Survivalist Forum banner

Restoring Windows Vista to 'new' condition?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  haha49 
#1 ·
We're selling the Compaq desktop that my wife bought before we met each other at a garage sale this weekend. The computer is less than 2 years old and was top of the line at the time, it was never used for bills, etc. as she had a laptop. There isn't much sensitive data and I've copied all pictures, etc. onto an external harddrive. I'd still feel better if I could completely wipe the hard drive so it was like it was 100% new. I've tried the restore function and it only goes back a few months... There is no disk to a complete restore like I've done to my PC. What do I do?

#3 ·
Another thing to mention; if the computer didn't come with a vista reinstall disk, it probably has a recovery partition hidden away on the machine that you can use to "redo" the Vista install. It is either something you access at bootup by hitting a certain key, or it is a program included on your Vista machine that lets you make your own "vista install" disk. I don't know what model of computer you have though, so I couldn't tell you anything specific.

Also, follow Solidus' advice for wiping that hard drive... you do NOT know at this point what kind of sensitive data may be on there, and there is no reason for you to risk it.

#4 ·
As above if you have the install disc this is the best way. i would recommend using one of the following if you need help using them let me know.

Killdisk

or
dban

The documentation on that will show you how to use to software but if you have any questions let me know. I use one or the other to wipe hard drives. I would recommend just doing a one pass of Zero's and then reloading Vista.

BUT REMEMBER

If vista is on a recovery partition hidden away like d3athp3nguin said and you wipe the whole hard drive you will lost that partition. I don't know your tech level so to speak. But you can just delete the partition that has to OS on it and leave the recovery partition in tack but that can be a little tricky if you mess up you could accidentally delete that partition, and you would be screwed.

#6 ·
Ok... Data that is erased is never ever gone.. you can delete it.. you can write over top of it after.. Its still there.. just pain to recover it.. 1 thing for say an hp computer during boot up it says press f12 then it goes into an install mode you do A fresh install.. TO get the disks for reinstalling you create them inside the os with the backup

2 Dual lazer dvds dvd-DL or 4 dvd-r or dvd+r alol you need to restor it to factory defaults..

not my video.. but walks you through it.. compaq and hp same...

A computer top of the line 2 years ago is almost worthless.. just so you know price wise.. I see alot of people selling stuff for more then what you can get it new but they paided alot of money a few years ago.. what type of computer model is it Ill look it up and give you an esmite to build the same computer from just buying parts..

#7 ·
You don't need to sell it with an Operating System on it, just sell the machine. The person can install their own OS of their choosing. Wipe the hard drive completely and put a for sale sign on it.

A two year old machine may be worthless as a 'gaming' machine but it still has plenty of power to do anything most people do at home. I have three machines and one is 4 years old and it runs what I need just fine. The other is 2 years old and has the latest MS Office Business, Photoshop, and you name it and I have no problems with speed. The newest is Vista equipped and I transfer files between this and the 2nd with no issues.

#8 ·
Or make the recovery disks then throw any hardrive you want in there a new one that has no data on it is best when you can get a 1tb for 100 bucks and smaller ones are cheaper.. it wouldnt cost much to put a 50 gig hardrive in it as long as you can recover cost but most people dont want to install a new os on the computer and dont know how..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.