Guilty pleasure canned goods - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Money/Wealth & Prepping wattda Financial Forum 15 03-08-2017 04:41 AM
starting from scratch--what CANNED food should I store? craezie Food and water 64 01-18-2017 06:41 PM
Stored canned goods in oven, accidentally pre-heated jfone Food and water 9 12-29-2016 12:48 PM
Do store bought glass items save as well as Canned? ltrain Food and water 6 12-22-2016 02:17 PM
Easy Open lids on canned food not as good? Revision Food and water 25 10-18-2016 05:10 PM

Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 AM

Default Guilty pleasure canned goods

Advertise Here

What are some of your guilty pleasure canned items?

Mine were ravioli, spaghetti with meatballs, smoked trout, and anything Spam. Recently, I discovered the canned Indian food at Trader Joe's, and it's top notch (brings me back to my childhood, not Indian, but my uncle was.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stloutdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 02:17 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 21,413 Times in 7,284 Posts

Dekopon oranges

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X36NUUK...I1TDY9ZBBR6YHD

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 04:09 AM
Hiker

All day breakfast, beans, sausage, egg and Bacon all in the same.can!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geordie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 04:15 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 8,633 Times in 2,434 Posts

Green olives, smoked oysters (I keep a hundred or so cans as emergency rations and I love when I need to rotate some out), mandarin oranges and of course the high sodium crap Campbell's makes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viper6Niner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 06:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,889 Times in 1,403 Posts

OP, you should be concerned about appetite fatigue. I'd suggest adding Beefaroni.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 06:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,417 Times in 944 Posts

Peaches, pears, pineapple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gotjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,916 Times in 908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjunk View Post
Peaches, pears, pineapple.
For fruit, cherries, plums, mandarin oranges, mango, and lychees.

For canned meat, Australian corned beef (so much better than ours) and canned mutton.

For fish, salmon filets, bacalao, and octopus in garlic sauce.

For cheese, cabrales blue, feta, and Cougar Gold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NY Min For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 143,339 Times in 42,268 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I like to hit up the middle eastern and indian markets for interesting canned and bottled items. Spicy pickled goodies, stuffed eggplant and dolmas, feta cheese in olive oil, indian curries, etc.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I like to hit up the middle eastern and indian markets for interesting canned and bottled items. Spicy pickled goodies, stuffed eggplant and dolmas, feta cheese in olive oil, indian curries, etc.
Got some canned kimchi last time I was at the Asian market, haven't tried it yet though

Old 01-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 143,339 Times in 42,268 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stloutdoorsman View Post
Got some canned kimchi last time I was at the Asian market, haven't tried it yet though

Kimchi is too easy to make fresh. I can't see buying it in cans. But I'm curious what it'd taste like. I know there's a world of difference between canned saurkraut and homemade.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 01:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I would say there is little to feel guilty about in those items. Keeping a well rounded pantry is just good planning IMO. In addition those types of items usually pair very well with plain rice and pasta, significantly increasing the overall usability of those basic staples.

For me it is anything Chef Boyardee (or similar). I can not help but enjoy these products and store a significant quantity, but nutritionally I would say they are "low value". I am especially guilty of not even heating them and just eating them out of the can. My wife has to leave the room when I do this as she finds it so horrifying (the peace and quite is an added bonus of this method).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TekGremlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Hunter

Ditto MikeK.

Speaking of which, why the heck is there no freeze-dried eggplant or feta at those storage-food companies?

I think Indian ready-to-eat is the best convenience food out there.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Preparing

Thanked 10,747 Times in 7,099 Posts

Sardines in mustard.

Runs in cycles: sometimes want them for every meal, then months go by with no appetite for them at all.

Also, canned date bread.
The Following User Says Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
Sardines in mustard.

Runs in cycles: sometimes want them for every meal, then months go by with no appetite for them at all.

Also, canned date bread.
What brand? Don't know much about canned bread, but it sounds like a good item to add to my stock

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stloutdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Preparing

Thanked 10,747 Times in 7,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stloutdoorsman View Post
What brand? Don't know much about canned bread, but it sounds like a good item to add to my stock

Haven't bought it in a while since I'm not supposed to eat bread but used to get canned Dromedary brand brown date bread at Kroger (seasonally) and on-line at Vermont Country Store (over-priced).

Canned B & M brand Brown Bread & canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins I used to order on-line from Wal-Mart.

Toasted with melted butter or softened cream cheese . . . . . oh, boy, I miss the good old days LOL

Last edited by LindaLou; 01-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot: sometimes HEB carries it, too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2017, 10:48 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 9,296 Times in 3,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
Haven't bought it in a while since I'm not supposed to eat bread but used to get canned Dromedary brand brown date bread at Kroger (seasonally) and on-line at Vermont Country Store (over-priced).

Canned B & M brand Brown Bread & canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins I used to order on-line from Wal-Mart.

Toasted with melted butter or softened cream cheese . . . . . oh, boy, I miss the good old days LOL
B&M Canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins doesn't last long around here.
Gets eaten rather quickly.

Like it enough, since reading this:

Elizabeth says:

In 1999 I made a batch of banana bread in a jar for Y2K! I used the same recipe as this:
http://breadrecipe.com/recipes from Allrecipes.com. I made it exactly as the recipe directed, and it turned out perfectly. It has been kept in our root cellar with my other canned goods – no special treatment, and around 45F year round. The last time we had one was about 2 years ago, and I have 3 left …….This thread prompted me to look at them so I might help answer the questions. The bread has not dried out and is still quite moist, but more so in the lower half of the jar. In future, I will turn the jars upside down once a year to help with this. …….If the jars and lids are sterile and all is done correctly, I would not hesitate to say this will last 10+ years! Hope this helps.

This is the actual recipe:

Banana bread baked in a jar

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7024/ba...aked-in-a-jar/

I make about 2 dozen per batch. None have lasted longer than 2 years, as they get eaten before that.

But, this I know, they last AT LEAST 18 months, in a cool clean dry root cellar.

Last edited by bunkerbuster; 01-05-2017 at 12:00 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
In 1999 I made a batch of banana bread in a jar for Y2K! I used the same recipe as this:
http://breadrecipe.com/recipes from Allrecipes.com. I made it exactly as the recipe directed, and it turned out perfectly. It has been kept in our root cellar with my other canned goods – no special treatment, and around 45F year round. The last time we had one was about 2 years ago, and I have 3 left …….This thread prompted me to look at them so I might help answer the questions. The bread has not dried out and is still quite moist, but more so in the lower half of the jar. In future, I will turn the jars upside down once a year to help with this. …….If the jars and lids are sterile and all is done correctly, I would not hesitate to say this will last 10+ years! Hope this helps.
[/I]
If this stuff is moist enough that you need to turn the jar to keep the moisture distributed, it's most likely moist enough to support the growth of botulism. It may last in the jars, but it doesn't sound safe to can--which is undoubtedly why the linked recipe calls for keeping it refrigerated.

I only know of one canned bread recipe ever tested safe for home canning, and that's a pumpkin bread.

For canned bread, I keep some B&M and a lot of German rye and pumpernickel in cans (which I had to order from Germany last time, but it was worth it). I've had German canned bread 5+ years old that was just beginning to dry out a little in the can. It keeps very well on the shelf at unclimate-controlled room temps.

https://www.dauerbrot.de/dosenbrot/b...rote/index.php

https://shop.conserva.de/de/88-dosenbrot

There are canned cakes as well:
https://www.dauerbrot.de/index.php/dosenkuchen.html
https://shop.conserva.de/de/89-dosenkuchen
Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
B&M Canned Brown Bread w/ Raisins doesn't last long around here.
Gets eaten rather quickly.

Like it enough, since reading this:

Elizabeth says:

This is the actual recipe:

Banana bread baked in a jar

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7024/ba...aked-in-a-jar/

I make about 2 dozen per batch. None have lasted longer than 2 years, as they get eaten before that.

But, this I know, they last AT LEAST 18 months, in a cool clean dry root cellar.

I am going to have to try this this weekend Sounds great
ZRT
The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie response team For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Outside the box

Beef stew, Salmon, albacore tuna, chicken & dumplings, various beans, along with the things the OP mentioned (along with others also mentioned)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 PM
straight shooter

Thanked 5,060 Times in 1,568 Posts

Artichoke hearts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OKCorral For This Useful Post: