Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you could move one other place in the world to prep besides the USA, where? Everymanalion Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 87 Yesterday 10:07 PM
Should I ever move back to NY ? Plasma1010 New York 41 Yesterday 06:16 PM

Old 06-18-2017, 11:38 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermiform View Post
If you find yourself on the ground afterward, GET UP.

Don't go fetal, GET BACK ON YOUR FEET and get away where you can reassess. Don't stop moving until you've identified ALL the threats. Realize there is a good chance that MORE are coming now that you are dazed.

The main thing is don't stay on the ground unless you can convincingly play dead.

Bad things will happen to you on the ground.

GET UP!
This actually would depend. If I just got dropped with a sucker-punch, it would depend on the damage at that point. Since I'm still conscious (in this scenario) and able to get up, it still might not be the best option. Not all knock downs are the same. I've been knock down a few times, and it's better to assess the situation first and see how much damage I took....and maybe recover while on my back.

This is where it's crucial to train BJJ. It's actually pretty easy to defend against a single attacker while on the ground just as long as you're on your back and always facing them....w/o letting them get on the outside of your legs..... by controlling their distance and forward movement by foot jabbing at their knees and thighs to setup upkicks to the face, which are pretty easy but very powerful & effective. Just don't let them get side position or full mount or right on top of you to stomp on your head.

If you find out it's more than 1, then being on the ground is bad. But getting up right away may set you up for a knee to the face or more punches and kicks to the head, etc. And learn the "technical standup" from BJJ.
The Following User Says Thank You to KravMagoo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Prepared

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPreps View Post
So as others have said, by definition the sucker punch wouldn't be something you'd see. But, you did say you'd have a brief moment, so... if I had the presence of mind to do it I'd just try to move away and also try to make it more glancing blow. Then I'd run if possible to get distance. After that, if I had no choice but to fight, then ok, that's that.
And we have a winner to the question. Systema training: Step away from the punch. It lessens the impact while creating distance to at least try and parry.

In second place were those who recognized that if you put yourself in a position to be sucker punched you are one dumb, stupid SOB to begin with and so you probably don't have the sense to step back anyway. That goes back to situational awareness.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 AM
Target Shooter

I think some are missing what the OP is asking

For whatever reason the punch is inbound. So advice on situational awareness, not getting into fights, going to church on sunday whatever has no bearing since its already failed in other words. He wants to know what movements work best once the worst has occurred.

And it can still be called a suckerpunch or attempted suckerpunch, even if you see it coming in, since its been thrown from nuetral position without provocation.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixtus For This Useful Post:

Old 06-19-2017, 02:27 AM
Cool dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
I think some are missing what the OP is asking

For whatever reason the punch is inbound. So advice on situational awareness, not getting into fights, going to church on sunday whatever has no bearing since its already failed in other words. He wants to know what movements work best once the worst has occurred.

And it can still be called a suckerpunch or attempted suckerpunch, even if you see it coming in, since its been thrown from nuetral position without provocation.
It sort of depends on the direction and type of the attack. Cross, hook, haymaker etc

Playing the percentages I'd guess most sucker punches are right hooks or haymakers from the side or rear.

Pretty much all you can do is cover up, get off the x and retaliate ferociously.

I'm no soldier, but isn't the best course of action in an ambush to charge?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 AM

I can relate this incident to see if it helps the OP. In high school a group tried to arouse a guy into fighting with me over his girlfriend I had spoken to quite innocently. He approached me in the cafeteria with his mouth spewing threats. Here's what I did to defend against a sucker punch I suspected might be coming:

I increased distance by leaning back slightly against the table behind me, which also tensed my abs and gave me a fulcrum from which to leap forward. Next, I folded my arms across my chest so they would be close to my face to block the punch and then strike with the other hand.

As frequently pointed out, there is no defense from most sucker punches, but this allows you to be prepared to defend against the SP preceded by a verbal confrontation, as is often the case.

I have since thought that the crossed arm with the hand on the chin position, like a college professor pondering a question, might be a good posture to assume in this situation.
BTW, there's a humorous ending to the story I won't go into in this post.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnGlock For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ruger View Post
And we have a winner to the question. Systema training: Step away from the punch. It lessens the impact while creating distance to at least try and parry.

In second place were those who recognized that if you put yourself in a position to be sucker punched you are one dumb, stupid SOB to begin with and so you probably don't have the sense to step back anyway. That goes back to situational awareness.
Are you the Unibomber or something? Most of us live among other people and can't just act all weird and tactical-cool while in public, at the store, etc.... at all times. The last time I did 2 rolling somersaults through the automatic doors at Safeway, someone called the cops on me....the nerve of them.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM

sucker him first. When you know you are going to have to fight, use body language, open palms displayed, high voice, etc. to "disarm" your opponent, then 45 degree angled uppercut-hook with dominant hand to jaw. He goes down, you finish him off. Say he pushed you to law enforcement if they show up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fertig For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Certified Organic Grower

Thanked 9,905 Times in 3,155 Posts

This has been a very humorous thread so far, thanks!!
Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 20,436 Times in 6,753 Posts

Apparently, some of you haven't been sucker punched before. The whole point of the punch, is to get that first hit in before they can react. Sooo, you'll most likely be seeing if you can take a punch before reacting. The only possible reaction would be to tilt your head so they hit the top where it's hardest.

I've had this happen to me one time. I was in the service and we just got back from being in the field for 30 days. My squad was all BS'ing and cleaning our weapons when in stereotypical fashion, this one guy popped off with something smartass. AND, as usual, I retorted with my own smartass reply. Well, apparently, this didn't sit well with him because he casually got up, circled around behind me and as I turned he gave me an ear shot. Unfortunately for him, I lost my cool and proceeded to beat the living crap out of him with the butt of my rifle that I just happened to be cleaning at the time. Lucky for him, it wasn't the barrel.

Funny note to the story is that I was all lined up for an article 15 and just before going into the Colonel's office with my Captain, the Sergeant Major wanted to speak to me about the incident. After I told the Sergeant Major the real truth (the other guy lied about how everything happened), he had my back and had the article 15 dropped. Instead, the other guy received the article 15, restricted for months and basically humiliated by the entire battalion since things like that spread fairly quickly... especially at over-seas posts.

BTW, that's the day I realized how much pull the Sergeant Major really has and why he was that rank. He basically told the Colonel what was going to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Proud American Patriot

Thanked 3,402 Times in 908 Posts

Supposedly being able to take a punch is all fine and dandy but a sucker punch is likely to include a bottle or knife or some other weapon. And even an empty hand can have a lot of destructive force in it. So given the situation laid out in the OP, programming the technique I described above is probably the best way to condition yourself to defend against a surprise attack from beside or behind you: twist, duck, block, and counterattack.

This of course is assuming situational awareness has failed, which might happen to any of us in a public place I suppose. But make that as unlikely as you can. Be aware and be vigilant, especially if you have the appearance of a loyal American and you are in a place where there might be liberal bigots about.

Any defense should include an assumption that the initial blow might very well be followed by more, maybe from multiple assailants. This is why it is important to counterattack more or less immediately. But not blindly.

Learning how to fall and good ground-fighting technique are also important since even a deflected blow might knock you down. If you are knocked out cold you will fall like a sack of potatoes, but if you are just dazed your body is likely to fall in the way you have programmed it to fall.

If you carry a gun, practice falling and then drawing your gun and bringing it into a shooting position (obviously making sure it's unloaded and following all safety procedures). When I go to the range I practice shooting from various prone positions, and the possibility of getting knocked down is one of a few reasons that kind of practice is useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Target Shooter

These were to the side and one was towards the front & side. And don't talk about SITUATIONAL AWARENESS & NOT BEING THERE in the first place. This is just dumb. People are just walking home and doing daily task that are being setup. I'm sure once they hit the lottery, then they can move out of their crap neighborhood, but until then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9sz42Y1_Wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNASEz19feA

So I'm looking for a ONE MOVE/TECHNIQUE that fits all. I know this isn't really possible, but ok...as close as possible to fitting all.

Why just one move, well it's because most people won't really spend the time, effort, money, blood and sweat to become Trained Fighters, which is the highest form of training.

I have this 1 move, and I'd just like to see what others think. And my 1-move also serves other areas of condition & fitness ..meaning, you'll get toned in certain areas of your body and increased cardio, training it.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Cool dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KravMagoo View Post
These were to the side and one was towards the front & side. And don't talk about SITUATIONAL AWARENESS & NOT BEING THERE in the first place. This is just dumb. People are just walking home and doing daily task that are being setup. I'm sure once they hit the lottery, then they can move out of their crap neighborhood, but until then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9sz42Y1_Wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNASEz19feA

So I'm looking for a ONE MOVE/TECHNIQUE that fits all. I know this isn't really possible, but ok...as close as possible to fitting all.

Why just one move, well it's because most people won't really spend the time, effort, money, blood and sweat to become Trained Fighters, which is the highest form of training.

I have this 1 move, and I'd just like to see what others think. And my 1-move also serves other areas of condition & fitness ..meaning, you'll get toned in certain areas of your body and increased cardio, training it.
The closest to a "one move to rule them all" would be Tony Blauer's flinch spear. I'd suggest maybe 'movement', but the nature of a sucker punch means you'll be caught flat footed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apok View Post
The closest to a "one move to rule them all" would be Tony Blauer's flinch spear. I'd suggest maybe 'movement', but the nature of a sucker punch means you'll be caught flat footed.
My technique would defend against an attack from the rear :D
Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Cool dude

Quote:
My technique would defend against an attack from the rear :D
What's that then? Please share.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fertig View Post
sucker him first. When you know you are going to have to fight, use body language, open palms displayed, high voice, etc. to "disarm" your opponent, then 45 degree angled uppercut-hook with dominant hand to jaw. He goes down, you finish him off. Say he pushed you to law enforcement if they show up.
Although your statement isn't as relevant because it kind of falls under the self awareness thing and you have time to watch for him to throw a punch....it does have some validity.

It reminds me of some other sagely advice:

"If you allow him to finish the words 'Mother F***er' before you slam the top of your forehead into his nose, you've waited too long....."
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
What's that then? Please share.
OK, and I didn't mean to make it sound like I invented this. It's just a common Boxing technique but I've noticed that it has worked well for me, for this problem of getting semi-blindsided by a sucker-punch.

This is based on a lot of sparring 1 on 2 and 1 on 3...as I try to keep them lined up.... they are always trying to get behind and encircle me, and this is when the SP type blindsides are thrown. I also have around 200 videos of just sucker-punches on my hard drives from real fights that I study from.

And I have 2 teenagers in my class that have severe ADD and they often get frustrated from not landing on me when we spar and would often throw SP's at me out of nowhere. At 1st I got mad but then I welcomed it to try to figure out how to address the SP. These kids are very strong & athletic too...one of them did 79 burpees in 2 minutes. I can only do 56. So if they land, it's going to hurt or maybe KO me.

The move is just a simple, Boxing bob & weave while grabbing both ears w/elbows up, as high as possible. In sparring vs. equally trained partners...ducking and bobbing & weaving just always works, at least once....but usually more than once...it just works. The training would just be squatting in a U-shaped motion....drawing a letter "U" as you squat up & down, side to side.

Then you work in the pivot & quarter turn to face your Attacker (as you come up)....since he's probably sucker-punching you from the side or side-rear.

Next would be the Return with hook punches on both sides, using the momentum as you come up. Mike Tyson does this a lot.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
Cool dude

Quote:
OK, and I didn't mean to make it sound like I invented this. It's just a common Boxing technique but I've noticed that it has worked well for me, for this problem of getting semi-blindsided by a sucker-punch.

This is based on a lot of sparring 1 on 2 and 1 on 3...as I try to keep them lined up.... they are always trying to get behind and encircle me, and this is when the SP type blindsides are thrown. I also have around 200 videos of just sucker-punches on my hard drives from real fights that I study from.

And I have 2 teenagers in my class that have severe ADD and they often get frustrated from not landing on me when we spar and would often throw SP's at me out of nowhere. At 1st I got mad but then I welcomed it to try to figure out how to address the SP. These kids are very strong & athletic too...one of them did 79 burpees in 2 minutes. I can only do 56. So if they land, it's going to hurt or maybe KO me.

The move is just a simple, Boxing bob & weave while grabbing both ears w/elbows up, as high as possible. In sparring vs. equally trained partners...ducking and bobbing & weaving just always works, at least once....but usually more than once...it just works. The training would just be squatting in a U-shaped motion....drawing a letter "U" as you squat up & down, side to side.

Then you work in the pivot & quarter turn to face your Attacker (as you come up)....since he's probably sucker-punching you from the side or side-rear.

Next would be the Return with hook punches on both sides, using the momentum as you come up. Mike Tyson does this a lot.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Yeah this is idea is basically what I did when I was mobbed, although with better form. lol

It's a good all around defence technique when you're in a fight. The only problem is when you don't yet realise you're in one.

I remember an occasion when I when I had just graduated from the RAN. We were in a country pub and pretty full of ourselves. I saw an attractive local girl dancing by herself on the dance floor and thought I'd try my luck with her. Little did I know that every sailor in the place had been hitting on her all night as they always do every time a class graduates and she was quite over it.

I sauntered over, flashed a winning smile and started to dance with her. In the corner of my eye I caught the movement of her right hand and managed to duck back just fast enough as her fist whipped past my face! No time to put my dukes up at all.

I put my hands up in surrender and retreated to the bar as everyone had a good laugh at my expence!
The Following User Says Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
I put my hands up in surrender and retreated to the bar as everyone had a good laugh at my expence!
Thanks, that was a funny story. I lol'ed.