Survivalist Forum banner

**Ladies Section** Any Vegan preppers or allergic to food preppers?

8K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Kansas Terri 
#1 ·
Hey all, do I have a story for you! Listen to this little ditty.

Christmas Day I'm at the house with all the kids, and Danny. I'm making dinner and I had set out a Wisconsin walnut encrusted cheese log, ritz crackers, and egg nog.

Can you guess who went into anaphylactic shock?

Yup, me!

On Dec. 30th I went to the allergist and found out that I'm allergic to ALL MY PREPS, (except rice and beans).

I'm allergic to all grains, all meat, nuts and seeds, eggs, milk, some fruits (strawberry, banana) and some veggies (corn, peas, tomatoes, green beans) as well as soy.

So, I did an elimination diet and tried to slowly reintroduce stuff. Grains, nuts,eggs and milk are a definite no-no. I can tolerate sunflower seeds, so I'm stocking sunflower nut butter now, I can tolerate chicken in small quantities but beef is a no-no. I don't eat pork so no worries there. I haven't tried the fruits and veggies yet because I have to wait 3 days between exposures.

I gave away all the stuff I know I can't eat to my kids and will start on the fruits and veggies soon.

So, I remember there was one person on here prepping with kids with gluten intolerances but cannot remember who that was. I would like to read some of her posts to get some pointers. Does anyone know who that is?

I'm a vegan now so are there any Vegan preppers here?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am no doctor, so do not construe this as medical advise.....
Im guessin, you had been eating 'normaly' for years.
instead of tossing everything and trying to live off of rice and beans, I would dig deeper. It sounds to me like something triggered this. perhaps not extreme allergies to foods you were eating for decades.
have some basic blood work done. look for anything abnormal there. check the diabetic flags, see if you developed some level of 'the sugars'. check hormone levels, and anything else you & your doc can think of.
sudden onset of extreme allergies just doesnt seem right in my book. something trigered that episode, and you have to figure out what it was.
it could be something as simple as one ingrediant, perhaps a colorant or preservative used in one of the foods you ate.
I never blindly accept a doctors diagnosis if something just doesnt seem or feel right about it.

#3 · (Edited)
I had been eating that way for years you are correct; but what I didn't mention is that I had been covered in hives for the past 10+ years and they would actually become open sores that would not heal. I had them mostly on my arms. I never wore short sleeve shirts not even to bed. I had been to my GP and he told me I had "winter itch" and to put a cream on it. I did that and it subsided some but never went away completely. So, I was basically misdiagnosed.

The allergist took one look at me and knew "this is bad". I am lucky not to be dead years ago.

We did blood work and a patch test as well. I'm allergic to glues, parapben, rubber, and "fragrance", and some other addatives in makeup and such.

so, I switched soap, my lotion is coconut oil, laundry detergent, EVERYTHING has changed. My kids got all the soaps, shampoos, ect that I can't use anymore.
We did nuts and seafood in his office over 6 hours and both came back +4 positive.

So, I've actually been killing myself for years! I'm off all the foods I tested positive for and my skin is clearing, my mood and weight are getting better, I'm not as tired and I don't ache everywhere anymore.

I'm loving the way I feel now. But, I still need to prep and my garden is going to be HUGE this year so I can can a lot of my own fruits and veggies.

I've started prepping rice pastas and some vegan stuff that I can eat, just looking for ideas and friendship.

#6 ·
The allergist took one look at me and knew "this is bad". I am lucky not to be dead years ago.

We did blood work and a patch test as well. I'm allergic to glues, parapben, rubber, and "fragrance", and some other addatives in makeup and such.

so, I switched soap, my lotion is coconut oil, laundry detergent, EVERYTHING has changed. My kids got all the soaps, shampoos, ect that I can't use anymore.
We did nuts and seafood in his office over 6 hours and both came back +4 positive.

So, I've actually been killing myself for years! I'm off all the foods I tested positive for and my skin is clearing, my mood and weight are getting better, I'm not as tired and I don't ache everywhere anymore.

I'm loving the way I feel now. But, I still need to prep and my garden is going to be HUGE this year so I can can a lot of my own fruits and veggies.

I've started prepping rice pastas and some vegan stuff that I can eat, just looking for ideas and friendship.
Watch out for artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, and "natural" flavors (some contains soy). You'd be surprised at what and how much of what is in the grocery store and pharmacy contains some of this stuff!

#5 ·
I have a lot of food allergies, but since I am not allergic to fish or beef so I am not a vegan. None of my allergies are horrible, but I have found that if I do not vary my diet a LOT my nose gets stuffed up. Antihystamines do not work well for that, either, though I do keep benedryl in the house in case I get something worse than a stuffy head. If I eat any one food for several days in a row I do not feel well at ALL!

My preps are mostly what I eat anyways: beef (canned) and rice and such.

As a rule of thumb, I can eat any food about once a week, so one day I will have chicken and another day I will have eggs and a third day I will eat something with milk in it and so forth. I am allergic to all three, but I do not react to them unless I eat them too often

I can eat most vegetables, so I figure if it hits the fan I will eat a lot of stew and stir frys. That does not bother me, as I make a good stir fry!

#8 ·
Wow, bummer!! I don't have any experience with this, but I did read several articles on dehydrated or freeze dried tofu. Some vegan hikers love it.
There are a couple blogs that talk about dehydrating it yourself. Also, north bay trading company sells it.

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted on any new things you learn. You never know when it might become relevant to someone else.

#10 ·
I get hives as well but I've been told it's because of my thyroid. My dermatologist recommended use as bland things as possible for skin. I get Cetaphil -- it's not advertised much, but you'll find it in skin care in white bottles with blue font. I also use Dove for hair care and regular hard soap.

Can you eat nut butters? If so, they would provide needed calories and you can store them for awhile. You can dip veggies and fruits into them easily enough.

I actually shouldn't eat much soy so I couldn't go vegan, as many vegan "meat" products have soy in them. But if you can eat it, they do have soy jerky and such. It just costs more.

Nuts are a pretty good source of protein and store well. The only problem with them is the fat content, but it's the better kind of fat then what one would get than eating say, steak.

#11 ·
I actually shouldn't eat much soy so I couldn't go vegan, as many vegan "meat" products have soy in them. But if you can eat it, they do have soy jerky and such. It just costs more.
Thanks, I had not realized that!

I am moderately allergic to soy, so it is in my eat once a week list. I wonder sometimes about the soy sauce in my stir frys, but apparently the small amount that goes into my meal is not enough to bug me: I eat it twice a week instead of once.

#15 ·
I am a vegetarian prepper. Well, pescetarian, as I also dealt with pernicious anemia in the past, so a compromise is some fish and foods high in iron and b12. It's funny how many food prep information is about meat, but yet legumes are very healthy and easy to prep.

Good luck with your prep rebuilding.

#16 ·
Not vegan, but food allergies yes.

I'm a celiac, so wheat, barely, rye and oats are serious no nos. I eat grain free as a result. I also have an intolerance to eggs, so those are out as well. That sucks, because I LOVE EGGS. My youngest son is allergic to peanuts, so peanuts are no go. My oldest son has Down Syndrome and quite a few food sensitivities. I am also allergic to all artificial sweetners and Stevia. Allergic to Camomile, etc. I am lactose intolerant, so I don't really drink milk or eat a lot of lactose dairy. I can eat hard and aged cheese only and yogurt only in small doses.

My preps are....all over the board. I have to stock certain things because other people eat them even if I don't. And, in a serious SHTF, I know I'm not going to be able to eat paleo in my current environment.

#17 ·
I have a grass allergy, so no high gluten foods including wheat, barley, including rice etc. I can tolerate porridge and some rye but I still need to be careful. I cant have milk, cheese, eggs, pork, and peanuts so that counts out the entire legume family.

One thing I have found is you need to know your cookery. I found when I was totally Gluten Free (for 10 years) I would make a lot of lettuce wraps using them similar to sandwiches. I also experimented with soya flour in baking and so on.

The one thing I never got used to was not feeling full up, your constantly hungry which is a real pain.

#19 ·
I have a grass allergy, so no high gluten foods including wheat, barley, including rice etc. I can tolerate porridge and some rye but I still need to be careful. I cant have milk, cheese, eggs, pork, and peanuts so that counts out the entire legume family.
Huh? I thought legumes were peas, beans and lentils, in addition to peanuts.

http://www.nourishinteractive.com/healthy-living/free-nutrition-articles/120-list-legumes

Are you thinking an allergy to peanuts cuts out the other legumes? According to this website, http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/peanut-allergy, it doesn't work that way.

Weft

#18 ·
I may be wrong on the hypothyroid/soy link. According to the Mayo Clinic, you can have soy with hypo, but you just can't have it within 4 hours of taking your meds. I take my meds in the morning as directed, so I just have to have something else for breakfast, which is ok. I like granola and oatmeal. I just can't have any soy bacon/sausage or tofu scrambles.

Maybe I can eat less meat than I thought I needed to, which is good, because meat is getting expensive these days. I eat lots of beans and brown rice as it is, but I still eat meat a few times a week. I will still probably keep eating fish though, just because it's a. relatively inexpensive still and b. my parents retired on a lake, and my dad likes to fish. I would totally miss our fish fries in the summer months. And also, sushi is my favorite food besides chocolate. Yes, I'm weird.

Hopefully a pescaratian diet will help me lose some weight. Beans, at least, are mostly fat-free and high in fiber.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...m/expert-answers/hyperthyroidism/faq-20058188

#22 ·
I'm allergic to almonds, so I avoid granolas and most desserts.

#23 ·
Have been doing some reading up on hypothyroid lately. It appears that the research says to limit gluten as well as soy, and there are mixed reviews as to whether or not certain vegetables such as kale, spinach, cabbage, turnips, and broccoli need to be avoided entirely or just cooked. Strawberries were also in the list.

https://www.womentowomen.com/thyroid-health/goitrogens-and-thyroid-health-the-good-news/

So I guess I won't be drinking any kale smoothies for breakfast any more. Or eating bread, because I've tried GF and rice bread from the store, and it crumbled when I attempted to put butter on it. :/

OTOH, beans, rice, and lentil soup, yay! And apparently potatoes are considered gluten free as long as they're in their natural state, but I don't think I want to overdo carbs at all.

#24 ·
I stopped eating meat and most dairy for many reasons, but one of the first things I discovered is a bleeding blistering rash I had for nearly 20 years went away within 2 weeks and adult acne went away too. However, I seriously doubt someone can become “allergic” to so many things at one time, it's got to be something other than an allergy to these things, but more likely a breakdown of your immune system, the cause yet to be determined.

Eating a vegetarian or vegan diet will be the best thing for you, especially if you’re not feeling well or your immune system is compromised, but assuming you're allergic to the things you listed is (in my opinion) absurd and you should seek help from another doctor, perhaps a naturopath.

Yes, an elimination diet is a great idea but if done wrong, if not followed strictly, you can get skewed/incorrect/misleading results. And, you are probably allergic to the toxins in or on the food – you MUST eat ONLY ORGANIC or you’re not eating healthy, no matter what you eat.

So no matter what you do, no matter how careful you are with an elimination diet, you need to do two things in conjunction with it. You must first flush and clean your system with a full fast for at least 3 days (two weeks is best), then go on a rice or potato diet (eat nothing but organic rice* and/or potatoes and distilled water) for at least 2 weeks. Second, and from then on, eat nothing but organic food and drink only distilled water. Doing this is the only true way for an elimination diet to tell you what you can and cannot eat.

I’m not a doctor but guaranteed you eating only organic food and distilled water can NOT harm you.

* Choose a brand and type of organic rice that is found to have the least amount of arsenic. I prefer Lundberg brand organic white basmati, grown in CA - it was on a recent list with one of the lowest levels of arsenic.

#25 ·
I stopped eating meat and most dairy for many reasons, but one of the first things I discovered is a bleeding blistering rash I had for nearly 20 years went away within 2 weeks and adult acne went away too. However, I seriously doubt someone can become “allergic” to so many things at one time, it's got to be something other than an allergy to these things, but more likely a breakdown of your immune system, the cause yet to be determined.

Eating a vegetarian or vegan diet will be the best thing for you, especially if you’re not feeling well or your immune system is compromised, but assuming you're allergic to the things you listed is (in my opinion) absurd and you should seek help from another doctor, perhaps a naturopath.

Yes, an elimination diet is a great idea but if done wrong, if not followed strictly, you can get skewed/incorrect/misleading results. And, you are probably allergic to the toxins in or on the food – you MUST eat ONLY ORGANIC or you’re not eating healthy, no matter what you eat.

So no matter what you do, no matter how careful you are with an elimination diet, you need to do two things in conjunction with it. You must first flush and clean your system with a full fast for at least 3 days (two weeks is best), then go on a rice or potato diet (eat nothing but organic rice* and/or potatoes and distilled water) for at least 2 weeks. Second, and from then on, eat nothing but organic food and drink only distilled water. Doing this is the only true way for an elimination diet to tell you what you can and cannot eat.

I’m not a doctor but guaranteed you eating only organic food and distilled water can NOT harm you.

* Choose a brand and type of organic rice that is found to have the least amount of arsenic. I prefer Lundberg brand organic white basmati, grown in CA - it was on a recent list with one of the lowest levels of arsenic.

Some of your advice is valid, others not so much. It is extremely important to consume organic, however not all necessary food products are available in an organic form. Therefore, to have complete nutrition, it is necessary to occasionally eat non-organic items.

Not covered in your post is any mention of processed foods. Processed foods are horrible to the body and must be eliminated as much as possible. If you don't know what it is in a listing of ingredients, don't eat it. Eat as natural as you possible as you can. Refined flour and sugar are empty calories, don't really provide nutrition, do nothing to help with elimination, and are harmful to the body. There are wholesome and natural alternatives. Also, you don't say anything in your post about raw foods. Cooking pretty much negates most nutrition in food. At least a portion of food must be raw vegetables and fruits.

Rice is nutritious, but is typically a cooked food. Brown rice has a lower arsenic level than any white rice including Basmati. Brown has a shorter self life, however, than white. In any event, one can't possibly consume enough rice even if that's all they are eating to be damaged from the minuscule amount of arsenic contained in any form of rice. Apples contain arsenic too, but again, one could never incur damage from the small amount contained therein. Potatoes are a member of the nightshade plant, considered poisonous, but again in minuscule amounts. Potatoes are what constituted the entire diet of folks going to concentration camps during WWII, and yet they survived. There are other food items that fit this category as well, but considering the amount of the potentially harmful ingredient versus what levels represents a threat isn't a real factor.

Fasting can be injurious for certain people. Mini-fasts such as skipping a single meal is a much better approach for folks with certain maladies. Cleansing can be accomplished with other means such as enemas. Weaning oneself from prescriptions is another means of cleansing but must be done with caution and under supervision of someone in the health community.

Lastly, distilled water is devoid of naturally occurring minerals. Minerals, we know, are vital to the body and good health. Yes, we should ensure we drink non-polluted water to stay hydrated, but water must contain minerals and antioxidants in order to be healthy. Incidentally, while you're being careful to hydrate, don't dehydrate yourself by such liquids as coffee, tea, alcohol and soda as that's exactly the effect they cause. This is why you have to urinate immediately after consume such beverages.

It is dangerous to make sweeping statements when posting about what individuals should and shouldn't do regarding their own health.

#28 ·
You just described yourself, not me. Must have hit a nerve or else you wouldn't have had such a reaction. Ignorance is not bliss. Try learning instead of rejecting solid accurate and current information. Emotional much? Maybe you need to take a Midol. Hmmm. Whatever...goodgirl!

#29 ·
I have a few weird allergies...seafood, sulphates, soy. I also have a slight gluten intolerance that causes inflammation in my body (I don't totally avoid it, but I do limit it). Because of these, I avoid all processed foods (they load it with hidden gluten, soy and sulphates)

For the sulphates, I avoid wine (I do have an occasional glass), liquid soaps (laundry and body) and buy sulphate free shampoo (which I don't use much of because I rarely shampoo my hair). For body soap I use only bar soap (Ivory is the best, but can leave dry skin) and for laundry soap I buy powder (which is harder and harder to find).

As far as food is concerned, I buy only ingredients and make everything from scratch, that way I control the ingredients. It requires practice but it is the only way for me to truly control whether or not I am rashed out all the time.

Find a Paleo cookbook and buy the book Paleo for Dummies. They do eat a lot of meat, but all of their sides and non proteins are dairy and grain free. Also, there is a great dehydrator cookbook called (I think) The Ultimate Dehydrator Cookbook. I am amazed at what can be dehydrated and stored. The book gives you step by step instructions on dehydrating, storing and using what you store. I buy fruits and vegetables on sale and grow a lot in the summer and dehydrate.

For a solid protein (besides beans), look into Flax, Chia and Hemp seeds as well as Quinoa. All are good, shelf stable protiens.

#30 ·
Common sense is a wonderful thing.

Many people can fast, but it makes me sick and so I do not. Instead I spent a couple of days eating what the allergist said I was NOT allergic to (beef, wheat, and fish) and that simply had to do.

As long as I do not eat an allergy food every day I am good. So, while I can eat peanut butter, when I eat it I avoid it the next day.

Allergies are hereditary in my family: I am just lucky that my allergies are mild-ish, It is true I am allergic to an awful lot of foods, but the strength of my reactions is not terrible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.