Survivalist Forum banner

Best paracord survival bracelet? -firesteel, tinder, scraper and sling

43K views 83 replies 38 participants last post by  Black Knight 
#1 ·
If you have ever seen some of my paracord work, you’ll recognize that I always seek to be innovative and unique. I rarely do paracord “survival bracelets” because I find most of them boring to make and typically lacking any real utilitarian value. Sure with some effort on the most common bracelets, you could untie it and get 10’-12’ of paracord. If someone wandered away from camp and got lost with empty pockets, the clothes on their back and their paracord bracelet, they could use the cordage to save valuable time in rigging a shelter. What about fire? Do you think the average person is realistically going to use the paracord to make a bow drill fire?
In the spirit of Paracordist innovation, I’ve been thinking about making a truly unique AND useful bracelet for some time now. How could I integrate firesteel, scraper and tinder? What about I.D. and/or critical medical information that could make the difference between life and death? How can I get more cord in a typical bracelet yet make it easy to untie? How can I do this and make it attractive, comfortable, renewable, affordable and suitable for everyday wear? Well here it is, I think I’ve done all that and more!

• Bracelet weave uses about 25% more cord than a cobra stitch of the same length (unless of course you use cobra back and forth until you have an absurd thick and uncomfy bracelet)

• Single cord construction, easily unravel

• 3/8" diameter firesteel cut to 1" acts as button for loop closure

• I.D. plate is made by my friend Bucketosudz from Artisan Attributes, specifically for this creation. Plate has square ground edges which double as effective scraper for the fireseel.

• I.D. plate can be engraved or decorated. I'm thinking I.D. info or critical medical info.

• Single or double thread of jute runs through top of bracelet (8"-16") it is only on top so not uncomfy to the wrist. Removable for tinder.

BONUS: Finally, seeing the finished prototype I realize it can be used as a rock sling. The bracelet is 1" wide, so not a typical sling pocket but it will work with carefully selected rocks. I have to test this. I'll let you know how it works out!

See less See more
#5 ·
Great ideas for innovation! I was thinking about how to put in some firesteel and never came up with a good idea like you have. The only thing Id change if it was for me would be a small blade instead of the ID tag, but thats personal choice. I like dual purpose things, so something that cuts and scraps your firesteel, is win win.

I tried some pretty silly ideas for 'survival' wearables... some were so odd I never shared. I tried to take one of those space blankets and fold it long and thin, and use that for the core of a paracord belt. The idea was, most people wouldn't know how to make fire, but they could at least cover up if the had that... anyway.. didnt work. Your idea is much more practical. Good work.

My current passion is kydex, im working on an ultralight survival neck knife that has a few extra goodies.

Cheers and keep up the good work, putting survival into a survival bracelet.

#8 ·
Oh i forgot to mention before.. you have to do a vid of you using it to make a fire... good sales video I would think. Show how the weave is quick to unravel, how to use tinder etc...

Also.. you could snake that tinder cord inside a gutted 550 cord so it keeps the overall 550 look. Just tie it to one of the inner strands and pull it on through.

Cheers!

#11 ·
Thanks for all kind comments. I thought a lot about this before deciding to finally make a working version. This prototype is almost but not quite ready for prime time. Here are some of my thoughts and things I'm still testing.
1. I'm wearing this edc including while doing yardwork - I want to test the strength of the burned end retention on the toggle. Will it withstain or do I need a knot? I hope not to knot as it will add bulk.
2. The plate may need another iteration. I think rounder corners to start. maybe a bit more curve also.
3. Plate fastening: will jute wear and break too soon at plate edge?
4. If u have no knife can u get the scraper and jute off?
5. Test sling use and connections
6. Do a video!

As far as questions asking if this is for sale, first and foremost, I seek to exchange ideas and appreciate the input and criticism of this group of like-minded people! If you see most of my posts, I make how-to and DIY videos for just about all of my innovative creations. For folks who'd just rather spend their time on other pursuits but like my work, I do make and sell. Google my username sometime. My website will come up first.

#19 ·
3. Plate fastening: will jute wear and break too soon at plate edge?
4. If u have no knife can u get the scraper and jute off?
3. If you use a steel split ring - or other type ring connector - to attach the cord to the plate, and wrap the cord 2x through the ring before knotting it, it might cut down on the wear.

4. Would it be possible to affix a small blade on the back of the plate somehow?

I really like your design and would be one of the ones to buy it, if you ever decide to sell them.:thumb:

#25 ·
Ok, I'm gonna call this creation the B.S.B. (Best Survival Bracelet); "others are just B.S." ha ha ha no offense, it just came to me LOL.

I've got the perfect scraper - just arrived today. My bud from Artisian Attributes has send me a second generation scraper that more than addresses all my comments on the first one. I was prepared to sacrifice scraping ability for the "look" as long as I could indeed start a fire with it. I'm stoked that not only does this scraper look great on the bracelet, it actually generates sparks as good as any scraper I've used before!

I stripped down the original bracelet of jute and scraper. Rather than miss an opportunity to film; I create this video showing you how to "recharge" the B.S.B. (add fresh jute and reattach scraper after a use). Obviously, this is not intended to be your primary firesteel and scraper - you won't be doing this after every hike or camping trip I HOPE!

My next video will be showing the creation of fire with nothing else but this bracelet; no tools, no knife.

#38 ·
I've got the perfect scraper - just arrived today. My bud from Artisian Attributes has send me a second generation scraper that more than addresses all my comments on the first one. I was prepared to sacrifice scraping ability for the "look" as long as I could indeed start a fire with it. I'm stoked that not only does this scraper look great on the bracelet, it actually generates sparks as good as any scraper I've used before!
Have you thought of going with any other items for the scraper that might have an additional purpose... this weekend i thought of using a p38 can opener as it does produce spark with firesteel.

#26 ·
Nice job!! I look forward to seeing your demo. Looks like it will work out fine though. I've never used jute as tinder, I guess you just need to pull it apart? You've inspired me to make one for myself to try, but I dont have any ferro rods of that diameter. Is it at all hard to drill?

#28 ·
its like fourth of july when drilling! need a drill press to get it right; not much room for error.

Paracordist, I'm trying to look at your products page and after the balaclava loads the rest of the page fails and I get errors (wish I could cut/paste them but it won't let me) from google something about error linking to a spreadsheet. Take a look at it and see what you get.

Otherwise, good work, going on a short vaca Tuesday and will have to take some paracord and enjoy your vids :)
thanks; I checked it out and all is ok on this end. google "paracordist" and you'll see posts and other stuff of mine!

#27 ·
Paracordist, I'm trying to look at your products page and after the balaclava loads the rest of the page fails and I get errors (wish I could cut/paste them but it won't let me) from google something about error linking to a spreadsheet. Take a look at it and see what you get.

Otherwise, good work, going on a short vaca Tuesday and will have to take some paracord and enjoy your vids :)

#31 ·
I've seen quite a few 550 cord survival bracelets and other things but this one just beats them all. The innovation and integration of the jute, firesteel and scraper is genius.

I will be buying one.

EDIT: Just saw the webpage. superb products. I will also be purchasing a WWI Soldiers balaclava for myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.