Survivalist Forum banner

The many uses of Baking Soda

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  amcjavelinsst 
#1 ·
Was reading another thread, and thought of Baking Soda. Perhaps one of the most under valued preps we can have....

So, here is a thread with the many uses of Baking Soda. :cool:

Use it as underarm deodorant by applying it with a powder puff.

Mix half a teaspoon with peroxide paste and use it as toothpaste.

Use it as a face and body scrub.

Add a cup to bathwater to soften your skin.

Relieve skin itch from insect bites and pain from sunburn.

Remove strong odors from your hands by rubbing them with baking soda and water.

Put two tablespoons in your baby’s bathwater to help relieve diaper rash.

Apply it on rashes, insect bites, and poison ivy irritations.

Take a baking soda bath to relieve skin irritations.

Heartburn? Take a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with one-half glass of water.

Freshen your mouth by gargling half a teaspoon of baking soda mixed water.

Relieve canker sore pain by using it as mouthwash.

Use it to relieve bee stings.

Use it to relieve windburns.

Put out small fires on rugs, upholstery, clothing, and wood.

Sprinkle it on your slippers, boots, shoes, and socks to eliminate foul odor.

Wipe your windshield with it to repel rain.

Restore stiff brushes by boiling them in a solution of 1/2 gallon of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar, and a cup of baking soda.

Put it under sinks and along basement windows to repel cockroaches and ants.

Scatter baking soda around flowerbeds to prevent rabbits from eating your veggies.

Sweeten your tomatoes by sprinkling baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants.

Sprinkle it onto your cat’s litter box to absorb the bad odor.

Use it as a substitute for baking powder by mixing with it with cream of tartar or vinegar.

Wash fruits and vegetables with it.

When boiling a chicken, add a teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Feathers will come off easier, and the flesh will be clean and white.

Remove the distinctive taste of wild game by soaking it in a baking soda solution.

Make a sports drink by mixing it with boiled water, salt, and Kool-Aid.

Remove the fishy smell from your fillets by soaking the raw fish in a baking soda solution for an hour inside the fridge.

Make fluffier omelets by adding half a teaspoon of baking soda for every three eggs used.

Reduce the acid content of your tomato-based recipes by sprinkling them with a pinch of baking soda.

Add a cup to the toilet, leave it for an hour, and then flush. It will clean the toilet and absorb the odor.

Use it to scrub sinks, showers, plastic and porcelain tubs

Add a spoonful to your dishwasher to make scrubbing dishes easier.

Remove grease from pots and pans.

Boost your laundry detergent’s cleaning power by sprinkling a handful on dirty clothes.

Combine it with water to make a paste for polishing stainless steel and chrome.

Remove burned-on food from a pan by soaking it in a baking soda solution for 10 minutes before washing.

See less See more
#8 ·
I forgot we would fill the extinguishers on our pulling unit( a crane used in the petrolium profesion for pulling and lifting the pipes and pumping rods out of a well for repair, or closing of the well.) with Baking Soda in case we hit a gass pocket or set something on fire. then used a compressor the pump with air.

#6 ·
I knew (and frequently use!) quite a few of those. Gonna have to remember the fluffy eggs one!
Around my house, we buy baking soda in the large (pool-maintenance-sized) bags... We mainly use it for cleaning, but it also gets used for oral hygiene and deodorant as well. I also keep an old parmesan shake-cheese bottle filled with scented baking soda (I mix in a small amount of some sort of scented oil) for freshening the carpets, etc.

#7 ·
Baking soda can also be used with starch and vinegar to make plastic.... The baking soda affects how hard and brittle the plastic is.

You might want to look this up, but if I remember right it can also be added to glass in its molten state to make a harder glass as well, though apparently it raises the melting temp of the glass when it combines with it.

#10 ·
an old "biker" use for it...
WHen the snow first melts off the roads towards the end of winter, we are all dying to get out on our Harleys. but moisture from the road (with salt residue) can be murder on bikes with all our polished aluminum and chrome parts.
Upon returning home from a ride, we take a spray bottle filled with disolved baking soda in warm water and spray down the bikes. this neutralizes the salt that is corrosive to metal

#11 ·
Apparently good for detox of radiation poison in some cases. (never tried)
household cleaning ingredient(use it)
whitening and cleaning teeth (use it)
help to release baked on food on pans if soaked first (use it)

might even be able to be used in place of corn starch to make newtonian fluid for fun

#12 ·
Baking powder is made of baking soda, cream of tartar and cornstarch. So a person could make their own baking powder in a prepp by just adding the essential ingredients. Less powder and more soda in your prepps.

#15 ·
And, baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate.

In other words it is Sodium Carbonate with Water and Carbon Dioxide in it.

Remove the water and carbon dioxide by laying out on a baking tray, put into an already very hot oven, for say an hour, and you get Washing Soda.

You will be able to tell the differnce between fine powdery to grainy crystals.

In time it reverts back as it re-absorbs, just repeat.

Have Washing Soda, Borax and soap (castille? I think from memory - Lux flakes etc I s'pose) and you have home made washing powder.

Have a google gander at different ones.

Some may even also include some Bicarb as well as I think perhaps it helps to soften more so. Eucalyptus oil can be added whenusing.

Food blenders perfect to blend, after all you wash them in worse stuff than this all the time.

Keep airtight.

And keep on truckin'

Enjoy

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.