Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creepy stories from the indoors scosmo451 General Discussion 397 03-14-2017 07:55 AM
Creepy stories not from the outdoors itslikethatross Urban Survival 89 05-13-2016 03:52 AM
Funny Stories From The Outdoors AK_guy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 30 04-18-2016 09:02 AM
Creepy/Scary Campfire Stories JJohnsonMtMan Site Information & Suggestion Box 2 04-01-2015 02:50 PM
Creepy Red*Lion General Discussion 0 01-23-2014 08:27 PM
Can Anybody Say, Creepy?.......... MountainRecluse Controversial News and Alternative Politics 10 09-08-2010 07:12 PM
WOW, this is CREEPY Dirt Fisher General Discussion 1 11-02-2009 11:54 PM

Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 PM

Advertise Here

I have 3 creepy ones, but they are indoors. 1. My first wife wasn't scared of too much except lizards and snakes. Even when I used to crawl under the bed after midnight and reach up and grab her arm (yea, I'm playful and a late night person) it would only annoy her. After she passed on due to complications with back surgery she got me back. She waited till I let another female spend the night with me a few times. I was sleeping alone though when it happened. I woke up to someone under my bed yanking my arm real hard and was still yanking on it after I was wide awake. It stopped after I snatched my arm away. She didn't approve of me keeping company with a woman I wasn't married to. She came to my 2nd wife in a dream on our wedding day and gave her approval though.

2. One Sunday morning I was debating whether to get up or sleep in and I saw my 2nd wife pass by the bedroom door as she walked down the hall. She was all dressed and prettied up and I figured she was going to church with my mother. I felt kind of humbled seeing she was enthusiastic about going to church when I was still debating whether to get up or not. I rolled on over in bed and to my surprise there was my wife in bed asleep! I was like, who was that then....
The crazy thing about it was my dad saw the same thing that I saw except he saw her go up the stairs into our trailer. She was dressed the same and it was about the same time that I also saw her. The door dad saw her go into was locked.

3. My dad passed away in late February of 2010. Not long after he was buried I was at my sister in law's and my cell phone rang. It was my parents' number, but I didn't answer it in time. I called it back and mom answered and asked me what I wanted. I said what do you mean "what did I want" because you just called me. My mother said no, she was asleep and I just called her.
Now I wished I had answered that call sooner because I think it was my dad saying goodby. It never happened again.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to greenpondmike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 PM

When I was young I heard this teenage girl telling about the haunted bayview lake bridge. This particular young lady could tell some whoppers and had me so scared of that bridge that I wanted to avoid it if I could.
13 or 14 years later I wanted to find that bridge and do some legend tripping. The bridge was well known, but the steel one with wooden planks had been replaced years ago by one that was more modern and made out of concrete. Me and my 1st wife got there way before dark and I talked to some people fishing there. For some reason I had my fishing gear in the back of the truck and wound up fishing under that bridge at night. Only my wife and I were there after dark. Around 9pm a cotton mouth swam up to my fish that I had on a stringer and bit one. It proceeded up the bank towards us after that. My wife tore out of there and I don't see how she didn't step on anything the way she was moving. I guess I'm either brave or stupid because I stayed calm and just slid my rod under the snake and while balancing it in the middle slung it back in the water.
I stayed 20 more minutes, but was afraid that snake or another would sneak up on me so I left.
On the way home the Hueytown police pulls me over for no tail lights. They let me go and I went to the parts store to get stuff to fix them. The store closed after I got what I needed and while I was under the truck working on the lights a fellow pulls up in a mustang gt and gets so angry because the parts store is closed that he floors his car in reverse. I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that it curved towards the back of my truck that I was under and stopped around 2 feet away. Now that scared me. By the time the night was over it would have been far less stressful if we'd only seen a ghost instead of that other stuff happening to us.

Ps. I also posted this story on strange usa under redneck185 or 185redneck I can't remember. I also put it in the comment section of another story on "yourghoststories.com". Don't worry it's me. I'm all over the place.

Last edited by greenpondmike; 01-07-2017 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Addition
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greenpondmike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 PM

I used to take people on night time ATV rides through some pretty creepy places that I new real well. I was either the leader or brought up the rear, there is nothing that bothers me in the woods but a couple times being last in line it's pitch dark behind me and when you get that feeling and look behind and its black as night and your hair is standing up it's time to get on the move. It's been a while since I took anyone but I imagine I would still be looking over my shoulder.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Farmerdan For This Useful Post:

Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
So it ate you ?

Must have spit him out lol
The Following User Says Thank You to greenpondmike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Here is a new one that happened to me yesterday morning:

I was driving home from work (Night shift) and it was just after 6AM. Still very dark outside. My ride home from work is about 20 minutes all backroads that are very dark and mostly wooded.

Up ahead at the edge of my headlights, I see movement. As I get closer, I see this VERY large, muscular dude with no shirt on. It was maybe 45 degrees out so it seemed strange that he wouldn't even have a shirt. He also had an inverted cross painted on his chest and black makeup around his eyes. Behind him was a guy I didn't get a good look at, but it seemed he was wearing a lab coat. There was a 3rd figure in the woods next to them, but I didn't get a look at him at all.

I had not slept much all weekend and was very tired, so I didn't feel like dealing with calling the cops or anything. It was a Sunday morning before Halloween, so I assume they were at a party the night before and crashed there and must be walking home.

In hindsight (and after getting scolded by my cop wife when I told her) I probably should have stopped and asked if they were ok and at least checked out the situation. Like I said, it was a wooded back road that has a few isolated houses on it. They may have been walking home to one of those houses or whatever, but it was "creepy". If I saw the large shirtless guy walking towards me on a dark road anytime but Halloween, I would most likely have drawn my pistol. He was large enough to be a professional wrestler and I have never seen him around town before. I would have remembered a guy like that.

I think you did the right thing by driving on past them without stopping. From what you described they were satanists and you probably would have "dissapeared".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenpondmike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGreenEyes View Post
Alright, I said I'd share, so here goes. Not in a wilderness area, but this was outdoors, and is, by far, the creepiest story I can tell. I don't have any scary ones from the woods. Camped a lot when I was a kid, too. Mind, we['d use a campground, but this was in the Cherokee National Forest, so still pretty remote, and very beautiful. Never a single scary thing there. The scary night was in a neighborhood. Now, I know a lot of this will seem subjective to many people, and that's alright. Know, though, that it was very real, that all involved were certain something was going on, and that the feeling of fear was quite strong.

The setting is a neighborhood, sometime around 1980-1982, in a quiet area, one night. I was spending the night at the home of S, along with another friend, K. Won't post names, because I don't know how they feel about sharing this, and haven't been in contact in long years. Anyway, the three of us were hanging around, talking about this and that, listening to S play a song on her guitar. Her parents were home, but her brother was not; he was "camping" in some nearby hills with a friend. Significant later on. Well, after a while,the three of us decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. Quiet area, as I said, and pretty low crime, so we didn't worry. Plus, S at least carried a small knife, and I think K might have had one. Three of us, anyway, and we weren't concerned about bad people. We walked up and down streets, seeing literally no one, no moving cars, everything nice and quiet, as was usual. There was a dog, a German shepherd, who would bark when we passed, but this was his routine. S said he did that all the time, even though she walked there a lot. After a while, on one street, we started feeling a little unsettled. All three of us thought we were being followed, though, still, we saw no one and nothing. Few cars parked on the streets, nowhere really for anyone to hide, but the feeling was real. Then, I heard what sounded like dog paws on pavement. Anyone with a dog knows the sound. Unmistakable sound, and seemed to be approaching us, so I turned to look, but saw nothing. When I turned, S and K asked why, because they hadn't heard a thing. And, no, my ears aren't especially sharp. Seeing nothing, we were all still very sure there was something there. We walked faster, around a corner, and ended up where the last lot before we'd turn again to get back to her street, was a vacant field, where the home wasn't yet built. We all stopped in our tracks, absolutely certain that we were facing whatever had been following, though we still saw nothing. Well, two of us saw nothing. Later, K stated she saw what she described as a hellhound, with two heads. We believed her. I know what I heard, and the feeling, well, no denying it if you were there. We took of running, pell mell down the streets, till we reached S's porch. We didn't go inside right away, not wanting to have to explain why we were so freaked out, but remained on the porch. The thing, hound, whatever, we could feel still watching, from an area across the street. S, at this point, was reciting Bible verses, and we were all praying, and I swear, you could feel it retreat. Not gone, but not able to come closer. Subjective, you say? Well, sure. Very, very real, though. An animal right in your face could feel no more threatening. After a while, we did go inside, and prayed more, still very shaken and scared. S had her Bible, and located another one for K to hold, and, not wanting me empty-handed, offered a small cross, made of alabaster or mother-of-pearl or something similar. I clutched it like a rope tossed to a drowning person. Oddly, I started noticing a heat in my hand, the one holding the cross. A LOT of heat, so much it should burn, but it didn't. I opened my hand and looked, and emanating from the cross was the most amazing light; pure white like nothing I've ever seen before. I got my friends' attention, and they saw it as well, and we all started feeling quite safe, and much calmer. It was like the light was a message, a sort of, "Don't worry; you are safe in my hands." sort of thing. And, we were. We slept after a time, seeing a glow then in the corner, at the ceiling by the door. We all felt this was an angel, sent to keep us safe.

Next day, we found claw marks on a fence outside, and odd partial prints in some dirt. as if from a large dog. I see the whole thing as a lesson of sorts. Still, the hell hounds in Supernatural, I really don't like AT ALL. Invisible creepy dogs hit a bit close to home!

Well, that's the creepiest outdoor story I have. Take it as you will, and I understand if people are skeptical. I would be, myself, if I hadn't been there. Even now, decades later, I still can see the places we walked, and vividly remember that evening.

Oh, I almost forgot! Remember I mentioned the brother of S was camping with a friend? Well, before we slept, he and the friend showed up at the house, saying they decided not to camp, because some animal or other - they never saw it - was stalking their campsite. They finally got spooked enough they came back. Hearing our story, they were glad they did.
Seeing how it was also probably messing with the ones that were off camping, I kind of wonder if someone conjured it up against you all. Did you or any of your friends have any enemies?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Emperor of Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
When I was young I heard this teenage girl telling about the haunted bayview lake bridge. This particular young lady could tell some whoppers and had me so scared of that bridge that I wanted to avoid it if I could.
13 or 14 years later I wanted to find that bridge and do some legend tripping. The bridge was well known, but the steel one with wooden planks had been replaced years ago by one that was more modern and made out of concrete. Me and my 1st wife got there way before dark and I talked to some people fishing there. For some reason I had my fishing gear in the back of the truck and wound up fishing under that bridge at night. Only my wife and I were there after dark. Around 9pm a cotton mouth swam up to my fish that I had on a stringer and bit one. It proceeded up the bank towards us after that. My wife tore out of there and I don't see how she didn't step on anything the way she was moving. I guess I'm either brave or stupid because I stayed calm and just slid my rod under the snake and while balancing it in the middle slung it back in the water.
I stayed 20 more minutes, but was afraid that snake or another would sneak up on me so I left.
On the way home the Hueytown police pulls me over for no tail lights. They let me go and I went to the parts store to get stuff to fix them. The store closed after I got what I needed and while I was under the truck working on the lights a fellow pulls up in a mustang gt and gets so angry because the parts store is closed that he floors his car in reverse. I wouldn't have minded except for the fact that it curved towards the back of my truck that I was under and stopped around 2 feet away. Now that scared me. By the time the night was over it would have been far less stressful if we'd only seen a ghost instead of that other stuff happening to us.

Ps. I also posted this story on strange usa under redneck185 or 185redneck I can't remember. I also put it in the comment section of another story on "yourghoststories.com". Don't worry it's me. I'm all over the place.
I'm also from Alabama, have had many people tell me the ghost stories about Bayview bridge. Been there looking a few times and was always disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_Kerr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM

Default Road Construction Fun

Not a story about the woods, sorry bout that, but I had something unexplainable happen to me and a buddy many years ago when I was in college.
We had taken a summer job working road construction in San Antonio, building a road (we called it a highway turnaround you know, when you exit the highway, you pass underneath the bridge to go back the other side of the highway without having to merge into traffic) underneath a two huge bridges passing in front of the entrance to Lackland Air Force Base. You can look it up on Google Earth. I just did.
It was pretty early in the construction phase of the project, we were just building the turnaround road itself, and there was a 3-4 foot deep ditch between the road and the incline up to the bridge.
No retaining wall yet, that came later on.
There was a lot of noise from the machines and local traffic. I mean it was LOUD. That year, or the one before, back up beepers were required to be installed on the big machines. You know, put the machine in reverse, the beeper blares.
Well, the superintendent in charge of the site didn't like the back up beepers and had them disconnected. Bad move for us.
One day, my buddy and I were standing on the north side of the west bound bridge, talking with the state civil engineer. We were on pretty good terms and traded insults as he walked away, got in his truck, waved and drove off. My buddy was to my right.
I happened, just happened to glance back to my right and I saw the rear right tires of a road maintainer (think 'Grader' with the large flat blade hung from the frame in between the two front wheels and the back four wheels) coming right at us fast. FAST.
The beeper was disconnected so we were oblivious to the danger.
I touched TOUCHED my buddy's arm and suddenly we were both shoved halfway up the incline. We hit so hard UP the incline that it knocked the breath out of the both of us and put a dent in my hard hat.
Then the machine roared past, the operator oblivious to our presence.
We were stunned, and my buddy was the first one to speak. He said thanks for pushing him out of the way. I said huh? I just touched your arm, there wasn't enough time to shove, and Iím not strong enough to push him and me that far that fast.
He said the tire had just brushed his thigh. It was that close. We would have been squished like bugs.
Like I said, we landed halfway UP the slope.
Now, maybe it just wasn't our day to die, or we have a guardian angel who watches over us. You pick for yourself, I know the truth.
I've another story too, maybe I'll share.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mike's Brown Hair For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kerr View Post
I'm also from Alabama, have had many people tell me the ghost stories about Bayview bridge. Been there looking a few times and was always disappointed.

I have come to the conclusion that most, if not all the haunting associated with that place went out with the old bridge. Still a good place to visit if you like snakes.😆
Old 01-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Saw many ufos about 15 20 one night I saw 7 in a 45 minit period in Richmond ca 10:00 at night. The most frightening was a shapeless blob with white edges and the center blinking/flashing green orange blue pink yellow, it stayed in the sky for about 15 20 seconds. It was a completely clear night then out of nowhere it shot off as far as the eye could see ( 30 50 miles) in less than 2 seconds. That was the 7th and last one I saw that night.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john thebaptist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Brown Hair View Post
Not a story about the woods, sorry bout that, but I had something unexplainable happen to me and a buddy many years ago when I was in college.
We had taken a summer job working road construction in San Antonio, building a road (we called it a highway turnaround you know, when you exit the highway, you pass underneath the bridge to go back the other side of the highway without having to merge into traffic) underneath a two huge bridges passing in front of the entrance to Lackland Air Force Base. You can look it up on Google Earth. I just did.
It was pretty early in the construction phase of the project, we were just building the turnaround road itself, and there was a 3-4 foot deep ditch between the road and the incline up to the bridge.
No retaining wall yet, that came later on.
There was a lot of noise from the machines and local traffic. I mean it was LOUD. That year, or the one before, back up beepers were required to be installed on the big machines. You know, put the machine in reverse, the beeper blares.
Well, the superintendent in charge of the site didn't like the back up beepers and had them disconnected. Bad move for us.
One day, my buddy and I were standing on the north side of the west bound bridge, talking with the state civil engineer. We were on pretty good terms and traded insults as he walked away, got in his truck, waved and drove off. My buddy was to my right.
I happened, just happened to glance back to my right and I saw the rear right tires of a road maintainer (think 'Grader' with the large flat blade hung from the frame in between the two front wheels and the back four wheels) coming right at us fast. FAST.
The beeper was disconnected so we were oblivious to the danger.
I touched TOUCHED my buddy's arm and suddenly we were both shoved halfway up the incline. We hit so hard UP the incline that it knocked the breath out of the both of us and put a dent in my hard hat.
Then the machine roared past, the operator oblivious to our presence.
We were stunned, and my buddy was the first one to speak. He said thanks for pushing him out of the way. I said huh? I just touched your arm, there wasn't enough time to shove, and Iím not strong enough to push him and me that far that fast.
He said the tire had just brushed his thigh. It was that close. We would have been squished like bugs.
Like I said, we landed halfway UP the slope.
Now, maybe it just wasn't our day to die, or we have a guardian angel who watches over us. You pick for yourself, I know the truth.
I've another story too, maybe I'll share.

That reminds me of the time I had to walk to work. It was just about at the crack of dawn when I heard a car comming up in the direction I was walking, so I crossed over to the other side of the road to hitch a ride. Come to find out it was someone I knew. He stopped and picked me up and we had just started rolling when we met a log truck that had a blowout on the passenger side front tire. It sounded like a shotgun going off. The truck turned over on its side and slid up into the bushes. We stopped and asked the driver if he was alright and he said he was. We asked if we could help, but he said that he didn't need any, so we went on.

Years later it occurred to me that if that car didn't come along that I would have been on the same side of the road in the same spot when that truck had a blowout and turned on its side. I would have been squashed and smeared. The fellow that gave me a ride wasn't just anybody, he was a good Christian that went to the same church I used to go to. I believe that GOD sent this man at just the right time to deliver me from an early death.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Thanked 1,096 Times in 186 Posts

Yeah, those happen. I may have told this before, I'm not sure. One night I was coming off the mountain after a day of hunting. It'd been cold, the truck heater got warm, and I got a bit sleepy. I was pushing hard, near 60 on a one lane paved mountain road, twisty as a drunk snake, down a near 20% grade. Sliding the corners, tires howling.

I hit a wet patch from the previous nights fog that hadn't dried and lost it, slid across that while turning a bit, and when the tires hooked dry pavement on the other side I was pointed for the ditch. I hit the brakes hard but I was still doing probably 35 when the tires left the road and the truck went airborne. The last thing I remember was I had a whole front windshield full of rock bluff heading at me and I knew I was ... "f-ed".

The next thing I knew it was pitch black. I was pretty sure I'd hit so hard I'd blacked out but as I did a mental check for pain, etc I couldn't find any. Next thought was ruptured gas tank, car fires, etc. so I reached up to turn the key off to remove the ignition sources. Key was already off. Next thought was similar ... headlights. Must have busted headlights, could make sparks. I reached up to turn the lights off.

You already know by now ... they were off.

I sat there in pitch black confused as ... confused. I thought about it and decided to take a chance and turn the dang headlights back on. What I saw was open space for a ways, then a wall of green leaves. About that time I noticed a light source to my right a ways away ... car coming.

I could see enough to see that my truck hood was not crumpled like it should have been from a 35 mph flight into rock. I could see from the oncoming lights that I was in the middle of the road ... and I better move. I hit the starter, the truck started, so I backed up slowly to turn around.

What I saw ...

I was coming downhill when all that cut loose. What I saw ahead of me, when I got straight in the road, was my sliding tire tracks, ahead of me, downhill, leaving the road into the ditch.

Somehow or other, in that split second between truck-flight and truck-impact, something happened which transported my airborne truck back up the hill and left me pointed off into the canyon on the opposite side of the road looking into the tree tops.

I can't offer a rational explanation.

What I CAN, and will, tell you, though, is I was unable to look into the passenger seat. I felt SOMETHING there, despite the doors being locked, something present that I just was not ready to deal with. I drove on down the mountain that way. Imagine a horse with blinders on ... whatever was to the right la la la la la I don't hear you la la whistle past the graveyard I am NOT dealing with **that**. After a while the sense of presence faded and I made my way on home.

I'm only not dead because something intervened that night, something that can set aside the laws of physics, maybe even time.

You do the math ...
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Peg View Post
Yeah, those happen. I may have told this before, I'm not sure. One night I was coming off the mountain after a day of hunting. It'd been cold, the truck heater got warm, and I got a bit sleepy. I was pushing hard, near 60 on a one lane paved mountain road, twisty as a drunk snake, down a near 20% grade. Sliding the corners, tires howling.

I hit a wet patch from the previous nights fog that hadn't dried and lost it, slid across that while turning a bit, and when the tires hooked dry pavement on the other side I was pointed for the ditch. I hit the brakes hard but I was still doing probably 35 when the tires left the road and the truck went airborne. The last thing I remember was I had a whole front windshield full of rock bluff heading at me and I knew I was ... "f-ed".

The next thing I knew it was pitch black. I was pretty sure I'd hit so hard I'd blacked out but as I did a mental check for pain, etc I couldn't find any. Next thought was ruptured gas tank, car fires, etc. so I reached up to turn the key off to remove the ignition sources. Key was already off. Next thought was similar ... headlights. Must have busted headlights, could make sparks. I reached up to turn the lights off.

You already know by now ... they were off.

I sat there in pitch black confused as ... confused. I thought about it and decided to take a chance and turn the dang headlights back on. What I saw was open space for a ways, then a wall of green leaves. About that time I noticed a light source to my right a ways away ... car coming.

I could see enough to see that my truck hood was not crumpled like it should have been from a 35 mph flight into rock. I could see from the oncoming lights that I was in the middle of the road ... and I better move. I hit the starter, the truck started, so I backed up slowly to turn around.

What I saw ...

I was coming downhill when all that cut loose. What I saw ahead of me, when I got straight in the road, was my sliding tire tracks, ahead of me, downhill, leaving the road into the ditch.

Somehow or other, in that split second between truck-flight and truck-impact, something happened which transported my airborne truck back up the hill and left me pointed off into the canyon on the opposite side of the road looking into the tree tops.

I can't offer a rational explanation.

What I CAN, and will, tell you, though, is I was unable to look into the passenger seat. I felt SOMETHING there, despite the doors being locked, something present that I just was not ready to deal with. I drove on down the mountain that way. Imagine a horse with blinders on ... whatever was to the right la la la la la I don't hear you la la whistle past the graveyard I am NOT dealing with **that**. After a while the sense of presence faded and I made my way on home.

I'm only not dead because something intervened that night, something that can set aside the laws of physics, maybe even time.

You do the math ...

That was more of a miracle than what happened to me. I hoped you thanked Him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenpondmike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,747 Times in 2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
So About 2am ,got the whole place to myself on both sides of the river not a soul around . When all the sudden I hear a truck or a vehicle ,and out of the trails probably 100yds away this truck come flying out of the sticks like some crazy person... 70's chevy 2wd .
It comes flying into the lot where im parked and stops in front of my truck blocking me in . Now at this point im getting pretty nervous. and slipped my hand in the pistol bag ,
So the truck has me blocked in and i couldn't really see that well around the front of my truck ,but i heard two doors open and shut .
two guys get out and come around in front of me ,and another comes up from behind. I keep my cool ,hand on my pistol but not showing just acting relaxed..
One of the men (maybe in his early fifties pretty rough looking dude. ) Asked me where the hell are we ? And they all kinda laughed , I joked around with these guys for a while and everything turned out ok. To this day i don't know if these guys had any ill will toward me or not . their body language and the way they had blocked me in with their truck .who knows? But that was an experience ill never forget.
Not that great was pretty scary never the less..
kinda wonder if
1) they were scouting for girlz or cool stuff to steal
2) they were looking for a certain person for a possible confrontation, and found out you weren't that person so walked away.

I tend to camp alone. glad I never had such an encounter.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Prov 3:5,6

Thanked 1,461 Times in 506 Posts

Not creepy but made me smile. I grew up on a farm about 40 miles from NYC, rural back then but certainly not wilderness. Our farm backed up to several large wealthy estates along the Navesink River, with miles of woods and bridle paths for their annual "Fox Hunt", interspersed with dirt roads. One morning a wild-eyed man came walking down the laneway from our back field beyond our woods, and asked where he was. I directed him the few hundred feet further to the road. And mentally shook my head. He was nowhere more than a mile from a road, though in those days most were still dirt.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildartist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildartist View Post
Not creepy but made me smile. I grew up on a farm about 40 miles from NYC, rural back then but certainly not wilderness. Our farm backed up to several large wealthy estates along the Navesink River, with miles of woods and bridle paths for their annual "Fox Hunt", interspersed with dirt roads. One morning a wild-eyed man came walking down the laneway from our back field beyond our woods, and asked where he was. I directed him the few hundred feet further to the road. And mentally shook my head. He was nowhere more than a mile from a road, though in those days most were still dirt.
Is that property still in your family? Is it still a farm? I only ask because of its proximity to NYC and if it's been taken over by the expansion of the city life through the years.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,827 Times in 2,439 Posts

Quote:
That reminds me of the time I had to walk to work. It was just about at the crack of dawn when I heard a car comming up in the direction I was walking, so I crossed over to the other side of the road to hitch a ride. Come to find out it was someone I knew. He stopped and picked me up and we had just started rolling when we met a log truck that had a blowout on the passenger side front tire. It sounded like a shotgun going off. The truck turned over on its side and slid up into the bushes. We stopped and asked the driver if he was alright and he said he was. We asked if we could help, but he said that he didn't need any, so we went on.

Years later it occurred to me that if that car didn't come along that I would have been on the same side of the road in the same spot when that truck had a blowout and turned on its side. I would have been squashed and smeared. The fellow that gave me a ride wasn't just anybody, he was a good Christian that went to the same church I used to go to. I believe that GOD sent this man at just the right time to deliver me from an early death.
I fully 100% believe in divine intervention and guardian angels. I've had several incidents like this in my life. I'll share one now.

Riding with a friend in his car (a Ford compact 2 door) one sunny day and hot summer day, and we were both pretty hot already from a long day in construction work. This was a county style road, 2 lane highway at probably 60mph, rural area. The AC on his car didn't work, so we had the windows down. I had my arm hanging out the window, playing in the wind. The breeze surely cooled off the car.

For no apparent reason, and none I could put to words then or now, I pulled my arm inside and rolled up the window.

BAM!!! Moments later, a deer came out of nowhere, and neither of us saw it. I never saw it, and only recall the hard impact. That deer ran directly into the passenger door, exploding the glass into us, and smashing the door. Hitting a deer that hard, at 60mph forward, minus the angle, plus his charge speed, he hit with serious force.

Had my arm been there, I would have been badly injured and perhaps amputated it. If the window had been down it's possible the deer could have come inside partly, and injured me, possibly killing me. Deer antlers, lets, hoofs, or head impact could/would have been very damaging.

I cannot explain other than say divine intervention caused me to pull my arm in, and roll up the window.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 AM
Dirty Mind

Thanked 6,253 Times in 1,656 Posts

I'll toss in a couple "someone was looking out for me" type stories...

Picture three kids, maybe 10 years old, who enjoyed fishing. Any chance we could we would have my friend's mom take us over to the river.
Well, we discovered a pond on the other side of the railroad tracks. What could possibly go wrong in this scenario? Three kids venturing off to one of those typical ponds/pits you find along many rail roads. In reality it was less than a mile from my house. We had to walk south about 1/4 mile, cross a road, cut between some buildings, cross that tracks and walk back into a small wooded area.
We get back there and start fishing and notice a little boat on the other side, one of those plastic paddle boats that you peddle. How the hell it got there I have no idea. Us being little Bass Masters got the idea to walk to the other side and get in and fish like the pros from our boat. Well, we get out into the middle and wouldn't you know the damn thing start taking on water. We were getting no where trying to paddle and were literally in the middle. I got the bright idea to jump out and push. Me jumping off caused it to take on more water and the damn thing really started sinking. To further complicate things my foot was tangled in the rope, that was tied to the sinking boat. Maybe we can attribute it to my swim lessons every year but I was able to basically tow that sinking boat for a distance until the rope finally let go. Two kids probably should have drowned that day.

Fast forward 10 years or so and my girlfriend (now wife) and I were driving back to Ohio from Florida. I had an '86 S10 Blazer, shaved, lowered, tinted with a stout 350 under the hood. It was late in the afternoon, just getting to Atlanta. I'm feeling this bounce, like I'm driving over a bunch of small speed bumps. I pull off at the exit only to find my driver's side rear has a buldge. I have no spare tire. I'm in Atlanta. With a vehicle that would likely draw the wrong kind of attention. Then I see a tire place. Thank god. Of all the exits in Atlanta I pull off at one with a tire shop. A tire shop that closed an hour ago. Now what? I glance across the road and a run down old gas station with a bunch of black guys and a sign that says "Tires". My Dad gave me a Makarov which I had field stripped in the back for transportation purposes. I drove over there and could not have had a better experience. They did not have the correct tire size but were able to quickly go get one and had me back on the road. Of course, while they sorted out the tire repair I reassembled that pistol faster than Forest Gump.

I have always felt like we were being looked out for that day.

One day I was driving down a two lane road in and industrial area going to an interview and I completely blanked out and had no idea where I was for a couple minutes. No clue what that was all about, it never happened again.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TriggerHappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkshiker View Post
I have spent countless hours and miles backpacking in very remote areas and have never come across anything remotely supernatural. I've certainly come across some startling things, but never anything I can't explain.

I don't believe in the super natural. I've always wondered...Is the difference between people that experience unexplainable things a belief/disbelief in the supernatural?

I've had all kinds of animals invade my campsites, scare me half to death at night/on the trail, and have had a few creepy encounters with some people that were clearly "off" or up to no good in the woods, but again, nothing I can't explain.

I'm just curious if anyone else feels this way...that maybe some people are prone to experiencing what they believe is supernatural due to religious beliefs or superstitious upbringings.
I believe that the "feeling" itself is supernatural.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that most, if not all the haunting associated with that place went out with the old bridge. Still a good place to visit if you like snakes.😆
Dang i haven't heard that bridge in forever, i always think the scariest thing is the drive through Whylam on the way back to Hueytown.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quadrcr161 For This Useful Post: