Survivalist Forum banner

1% preppers?

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  methemom 
#1 ·
Anybody know any of the "elite" 1% preppers? Is their approach any different? Sometimes you hear interesting things from unexpected sources. Apparently even some leftist Hollywood indicate they recognize the fragility of civilization and the need for prepping and even a BOL!! :eek:

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews....-work-out-in-preparation-for-the-end-of-days/

Many well-known financial people talk about the bad times ahead, including Robert Kiyosaki from Rich Dad Poor Dad fame (he even openly talks about the need for food, guns, water, ammo, etc). Obviously there are many others

Other than the uber rich, anybody know other 1% preppers? Do they approach things the same way or differently? Rely too much on high tech stuff? Or do they have the financial means to really do it "right"?

Just curious.....

In that book One Second After they make the rich look pretty bad and they get wiped out.

#4 ·
There's another couple of threads on SB about people in the financial sector resigning -- no official word on whether they're "bugging out" or not.

Years ago Ted Turner allegedly purchased a large tract of land in the northwest...Montana IIRC. I know he has a herd of buffalo which supplies his restaurant(s) in the metro Atlanta area. Would he qualify as a "1% prepper"? (No, I don't know him personally. Not sure I would want to...)

#9 ·
I believe he has a lot of property outside of Helena, I think it was section 360...but I won't swear to it, anyway, my husband and other's regularly saw guys on atv's hazing the elk back up onto his private property a few years back. One of these days we'll hear about some "crazy hunter" taking pot shots at those "poor guys" just out for a ride, or some other BS, when really they are the law breakers, unfortunately Mr. Turner and his employees seem to be immune to these laws.

#8 ·
I can not pin down the definition of a 1%er, but I know lots of truly well off folk. These people own farms and businesses worth $1-5M, or they have advanced degrees and yearly incomes over $100k.

Their net worth (subtracting debts) is well above the point that they can not spend it all on themselves during their remaining lifetime. Millions will pass down to their kids and far too much will get stolen in taxes.

Many of them are currently selling stocks and bonds and buying small farms, ranches, guns and security items, food, and precious metals. They are preparing exactly them same as you are. Except they are often stacking thing deeper and building the walls of their rural homes out of concrete.

Not one of them became wealthy by stealing it from others and most still work long hours at their profession.

I believe all of the crony corruption and outright robbery is being committed by politician, bankers, and the uber wealthy multigenerational families with personal fortunes of over $200 million. Save your rope for Fienstein, Pelosi, Bush, and the Kennedy clan.

#13 ·
I don't know of any personally, but a client of mine that is a prepper told me a story about a Texas oil guy building an impressive concrete compound near his cabin Idaho. The guy was beyond wealthy but not a well know name in normal circles.
Lots of water, food and munitions were going in to this compound. Supposedly a bug out for this oil guy along with a couple additional families. My client said he spoke with some folks that worked on the construction and there were supplies to last several years within the compound. This guys plan is to fly from Texas to Idaho when shtf.

#15 ·
The Bass brothers make no bones about the fact they have been prepared for a long time. if you don't know who they are think of Walt Disney, ABC etc. They are the Nephews and their kids of Sid Richardson an old Texas Oil man. They took Sid's fortune and made it even bigger. I have seen the one compound and it is something else. Good people and pretty conservative. If you wonder about Disney and ABC you have to remember they know how to make money and stay out of a good business deal.

#16 ·
Texas Billionaires by rank world wide:

Texas billionaires by ranking
Listings include rank, name, age where known, wealth in billions of dollars and source of the money. (Some billionaires share the same rank.)

Texas
8. Michael Dell, 42, $17.2 billion, Dell
15. Alice Walton, 58, $16.1 billion, Wal-Mart
39. Dan Duncan, 74, $8.2 billion, energy
43. Harold Simmons, 76, $7.4 billion, investments
49. Robert Rowling, 54, $6.4 billion, oil and gas, investments
57. Robert Bass, 59, $5.5 billion, oil, investments
76. Henry Ross Perot, 77, $4.4 billion, computer services, real estate
82. Ray Hunt, 64, $4 billion, oil, real estate
91. Richard Rainwater, 63, $3.5 billion, real estate, energy, insurance
105. David Bonderman, 64, $3.3 billion, leveraged buyouts
117. Lee Bass, 51, $3 billion, oil, investments
117. Sid Bass, 64, $3 billion, oil, investments
117. T. Boone Pickens, 79, $3 billion, oil and gas, investments
130. Richard Kinder, 63, $2.9 billion, pipelines
135. George Mitchell, 88, $2.8 billion, Mitchell Energy
161. Mark Cuban, 49, $2.6 billion, Broadcast.com
165. Edward Bass, 62, $2.5 billion, oil, investments
195. Charles Butt and family, 69, $2.3 billion, supermarkets
261. Paul Foster, 50, $1.9 billion, Western Refining
297. Thomas Friedkin, 72, $1.6 billion, Gulf States Toyota
297. Billy Joe "Red" McCombs, 79, $1.6 billion, radio, oil, real estate
317. John Arnold, 33, $1.5 billion, hedge funds
317. Andrew Beal, 54, $1.5 billion, Beal Bank, real estate
317. Gerald J. Ford, 63, $1.5 billion, banking
317. Christopher Goldsbury, 64, $1.5 billion, salsa
317. Timothy Headington, 57, $1.5 billion, oil, investments
317. Jeffrey Hildebrand, 48, $1.5 billion, oil
317. Joseph Jamail Jr., 81, $1.5 billion, lawsuits
317. Jerral "Jerry" Jones, 64, $1.5 billion, Dallas Cowboys
317. Robert McNair, 70, $1.5 billion, energy, sports
317. William Moncrief Jr., 87, $1.5 billion, oil
317. Trevor Rees-Jones, 57, $1.5 billion, oil
317. Fayez Sarofim, 78, $1.5 billion, money management
317. Todd Wagner, 47, $1.5 billion, Broadcast.com
361. Anne Windfohr Marion, 68, $1.4 billion, inheritance, oil
380. Thomas Hicks, 61, $1.3 billion, leveraged buyouts
380. Kenny Troutt, 59, $1.3 billion, Excel Communications

#17 ·
my parents worked for an extremely wealthy man. he owned a small mansion (8 bedrooms, 4 baths) with 4 guest cabins, a 40 plus acre lake and 4 square miles of woods in northern Wi. my parents were caretakers of the estate. they maintained the house for him, raised poultry and butchered it for his freezer, and caught fish in the crystal clear stocked lake and cleaned it and put it in his freezer as well. On at least 2 weekends a month he or some of his family would appear with guests. Then my parents also acted as chauffer, maid, butler and cooks for the guests, and cleaned all the houses and cabins when the guests left. The guy probably could have lived there year round in one of the cabins if he had no other resources in a shtf episode but without my folks and/or other employees to take care of him he wouldn't have made it. didn't know how to do things for himself.
not a prepper just a really wealthy guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.