best option for visibility are the new led strings you can and put in your spokes. Very little power consumption, but give off a ton of light.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Get rechargeable lights. Especially if you ride a lot. Will save a few bucks.

New and better lights are coming out monthly these days, look second hand on ebay once you find a light you want.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Don't forget clothing with reflective striping if you find yourself on the streets at night. It goes a long way to being seen as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:58 PM

I'd recommend using a rear and front lights for others visibility, not yours. If it's that dark you shouldn't be riding on a road, just my opinion.

besides the front/rear lights add reflective tape to clothing and in the spirit of preparedness I'd recommend (I never go on a ride without it) getting a roadid bracelet.

https://www.roadid.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Mexpedip For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Prepared

Quote:
If it's that dark you shouldn't be riding on a road, just my opinion.
College town. Goths on black bikes with no reflectors at night. studying physics, optics and evolution, apparently understanding none of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
College town. Goths on black bikes with no reflectors at night. studying physics, optics and evolution, apparently understanding none of that.
You'll find plenty of people who do idiotic things or in their mind necessary things. It still doesn't mean it's a good idea to ride a bike at night.

I ride 5000-10000 miles per year (75% on the road). It's hard enough for drivers to see you during the day. Be aware, highly visible and ready to ride into the ditch. It's my right to ride on the road. It's my responsibility to do everything possible to avoid getting run over.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,584 Times in 536 Posts

Follow the rules of the road. Don't ride in a bike path against the flow of traffic. Portland, OR is what they like to call a "Bike friendly town" and cyclists get run over all the time.

Example, you're in your truck getting ready to make a left turn, you glance to the traffic going in your direction when the traffic coming at you is at a lull. Then you pull out and away you go.. But, here in Portland, even with all the bike lanes and the serious bicyclists using them, you won't see them coming from the right as they swerve into the crosswalk, make a turn in front of you and go along their way on the other side of the street you're trying to get off of.

They really need to start writing tickets and punishing those guys. The city actually built a friggin bridge from old downtown to new downtown and the only people that can use it are pedestrians, bicyclists, and light rail. If you don't own a car, you didn't pay a dime for that bridge because the taxes on gas and registration of vehicles paid multiple millions of dollar for a bridge they can't even use. But, do bicyclists only use that bridge? Nope, they use every bridge in town to get where they're going..

THe only good thing about all the bicycles in Portland is the Naked Bicycle Ride they have once a year. Bunch hippies bearing it all on bicycles, closing major streets to do their ride.. Then they complain about all the old fellars with cameras blocking the route to take pictures.. haha..
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Hiker

My opinion I'd go with led on a bike kitted for long haul use for touring..
Old 01-18-2017, 01:37 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 1,584 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
My opinion I'd go with led on a bike kitted for long haul use for touring..
I took my Cannondale mountain bike and swapped out the tires for better and smoother riding road tires. It's amazing how much more coasting you get when you're not running knobbies.

I also put some beach cruiser handlebars and a longer goose neck on the front end to make it more comfortable to ride. That and a sturdy big seat (Not one of those skinny one that spread your family jewels) make for a nice ride.

Not as fast but, it'll get you there and allow you to get off and walk around a lot easier.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:48 AM
HidingInPlainSight 3%

bicycle riders where I live are considered TARGETS!!!...you should stay off public roads.. or prepare to suffer the consequences! Most move over when my 131db air horn goes off!!

.. and don't give me they have rights too... I have heard this too much and I don't care!!