Survivalist Forum banner

Prepping: Long term storage food from Canneries and short term storage discussion.

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 ·
I don't know how many of you are into home prepping. I realize that survivalism and prepping is different but there is some overlap. I have been doing it for a long time but today was my first time going to a cannery. it was very interesting and i picked up some long term storage goods for almost nothing.

did a vidio on it and other short and long term food storage i do.

http://youtu.be/haMHcmTVn9M

#3 ·
That is true but they don't have nearly the same selection on the website and you have to pay shipping. I do suggest getting a few of their cookbooks from the website. They use only ingredients that you can get from the canneries and they have a lot of good ideas. It makes it easy to start getting the long term storage food into your rotation and regular diet. If your used to eating junk food or what not and then suddenly you are eating nothing but whole wheat bread, beans/rice based meals, and everything home cooked a very surprising thing happens. You get extremely sick even though the food is technically better for you. Just ask anyone how has changed their diet quickly.

#4 ·
I have quite a few food buckets with rice, flour etc in them. All grains have larvae in them that can mature into bugs and make the grains look unpallatable. Someone gave me a tip and said that if you brings grains home from the store put them in a freezer for about 5 hrs or overnight and it kills the larvae and they will not mature into bugs and ruin your grains. I have been doing this with all grains, cake mixes etc. As I purchase I keep adding to my large buckets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.