Survivalist Forum banner

Misfit survivalists – Global Warming, Peak Oil and Liberals

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Crutch 
#1 ·
After spending some time here on the site I have got the feeling that there are some subjects are not allowed to question. One of the most obvious is Man-Made Global Warming, a threat that very few seem to believe exists. I feel that there is an increasing amount of people how prepare for crisis and disaster how prepare because of threats like a combination of Global Warming, Peak Oil and the depletion of natural resources. Movies like Michael Rupperts “Collapse”, “Home”, A Crude Awaking” and “The End of Suburbia” is probably some of the influence. Scholars from universities like Jared Diamond author of “Collapse How societies choose to succeed or fail” and Joseph Tainter author of “The Collapse of Complex Societies” are two examples of people how also seem to have a great influence. Neil Strauss the author of the famous book “The Game” has also written about how he became a prepper/survivalist in the book “Emergency”. My point is that we seem to have allot of new people how are opening up their eyes to threats that does not fall into the threats that normally motivates survivalists. There also seem to more people from different political views how engage in survivalism/prepping.

I often get the impression that we have a very hard time seriously debating these issues instead of trying to learn from each other. What new trends do you observe in survivalism/prepping? And can we all get along even if we don’t share the same political and religious views?

See less See more
#6 ·
Ammo and arsenals can't solve the climate issue therefore the climate issue does not exist.
Ammo and arsenals can solve the climate issue if the climate issue is only a pretext to take our ammo and arsenals away! I suppose there are reasons to view the climate issue differently, but if I can view it in a way that is amenable to my preferred tool, its kind of hard to see it any other way
/sarcasm

#4 ·
After spending some time here on the site I have got the feeling that there are some subjects are not allowed to question. One of the most obvious is Man-Made Global Warming, a threat that very few seem to believe exists. I feel that there is an increasing amount of people how prepare for crisis and disaster how prepare because of threats like a combination of Global Warming, Peak Oil and the depletion of natural resources. There also seem to more people from different political views how engage in survivalism/prepping.

I often get the impression that we have a very hard time seriously debating these issues instead of trying to learn from each other. What new trends do you observe in survivalism/prepping? And can we all get along even if we don’t share the same political and religious views?
Personally, I try to prepare for possible crisis events that may happen. Things that are supported by both personal observation and by unbiased data. I am an engineer and data speaks far louder than theories, particular the theories of an environmental activist.

I do not accept the reports of the IPCC as proven because the raw data does not support either their fundamental assumptions or their conclusions. In fact, I think there is sufficient data to charge these politically motivated activists with criminal fraud. I have not forgotten the emails linking the Hadley center, the IPCC, and James Hansens official world temp chart. They wanted to clearly show a warming trend, so they dry labbed the data to support their prior positions.

We could easily get along if we focus on personal observation and data. We are not going to get along if we argue corrupted data or un supported theories.

Ps, the climate has been cooling for 10-12 years. Deal with it.

#7 ·
The problem with climate change is that it's backward science. The conclusion is already presented and then evidence of it in science is searched for.

See according to the environmentalist man is killing the planet and needs to be stopped. One of the problems with CO2 emissions is that it causes plants to grow faster, giving off more oxygen. So that part of science is ignored while trying to get the USA and Western Europe to stop using so much fuel. The object is to turn our country back into some third rate nation while allowing third world countries to prosper.

To me it's more of the Marxist, social justice, redistribution of wealth mentality then based on all the sciences.

If you look at the history of the earth over time there have been numerous periods of cooling and heating, none man made. That doesn't fit the objective so it's ignored too. What's being passed off as science is a very myopic view.

And if peak oil does happen it will naturally correct itself by folks having to live a simpler lifestyle, much less toys being made because of costs, and the world retreats back to pre-industrial revolution time. Problem is that it wasn't all it's cracked up to be.
The streets of major cities were filled with horse poop. Sanitation and water quality were nonexistent, as well as longevity of life being much shorter.

And what I've seen from all the proposals on reducing carbon emissions it won't have any effect short or long term on the levels. But it will destroy this country. We'll be much like any other third world country with plenty of poverty and higher death rates.

#8 ·
Belief in global warming is not the point of this thread people. Its about getting along and exchanging information on surviving. Regardless of what you prepare for, the preps are mostly the same. We can expect many of the same things to happen no matter what the diaster. Furthermore, I think that this board does do a good job of supporting each other in sharing knowledge anout prepping and learning skills.

P.S. For the record. I don't believe in man made climate change. I think it is a plot to increase scientific funding and slow the first world economies.

#10 ·
After spending some time here on the site I have got the feeling that there are some subjects are not allowed to question. One of the most obvious is Man-Made Global Warming, a threat that very few seem to believe exists. I feel that there is an increasing amount of people how prepare for crisis and disaster how prepare because of threats like a combination of Global Warming, Peak Oil and the depletion of natural resources. Movies like Michael Rupperts “Collapse”, “Home”, A Crude Awaking” and “The End of Suburbia” is probably some of the influence. Scholars from universities like Jared Diamond author of “Collapse How societies choose to succeed or fail” and Joseph Tainter author of “The Collapse of Complex Societies” are two examples of people how also seem to have a great influence. Neil Strauss the author of the famous book “The Game” has also written about how he became a prepper/survivalist in the book “Emergency”. My point is that we seem to have allot of new people how are opening up their eyes to threats that does not fall into the threats that normally motivates survivalists. There also seem to more people from different political views how engage in survivalism/prepping.

I have no idea what new trends to expect since I have only been prepping for 18 Months.

I can get along with most anyone if I have to, if TS does in fact HTF I don't think many will be arguing about politics...it will be simple survival for the topic of the day.

The types of people I will avoid at all cost are:

1) Self appointed leaders
2) The know-it-all's
3) The teacher who instructs but never seems to works

and I don't care what their politics are, if they will work and do their fair share and doesn't run their mouth...we'll be fine

#11 ·
I have spoken at length with geologists about this, have seen the evidence they marshal in support of the arguments of man-made global warming. I find it pretty convincing.

But then, I see things about sun activity and ask to what extent that might be contributing to warming, independently of human activity.

So I'd like to think I'm open to thinking. In my opinion, a lot of people who are CERTAIN about these things seem to be not thinking much at all.

I look at both evidence FOR and evidence AGAINST things. I feel most people--even some on this forum, perhaps--look for sources of information to confirm their biases, not information to learn.

#12 ·
Personally, I don't care what drove folks to thinking about survivalism, or what event they are actually preparing for. The more the merrier. Trying to guess at what's going to cause the collapse of society is just that, a guess. Whether it's political, environmental, economic, social, religious, or just a sense of paranoia.

The outcome should be the same for all groups. And just being a little more prepared for any and every thing makes for a better society. But when we see store shelves being emptied every time the weather man calls for snow it would seems that survivalist/preppers are still an insignificant minority. Most folks, not just in this country, but worldwide, have no plan for the future, if something unusual comes up.

To me it's a process, and never ending. Once you start you'll never feel that you've got all the bases covered. You work on your weak points and hope nothing bad happens, but know it could, in an instant. There are so many natural and man made events that can reek havoc that it's almost impossible to prepare for all of them.

But at least some are trying and that's better then not trying and hoping for someone else to bail you out.

#13 ·
I'm kinda dumb about all this , I mean I put stuff away and do the best I can to preserve things for the future, but in the long run I may not be here to deal with it all.
The over all preservation of life on this planet is a very big burdon to bear, and if all my preperations end up in some one elses use , at least some one will derive life from the effort.
If a man accumulates only to him self and dies , some one else is going to find it any way. If you are visable and can be traced to your supplies, desparate people have nothing else to do, you will be forced to make a decision.
In the long run, if the government is colapsed another government will emerge, bet on it. I've played the senario over and over , we are a nation dependent on shipping . Our food and goods all come from some where else. I would bet many here can't even sew their own clothing , or make a pair of shoes.
Skills to servive are nothing if the future requires skills to rebuild a nation. Notice kits for building things or people learning how to resore things are all dissapearing . no one is interested in learning to build much , except a few , they who do are the exception not the rule. Some here might think they could restore an engine , but if the local chief auto parts is gone your done. Very few mechanics know how to rebuild a generator or alternator , even though they went to school and did it once they have soon forgotten how by now.
If I had the resources to build a walled city, the prerequosit for entry would be marketable skills . not even gold nor money is of any value neither of it is eatable nor make decent housing nor protection from the elements or dangerous creatures,nor offer communication . posessions are not of much value as an individual , charicter and skills make a controbution to the whole community.
Unlike in the 13th century people taught only their family the skills they made a living at, the sharing of skills would be done in the best interest to the whole community.
I coiuld see a charter be drawn, and all concerned, would sign the issues they agree on, and why. And state why, if they disagree. as a matter of public record. only adults would be required to vote , and adult would be one whom makes a significant controbution to the community, in the use of their skills. Age is not aplicable. Dependents cannot vote. Those whom become a danger to the community are put out side the gate . Trust must be earned.
Farming would be done inside and out side the gate, Just like the castles in the 13th century, thieves and murauders will come any way, bet on it . But defences would be in place to neutralize them. Defending a structure is one of the hardest thing to do .
And this is but a pipe dream.

#15 ·
Perhaps we could have a forum like 2012, wherein people who think there may be global warming, and consequences, could discuss the issues. Like if the sea level rises you should move away from Miami. And be prepared for refugees from Bangladesh. And what to do about saline intrusions in coastal water tables?

If we actually did have global warming, with major economic and social upheavals, then those who denied it would be called "sheeple".

#16 ·
I think it makes sense to consider long term changes in the climate in your survivalist plans. I choose to locate in the Ozark mtns because I am convinced global temps peaked in 1998 and have been dropping ever since as solar activity drops. If I had believed in global warming, I would have bought farm land in Wisconsin or the U.P.

Study the data and make up your own mind.

#17 ·
I've always thought Eugenicists are cheaters. They can't loose. The only thing they want is for there to be less people.

If they through manipulation, power, or some evil plan, they manage to start killing us off they win. If we are wise to their plans and we rise up and kill them, they still win.

Less is still less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.