Survivalist Forum banner

Coleman Lantern

11K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Gunny Webb 
#1 ·
Does any one know if you can run these with unleaded?

I know that they are suppose to be white gas only but I cant imagine that the functionality would be that much different considering that there are other models out there that will run on white gas as well as unleaded gasoline.

Thanks!
V.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the generator(the thingie that vaporizes the fuel) is different in some models,...look for ones marked Duel fuel to use both.

Here's a mint 200A from 69 for your viewing pleasure.:D:
and a few others that are often used.

Attachments

#4 ·
I had one of those lanterns you pictured for many years when I was really into shore fishing. It was not one of the 'intentional' duel fuel lanterns but I used un-leaded in it with no problems at all. All I did was to every 4th or 5th trip, I would use the proper Coleman fuel, then switch back on the following trips to un-leaded again. I had no problems at all with it.

#10 ·
I too have ran that same type of lantern on both white gas and regular unleaded. The difference they say the generator will go out faster using unleaded. I have had 2 of those same lanterns for 23+ yrs and have yet to replace anything except the mantles. With the cost of white gas getting to $8 gallon, mine will probabely only see unleaded from now on. Its cheaper to run unleaded for 20 years and replace a generator than buy $8 fuel.

#11 · (Edited)
We use this one most.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73820?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=73820

Get the stuff bag, maintence kit, and two dozen of the small mantles. They are a special size and kind of mantle made for backpacking and can take a beating without breaking very often like most mantles. We have the mantles in a bag at the bottom of the stuff bag and carry the kit as well as a special polished aluminum reflector that when put on directs the light in only one direction. We also installed a flint striker so we never worry about matches or lighting it, which is way convenient.

We screwed around with all the stupid head lamps, LED lamps and battery garbage, and it is junk.

Fire this baby off in the woods and just like it says, its the same as a 75 watt lightbulb. (very nice to have in lion and bear country. they don't like the hiss and are scared of it if you chase them) Very disturbing to others at backpack camps so the reflector/director is highly recommended. Also if you break the glass you can still burn an open mantle inside the reflector in a pinch. We carry this and a duel fuel stove full and 1 liter in a nalgene fuel bottle and it lasts 2 1/2 days if we use them a lot on wasteful things like pots of coffee, Night light at 1/2 power, etc.

Once you try the best you will never go back. We take this one regular camping and the light output is double of the multi fuel military pr we have, with the four panes of glass in each.

If you fire these off in a backpack camp everyone will come over to BS and see what is going on, and what kind of lantern can be packed and light up that bright.

#14 ·
We use this one most.

URL Removed.

Get the stuff bag, maintence kit, and two dozen of the small mantles. They are a special size and kind of mantle made for backpacking and can take a beating without breaking very often like most mantles. We have the mantles in a bag at the bottom of the stuff bag and carry the kit as well as a special polished aluminum reflector that when put on directs the light in only one direction. We also installed a flint striker so we never worry about matches or lighting it, which is way convenient.

We screwed around with all the stupid head lamps, LED lamps and battery garbage, and it is junk.

Fire this baby off in the woods and just like it says, its the same as a 75 watt lightbulb. (very nice to have in lion and bear country. they don't like the hiss and are scared of it if you chase them) Very disturbing to others at backpack camps so the reflector/director is highly recommended. Also if you break the glass you can still burn an open mantle inside the reflector in a pinch. We carry this and a duel fuel stove full and 1 liter in a nalgene fuel bottle and it lasts 2 1/2 days if we use them a lot on wasteful things like pots of coffee, Night light at 1/2 power, etc.

Once you try the best you will never go back. We take this one regular camping and the light output is double of the multi fuel military pr we have, with the four panes of glass in each.

If you fire these off in a backpack camp everyone will come over to BS and see what is going on, and what kind of lantern can be packed and light up that bright.
Just saw this one in the gear store right here. This is a genuine independent recommendation and I would pick it up here from the folks that know the good stuff:thumb:

#13 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

Naphtha normally refers to a number of different flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons, i.e. a distillation product from petroleum or coal tar boiling in a certain range and containing certain hydrocarbons, a broad term encompassing any volatile, flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture.

Naphtha is used primarily as feedstock for producing a high octane gasoline component (via the catalytic reforming process). It is also used in the petrochemical industry for producing olefins in steam crackers and in the chemical industry for solvent (cleaning) applications.

I usually run premium unleaded fuel in my stove. Its less explosive than regular do to the higher octane. Its esentially coleman fuel.

As far as lanterns go....I just bought a black Diamond Apollo. I will never use a gas lantern again. I love it, all my buds love it. Its heavy duty, tiny, Bright as hell, has a battery level indicator. Runs on AA's for a couple days!!!:thumb:

http://www.rei.com/product/768658?c...-5283-DD11-873B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

#15 ·
coleman lantern

I have been using regular gas station gasoline in my lanterns and stoves for better than 20 years, even used army gas for some of the years. I have had no problems, also have duel fuel that I use also. Have a coleman kerosene lantern works good just a bear to get lit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.