Survivalist Forum banner

**Ladies Section** Time to shape up!

40K views 276 replies 59 participants last post by  Mogli 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay Ladies,

For me the CT. shooting was a red line event just like 911, 2001. I think we've just had a major paradigm shift and our freedoms are going to come under attack.

The gun forums are going crazy about the 2nd and I'm hearing a massive amount of talk about dealing with mental health. Now I understand this all sounds good but this is especially frightening to me because we could be giving a lot more freedom to the govt over gun rights and mental health. I personally don't want the govt. anywhere near me in deciding 'my state of mind'. Now it's obvious we do have citizens who are severely mentally ill and must be cared for. But the new talk is about identifying people who could have a mental illness. I think this opens up an extrememly slippery slope.

But I don't want to turn this into a political conversation which would be better discussed on a different forum.

My purpose is I'm out of shape and wonder if some other ladies would like to get a work out program together and kinda have a support group? I'm not trying to say we all do the same workout, just that we start moving!

It is imperative, even if a SHTF situation does not become a reality, that we shape up.

I'm 50 years old, have raised 3 kids, and have extreme body pain which I can't identify. I also had a severe whiplash neck injury just over 3 months ago which has really laid me up and I've gained about 20 lbs. from just needing to take it easy! I guess I forgot the 'take it easy' part about my diet. :D:

Just a side note. My son dropped a 1,500 gallon water tank on my head! Thus, the neck injury! I'm lucky I'm not dead! Oh the joys of prepping. :D:

Anyway,

Today, I'm going to force my arse out the door today and go for a walk. I'll check back in later! :thumb:

For all you ladies who don't need to shape up...... I'm jealous!

See less See more
#39 ·
I'm in too. The hospital where I work supported the Can a thon this year and
turned it into a contest between departments. Our dept. won a free month to
the onsite gym. I'll try it. I'll also pull out my sit on a chair belly dancing
DVD I've only used twice since buying it two years ago.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and although my meds help to keep my numbers low, I waited
until I had peripheral neuropathy in both feet before getting brave enough to see a doctor.
Now I can't walk long distances, jump, run, or oh my gosh...do a burpee. But I can walk
some, and do stay in place exercises. I love music and that can be a great motivator. If
I could just turn off the stupid television....

Of course the greatest motivator is ladies like ya all. Thanks for being there.

*Badgebunny- I hope your kitty is well.

*Gypsymoonfarm- Be careful out there.

#43 ·
Hi ladies!
Woke up with a cold this morning so I went back to bed after bringing the kids to school.

I pressed snooze and reset the alarm so many times I basically slept the day away BUT

I kept enough time to do my workout before I go pick them up!!
morning workout done! (just a little late) 1hr of snow shoveling still to go.

Oh! I wanted to warn you guys that days 3 and 4 were the hardest for me! OMG, I thought I was going to die! but I kept with it and started feeling much better the next day, more and more energy AND now at about 2 weeks I can see a difference!!!! (a very slight difference, but I can see it!whoo!)
thanks to all of you. I tried sparkpeople, I tried a facebook group, I tried workout buddies, but nothing has worked as well as this forum/thread!!

#44 ·
Well, yah, Mogli, but I don't need to taunt you! ;) This kind of change is hard enough to make without folks tempting you with what you don't need ... I wish my hubby would realize that ... As a "treat" he took me to What-A-Burger for lunch ... (I told you! LOL)

I was really good ... got the grilled chicken sandwich (with multigrain bun) with no mayo ... Just extra tomatos. I should have gotten a water to drink but I had a diet coke ... Bad me ... :( So my "punishment" when I got home was to walk the dogs ... They think they've died and gone to heaven :D: One walk separate this morning and then one walk together this afternoon! They are happy, happy dogs!! :D: :D:)

I thought today would be really hard but so far it's been not so bad ...

Extremejoy ... you take care of yourself ... Take some zinc ... and throw in some Vitamin C for good measure. I dunno, I've seen different studies that say Vit. C works, Vit. C doesn't work but hey ... It won't hurt, so go for it!

#45 ·
well just celebrated 47 and my I do have dimples and jiggles and rolls :eek: and 50lbs to loose, had a neck injury too a while back so permanent damage there but I have to live with it and working in an office at a computer all day is not helping me. I'm so tired :sleep: and have some aches here and there. So I'm in :) I need to get in shape for those self defense classes I want to take in the new year

#46 ·
Hi Everybody,

I made it through day 3 with a 3 mile walk. I ate fairly well today. Not great but not terrible. I did have a roll, but it was just one roll, not 4!

I had a harder time getting myself out the door but made. I've been following all the drama in the other threads about the fear of new gun regulatons coming. Everybody in the firearms, general discussion, and politic forums are on fire with a lot of different news.

Anyway, what a wonderful relief to come over here and hear all about all of you.

Thank you for doing this with me! It makes all the difference! :)

#47 ·
I agree, Mogli ... the Ladies Section used to get just a passing look, if any, from me (sorry ...) but I was more interested in the guns/gardening/diy forums here.

Now it's the opposite, not in small part to the comaraderie that seems to have formed. Maybe it's because men can't post here anymore; maybe it's because some of the more ... errrr ... ahem ... "harsher" of our fairer sex are no longer with us ... Maybe it's all you "noobs" (Ok -- noobs to me! LOL) are such great folks ... but THIS is the first place I look now! :)

OK, now for confessional ... The meeting was almost my undoing ... I didn't have time to eat anything before we went, although my darling husband had time to stop of at McD's and get a hamburger and fries and eat it in front of me. :( THEN some very nice, I'm sure very well-meaning woman set up a table right behind me full of pumpkin/creme cheese roll slices, german choc cake, oatmeal raisin cookies, etc ... :eek:

The guy to my left (a diabetic who had NO business eating that stuff) immediately filled up a plate to overflowing and came back and sat next to me. Every other word outta his mouth was "You want some" ...:xeye::eek: (OYE, like I would eat off a stranger's plate! :eek::taped:)

Ok ... then I stood around and talked to a friend of mine (while she munched away on a piece of that german choc cake) ... :xeye:

FINALLY, in the car and 2 miles from home the hubby pulls into a ... you guessed it ... MAC-F***ING-DONALDS!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

You know what he says to me?!?!?!!? "I'm hungry ... You want something?" :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Errrr ... I am not ashamed to say I ... aaaaaaaahhhhhhh ... well ... ahem ... I kinda "snapped" ... :D: Bet he doesn't ask me if I wanna eat at McD's EVER again ... ;)

Got home, had a couple of celery sticks with almond butter and a hot tea, got my new quilting magazine and sat down for a little while. Then I went to bed because I couldn't quit thinking about that german choc cake. :taped:

I'm better this morning! :D: AND I didn't crumble like a ... com'on now ... my sense of humor is back ... COOKIE!! :D::rofl::rofl::D:

I had my usual healthy oatmeal with a few walnuts (no sugar) and hot tea this morning. Back to the "grind" ... :D:

#52 ·
I couldnt have done it. good lord. LOL
I would have ate a daily double at mcdonalds (I had one 2 months ago..it was delicious, I'm sorry to say)
and I would have totally ate some of that cheese roll.
I would have ate just veggies or beans the rest of the day to make up for it!!! but no..that would be too much temptation for me.
You go girl. LOL

#48 ·
Sometimes (only sometimes.) it's nice to be single. No one eats things I am trying to avoid in front of me. I think that must be really hard to cope with. I'm used to not wanting what others have, I've been vegetarian since 1986, have always eaten weird. Can't remember when I last ate at a McD's. I don't like what is in their food, that keeps me away. But no one eats cookies in my house, and I don't buy them, they don't sit there and tempt me.
I mentioned health issues, and losing a lot of weight during the worst of it. Due to everything going on, most foods made me sicker, I was eating raw or stir fried veggies, and lots of beans. That's pretty much it, for 2 years. Was too sick to move or exercise, if I made it to the grocery store once a week it was a good week. Other than that I didn't leave the house. 80 pounds off from eating like that. Not a weight loss plan I recommend. :) "Sick as a dog for years" will never be a famous diet :)
These days I eat more normally, (for me anyways, still vegetarian health freak) more cooked food, more things that look like a meal to other people.
Need to do more stretching, but there's no floor space in the house these days. (Mess is out of hand.) I have a space maybe 6 foot long by 3 foot wide in front of the fridge, that's my biggest "workout space" that's available. Maybe that needs to be my project for the day, clear some floor space...
I'll go make myself some more tea and get on that :)

#50 ·
Sometimes (only sometimes.) it's nice to be single. ...
I dunno ... every week when my DH has his days off I am ready to be single again ... ALL THE TIME ... :xeye: ;) Good thing for him I love him! :D:

I did a ton of work in the back yard today. OK, well maybe not a ton, but it sure feels like a ton ... :upsidedown: fixed a fence cleaned off the patio, raked leaves, straightened up the chicken coop, worked with the dogs a little on their manners (which are sorely lacking -- I suspect that's why I wound up with them). They are doing really well but it takes some time. Good thing they are smarter than their "Mom" and catch on to what she wants really quick! :thumb:

Tonight it's Circ de Soleil with friends ... I've wanted to see one of their shows for years! I can hardly wait! :D: I think hubby is staying home -- oh, well ... his loss! :rolleyes: (And YES! Ima gonna eat somethin' before it go! :thumb:)

#49 ·
Wednesday check in:
on the upside: I'm not as hungry as usual because of this cold!lol!

I slept most of the day again but got up in time to workout (I love saying that!!!) before I pick up the boys....

so far today:
15min of shoveling
210 cal on the elliptical
20 squats
12 burpees (modified, old lady version!)
12 leg lifts (front, back and side on ea leg), no weights
12 ea of various arm exercises, no weights

YAY! I did it!

#53 ·
OK ... I drank a beer at Circ de Soleil last night ... but it was a light beer! ;) BTW, the show was WONDERFUL!! I was not ready for it to be over when it was. It is fascinating what people who take really good care of their bodies can do ... :D:

So ... the Old JBT goes back to work this morning (he's already gone actually) so me and the dogs, the cats and the chickens have work to do. How can two people (who are hardly ever at home it seems) make such a mess on the "weekend"?? GAH!

Also, I guess I'll try an exercise DVD today because the wind is blowing so hard I'm not sure I could get down the street and back if I were to walk. Seems winter might finally be here ... I can't remember the last time I've seen 60 degree days, day after day after day, in December.

#54 ·
Thursday check in:
morning workout done!

I am very humbled by all of you who are making a point of eating well-even in holiday season! I had home made bread, turkey soup and gingerbread for breakfast!lol! (with icing, yeah, I admit it!)

I'm baking every day it seems so there will be no calorie restriction until after the holidays! For now, I'm happy with my morning workouts!

#55 ·
Greetings Ladies!

Hope you guys do not mind me jumping in here too!
I have been working on my eating habits; studying a lot about going Raw or Eating for Life type foods ( David Wolfe ).
I have been a vegetarian for a few years and my body recently pushed me to let all go and become a vegan. I can’t really handle bread products so I have been working in the raw foods and I am surprised to say I fell pretty darn good.
I am currently at 220lb so I am considered obese; I really want to get down to 160lb as with my height and bone structure that would be the ideal spot for me.

I need to start working out but my work schedule keeps me from having any free time as I drive an hr each way to work on top of my hrs. And the alarm of “excuses, excuses” just popped into my head *l*
Like some of you I had to recover some an accident though I am lucky to be alive I still know I need to get the weight off to regain my life.

Regards,
VW

#56 ·
::waving::

OK Mogli... I do better with a group, than relying on my own self-discipline, so I'm in. I'm not a walker... but yoga, tai chi, pilates... hell, even 10 min of standing meditation is more than I've done in the last few years. I have to get in shape, 'coz hubs never had the stamina to begin with (rheumatic fever as a kid). I'm the grunt labor around here... and lately, have been learning to "live with looking at it" instead of dealing with the mess. Not good. Pool opens in 3 months.

I hurt my ankle more than a year ago; some sort of tendon thing or achilles pull. It's only now healed up enough I think I can stand on it one-legged, again. Honestly, officer! I literally couldn't exercise!! ;)

#57 ·
I need to join this!!! I gave up soda 2 months ago. Doesn't sound like much but I LOVE soda and have had it for 15 years. That being said, I did not give up caffeine. I'm not suicidal!

I need to start working out. I have a minor surgery coming up in January and decided that I need to get a cardio routine going. I'm thinking tae-bo (I used to LOVE that) or something along that lines. I am not one for walks because we live in the country with small roads and some drivers like to just get too close for comfort for me. Years ago, someone clipped my mom on her bike.

Anyone work out inside without a machine?

#58 ·
Jinxedsydney: When I can, I work out to pilates and ballet conditioning videos; they require very little space and still can kick your butt. I also gave up soda a few yrs ago but I swear by the Sodastream (http://www.sodastreamusa.com/) I love carbonated water and found that it is much cheaper to just make my own. I also use liquid Stevia flavors to make my own soda's (which my man's kids love too!). That may be something worth looking into. Still working on giving up caffeine though.

#60 ·
Friday check-in

morning workout done!
Still have this icky cold so I'm going for a nap. It's snowing quite a bit so I expect I'll have shoveling to do when I wake up.

Also, I wanted to tell you guys: I have a goal!! I'm going skiing with my Dad in a few weeks (on mountain trails near where he lives) I honestly don't think I could handle those trails as I am now so I'm very happy to have a few weeks to get ready!!
wish me luck!
: D
ej

#61 ·
OK, ladies ... yesterday started out good, but ended as a "bust" for me ... :(

I learned that a friend who has been sick, and last everyone had heard was getting better, passed away yesterday and ... well ... you know. I haven't forgotten that I promised to post some books in the "book thread" but another friend needs some help moving his sister's stuff today (she had a stroke) so I'm gonna be "out" for a few days ...

Just know I'm doing the best I can and am thinking about you all ... I'll be back in a few days.

And one last thing ... Got someone you care about? Do something special for them. Better yet, TELL them ... Things don't always work out the way you think they will. You might not have "all the time in the world".

Hugs to you all ... mostly because I need one, but also because, although we've never met in person, I know only the smallest amount of information about you, and we will probably never meet because of geography, because of this forum and our chats here, I count you as friends. You gals are a great bunch. Thank you for letting me be a part of that. "See" you in a few days. :)

#62 ·
And one last thing ... Got someone you care about? Do something special for them. Better yet, TELL them ... Things don't always work out the way you think they will. You might not have "all the time in the world".
Amen, Bunny! After coming ridiculously close to losing my dad and DH last year within 3 months of each other, I can definitely echo you there.

Hugs to you all ... mostly because I need one, but also because, although we've never met in person, I know only the smallest amount of information about you, and we will probably never meet because of geography, because of this forum and our chats here, I count you as friends. You gals are a great bunch. Thank you for letting me be a part of that. "See" you in a few days. :)
Me too! It's been such a blessing to be on this board!

Now, I'll quit putting this off and download my workout videos! :thumb:

#64 ·
If shoveling, scraping, and shivering for forty minutes in 29 degrees with 57 mph wind gusts works off calories, then I've gotten my workout today.
My poor little Honda. She's still covered in chunky ice I can't scrape off. I'll have to start her up in a bit so I can drive my six blocks to work. (I would love to walk but my foot neuropathy won't have it. Yes. I'm nutty enough to actually enjoy this cold.)
Have a good day everyone.

#67 ·
In June 2010 I carried 340 lbs on my 6' frame and 57 years old. Thursday this week I weigh 213 lbs. YaY...127 pounds gone but I look like I need to be ironed! LOL seriously. it was all me, no meds, surgery; just exercise and moderation in my eating habits. for my height 190 is my goal. I want to join with yall to listen, share and learn.
thanks

#86 ·
Well done! I am a few inches shorter and wasn't quite as heavy but after nearly a year of doing running+stretchest/callenetics+calisthetics I'm down to 217. Would like to hit 170 this summer.

My theory is "screw the complicated crap, won't have it in a serious shtf anyway" which lead me to doing only easy to do exercises, without gyms and toys.

Running. Basic stretches (which is a lot what callentics is) and the situp-pushup-squat routine. 30 mins a day for all but running. Running takes an hour and I try to do it daily but it comes down to more of a two days on one day off thing. Partly due to body aches and strains while earning my base. I'm told it takes two years to get a runners base and as a severe osteoporosis person in early 40s, I have to have that weight bearing work out.

And I am LOVING feeling strong again. Can't believe I sat around for ten years getting fat and sick.

You can do it, ladies!!

#68 ·
Badgebunny, I am so sorry for your loss and your are in my thoughts and prayers. That is always difficult. :(

Madgie, you are an inspiration to me. I really need to follow your lead on self discipline and self determination!

Extremejoy9, you gave me your cold.... even over the internet!!! It must have been a doozy! And VictorianWolf also, to both of you I'm going to have to write my food down too. I just don't seem to keep proper track without putting it on paper and seeing the facts! :eek:

Sacajaweah, I've read that book about 4 times. I love that story. What an inspiration. The last time I read it was probably about 20 years ago and I think it's time to read it again.

I've missed you all for a couple days. Busy shopping for Christmas and pouring rain so I also missed walking. I did make it out for 3 miles tonight and lucky I went when I did because it's raining cats and dogs again! :xeye:

My diet has been okay. Certainly nothing to brag about but nothing to beat myself up over either.

I've decided if I can just maintain until after New Years than I can really dig in then. I don't think I can really hope to make too much progress before then but I'd at least try to get into the habit of daily exercise. I've really become a slug the last few years.

So on Jan. 1st I'm going to weigh myself and I'll just be honest.... it might be a shock. I haven't weighed myself in a while.

Anyway, how nice to come over here and read about all the progress all you ladies, and possibly some gents, are making. I'm so happy we're all doing it together as your all such an inspiration to me.

Thank you. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.