Survivalist Forum banner
4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Dr.Gee 
#1 ·
Ok, new enemy, Windows Vista. It now takes the place over Windows ME.

Yes, Vista is beautiful in appearance, but her looks are deceiving. :(

I've finally taken the plunge and installed SP1, and a ton of other updates. And guess what, after waiting what felt like an eternity, my computer had to restart to finish applying the updates.

Well, I restart, I'm at the logon screen with the 'Installing Updates' notification. Five minutes goes by, computer restarts to a black screen. (Yay)

Well, I turn the computer off and on manually, after waiting for a good while to make sure it wasn't doing anything important. (Better safe then sorry.)

Then, on my next boot up, lo and behold, there the error message be. "Winload.exe is either missing or corrupt."

That's when I picked up my computer, and threw it at my monitor after breaking everything else in my home office. Or at least that's what I would have done if I was a man. Instead, I just bit my tongue, and spent thirty minutes looking for my Vista Ultimate installation disk to try to 'repair' the install.

After looking through two boxes of various CD's, I found my old Photoshop set and my old Quake cd-rom. Then after the third box, I finally find it.

I happily pop it in, (the cd) and restart. Vista installer starts to load, then I get a screen saying 'Stop Error 01x01003840x010'. I'm now very happy of course, so I hug my computer and say thank you for NOTHING. I reboot, and try again. Wow, same thing.

Well, I take out the pristine CD, wipe it off with my camera's lens cloth and try again.

BINGO! I'm able to 'fix' the 'winload.exe' problem and finally see my logon screen. But what's this? :eek: "Installing Updates"?! I wait another five minutes, and then It reboots. Guess where it rebooted to? If you said 'Windows Vista?' you FAIL. I got another BlackScreenOfNothing. So I cautiously reboot once again, let it start up, and FINALLY I get to my logon page WITH the password box. I then type in my password (wouldn't you like to know) and I get in Vista... FINALLY! :eek:

But then I get a little box that says 'The program *RunDLL* has stopped working'. The only choice I have here is the little close button.

But wow, way to be vague Vista... Seriously... 'RunDLL', is that like 'RunDMC'? :mad: Didn't think so.

In closing, Vista is my new arch enemy. I'll be installing Xp Pro this weekend, alongside WindowBlinds so I can continue to have my 'vista glass' effects. :)

Now, I'm off to bed. I'll sleep two hours, probably to wake up to a blue screen of death.

But hey, XP is only a day away. :D

Thanks for reading! :p

SOLIDUS

See less See more
#4 ·
good ole vista,
I have never been a fan of any of the windows systems and vista is the worst I have seen. Best of luck with it, XP has its faults but it is workable in its way.
You have my sympathy.
if all else fails a bottle of scoth a hammer and a 9mm cure most of windows ills.
Para

#19 ·
After having a series of PCs since they came out I got a MAC mini last year and love it. I will never go back to windows, or vista or OS2 or whatever garbage they dream up next. Once you go MAC you never go back. All I have to do is turn it on. No virus wear no spy wear, no adjusting this or tinkering with that to get it to run... just turn it on and go... and if I want it can act as a shell for windows program... the best of all worlds and NONE of the PC headaches. I will NEVER own a PC again.....

#11 ·
Being an IT guy (going on 10 years) and build my own systems on the side the only advice I can give is to migrate to Ubuntu or get an XP Pro SP2 license before they stop selling them in July.

Vista really is another ME, and in many tech circles has been marked as the worst MS operating system ever. They have already started on development of Windows 7 to be released to beta in 2009 which proves they are no longer concerned about Vista. You will learn, usually the hard way, MS turns and burns operating systems in the effort to make a buck.

#12 ·
Being an IT guy (going on 10 years) and build my own systems on the side
Yeah, I built this one.

the only advice I can give is to migrate to Ubuntu
There's a reason I use windows. And if I were to start using something else, it'd be OSX again. :)

or get an XP Pro SP2 license before they stop selling them in July.
Already have a copy of Xp with two licenses. (One came off my previous laptop.)

In all honesty, Vista wasn't so bad. It didn't run slow, it didn't crash... But for some reason, the past month it's been a real pain in the rear. I'll see a blue screen three times a day if not more. I don't know what happened.

However, when I quit using Firefox, the BSOD's quit. :eek: (Well, now I'm down to one BSOD a day, maybe two.) :D

#13 ·
I am also a vista hater SOLIDUS. It is installed on my laptop and slows it down something rotten. There's some kind of constant memory caching that goes on, with default settings. I advise you remove that! Although even then your PC will be running at 60% efficiency whilst doing nothing but looking at a blank desktop.

#20 ·
I've had a few Macs Zorba, and I've gone back to windows.

Macs are great, especially for graphic design, and an all around computer. But a Windows computer has a lot more to offer in terms of software, hardware and price.

I still have an old iMac sitting around as my music server. It stays on as long as the power doesn't cut out, which is never. :D And in that time, it never needs a reboot.

OSX is superior to windows. But I don't feel the same way to the hardware. (Not the design though, top notch.)

#23 ·
Advice. Do not install Windows Vista on an older computer that is using an older OS. Vista takes ten times as much memory as ME and XP. Vista users that experience problems is because their system is overloaded and cannot run Vista properly. Sticking with XP or ME is the way to go if you have an older computer that came with these os's.

Vista is basically a beefed up XP with more content in the form of bells and whistles. Microsoft liked the idea of the desktop x with its customizable widgets and side bars that they included their own version in Vista.

Vista takes 10 gigs to load and usually requires more than one onboard processor to function normally. So a duel or a quad is recommended. If you use a single processor you will experience problems.

#24 ·
i bought a dell vista laptop about a year ago...total and complete garbage! Vista was nice for about 2 weeks, and if i would have just kept it offline it would have probably been fine for 3, but i was in online classes and needed to get online. upon which, vista swallowed every virus it could and started slowing down yada yada...Now I'm good with PC's, ive built about half a dozen in the past 4 years, I can troubleshoot and fix problems, and all that jazz. However, it sucked, bad, battery life was nonexistent....

so I did what I have sinced convinced most of my friends to do, gave it to my younger sister (after a fresh install of course) went out and bought my Macbook.

2ghz dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, and integrated grahpics (only downfall)

love me some Mac goodness!

#25 ·
Vista is a 4 Gig (approximate) OS. It literally eats almost 1 full Gig of memory during normal operations. The entire OS is littered with problems and holes. I would recommend dumping it immediately. Go back to XP or switch to Ubuntu (if you some knowledge of CLI instead of GUI).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.