Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobs - Diabetic Food Preps

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  contact00 
#1 ·
I watched the film Panic Room last night. Although it wasnt well researched Diabetic wise it did make me think.

I must remember to put Food into the BoBs to keep up blood sugars and not have it all non-sugar. My Dads a type 2 Diabetic and he uses Cheese Sandwiches to take his blood sugar up when its low. These ofcourse cant be that portable, but I think I will get some full sugar drinks and biscuits anyhow.

#2 ·
I saw that movie also, and you are right - not well researched at all about diabetes but decent movie none the less.

Being a type 1 diabetic may I make some suggestions. Consider some of the food bars specifically for diabetics like the Glucerna brand - they release glucose into the system at a controlled rate and will keep blood sugar at a stable level over a period of time and they don't take up much space in your BOB. For low blood sugars, instead of full sugar drinks - go to your local drug store and by a container of glucose tablets. They cost about 5 bucks, are specifically for treating low BG, will keep better, and treat more lows for the space in your BOB.

One needs to remember - this isn't about feel good tasty food - it's about survival in the most literal form.

On a personal everyday note - a cheese sandwich isn't the best choice for correcting low blood sugar. Absorption rate is unpredictable and the cheese is full of fat which screws with glucose absorption. Consider keeping around small bottles of orange juice - tropicana sells them that don't have to be refrigerated you can buy by the case at your local bulk store.

Just my two cents.

#20 ·
Well said, I am a type 2 with both high and low issues. I have weaned myself off of any meds but I still am stock piling 70/30 novilin just in case. Its good for about a year if you keep it cold, my wife who is a nurse says it keeps longer then that.

For food I have turned to lean meats like fish, vennison and rabbit. I get my complex carbs from Potatoes and Carrots, Apples and breads. I f I lose the breads I will eat more potatos and fruit. An apple will pick you up quick because of the sugar so half an apple and some potato and fish would go a long way to keeping me on a balanced diet. I try to eat about 65/75 carbs per meal 3 times per day. My sugar averages 110 with this diet and I am losing weight. One year ago I was in the Hospital with a 545 blood sugar. I am lucky to be alive. I was almost killed by Mountain dew and ice cream. For me there is no BOB as I am staying in my house on 10 acres nestled into a small community living on a 260 acre private lake. I am growing all of my own food with our own ducks, rabbits and a lake full of fish and tons of other wildlife. I had Snapping turtle soup two weeks ago , it was awsome. My main concern is making electricity so I can maintain my freezer and frig. We are canning now. Kingfish

#4 ·
Have either of you with Type I heard of Gabriel Cousens and his program to drastically reduce insulin intake, or even reverse diabetes, by eating a raw food diet? I'm type II and I'm going to experiment with this diet. I'd recently met a guy with Type I and he rarely needs insulin anymore.

I think this diet would work well in a SHTF or PAW situation. Living more on wild edibles, fresh gardened greens, and game/fish.

Link to Gabriel Cousens

Reactions: alergyfree
#7 ·
I've never heard of this guy's diet. Although it is possible to reduce the amount of insulin needed, for a type 1 who makes little to no insulin at all, I cannot see how there would be no need at all for it. But thanks, I'll check it out.

Steve, hope your wrong about being a gonner if TSHTF - Less food would mean less insulin needed. I currently keep a 90 day supply, I'm on an insulin pump, but am fortunate enough to have my best friend as a pharmacist. So unless it's a total colapse, I'll be good one way or the other.

#16 ·
That is a good question - I think for me being type 1 diabetic was one of the reasons for me wanting to be more prepared as it is much more important than it would be for a normal person.

Special diet will not keep a type 1 going, picture a car with no gas in the tank - doesn't matter how much you tune up the engine you're not going anywhere. Insulin is required to live, and by definition type 1's don't produce any insulin - the only known ways of getting it currently are injection or inhalation - pills won't cut it either.

I've got about 1 year worth of insulin and several thousand test strips stored away and I rotate through them. I was able to acquire this for free by joining a test study group for an experimental treatment (I was control group - so carried on as normal just recorded everything I did) we don't get paid in Canada for this, but I got a huge stockpile of supplies. If SHTF I'll be getting a lot more exercise which would mean using less insulin and I could probably stretch this out beyond 1 year.

I have a very efficient small refrigerator and a solar panel/battery which will power it to store my insulin if the mains power fails.

If society doesn't restore itself, or I'm not able to aquire black market insulin after a year or so by trading gold etc. then I'm pretty much done for but at least I will have done all I can :thumb:

#11 ·
No offence taken - Insulin will store for 30 days unrefrigerated and 1 year refrigerated. Since I'm on the pump, my Dr. writes the prescription for 3 viles per month. I use a little over 2 per month. Refill my prescription 1 week before 30 days which is what the insurance allows, throw in some samples from the Dr. and the "stockpile" is in the works.

#12 ·
Yeah I often wonder that too, My grandmother and uncle are diabetics, cannot remember type one or two. I do remember in Alas, Babylon in the book diabetics died after they couldn't keep insulin cold so they could take it.

#13 ·
My daughter is a type 1 also. In addition to that she has Celiac disease. Which is essentially a allergy to wheat gluten. So she cant have anything with wheat or gluten. This makes storing preps for her a nighmare. I ahve been working a insulin stockpile for her as well as the testing equipment. I finally have a couple thousands test strips and several meters for her, but the insulin needing refridgeration is a real hurdle.

#14 ·
That's tough for sure - My thoughts on refrigeration are if we get to a point where electricity is an issue, I would dig as deep as I could with post hole diggers, bury a PVC pipe with caps and keep it stored in the ground. Not optimum by any means but it would keep it cool and prevent from freezing also.

#19 · (Edited)
I didn't know much about this myself, but there was a good discussion about in here on this message board - I think the conclusion was it is quite hard to accomplish extraction of insulin from animals.

Maybe if you have the resources of a doctor or pharmacist in your group it might be smart to stock up on a few books on the subject and supplies just in case - but storing manufactured insulin is probably more realistic as the modern kinds are good for 1-2 years depending on when you get it.

Here is a recent discussion on this board:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=33479&highlight=insulin+extraction

#22 ·
I am in the beginning stages of stockpiling my insulin. Also, some insulins have a 2 year shelf life if kept refrigerated. Maybe that's something we could all look into.
Google "thermoelectric coolers"...

For those with a DIY bent:

http://customthermoelectric.com/tecs_vmax.html

These devices connected to a small solar panel and battery system would work well to keep such a small thermal mass as insulin cool.

Just a thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.