Survivalist Forum banner

Springfield 1911 or Ruger 1911?

6K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  BurntEyes 
#1 ·
So, I'm looking at getting myself a 1911 and I'm stuck between the Ruger and the springfield. Can anybody share some good knowledge that can help me decide or some of their personal experiences with these weapons? Thanks! :)

#4 ·
Can't speak for the Ruger, althought from experience with their other semiauto pistols I would expect them to be reliable and perform well within the parameters of the design, manufacture and craftsmanship.

I've had a Springfield GI 1911 for 15 years and it has been a good, reliable pistol. It has nothing fancy or extra in the offering as-is and that's the way I want it. If I drop it in the dirt I don't want to have to cry over marring to the finish or worry that it is somehow diminished.

Generally, anything added or changed to make it faster or more accurate takes away from the reliability in my experience. Some people's preferences are different and there are a number of these alterations from the original design that may enhance it to fit your wishes.

#6 ·
Ruger is a Fantastic company. I have looked at many 1911 s and shot a few. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 2. I think all companys make a pretty good product. You have to really break these guns in. I dont think any of them work flawlessly until you get a 1000 rounds down range. My .14 cents.:thumb: I am a 1911 addict.

#8 ·
I've had
Colt National Match
Rock Island GI
Colt Combat Commander (in 9mm)
And all of them were just fine. I now have a Argentinian "Modello 1927" (had it for more than 20 years and more than 10,000 rds through it) made in the US (serial # under 10,000) with a new Remington slide and a national match barrel and a few outside mods...
and an Armscor 1911A1-FS PS NP that's about 3 years old. I have been totally happy with all these pistols. But I think you all can figure out why I went to the Armscor. I don't have $600+ for a pistol that I can get parts for anywhere in the country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.