Survivalist Forum banner

.22/.410

24K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  dirtyape 
#1 ·
Does anybody here have a 22/410 combo? Do you like it? I've seen a few around and I'm wondering how accurate they are. I don't really like 410 but a 20 would be nice. I'm assuming that you;d be better of with a rifle and a shotgun than trying to combine them. Your thoughts please

#3 ·
I bought my grandson a Rossi Combo set when he was born. 410 and 22. I went to several shops looking for a gun like this. The NEF 410/22 in my opinion was a very heavy gun. Way overbuilt for liability reasons probably. I discounted the old Stevens 24C. Back in the day I thought they were the ultimate gun. But several years back a friend who had also always wanted one found one , new in the box at a gun show.He bought it and by the time we got back to the car we were both complaining how heavy it was. Very heavy to carry for any amount of time.
The Rossi set comes in a carry case and even with scope added to the .22 barrel and some extra ammo throwed in the case , it's light enough to carry in it's complete form.
Were I to buy one for myself I think I might opt for a 20 ga and centerfire rifle combo of some sort. One caveat though- the rifle barrel accuracy will be affected by how you tighten the forestock screw down. Try to do it the same every time. I count the number of turns to get the screw tight and even put a witness mark on it.

#7 ·
I have a ruger 10/22 in stainless steel with plastic stock its nice and light.. add a scope on it and it makes it just as heavy as my other 22 that are wood stock and blue steel.. you can cut weight out of the stock would be the frsit place.. lighter scopes aluim gun instead of steel reciver mines painted silver I hate the look of it looks so bad I still like the wood look better..

#8 ·
Just yesterday I bought my son a Rossi 410/22 combo. I like it, Its light enough for him to hold and the 410 wont be too much and knock him on his azz. He's 6. The way I see it is he can have his own personal defensive weapon or hunting tool.

We havent shot it yet but when we do I'll report back with results.

#9 ·
I like the Savage 24.
Dad had one years ago in the farm in .22/20.
It was the orchard gun for years.
The .410 versions are OK but light for what we needed.
Dad liked the .410 but he was tightwad and the 20 shells are and were much cheaper.
I got to handle a Springfield combo survival rifle a few times.
It was light and handy.
I think I'd like to have one one O these days if I ever get rural again.

#10 ·
They make an adult sized stock version with three barrels. A 20 gauge, a .22lr, and a .243. With these 3 you can hunt anything in the woods. .243 is a nice long range round with low recoil.

Another option is the springfield M6. It's a .410 guage shotgun and .22lr in an over under combination. It is not heavy either. It also has the same style peep sight as a ar-15.

Savage 24's are nice, but a bit heavy. Remmington make their own version of the shotgun/rifle combination. They make it in .410/22lr, .410/22mag, or 12 gauge/.223.

#14 ·
DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT DO THIS.
The chamber is not designed to handle the pressures of a hot load 45 long colt.
Since I do reload I have ocassionally shot some very down loaded 45 long colt cartridges loaded up with Unigue and a 185 gr 45 semi-wadcutter but it was loaded to 410 chamber pressures.
I have a M-6 in the 410/22 Hornet mentioned and have found it a very useful pack carry long gun especially for someone like me that reloads ammo with the 22 Hornet I can load up a wide veritiety of ammo making every thing from a 45 long colt loading I mentioned to a hot or down loaded 22 Hornet makint it a more versital gun than the 22lr/410 version.

#12 ·
I've got the Savage 24 in both .22/20ga and 30-30/.20ga. The 30-30/20ga is the one I grab out of the two. I also have a Springfield M6 in .22/.410. That's one of my bug out guns along with a Ruger Mk I with a 10" paclite barrel and scoped. My M6 also is scoped.

If I have to go quick, I go for the M6 and the ammo selection I have with it. If I have an extra minute, I grab the 30-30/20ga and the ammo I have for it.

I've hunted with both and they're both excellent choices.

You can also get the M6 in the .22 Hornet but, I prefer the .22. I can use some CB22's and do a completely stealth kill. The hammer falling is louder than the round leaving the barrel. I can also carry standard velocity for a longer accurate shot or Stingers if I need to put a hurting on something.. Then there's the .410 with everything from 8 shot to BB, throw in some flechette rounds and a few flares and you're in business.

I'm definitely a big fan of combo's..

#15 ·
The .22 LR/20 bore is the far better gun as the .410 gauge shotshell is an underpowered cartridge (Hence low recoil) with hardly any pellets to get the job done...It is the worst gun to start youngsters on and is considered to be an experts gun on skeet fields...

Yes, 1,000s of kids started with them but going to a 28 bore gives you 4 to 5 times the pellets to hit with--improving confidence and with just a slight (very slight) bit more recoil...

Get it with a 3" chamber and you can load super mags to match 12 bore ballistics--just less pellets or put a 2¾" standard shell for a very soft recoiling gun with 10 times the pellets of the .410 gauge!

Accuracy of the .22 LR is open sights and that really depends on you and your eyesight...You might think of getting a detachable scope mount for it if rifle accuracy is a must...

There are many combination gun makers out there, all European (except Savage and Springfield) and you can also get three barrel version called drillings or four barrel jobs called vierlings...I have one vierling with 3 different rifle calibers over a single 16 bore shotgun barrels and another with 2 different calibers and 2 different bores...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.