Survivalist Forum banner

1911 help

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bigbob25060 
#1 ·
So I loaded my RIA 1911CS on friday and when I relasced the slide with a full Mag in the hammer followed and the gun went off. Any ideas why and have any of you ever heard of this happening? Thanks

#6 ·
Sigh, why did you put a new wolf spring in it? Recoil spring last 100,000 rounds. Has there been that many rounds thru it?

The thing is, the slide and barrel has to be in sync and when you change the recoil spring, you speed up the slide, so now it's actioning faster than the barrel and apparently, in your case, the disconnnect and sear. I'd suggest putting the factory spring back in it and see if that helps.

#7 ·
Its called hammer follow
It can be caused by a few diffrent things.

Im sure there are a few people on this forum that are way more qualified on this subject than I.
But till they chime in...
are you sure that you didnt have your finger on the trigger when you loaded the gun
If so, thats the problem.

Have you done a function/safety check on this pistol

#12 ·
I was always taught to not "slam" the slide closed on a 1911 personally...I would in a critical situation, but I always use my off hand to slow the release down on my 1911's personally. I'm not saying there's not a problem, because there obviously is. I just wanted to pass this tidbit on and see if anyone else can verify they've heard this as well.

#14 ·
This possibly could have been avoided if you had run a complete safety check on the gun prior to loading it. A complete safety check involves allowing the slide to slam forward without a magazine. This is hard on the gun and is frowned upon by most "gun folks". It is not good for the gun but should be done ONCE.
RIA guns are not all that well built. Mine had a short disconnecter. I don't know why it never "doubled" or ran away.
As to your problem----over-all loose fit, poor sear contact. Just general QC seems to be lacking.
You can get bad products from any mfg but from what I've read RIA seems to have more than their share.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.