Crappy weather, maybe hail and a tornado threat - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 06-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,040 Times in 5,329 Posts
Default Crappy weather, maybe hail and a tornado threat

Advertise Here

This morning, my wife told me there was a chance of a hail storm. It was a beautiful day and I wasn't really worried. About an hour ago I could hear thunder. Since then, the storm came in fast. Now it's overcast and lots of thunder.

According to the local weather- Biggest threats are Flash flooding, damaging winds and a weak tornado (highest threat is western Connecticut). I knew there was some connection between hail and tornadoes, but never really understood why.

Closing thing up a bit and I'll wait it out. The wind has picked up a lot. This front is coming in fast. Not really worried about a tornado since they rarely skip across the higher elevations, but still a bit of a worry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Survivor

The wind is dying down. I heard one tree go back in the back pasture. Checked it out- it actually for once didn't hit the fence. I try to talk to my neighbors about some trees, and offer to pay to have the work done, and tell them they can even keep the wood. Only managed to get that done maybe twice.

Lost one branch in the yard. Still lots of thunder though and it feels weird out there. Even the horses are acting strange. But maybe it's blowing by fairly fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,386 Times in 3,538 Posts

Sounds like a Texas shower. We had a squal line come through this morning, early. Not much wind, but we got 2" of rain in 30 minutes.

Baton down and stay safe..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:

Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Totally grumpin'

Thanked 53,924 Times in 12,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfScout View Post
The wind is dying down. I heard one tree go back in the back pasture. Checked it out- it actually for once didn't hit the fence. I try to talk to my neighbors about some trees, and offer to pay to have the work done, and tell them they can even keep the wood. Only managed to get that done maybe twice.

Lost one branch in the yard. Still lots of thunder though and it feels weird out there. Even the horses are acting strange. But maybe it's blowing by fairly fast.
Ew God I hate that feeling. It gets you all the way to the core of your being.

I hope by now your weather is calm again.
The Following User Says Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 02:59 PM
The Mom

Thanked 2,476 Times in 756 Posts

Wait aren't you near me somewhere? I'm in SW CT. I wasn't expecting the storm til later. I hope I have time to run home and get my plants inside before it hits!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MickeyCJS For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,500 Times in 3,150 Posts

We in Nwestern CT are not looking forward to the storm although, we could use some rain.
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,584 Posts

Hail is associated with tornadoes because rain droplets get blown back up into the storm where they freeze. If the wind is strong they get blown back up several times, or stay up there, collecting more water on them to freeze some more. The stronger the wind, the bigger the frozen drops (hail stones). When they're finally too heavy for the amount of wind, they fall. Tornado winds are strong enough to keep it up there a while. I understand the biggest hail stone confirmed in the US was just over 8 pounds.That takes about 250 mile per hour winds to keep up in the air. Obviously tornado speed wind.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 145,054 Times in 42,692 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Sounds like a Texas shower. We had a squal line come through this morning, early. Not much wind, but we got 2" of rain in 30 minutes.

Baton down and stay safe..
We just had one here. Not as much rainfall as you got, but it did have to choose a 104 degree day to do it. Now it feels like a sauna. And it's supposed to get hotter in the next day or two.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Survivor

It totally died off for a while. Actually got sunny and somewhat clear again... for a while.

Then the wind picked back up, the skies turned dark again and the rains came. We lost power once of twice although not for long. Cable TV went out along with my internet.

Walked the property this morning and no more downed limbs, trees or anything. I checked the news this morning. There wasn't any reports of hail and no tornadoes reported that I found.

But I knew the rain was heavy since even our horses went inside their shelters and they rarely do that; they prefer to be out when the wind is howling so they can watch for predators.

The ground is actually pretty dry; I guess the rain was so heavy, most of it just ran off. That's why gentle rain for an hour or two a few times a week is better than things like this. The water has a chance to soak in a bit. The neighbor has a few large branches down around their place.

Turns out it was much ado about nothing. As usual, the weatherfolks were obviously wrong in their first reports.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfScout For This Useful Post: