Survivalist Forum banner

1911 or AR-15

6K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  Unobtanium 
#1 ·
If it were you, and you had an Ak, a Glock 19 and 26,, a 12ga and an AR lower, would you get a 1911 next or build your AR? $1k spending limit. Thanks for the input.

#10 ·
I'm with howyadoin on this one. you already have an AK and if you want a 1911 and you like tinkering get a lower cost, quality 1911 and modify it to your liking and then put the extra money into your AK. I have a rock Island 1911 that I dropped some choice parts in and then had my gunsmith accurize it and make sure everything was operating right. Now I have a 1911 that I have put about 850.00 in that shoots and handles better than any 1500.00+ pistol I've ever shot.

#31 ·
Really not trying to be a ****, but how many and which $1500+ 1911s have you shot that are sub-par to your RIA?

Edit - For for OP. I'm a 1911 elitist, but in your particular situation, finish your AR.

If you want to tinker, RIA or Ruger 1911 later let's you get in for cheap, and learn the system. $1000 1911s are a good starting place to get familiar with them, but in your case, doesn't make much sense, IMO.

#11 ·
Seems like a silly question to ask unless your trying to stir up a debate. You are the only one that can answer that question for yourself depending on purpose/want/need. However from a common sense standpoint you already have a major component with the lower receiver.

-Nate

#14 ·
What caliber were you thinking of building out your AR in? I think that would help answer the question... Personally I would build it out in .223/556 and later invest in other caliber uppers.. For me it's all about being able to shoot what I have or can take... "I mean get" when the poop gets weird(er).. Maybe you should trade the lower off for a nice pressure cooker while you still can, maybe I high capacity one 10/12 quarts or more are gonna get harder to find soon.

#17 ·
Depends on why you want an AR or 1911. I have both, and an ak.

I'd rather shoot my 1911 for enjoyment than my ar.
I'd rather shoot my ar than my ak for enjoyment.

I'd rather have my ar than my AK in shtf.
I like my 1911 over my other pistols (don't have a glock).

Shtf I'd have a glock and an ar.
Enjoyment I'd have an AR and A 1911.

I have a WWI Colt 1911 and a RIA 1911. RIA was $389 new online. Shoots like a champ, accurate, and feeds anything with no mods. Like it better than the like new WWI 1911.

You could get a $400 1911 and spend 600 to finish the AR... That's what I would do if I were you. My RIA shoots better than my buddies Kimber... Price is for snobs in the short term.

If I were you and I could only choose one, AR15.

#20 ·
AR build, in my opinion.

I like a good 1911, but for me it is more of a fun gun. The Glocks serve the intended purpose for me. Not beating on the 1911, just saying I'd prefer to have an AR over the 1911.

Hopefully parts will become more available at a better price again. If not, just place an order with a good place and wait instead of overpaying. I ordered some stuff in November that just came in. A few of my buddies have recently placed orders that they received pretty quick (not for the same quality of stuff I was waiting for, but it was just fine).

Either way, have fun and post up some pics when you can.

#21 ·
AK 47 or 74? What are you looking at as far as a finished AR? Target, XM, etc?

After shooting quite a few Kimbers, Springfields, Sigs, Colts, and my Taurus, I would not pay what most want for a "high end" 1911.

If you have a 47, and are looking for a lower cost AR to get started with........
For a $1k limit, I say go with a lower priced 1911 AND finish the AR.

If you have a 74, and/or want one of the higher priced AR's as a end result then I would choose a 1911 and hang on to the AR lower for a future build.

Lobo

#22 ·
Gotta say the 1911.
And furthermore, agree with whoever said to get a lower end one, and invest the rest in the ar.
I just picked up the Remington 1911 R1-it was less than 650$, and comes dead on outta the box, (shot a 1 inch grouping at 25 yds with the 1st mag-the gun is more accurate than I am)

#25 ·
If it was me, I would concentrate on the firearms that are already owned at this point, and not waste funds on any additional firearms, mags, ammo, etc....

Reasons........

2 handguns chambered in 9mm = :thumb:

The AK needs some company, so I would work on locating another rifle chambered in 7.62x39mm. ( #1 = another AK, #2 = SKS)

Note: If it was me, the AK would be chambered for 7.62x39mm

The funds for the above rifle would come from the (5.56mm) AR lower that I would sell off.

The 12 ga would stay, unless funds didnt allow for a 10-22.

11B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.