Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 4,503 Times in 1,861 Posts

Advertise Here

Before I started doing any mechanical adjustments to the rifle, I would first try different ammo. The ammo can make a huge difference. And I did not see where the OP mentioned what ammo he was using. If the ammo is crap the groups will be crap.

Al
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Diehl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 6,995 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglenn View Post
That is abnormally bad grouping. Check before you re-crown, as the bore is likely chrome lined. Anyone know off hand if re-crowning a chrome lined bore/muzzle will screw up anything?? Would the crowning tool just mess up the chrome and chip it? Never thought of that...
It will not.. I have re-crowned many chrome lined barrels thru the years and have never had an issue with flaking or braking the chrome away from the barrel at all. As stated earlier I just re-crowned my Saiga and improved my groups by at least a 1/4" to a 1/2".

Even with canted sights at 25 yards you can establish part of the problem. If the front site is canted then the 3 shot group will all be off the same amount in the same direction. If the crown is bad. They will all be off a little in different directions. Like Al said. Ammo plays an important part in this issue...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hard Hittin 54r For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Who is #1?

Thanked 2,209 Times in 987 Posts

Crown first, ammo second. Reason is because when you have a barrel with a bad crown,
shooting better ammo just complicates the problem. In fact I suggest you get the cheapest
ammo you can get and go from there. With a new crown it will make cheap ammo look good
and match look great. If a gunsmith says it's not the crown then continue with Process of
elimination.
The Following User Says Thank You to Systematic Mechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,266 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
It has to be the operator. AK platform rifles can be cobbled together from rough parts cut from the steel of rusted out tanks destroyed and left on WWII battle fields by unskilled peasants drunk on vodka and shoot sub-MOA groups with ammo loaded in a hut in Siberia by drunken convicts using pliers and a wooden dowel and unknown type of powder measured from a keg with a cut off shell casing and be 100% reliable in the worst conditions imaginable having been lubed with used lard.
Bwaaaahahahahahaaa...awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to howyadoin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 AM

Thanks for all the responses and tips guys. I ended up taking it to a gunsmith builder and he noticed the problem right away. His explaination went way over my head but the gist of it was the barrel was not mounted correctly by century when it was put together, it was somehow crooked and after taking it apart completely, saw the barrel was actually curved slightly.

Nice.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Hiker

is this another example ...of ya git whut ya pay for?
The Following User Says Thank You to deadair For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Ham Technician

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,396 Posts

I hate to tell the OP this.
When you skimp and buy cheap made AK's like the WASR's its a crap shoot (literally thats what your shooting). You get either a good one or a dud, you got a dud.
Sell the gun and move on to another AK from a quality builder. Do not try and put more money in that gun you will not be happy. Call it a learning experience and take a loss.
Look at the converted Saiga's or an older Chinese/Polytech.
In order of which countries have the best made AK's it is Russian->Chinese->Yugoslavian->Romanian. I'm not sure where the Bulgarian AK 47 is in there but its an excellent gun also.
AK's can shoot flawless, but have horrible accuracy, its all part of the AK legacy.

WASR=low end, you get what you pay for. Its the Hi- Points of AK's
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Rocky river, I understand that and yes I sold it. Sold it to a pawn shop and they surprisingly gave me what I paid for it. So I took that money, bought quite a bit of extra ammo for my other rifles and got a couple accessories for them as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Ham Technician

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb88 View Post
Rocky river, I understand that and yes I sold it. Sold it to a pawn shop and they surprisingly gave me what I paid for it. So I took that money, bought quite a bit of extra ammo for my other rifles and got a couple accessories for them as well.
You won't be sorry. Another AK will come along that is of better quality that will function better and make you happier. Not being happy with a gun that is protecting you and your loved ones lives with, makes for a mentally un happy you.
When people think of a gun being defective, its usually because it jams, however with the AK thats not the case, its problems lies with horrible accuracy (defective ones) and even the worst of AK's will feed ammo, but its like a luck of the draw to hit the target where you intended.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,764 Posts

All stamped AK's have the potential to have crooked barrels. It nature of how the barrel is pressed into the front trunion at the factory. While it's more comon on the Romanians it has been seen on the Russian Saigas and stamped Arsenals.

It's best to send the gun back to the manufacturer and get it fixed. Once it's fixed test fire it and sell it. That way you don't pass that problem on to another fellow shooter.

We've all done it but try to learn from that lapse in judgment and do the right thing next time. I did it when I was a younger shooter with a defective shotgun and a friend pointed out my error in my ways -- passing on a dud of a gun to someone else.

When it happened to me again, it was a Vector Uzi, the firing pin bent and gouged out the firing pin hole causing the gun to stop firing. I sent the complete bolt assembly back to Vector who replaced it. I then test fired it and sold it.

That's doing your due dilligence as a shooter and not passing on a dud/problem to the next unsuspecting buyer.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post: