Survivalist Forum banner

(when) will ammo prices go down again?

17K views 74 replies 43 participants last post by  nullzero 
#1 ·
What do you guys think? Will ammo prices go down again? And if yes, when? I've heard the ammo prices were sky high in the 80's, like a dollar a shot for 9mm.

Right now it's crisis, just like the 80's and ammo prices are sky high again. What do you guys think, will prices go down again?

#45 ·
Now with the military not selling their used brass and reports being written about them buying up excessive ammo I don't think that we are going to see the price drop for a long, long time.

Powder is also hard to find so I guess we need to load up on primers and get as many window weights that we can from old houses that are being torn down and get out the Gilbert Chemistry set that we all got when we were 12 and taken away 3 weeks later when we made some strange smelling substance that took a year to get out of the house.

Can anyone say crossbow? Quiet, effective, no paperwork and great for harvesting meat or guns and ammo from fallen target.

#46 ·
Now with the military not selling their used brass That was rescendedand reports being written about them buying up excessive ammo I don't think that we are going to see the price drop for a long, long time.

Powder is also hard to find so I guess we need to load up on primers and get as many window weights that we can from old houses that are being torn down and get out the Gilbert Chemistry set that we all got when we were 12 and taken away 3 weeks later when we made some strange smelling substance that took a year to get out of the house.

Can anyone say crossbow? Quiet, People scream... look at the differences of a blade vs a gunshot (Gunshot = shock)effective, no paperwork and great for harvesting meat or guns and ammo from fallen target.
... buy up .22's or 7.62x54R or something if you have nothing...

Couple cans of that will last you a LONG time. (You won;t be using a 5 shot boltgun unless everything else is used up)

#57 ·
The price of 9mm in the 80's I believe was more about supply. Before the military started to look at the 9mm to replace the 45 it just was not very popular or available here. As for now, with the Fed dumping dollars, and inflation looming, I think you can forget about ammo prices falling.:mad:

#58 ·
Yeah I do not think now we will see ammo falling at all. We may get a pause in the rise of price and a little more supply catching upto demand. Ammo prices had a chance to go down... but now with the way the FED is printing dollars :(. The massive inflationary actions the FED and Government are taking I do not think we will see anymore drops in the price of commodities. Oil and Gold are both moving back up due to these actions.

#59 ·
independent mindset..

all this talk lately is a perfect example of contrarian thinking,when they crowd is runnin this way,don't run with 'em..!A few years ago (most)everyone was involved in speculative real estate & nobody was thinking guns/ammo.The tables have turned & now is not the time to be runnin' to get scalped with high gun & ammo prices. :upsidedown:

#62 ·
One thing that might help them come down (in the distant future and assuming no further gov't regulation on it) is if the reloading supply manufacturers could catch up with demand. If more people can load their own then the ammo manufacturers *should* need to lower their prices to compete. Of course this is assuming much wrt free market capitalism. As long as the only place to get ammo is from major suppliers (and not reloading) the price can be held pretty high.

#63 ·
Just a guess but I think that eventually when all the people are done stocking up and everyone stops buying at the high prices the companies will either have to lower their price or go out of business then the people will buy again and the prices will rise much like a roller coaster has dips and climbs baring outside (political) influence of course

#65 ·
Nine months. MAX.

Then there won't BE any ammo to buy.

Because by the end of the year, I personally expect things to get REALLY BAD.

And ammo sales will be the least of your problems. GETTING FOOD will top the list, along with KEEPING THE FOOD.

Which is a circular way of saying, "If you ain't got it now, time is short" and I personally doubt that we will have things 'turn around' before then.

Study history. As a member of the gun culture for more than 35 years, I can assure you that prices will NOT come back down, until it's illegal to own a gun, much less ammo.

We are on the edge now. About to go over the cliff. Once we have gone over that cliff there will be no turing back. You will see it first OUTSIDE the USA.

Everyone INSIDE the USA will go 'Whew, glad I don't live there' and then where ever they are talking about will look WAY better than HERE IN THE USA in the long run. WHY?

Because if you live in a third world country, you don't have far to fall. THE USA? It's gonna be a LOOONG drop before we actually find the bottom. And you won't like the sudden deceleration when we DO HIT BOTTOM.

So, nine months. Probably less. I've been reading that some folks are expecting a 'banking crisis' by no later than the end of September. If that is true, then FORGET about it. You will have what you will have. And no amount of money, be it fiat (FRN's) or PM's (gold, silver, etc), will get you anything, because I'm keeping my stuff for me and mine. So will everyone else.

Oh, you didn't NOTICE things were going down the tubes before now? TOO BAD. GOOD LUCK.

just sayin...

#66 ·
If things get like that then most of the population will see it coming. There will be looting, rapes, suicides, and all kinds of turmoil. Society would turn into a wasteland. Not even the rich would have anything. So I seriously doubt it will get that bad, that quick. Quit trying to cause panic, cause there is enough of it as it is.

#69 ·
I think the internet is the worse place for buying ammo, but if you are unfortunate to not being able to find anything in your area I guess you have no choice. So you are stuck having to compete with every other Tom **** and Harry. As a result, prices are typically higher than what I have found on the shelves and you still have to pay shipping.

#70 ·
As a retired gunsmith, I have numerous friends that own gunshops.

Plus I know a lot of the other folks in the small world of the gun culture here in Denver.

I was talking to one of them and asked why they were selling their cases of 7.62x39 Yugo for $400.

His response was immediate. "Because we were worried that we would be out immediately. By raising the price, it slowed sales a little. We just don't know when or if we will get any more, so I'm trying to make sure I still have some in stock a month from now."

That was back in December. He ran out just before the end of the year. He had eventually raised the price to $450 a case and he STILL had folks buying two to four cases at a time, regardless the prices.

If you got yours, great. If you did not, good luck. Because so many folks finally realize that 'hey, maybe bad times are right around the corner and perhaps I SHOULD purchase a gun and some ammo, just in case'.

I heard this exact statement from a buddy of mines 75 year old mom. I also pretty much heard the exact same thing from my 80+ year old parents.

Time is short. Do what you feel you need to do to survive the coming storm.

#72 ·
Talked to a buddy of mine about a .22 pistol. We were talking about ammo shortages and he told me about Magtech ammo.

About a month ago, he got an email. THEIR ENTIRE INVENTORY HAD BEEN SOLD. Their warehouse was empty.

E M P T Y - no ammo left.

Everything they made was immediately shipped out. They cannot keep up...

That was one month ago. It ain't gonna get any better.

#73 ·
Yeah I've been checking around and what most would consider junk grade Wolf "classic" 7.62x39 recently had been selling for about $250 a case, on Gunbroker people must be trying to make a buck (or few hundred) cause A LOT of cases of this stuff is being listed for $400+. I've seen a few places that have .223 cases for $500 online.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.