Survivalist Forum banner

Any Preppers Want to be on TV?

5K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  OppositeofLove 
#1 ·
Hi guys - had something interesting happen yesterday and wanted to share.

Because I'm promoting my novel series "Flotilla", I get to meet people in the entertainment industry. Yesterday I was contacted by a show looking to showcase preppers in the Los Angeles area. I don't live there but agreed to ask all of you to see if someone was willing to go on the show and talk about their prepping skills.

Here's what they said they were looking for:

National Geographic Channel

Deadline: 7:00 PM PST - 3 September

Query:

The Numbers Game is a new series hosted by data scientist Jake
Porway about the science behind what really impacts our health,
well-being, and success. From mind-bending statistics, hilarious
man on the street experiments, and interactive game play, this
show delivers the answers to life's mysteries and gives viewers
tools to improve their everyday lives.

We are currently filming an episode titled, "Can You Survive?"
where we'll be talking about the science of survival.

For this segment, we want to feature a family that is fully
prepared for any kind of disaster and has enough food and water
on hand to support the entire family for 6 months or longer.
Ideally, we would like to feature a family that has a special
shelter or area of the house that is resistant to explosive
blasts, intruders, etc.

We will have the family give Jake Porway a tour of their shelter
and supplies, talk about their detailed survival plan, and share
tips about important survival essentials for our viewers.

This will involve one half day of filming at the family's home.

Right now, we would like to film the segment on Tuesday,
September 17th, but we can schedule the shoot date to match the
family's availability.
I responded back and we got to talking. They asked who I knew and I responded:

I can throw it out to the network of preppers that I know and see what comes back. I have to be honest with you, most of them are pretty hard-core and they're tired of getting made fun of by different prepper programs. You'd have to provide them with some assurances that their appearance would be tasteful and respectful.

Best,
Dan
Their response was:

Yes, I'm happy to talk with them personally. This is a science show that covers a broad range of topics. Its purpose is to be informative. :)
So ... as promised, I'm throwing this out to you to see if you'd be interested in participating. You can message me privately for their contact information. :)

#2 ·
and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get some over the top, Rambo wanna-be like they usually do. Find someone level headed that is willing to express things like "better safe than sorry", "short term preservation, just in case", etc...

Those shows tend to have idiots on there... hell, one of them shot his own thumb off. LOL

If you want to see a real prepper, watch those guys in Alaska or mountain men. They prep for 3-4 months and live off their reserves for the winter.

#11 ·
"mind-bending statistics, hilarious
man on the street experiments, and interactive game play,
"

What makes you think you wouldn't end up as one of those hilarious man on the street experiments? Think long and hard about this...and let us know if you convince anyone here to do it.

#16 ·
Well the last thing I'd want is for everyone to know where I live, what I have stored, where is it stored and chances are my stores would be everything they don't have or everything they would ever need. And since they would know my name, they would consider themselves darn near family and with family comes some bizarre twisted sense of entitlement when it comes to sharing my stuff.
Secondly while I'm sure Honey boo boo is a wonderful child from a wonderful family, the promoters of the show go to great lengths to promote her and her family as a bunch of back water, inbred, hillbilly hick hay seeds. So I'd rather have multi root canals during the next great antithetic shortage then subject myself to this type of train wreak reporting for the sake of a quick buck and a uptick in ratings.

Let's don't and say we did.........

#21 ·
I can already see what they're trying to do. Make a fool out of someone by making it look like everything they do is absolutely ineffective. Have a bomb shelter? Well we'll mock you by showing how if a 4 megaton bomb went off on the roof it would fail. Isn't this crazy prepper guy an idiot? He just totally wasted all this time and money on a worthless shelter. Oh, and when we bring in a fully armed swat team that knows his entire set up all his defense plans fall too. What a loser. Oh, and everything he's prepping for? Statistically impossible (for it to happen by the end of this week).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.