Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Are there books/websites on long term food storage/supply storage and shelf life ???

9K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  yelruh 
#1 ·
So until I started asking - I didn't know how many questions I have!!!!:eek::
So I thought before I go on and on one at a time - perhaps there is an existing resource that goes into the specifics of long term food/supply storage. Like - how many years could a can of unopened mayo stay on a shelf before it is unsafe (could it be different from the use by date printed on the jar???) And how do you use Mylar for food storage??? And could a can of tomatoes - due to acidity and and commercial canning methods be good indefinitely? And do home canned goods have a suggested use by date? And does it matter if they are proteins or acids/ canned or pressure cooked?
And should I have posted this in the recipe section?
And if looking for a resource on other subjects - like - can Mylar be used to store wool blankets -should I post that question here?
And in general - is there a book/website that details prep/survivalist storage in general???
Or a comprehensive list itemizing what you should have for proper preparedness?
Man! I have so many questions!!!!:xeye:
Thank again guys! So far I have really beganing to learn how little I know and there for am ready to learn! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
You do have a lot of questions! While this page won't answer all of them it should keep you busy with many of your long term food storage questions: http://rethinksurvival.com/net-guide/long-term-food-storage-and-bulk-foods/. It's basically my compilation of food-related info.

As for your specific questions, little is good indefinitely, except for maybe salt and honey. Canned foods should be good for a long time but may lose some nutrition and perhaps taste as well.

I generally ignore dates on any canned or packaged food... do first-in/first-out rotation and you'll be fine.

Can mylar be used to store wool blankets? I see no reason to wate mylar bags on storing something that should store just fine as long as it's kept dry.

Books? Do an Amazon search.... websites... there are many, including this one.

Lists? Also, many lists. I keep some on my website, I'm sure there are a few here, and another good list is found in the LDS Preparedness Manual.

#5 ·
Can mylar be used to store wool blankets? I see no reason to wate mylar bags on storing something that should store just fine as long as it's kept dry.
:) I was wondering - for long term storage at bug out location - where I wasn't certain if I could protect against moths- or rot? Would Mylar be the best? Or plastic bags just as good? Or I guess that makes me wonder if proper bug out shelters are built in a method as to insure moisture/ insects are completely impossible.
Having lived on boats for years - and now residing on the Olympic Peninsula - we are of the mindset - Rust,Rot and Mildew - never sleep. So we always prep our boats for such. Likewise wrap wool to protect from insects. It only takes one.
Maybe it's time I get all intensive on the Emergency Shelter front :eek:
I am trying to stagger my efforts!!!:eek::

#4 ·
Try Your Mormon Church

I'm not Mormon. Agnostic. THEY are good people and have been doing the prep thing for many many years. Mature technology and information. They can provide just about anything you can possibly imagine and a whole lot more. They won't bite you.

Bad mayo is responsible for thousands of deaths and has probably by itself changed European history. Toss it if out of date. The "two penny ordinary" eatery and bad home made mayo was a crap shoot. You might live...you might not. AUGHH!

There are cheaper, easier ways to store stuff not using Mylar and O2 absorbers which are hyped to separate you from your money. Not necessary IMHO. There are many better, $cheaper$ methods. Again...the Mormon Chruch. HB of CJ (old coot) :)

#12 ·
That's what I mean about the information being incorrect. Properly canned, home canned meats will last as long as commercially canned. And there are several canneries as well as the USDA or FDA (forgot which) on record as saying they are safe to eat indefinitely as long as they remain properly sealed. Taste and texture can go downhill over the years, but with some foods, that would take a very long time. I've eaten commercial beef stew and chili that was over 10 years old, stored in hot conditions, and tasted identical to brand new. Tuna on the other hand, not so good.

#11 ·
Utah University has a website with page after page of food storage info. I cant post a link since Im logged in on my mobile but if you Google it you should be able to find it pretty easily. I've spent days on that site reading and printing off publications for my binder.
I also recommend the University of GA website for info on home canning, pickling, curing, and dehydrating. Lots of good info there.

#21 ·
Like - how many years could a can of unopened mayo stay on a shelf before it is unsafe (could it be different from the use by date printed on the jar???) And how do you use Mylar for food storage??? And could a can of tomatoes - due to acidity and and commercial canning methods be good indefinitely? And do home canned goods have a suggested use by date? And does it matter if they are proteins or acids/ canned or pressure cooked?
What I've found is do a search on this site with what you are interested in knowing about. You end up reading lots of threads and finding out lots of various information. Tomatoes and fruit like pineapple do have a short shelve life because the acid in them attacks the interior of the commercial can. Other items will last longer than their use by dates, but I try and use canned tomatoes within a couple of years of when they are dated.

Mayo, I've had mixed luck with. It will last longer than it's best use date, if it is a quality product. The generic store brand maybe fine, but we've found that Hellman's lasts longer than it's best use date by at least 8 months. I buy it on sale and stock up. I usually get about a year's supply at once.

Mylar for wool blankets. That might be a great idea for protecting them against moths, but I don't know. I know I've seen rifle sized ones.

#23 ·
Another thing to think about is balancing your preps. Don't go out and buy a year's worth of meat and then not have any water or something to heat it with.

I stock up when things are on sale and I have the money, so it's a balancing act. Pasta is on sale this week, how much do I have? how much do I want? how much can I afford? If I buy it on sale how much will it save me in the next few months that I can spend on other things. As I said a balancing act.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.