BOV steel vs non-steel wheels/rims - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 Yesterday 08:00 PM
No steel ammo at gun range Wilderdood Firearms General Discussion 60 01-09-2017 04:20 PM
Complete List Living off the Grid Grifters Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 123 11-27-2016 11:27 AM
Is my Stainless Steel Container safe for the fire? nate2017 Food and water 5 11-02-2016 07:35 PM
Cold Steel Finn Hawk Dusty Bones Knives, Swords & Axes 3 10-03-2016 11:44 PM

Old 01-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,966 Times in 735 Posts

Advertise Here

This thread explains it well

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=591832

Sorry, I couldn't find a link with pictures
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 AM

You all get very technical and show that physics classes were not wasted on you. I rely on experience. I got my license in 1974. The first few cars I drove had steel wheels and I hit some BAD pot holes with those steel wheels. Bad enough to cause front end damage-- but those steel wheels were never damaged so badly that they had to be replaced. Then I got a brand new car that had aluminum wheels. In the 10 years I owned it, I had to have 2 wheels replaced and repairs made. Both were considered "accidents" and insurance paid for those new aluminum rims. The aluminum rims had chunks broke off and cracks too. I finally got an old 4 wheel drive truck and very high on my "truck to-do list" is buying steel rims. WHY because experience taught me that aluminum wheels are brittle and they crack and crumble--they are pretty but they are junk.
The Following User Says Thank You to carolyn62058 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 PM

IMHO a BOV would be built as simple as possible ...no computers, plenty of spare parts like points caps etc or elec ignition modules etc if you choose them. Included in that perception which follows my personal desire to keep things K.I.S.S.
Therefore steel wheels, and plenty of spares.
In a perfect scenario all my vehicles would use same lug pattern, if not exact same wheel and tire size for optimum interchangeability along with same air, oil, & fuel filters along with same oil, grade of fuel.
My goal being max versatility, ability to swap parts and minimize stocking a bunch of different parts.
Saw a custom 4X4 on TV that had common u-joints (1 kind for everything) and common size of axle shafts etc. in addition to same leaf springs front and rear.
Industry is (it seems) never motivated for much overbuilding or interchangeability probably cuz its in their best interest (profit) or possibly some weight savings ... which for SHTF is easy to pass on (IMHO) as a very lofty goal.
Many parts don't fail that often but keeping a multitude of different spares is for all possibilities is easier to do if there is a lot of commonality.
Just my opinion and one of many lofty goals.
The Following User Says Thank You to kilowatt2736 For This Useful Post: